HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Tomorrow could turn out to be an historic day in Quebec City's history, should the Coyotes get relocated here. Or it could be an historic day for Seattle... But if the Coyotes get relocated, and with an expansion looming we have a great shot to get a team back.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 1000
This Jets fan hoping for a Winnipeg Jets vs. Quebec Nordiques game next year!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Tomorrow could turn out to be an historic day in Quebec City's history, should the Coyotes get relocated here. Or it could be an historic day for Seattle... But if the Coyotes get relocated, and with an expansion looming we have a great shot to get a team back.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I'd bet my house on it. I'm that sure Quebec is getting another team.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Fenway

vCash: 600
The NHL won't say a word until near the end of the season but this farce is almost over.

Colisee be ready.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The NHL won't say a word until near the end of the season but this farce is almost over.

Colisee be ready.
Oh dont worry!!! Québec is ready. Its like we have been with a lady doing priliminaries for hours... just ready to get it on!!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Oh dont worry!!! Québec is ready. Its like we have been with a lady doing priliminaries for hours... just ready to get it on!!!!
We are so excited that we are afraid to pop early.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 PM
DJ Omnimaga

There will be no relocation announcement until at least mid April. I'M betting there will be a few news reporting that the new mysterious group is close to reaching a deal with the NHL to keep the team in AZ too until the season is over, while in fact the team is just on the verge of being moved to Quebec, Seattle or Markham.

I hope for a Quebec team soon, but I'll probably wait until the end of the season before getting my hopes up.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
There will be no relocation announcement until at least mid April. I'M betting there will be a few news reporting that the new mysterious group is close to reaching a deal with the NHL to keep the team in AZ too until the season is over, while in fact the team is just on the verge of being moved to Quebec, Seattle or Markham.

I hope for a Quebec team soon, but I'll probably wait until the end of the season before getting my hopes up.
i believe that if there is a relocation, it will be announce before the playoffs, if the Coyotes are looking good to make them, cause they wont want to announce this during the playoffs, and if the playoff run goes long like last year, it would not give a lot of time to that city to get prepared. If they choose Seattle, which will have to renovate the Key arena, then announcement might come in march. If Québec is choosen they could wait till april cause renovation will take less time there.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
i believe that if there is a relocation, it will be announce before the playoffs, if the Coyotes are looking good to make them, cause they wont want to announce this during the playoffs, and if the playoff run goes long like last year, it would not give a lot of time to that city to get prepared. If they choose Seattle, which will have to renovate the Key arena, then announcement might come in march. If Québec is choosen they could wait till april cause renovation will take less time there.
There will be some renovations to Key Arena i doubt it'll do anything major that will actually improve the sights.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Fenway

Quebec has EVERYTHING in place.

Colisee would be fine for 2 years as the new arena next door is built. TVA Sports would carry the games in French and Sportsnet in English.

Seattle and Markham are 2-3 years away and Key Arena just is just awful for hockey.

Quebecor has been soooooooooooooooo quiet you have to think the NHL has told them sit tight.

Go Nordiques

Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Quebec has EVERYTHING in place.

Colisee would be fine for 2 years as the new arena next door is built. TVA Sports would carry the games in French and Sportsnet in English.

Seattle and Markham are 2-3 years away and Key Arena just is just awful for hockey.

Quebecor has been soooooooooooooooo quiet you have to think the NHL has told them sit tight.

Go Nordiques
Yes my thought really, PKP has been talking for 3 years with the NHL and NHL owners, and has been very carefull not to say a word on the subject.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
XX
Lots of Try

So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
There will be some renovations to Key Arena i doubt it'll do anything major that will actually improve the sights.
Funny thing is, even with cosmetic renovations the Key Arena may STILL be better for hockey than Barcley Center where the Islanders are headed

Old
01-31-2013, 12:50 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
As I said last year, if the Yotes are going to get relocated, it won't be announced until after the team's eliminated, whether that be in the regular season or in the playoffs. The last thing that the NHL wants to do is to drive away the relatively few still going away and burn their last attempts to try to squeeze a tiny bit of money back from the situation, after all.

Plus, it's not like QC needs a couple extra months to be ready. They'll be ready if relocation is announced a week or two prior to the preseason.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Yes my thought really, PKP has been talking for 3 years with the NHL and NHL owners, and has been very carefull not to say a word on the subject.
Bettman said last spring he was fully aware of the new TVA Sports.

I honestly think Bettman's endgame was waiting for the CBA to be done. The NHL KNEW
Jamison didn't have the $$$$$ but they wanted to wait for the new deal.

How the Habs feel about this is unknown but I think this could be a win-win for everyone. Certainly Phoenix will make the Northeast cluster stronger.

Quebec City will be a hard sell for most players as unlike Montreal the English language does vanish away from the walled city and and it is not a case of people refusing to speak English to you.....they simply do not know it.

BTW Colisee had the best hot dogs I have ever eaten.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
thom

Quebec city is a great city and it does have tiny pockets of english and its probaly more coservative than Montreal but too many of the players like Shane Doan it could be a culture shock.But Dale Hunter and Stasny Brothers loved it.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Quebec city is a great city and it does have tiny pockets of english and its probaly more coservative than Montreal but too many of the players like Shane Doan it could be a culture shock.But Dale Hunter and Stasny Brothers loved it.
I have a weird memory of Quebec City around 1990.

I work as a free lance cameraman and one Saturday afternoon the Nords hosted the Bruins. The crew was put up in Beauport where believe me NOBODY spoke English and my high school French was hindered with a Boston accent.

The game itself was not memorable but the telecast was as Derek Sanderson went gaga over the Nordiques anthem singer that day. Turns out that in Los Angeles a Bruins fan who worked for Disney also went gaga watching the feed on his dish.

The anthem singer? Celine Dion

Old
01-31-2013, 02:21 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.
~65% of the city does not speak English. And many that claim they do would know little more than basic English.

It would be nearly as hard not knowing French in Quebec as not knowing English in Phoenix.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:29 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
As I said last year, if the Yotes are going to get relocated, it won't be announced until after the team's eliminated, whether that be in the regular season or in the playoffs. The last thing that the NHL wants to do is to drive away the relatively few still going away and burn their last attempts to try to squeeze a tiny bit of money back from the situation, after all.

Plus, it's not like QC needs a couple extra months to be ready. They'll be ready if relocation is announced a week or two prior to the preseason.
I would think that a lot of people would want to see a last game

Old
01-31-2013, 03:20 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
The Nordiques had Dave Chambers and Mark Crawford as coach for a while. One of them didn't speak a single word of French, same for Sakic player. There might have been a few tiny complains by a few medias, but otherwise nobody had any problem with their unilingual anglophone status. On top of that, back then Quebec City was even more Francophone than it is now.

For odd reasons, despite Quebec being much more francophone than Montreal, language issues seems to cause less stir here than there.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:14 AM
madhi19

Quote:
For odd reasons, despite Quebec being much more francophone than Montreal, language issues seems to cause less stir here than there.
The whole language "issue" was always more a Montreal obsession than anything else. For the same reason it was always overhyped by Montreal journalists.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:30 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Funny thing is, even with cosmetic renovations the Key Arena may STILL be better for hockey than Barcley Center where the Islanders are headed
Not really...
  • Key Arena has approx 9,500 reasonably unobstructed seats; Barclay's 14,500
  • Key Arena is ancient; it opened as part of the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle
  • Key Arena has few luxury suites; Barclay's has a whole bunch that generate huge revenues

Old
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Shawa666

Old
01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
The Nordiques had Dave Chambers and Mark Crawford as coach for a while. One of them didn't speak a single word of French, same for Sakic player. There might have been a few tiny complains by a few medias, but otherwise nobody had any problem with their unilingual anglophone status. On top of that, back then Quebec City was even more Francophone than it is now.

That's good to hear. I'd love to see what Tippett and Maloney can do with a nice budget and a dedicated owner. The boring style they play now has more to do with a roster devoid of offensive talent rather than a philosophical choice. At any rate, inheriting those two + the Coyotes roster and farm is a playoff team/contender in a box. Much better for QC than an expansion team. But I have to agree with Lebrun that the league might favor expansion in solid markets like QC and TOR2. A relocation makes more sense for Seattle, which needs a team to hit the ground running.

If I had to choose, I'd easily pick QC. I loved the demonstrations where Nord fans flooded games wearing the blue and cheered. No doubt it'd be an amazing market and place to play.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
For gods sake I hope not. I like the city but I don't wanna live in Montréal #2. To be honest, if you are a tourist, you will be able to get serviced/answered in English without problems. That being said, I think in Downtown MTL you could very well be UNABLE to get answered/services in French even if you beg for it. I think that's the difference.

We gotta land in year 2013 and accept the fact that even Michel Bergeron would coach in English and not in French. So really, forcing a guy to speak French for a 10 min press conference is plain stupid.

On another topic, if there are last minute renovations to be done to the Colisee, Remparts are making sure they don't make playoffs this year thus the season could end as early as March.

Closed Thread