Notices

Adding some size to the lineup

Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
With out Stemps we have 46.2 million against the cap with the ceiling being 64.3 why buyout Cammy?
that's 18 million to sign:

1 Goaltender: Leland Irving

2 Defensemen: TJ Brodie & Chris Butler

5 Forwards: Jarome Iginla, Roman Cervenka, Mikael Backlund, Blake Comeau & Steve Begin

Without any upgrades anywhere. The Flames will probably sign Ramo for at least $1,000,000. TJ Brodie with a good season could see his cap his rise to $1,500,000. Chris Butler is already a bargain of a contract so you can bet on him getting at least $2,000,000. Iginla will probably re-sign and with him being him it will be at a decent rate so let's say he takes a $4,500,000. Cervenka with a good year could see his cap hit drop to $2,500,000 without the bonuses. Backlund with a breakout year could see a raise to $2,000,000. Signing a pair of 4th liners should cost no more than $2,000,000.

That's $14,500,000 of that $18,000,000. Not nearly enough to make a run at any of the top UFAs as WE will probably need close to $9,000,000 to make a run at Getzlaf and at least $6,000,000 for Weiss. Buying out Sarich & Stajan won't help much since after replacements we only save maybe an additional $4,000,000.

Only 6 players carry a cap hit large enough for a compliance buyout to make an impact. Cammalleri is the only of those that makes any sense. Because buying out Kiprusoff or any of the top 3 defensemen would hurt too much and Buying out Hudler makes no sense since offensively he is on par with Cammalleri and makes less money.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If he becomes Rene Bourque 2.0, the question becomes "why not"?
well yes but we are what 4 games in lets wait 40 before we talk about it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
that's 18 million to sign:

1 Goaltender: Leland Irving(1 mil)

2 Defensemen: TJ Brodie(1.5 mil) & Chris Butler(most likely gone)

5 Forwards: Jarome Iginla(5.5 mil), Roman Cervenka(3 mil), Mikael Backlund(2 mil), Blake Comeau(gone) & Steve Begin(gone)

Without any upgrades anywhere. The Flames will probably sign Ramo for at least $1,000,000. TJ Brodie with a good season could see his cap his rise to $1,500,000. Chris Butler is already a bargain of a contract so you can bet on him getting at least $2,000,000. Iginla will probably re-sign and with him being him it will be at a decent rate so let's say he takes a $4,500,000. Cervenka with a good year could see his cap hit drop to $2,500,000 without the bonuses. Backlund with a breakout year could see a raise to $2,000,000. Signing a pair of 4th liners should cost no more than $2,000,000.

That's $14,500,000 of that $18,000,000. Not nearly enough to make a run at any of the top UFAs as WE will probably need close to $9,000,000 to make a run at Getzlaf and at least $6,000,000 for Weiss. Buying out Sarich & Stajan won't help much since after replacements we only save maybe an additional $4,000,000.

Only 6 players carry a cap hit large enough for a compliance buyout to make an impact. Cammalleri is the only of those that makes any sense.
Thats 13 million so we have 5 million left over not to mention we can buyout Stajan who is 3.5.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-30-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Thats 12 million so we have 16 million left over not to mention we can buyout Stajan who is 3.5.
I added more to my previous post.

But your numbers add up to 13 million not 12 and do not account for any replacement players. Plus you added in an extra 10 million, 18-12=6 not 16

Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I added more to my previous post.

But your numbers add up to 13 million not 12 and do not account for any replacement players. Plus you added in an extra 10 million, 18-12=6 not 16
Thanks mental math is not so easy

Replacement players are
Breen (550K)
Horak (800K)
Bouma (600K)
Aliu/Similar type player(600K)

So we 8.5 with Stajan bought out and with these 4 we have 6 million left to bring in FA.

Getzlaf won't get 9 million cap hit maybe 7 million and Weiss won't get 6 most likely 5-5.5.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Thanks mental math is not so easy

Replacement players are
Breen (550K)
Horak (800K)
Bouma (600K)
Aliu/Similar type player(600K)

So we 8.5 with Stajan bought out and with these 4 we have 6 million left to bring in FA.
so @ 6 million we can miss out on Getzlaf and max out our cap on Weiss.

and then if we miss out our center depth becomes even worse.

I would rather buyout Cammalleri and go after Getzlaf and have Stajan around as a contingency if things dont work

Last edited by Adirondack Flames: 01-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
so @ 6 million we can miss out on Getzlaf and max out our cap on Weiss.

and then if we miss out our center depth becomes even worse.
Not if we just trade for ROR

I don't believe we have a chance at getting Getz in fact I don't think he makes it to FA. Maxing out on Weiss isn't a big deal the next year Cammy,Jbo, and Kipper all have their contracting ending that is 18 million free.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

There isn't a chance that Iginla re-signs for as little as 4.5M per season. He'll get at least 5M+ on a two or three year deal with what ever team he re-signs with. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 6M a season either actually.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
There isn't a chance that Iginla re-signs for as little as 4.5M per season. He'll get at least 5M+ on a two or three year deal with what ever team he re-signs with. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 6M a season either actually.
You can't say there isn't a chance, because there is a chance. We don't really know.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Not if we just trade for ROR

I don't believe we have a chance at getting Getz in fact I don't think he makes it to FA. Maxing out on Weiss isn't a big deal the next year Cammy,Jbo, and Kipper all have their contracting ending that is 18 million free.
I still would like a contingency plan, I would much rather buyout a winger than a center and if we manage to pick up a center then Tanguay could move back to the wing or Cervenka if he does indeed shift to center. For the difference in salary and the options it presents I would prefer to cut ties with Cammalleri.

Plus the idea of 2 centermen that can win faceoffs, kill penalties and be defensively reliable is really nice.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I still would like a contingency plan, I would much rather buyout a winger than a center and if we manage to pick up a center then Tanguay could move back to the wing or Cervenka if he does indeed shift to center. For the difference in salary and the options it presents I would prefer to cut ties with Cammalleri.

Plus the idea of 2 centermen that can win faceoffs, kill penalties and be defensively reliable is really nice.
Yes if we have to then I would buy out Cammy but we are 4 games in are some talking about it like we should. Buying out Cammy for a chance at a better player is risky as I find it rather unlikely we get either Getzlaf or Wiess.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Noori

I'd be okay with Volchenkov for Stempniak. When Stempniak isn't on one of his hot streaks, he is inherently useless. He really exemplifies what's been plaguing this Flames team: inconsistency. Volchenkov would would round out the defense quite nicely and there is no defensive prospect in sight of making the club for the next two-three years so no concern on that end.

My only concern is the cap hit. I think the Devils have to add an average prospect or a middle round draft selection.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
You can't say there isn't a chance, because there is a chance. We don't really know.
Okay, it's extraordinarily unlikely that Iginla signs for a 4.5M cap hit. Not unless he gets crazy term, i.e. 5 years or more.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Okay, it's extraordinarily unlikely that Iginla signs for a 4.5M cap hit. Not unless he gets crazy term, i.e. 5 years or more.
People said the same thing when he signed for 7 million last time, it was expected Iginla was going to sign for $8 million+ last time around. If Iginla is committing to the Flames and he wants to win there then he will take less money to give them a better chance.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:06 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
People said the same thing when he signed for 7 million last time, it was expected Iginla was going to sign for $8 million+ last time around. If Iginla is committing to the Flames and he wants to win there then he will take less money to give them a better chance.
So it's just a matter of what constitutes a hometown discount. As far as I see, Iginla signing for 5.5M would still represent a significant discount as it's highly likely that if he tested free agency, he could very easily get a two or three year deal worth 6.5M from a good number of teams.

But to flesh this out a bit more, before we can determine how much Iginla might sign for, it needs to be asked if Iginla will re-sign and under what circumstances. There's a lot of different ways this can play out. For example, if Iginla is traded at the deadline and just happens to win a cup, maybe he decides he'd like to retire a Flame, now that he has everything he wanted. Knowing this, the organization and him could work out a retirement deal, like Alfredsson's in Ottawa; something like 4M a season until he's 40. Iginla's got his cup, doesn't have to move his family and the Flames still have the face of their franchise.

Or, on the other hand, maybe after he discusses things with his family, he decides against moving, and decides to negotiate an extension. However, knowing this means likely forgoing a good shot at the cup, he's less likely to be generous on a hometown discount. In case, 6M per season is the finish line.

Or maybe he decides remaining with one team is the most important thing and sacrifices salary for term.

But on the whole, the very fact that Iginla hasn't re-signed at this moment combined with the fact that he and Feaster had a conference where they announced they weren't going to discuss this until the end of the season should speak volumes as to his likely intention. Last go around, he re-signed on the first of July, a full year prior to day when his then-current contract would expire. That's why an extension at a extremely low discount doesn't make a whole lot of sense now.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Or, on the other hand, maybe after he discusses things with his family, he decides against moving, and decides to negotiate an extension. However, knowing this means likely forgoing a good shot at the cup, he's less likely to be generous on a hometown discount. In case, 6M per season is the finish line.
While I agree that there are a lot of variables as to how Iginla's next contract could playout, it's still just as likely that he stays here and does sign a discount of 5.5 cap hit in order for Flames management to sign some quality UFAs.

Simply put (though it sounds worse than it is), it depends on his ego. I want to see him win a Cup like anybody else, and for him to do it in a Flames sweater would be the best - but it's the twilight years of his career and the majority of the money he'll probably make for the rest of his and his family's life.

I'm expecting 5.5 mil over 3 years in Calgary, or 6.25 over 2 years for any other team.
7 million + if it's the Canucks.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote