HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Peter Bondra, hockey hall of fame?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

vCash: 500
A substantial difference in the circumstances, aye.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You're going that route? Glenn Anderson was a "money" goal scorer who not only scored as many goals as Bondra but was an important part of a dynasty. I think there is a substantial difference in the careers of these two men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
A substantial difference in the circumstances, aye.
I agree here 100%, if Anderson has the same regular season record in Washington and goes into the playoffs with the caps instead of the Oilers we wouldn't even question his chances of getting into the HHOF without a ticket.

As it is he is very borderline IMO.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I agree here 100%, if Anderson has the same regular season record in Washington and goes into the playoffs with the caps instead of the Oilers we wouldn't even question his chances of getting into the HHOF without a ticket.

As it is he is very borderline IMO.
You say that like Anderson's regular season record is bad or something. It isn't. No doubt the playoffs put him over the top for the HHOF but that's hardly the point. Once you get into the "ifs and buts" of a debate you have lost it already. Anderson was set up in a perfect storm and he flourished. I can name a ton of players who were fortunate to be put in a great situation and did not excel.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
What?

Ovechkin won 2 Hart Trophies and 3 Lindsays. Bondra was never a top 3 RW in the league, not even once.
You don't live in Washington do you lol.

Bondra is absolutely huge around here. Even as it stands, I would argue he was a better player than Ovechkin at this point.

And what time did Bondra play in? That's what I thought.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:51 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post

Bondra is absolutely huge around here. Even as it stands, I would argue he was a better player than Ovechkin at this point.

You have got to be kidding me. We're talking about a two time Hart winter versus a guy who was never even considered top 3 at his own position.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
unknown33

Quote:
So you are suggesting the time he played in was so much tougher that Bondra would go from not getting any Hart votes at all and never being a 2nd team allstar to winning the Hart trophy?

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:02 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't believe anybody would ever try to seriously argue Bondra over Ovechkin. At least i hope no one would.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:38 AM
begbeee

Oh my god. I never want to compare Bondra with Ovechkin. I just wrote, that bashing Bondra for no demand or trade after him before playoffs is the same as bashing Ovechkin for that. We really don't know if there was or wasn't demand for Bondra, because he was the centerpiece of Capitals' offense the same way as Ovechkin is.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Oh my god. I never want to compare Bondra with Ovechkin. I just wrote, that bashing Bondra for no demand or trade after him before playoffs is the same as bashing Ovechkin for that. We really don't know if there was or wasn't demand for Bondra, because he was the centerpiece of Capitals' offense the same way as Ovechkin is.
I think people here are responding to BradD's statement that he thinks Bondra was better than Ovechkin is so far.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
nabby12

Bondra will get into the HHOF.

He was possibly the most underrated player of all time, He was the goal scorer everyone wanted...but not the one they need right now. So they left him out of the spotlight...because he can take it.

He's a silent sniper, a watchful protector. Bondra was a Dark Knight.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:17 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post

He was possibly the most underrated player of all time, He was the goal scorer everyone wanted...but not the one they need right now. So they left him out of the spotlight...because he can take it.

I don't think Bondra is underrated. He was a great goal scorer who provided just that. Goals. I think it is quite telling that if you finish 6 times top-10 in goals and have 0 top-10 points finishes and career high of 85 points. That player is not great offensive player he is just a great goal scorer. If Teemu Selanne would have hard time getting in by goals only I can't see how there would be a case for Bondra.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I don't think Bondra is underrated. He was a great goal scorer who provided just that. Goals. I think it is quite telling that if you finish 6 times top-10 in goals and have 0 top-10 points finishes and career high of 85 points. That player is not great offensive player he is just a great goal scorer. If Teemu Selanne would have hard time getting in by goals only I can't see how there would be a case for Bondra.
I understand what you mean but generally people tend to value goals more than assists.

How is that going to affect Henrik Sedin's case?

Old
05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Elever
Hth

John LeClair was a better player and goal-scorer imo than Bondra even though LeClair had a tonne of injury problems. If he hadn't had them around 2000 then I'm convinced he would've had another 40-50 goal season or two and ended up in the HHOF. But he's not gonna get in and he isn't even on my list of the top guys who deserve to get in so I doubt Bondra gets a look.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Hit 500 career goals while playing pretty much through the whole dead puck era. Two times goal scorer race winner. Amazing in international play. Proven playoff performer. Is he getting in?

Not that I put too much faith in HHOF, they are VERY weird with their selections.
there is one stat that hurts him big time

while yes he got the magic 500 goals-- he did not crack 1000pts and I think that hurts him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
John LeClair was a better player and goal-scorer imo than Bondra even though LeClair had a tonne of injury problems. If he hadn't had them around 2000 then I'm convinced he would've had another 40-50 goal season or two and ended up in the HHOF. But he's not gonna get in and he isn't even on my list of the top guys who deserve to get in so I doubt Bondra gets a look.
LeClair was a much better player than Bondra. Keith Tkachuk was better too

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
nabby12

Quote:
LeClair was a much better player than Bondra. Keith Tkachuk was better too
So you claim.

I mean you're just a fan..so you can give your opinion all you want and it doesn't really mean anything.

The only time you people likely saw Bondra play was on Sportscentre when they showed 10 seconds of Capitals highlights.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
So you claim.

I mean you're just a fan..so you can give your opinion all you want and it doesn't really mean anything.

The only time you people likely saw Bondra play was on Sportscentre when they showed 10 seconds of Capitals highlights.
I saw Bondra and the Washington Capitals play quite a bit; they were Atlantic Division rivals until 1998. Next time, come up with a better argument than trying to tell others what their viewing habits were.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

nope

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

Well, I'd like to say he won't get in. However, the HHOF gives you absolutely no reason to think they won't make a stupid selection. Dick Duff is proof of this.

Look, if you are going to be a one-trick pony, at least be the best in the game at that one trick (a la Bure). Have some success in the postseason as well. Be an all-star at your position. Then we can talk. Bondra had none of these qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I understand what you mean but generally people tend to value goals more than assists.

How is that going to affect Henrik Sedin's case?
Not sure about the rest here, but I'm not suggesting Henrik makes the HHOF either. Lots of warts on his resume. However, he has hit a couple of thresholds that are gimmes to the HHOF. Leading the NHL in assists three times. That'll get you in. No one has been left out now that Oates is in. Winning the Hart Trophy isn't automatic since Anderson, Rollins, Theodore, Lindros aren't in. St. Louis should get in and Perry has a long ways to go. Winning a scoring title isn't a lock either, hello Herb Cain. Not to mention Daniel Sedin is far from a sure thing.

However, no one has ever been denied after winning a Hart AND an Art Ross. Henrik beat Crosby and Ovechkin that year in points. That's special. We do remember the egg that the Sedins dropped in the 2011 finals though who somehow get away with that while Luongo doesn't. Plus a couple of quick first round exits coupled with the fact that the Sedins are on a decline.

With all that being said.................I can't see how anyone can pick Bondra's career over Henriks.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Bondra will not get into the Hall

Bondra was not better than Ovechkin (unless we are talking pure playoffs and international careers)

Bondra was better than Tkachuk unless we really want to overvalue physical play

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post

How so? I think their stats were very similar, and while I realize physical play is sometimes overrated, it does bring something.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
How so? I think their stats were very similar, and while I realize physical play is sometimes overrated, it does bring something.
I guess technically Bondra did score at a slightly better rate than Keith but I think a very strong argument can be made that Keith had the better career and was indeed the better player.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Bondra was not better than Ovechkin
Did anyone actually claim Bondra was better?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Bondra will not get into the Hall

Bondra was not better than Ovechkin (unless we are talking pure playoffs and international careers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Did anyone actually claim Bondra was better?
It was kind of implied.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:38 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Hall of Very Good, I should think.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote