HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Definitely stay away from the EQ50.... the entire EQ line is pretty horrible. The other 4 are all nice sticks... personally I'd look at the RS and Widow because of the price and see which one you like best.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Any suggestions between RBZ 60 v Mako M5? Or any other suggestions around the $100-$135 range? I recently broke the shaft of my Reebok 6K.

I'm 5'7 165, and use an intermediate stick cut down about 3 inches. Mainly a puck distributor and take wristers, rarely if ever take a slap shot unless it is a one timer. The M5 is on sale so naturally I am inclined to believe it is a better stick, but I'm intrigued by the technology of the RBZ 60. I've shot around with both sticks, but its hard to gauge when you're not playing full speed. Any help is appreciated

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Definitely stay away from the EQ50.... the entire EQ line is pretty horrible. The other 4 are all nice sticks... personally I'd look at the RS and Widow because of the price and see which one you like best.
Hmm interesting. Well I could include the MAKO in my list instead then if it's superior...or even the M5. Anyone know how the Widow compares to the Easton low-kicks like the stealth line?

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
finnishdman

Finally bought that new stick, i got a crazy deal, CCM U+Pro (it's a CL but the shaft is mid kick) for $110 when the original price was $220. 85 flex Thornton pattern. I'm very excited to test this out.

finnishdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I went with the Toews P14 instead. Got a steal from Hockey Monkey, 110 for the T1
Check in with the E28/P14 pattern thread, curious to see how it works for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Some sticks I am considering:

Easton Int EQ50 - $99
Easton Int RS - $169
Warrior Widow (Int or Sr) - $120
Bauer Nexus 1000 - $249
CCM RBZ - $249
I know the feeling...you get used to something and then you try and figure out what made it good and chase your tail.

If you really liked the feel of the SE16, Synergy, and Dolomite, go with the EQ50. So long as you have the plugs in the end, it's not bad at all. Anything below it is terrible. Or the top Mako as those are on clearance.

Otherwise, I would go Widow. If you absolutely didn't like the TO, the Widow will be the opposite kick point (very low) while being very light.

And both are pretty cheap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Any suggestions between RBZ 60 v Mako M5? Or any other suggestions around the $100-$135 range? I recently broke the shaft of my Reebok 6K.

I'm 5'7 165, and use an intermediate stick cut down about 3 inches. Mainly a puck distributor and take wristers, rarely if ever take a slap shot unless it is a one timer. The M5 is on sale so naturally I am inclined to believe it is a better stick, but I'm intrigued by the technology of the RBZ 60. I've shot around with both sticks, but its hard to gauge when you're not playing full speed. Any help is appreciated
That RBZ doesn't look bad for the price point but I haven't played with it. The M5 is an ST, not much to talk about. Pretty neutral stick, a little on the stiff side, extremely durable.

Don't sleep on the Miken Z9 either, it's on clearance. It will be a better performing stick than those two and I really like the balance, it feels great to me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Check in with the E28/P14 pattern thread, curious to see how it works for others.

Don't sleep on the Miken Z9 either, it's on clearance. It will be a better performing stick than those two and I really like the balance, it feels great to me.
Will do. Speaking of the Miken Z9 what curve did you end up with?

I read that you were thinking about trying the P14, did you not like the feel of it? Some say it's pretty ugly but easy to shoot with.

I practice alot on my technique and try different ways to shoot the puck, which I heard is a benefit, so I believe it should work for me.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Ruhnie

I think I am leaning toward the Widow for 2 reasons:

- It comes in a 70 flex Int, which is about the exact length stick I use. So not only do I not have to cut it and make it stiffer, I get to experiment with a lower flex for the first time ever.
- I really want to own a low-kick stick, if nothing else to learn how to use one and then be able to make an educated decision on what flex location I prefer.

Worst case it's only $100, plus the Nexus prices aren't going to change anyway lol.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

- It comes in a 70 flex Int, which is about the exact length stick I use. So not only do I not have to cut it and make it stiffer, I get to experiment with a lower flex for the first time ever.
- I really want to own a low-kick stick, if nothing else to learn how to use one and then be able to make an educated decision on what flex location I prefer.

Worst case it's only $100, plus the Nexus prices aren't going to change anyway lol.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...clear-int.html <<< This is NOT grip, it is clear composite

Go for it if you want, i've heard great things about this stick and the only reason I didn't buy it is because I went Total One.

$102 with 15 dollar shipping unless you can find it in a shop near you.

That's still 40 dollars or so less than Total Hockey is selling it.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Will do. Speaking of the Miken Z9 what curve did you end up with?

I read that you were thinking about trying the P14, did you not like the feel of it? Some say it's pretty ugly but easy to shoot with.

I practice alot on my technique and try different ways to shoot the puck, which I heard is a benefit, so I believe it should work for me.
Yep I went P14, check out that thread for my thoughts on the curve. It seems pretty good, but I keep wanting a bit more height on my shots.

Quote:

If you're dropping down in flex, the Warrior feels stiffer than average (to me at least) because it's a low kick, so it will not be so drastic. I think you'll like it. Puck feel is great. Durability is hit or miss for some people but it's worth it for $100 I think.

Nexus is just crazy expensive. $230-250...no. They need a Nexus 800 at the $150 price point that weighs ~ 460-470g (right between the 600 and 1000).

Old
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
AIREAYE

The Widow feels as rated for me. Neither too stiff nor too whippy. The INT Widow is a stock 60" and flex will be unaffected even if you do chop down a few inches off of it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

So, here I am with a noob question. If my research is correct, the length of the stick is determined by measuring the top of the shaft to the heel of the blade.

Basically, thanks to Jarick and a quick shootaround with the Miken Z9, I've decided to give that a go. Now I need to decide between a 70 and 80 flex because they would have to order the 70 flex. If I measured my current top of 6k 2-piece (75 flex shaft) to heel of blade correctly, I got 57 inches. The Z9 stick says it comes at a length of 60 inches, so I would need to cut off 3 inches which would add approximately 10-12 on the flex, if my calculations are correct.

My question to you Jarick, is do you have any experience shooting a 6K or similar stick and how would that compare to the Z9? Seemingly, it would turn my stick in to either an approximately 82 or 92 flex barring my calculations being somewhat accurate. I also have an AK27 shaft(85 flex), cut to the same length as the the 6k (57 inches total), that I absolutely hate because it feels way too stiff.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

6k is a standard shaft, right? 75 flex is a senior shaft as well.

How tall is your stick when you stand it up? Does it come to around your nose in bare feet, or is it taller/shorter?

I've always found Reebok sticks to play stiffer than what they are rated. Ordinarily at your height I'd recommend 65 flex (intermediate) but if you like 75 flex senior sticks, go for the 70 flex senior Z9.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:

How tall is your stick when you stand it up? Does it come to around your nose in bare feet, or is it taller/shorter?

I've always found Reebok sticks to play stiffer than what they are rated. Ordinarily at your height I'd recommend 65 flex (intermediate) but if you like 75 flex senior sticks, go for the 70 flex senior Z9.
Thanks for your quick response. IIRC it's 61 inches when it is standing on its toe. It comes about even with my eyes barefoot, so it's a bit longer than other players prefer. I think I'll go with the 70 flex. Now I just have to wait.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay that makes sense. 70 flex is a good choice then.

Oh, loved Rescue Me btw.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...clear-int.html <<< This is NOT grip, it is clear composite

Go for it if you want, i've heard great things about this stick and the only reason I didn't buy it is because I went Total One.

$102 with 15 dollar shipping unless you can find it in a shop near you.

That's still 40 dollars or so less than Total Hockey is selling it.
Thx. Yeah I reeeally wished I could have found a TO w/ a P92 curve to get a true comparison to my other sticks, but closest I could find was the P91A. It's "almost" as good but it fails miserably for me on snappers, no idea why but I suspect it's due to the curve/twist being too close to the heel. So anyway, I'll keep the TO as my backup stick I guess.

Quote:
Yep I went P14, check out that thread for my thoughts on the curve. It seems pretty good, but I keep wanting a bit more height on my shots.

If you're dropping down in flex, the Warrior feels stiffer than average (to me at least) because it's a low kick, so it will not be so drastic. I think you'll like it. Puck feel is great. Durability is hit or miss for some people but it's worth it for $100 I think.

Nexus is just crazy expensive. $230-250...no. They need a Nexus 800 at the $150 price point that weighs ~ 460-470g (right between the 600 and 1000).
I apparently am unfazed by crazy expensive sticks, and it became an unfortunate obsession of mine last year. Went through 2 APXs and an RBZ in about 10 months. Ugh.

Btw does the Burrows curve = Zetterberg/PM9? Looking at grabbing a Widow for the wifey as well, she rolls with the Zetterberg. Thanks guys.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

Btw does the Burrows curve = Zetterberg/PM9? Looking at grabbing a Widow for the wifey as well, she rolls with the Zetterberg. Thanks guys.
Burrows and Zetterberg are different as the Zetterberg is more open.

If your wife is an Intermediate, you can find the Zetterberg curve here in the Limited Edition Blue and Limited Edition Red(if she can tolerate that haha)

Blue has grip:

http://redtag.totalhockey.com/produc...4-31/?mtx_id=0

Red does not:

http://redtag.totalhockey.com/produc...5-31/?mtx_id=0

If you want my opinion the blue isn't too bad if you don't mind some grip and when you tape the butt end with black tape it's not that annoying. I think it's better than a completely red stick but it always is preference. I also hate most grips, so if she does too I would just go with the red as long as she's okay with it.

Last edited by I Am Score*: 01-28-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I just found out that the Widow ONLY comes in Zetterberg curve with the Special Editions.

You likely will not find these in stores and will need to order it online if you want that curve.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
I just found out that the Widow ONLY comes in Zetterberg curve with the Special Editions.

You likely will not find these in stores and will need to order it online if you want that curve.
Sorry - my post was a bit misleading. She actually uses the Zetterberg Easton curve, I forgot he moved over to Warrior. I think it's now the Cammalleri curve. Good to know though! But yeah still trying to determine then, does Easton Cammalleri = Warrior Burrows?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:37 PM
jsykes

Quote:

Yes, the Burrows is the same as the Bauer PM9 and the old Easton Zetterberg/new Easton Cammaleri.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

I find that that sentiment seems to be most apparent for the higher end Sickick models (10K, 11K, 9K) and the old O-Sticks (9KO, 8.0.8) ,while their respective pricepoints (6K, 5K etc.) feel true to rating. The AI series feels true to rating as well. The newer 20K line feels true to rating as well for me. I haven't heard enough feedback on that last part yet, but it's safe to say that that seemingly consistent rule of thumb regarding Reebok sticks is rather not.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Sorry - my post was a bit misleading. She actually uses the Zetterberg Easton curve, I forgot he moved over to Warrior. I think it's now the Cammalleri curve. Good to know though! But yeah still trying to determine then, does Easton Cammalleri = Warrior Burrows?
Yes, the Burrows is the PM9/Modano/Forsberg equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I find that that sentiment seems to be most apparent for the higher end Sickick models (10K, 11K, 9K) and the old O-Sticks (9KO, 8.0.8) ,while their respective pricepoints (6K, 5K etc.) feel true to rating. The AI series feels true to rating as well. The newer 20K line feels true to rating as well for me. I haven't heard enough feedback on that last part yet, but it's safe to say that that seemingly consistent rule of thumb regarding Reebok sticks is rather not.
The first generation Sickick I used (7k) was true to flex. I bought a Sickick II in 8k and 10k and both were INSANELY stiff for me, couldn't use them at all. Sickick III felt stiff to me in the store but I never bought them. Haven't bothered with the new ones either.

The AI sticks do seem like they play true to flex and that's partly why I liked the feel of them in the store.

Although if you're one of those people who wants like an 80-85 flex intermediate, find some of those older Sickick II or III stick in "65 flex". Felt like a 75-85 flex senior that had already been chopped down.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
Aynone know what the the Warrior Gionta equivelent would be for a RBZ 60

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
jsykes

There really isnt. The Landeskog would likely be the closest though.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:51 AM
Ruhnie

First game with the Widow tonight. I had a hat trick but strangely I am not liking the stick lol. I think I may have gone overboard with trying a lower flex. I usually go with 85 flex SR sticks, but wanted to try an Int and see if it improved my shooting. Went with the 70 flex Int Widow, and it definitely has some crazy pop. I think it is just too whippy for me though, about 90% of the passes that came to me just popped right off my blade, when normally they would stick. I could literally feel the stick flexing just while stickhandling...probably not a good thing. Guess I need to break the crap out of it and ask for an 85 flex SR replacement?

Old
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
AIREAYE

Probably should've tried 75 flex first...

Warrior does their warranty in-store, so I doubt any manager would let you exchange an INT SKU with a SR SKU.