HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rogers Arena is a MORGUE

Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
I went to a game recently. Lower bowl was so quiet, lol. The upper bowl (I sat in this bowl) was pretty loud. A lot of people screaming. In OT the crowd was very loud. During the shootout it sounded like we were in the playoffs.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Momesso

Yes, its because of the corporate types and yuppies.

Also because fans in Vancouver are a bit jaded and bitter and only care about playoff success, after having so much regular season success.

But you can tell that no matter who is sitting, they all know the game. Fans in Vancouver make all the calls before the refs do (and many that the refs don't!).

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post
I splurged on lower bowel seats for a Van-Ana playoff game a few years ago (either game 3 or 4, I can't remember which but I remember that we lost). We scored on a breakaway so I was obviously out of my seat and a ****** in a suit behind me told me to sit down. In the playoffs. When we just scored.

I just told him to stand up and kept on cheering. But I prefer to sit in the upper bowl now. It's not worth the extra money to sit with people like that.
last time I actually got to go to a game (vs florida in 06/07) I was in the last row of the upper bowl.

It's actually awesome because you can lean forward without pissing off the people behind you (and for the record, 100% legit complaint. you can't see anything).

Plus the guy next to me went just as crazy when the canucks scored.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
sobrio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
I went to a game recently. Lower bowl was so quiet, lol. The upper bowl (I sat in this bowl) was pretty loud. A lot of people screaming. In OT the crowd was very loud. During the shootout it sounded like we were in the playoffs.
That would have nothing to do with you being unable to hear the lower bowl cheering because you had people cheering loudly around you?

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:41 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Yeah its a quite crowd in general... add in an inferior opponent, and there goes the energy.

Wait until you watch Friday vs Chicago... there will be a buzz throughout.

During the rivalry games its pretty good...

And the playoffs it just a good as the rest of the league.

But in terms of Canada... no stadium gets you as pumped watching on tv as Montreal... unreal crowd...
And yr 1 Winnipeg was outstanding... not nearly great on tv this yr so far... but again, we're talking about week 2 hockey... wait till there's more on the line in any stadium and the buzz ramps up.

Van-Col, Jan 30th - pretty much as dull as it gets....

But even to this unlucky crowd's credit, they gave the Sedin line some pretty good ovations after a number of their shifts...

I'm going to Friday's game Van-Chi... but i'm not a cheering type... i just watch quietly and explode on goals only... i'm probably one those guys people look down on for not yelling my arse off at all...

Many different types of fans... yelling shouldn't be used as some sort of measure of passion... all you have to do is listen to the noise level with goals... its fine.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
An aspect that the suburban fans who don't actually go to games don't understand is the demographic in the lower bowl. Yes, there are some corporate types. But there are also LOTS of company seats given to "regular" people. Many times they bring their kids. I sit 5 rows behind the benches 9-10x a year. There are at least 40 STH in my vicinity that have been STH for 30+ years. They simply aren't drunken, fat, loud fans. However, they do have more money than most of you.

BTW, it's 180-220 a night for my seats. It's why I only get to 10 games in the lower bowl. If any superfans want to buy seats, send me a message or just come to the arena pregame, scalpers will be happy to sell you a $200 seat.
those guys arnt the problem, though you describing any vocal vancouver fan as drunken and fat seems to illustrate the elitist culture problem there. Well, actually suggesting that suburban fans dont understand it also illustrates the elitist culture problem there, seeing as there are more than enough wealthy suburban fans in the arena every night.

The problem is that enough of the tickets are dedicated to corporates who either dont show up or dont show emotion that when the team isnt doing well, there arnt enough people who are die hard enough to not care and just cheer for the hell of it.

01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The upper bowl is okay. The lower bowl is a snoozefest... you almost don't want to cheer because you feel like you're making a scene.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
Well not the most exciting game tonight. But wait till the playoffs then we will see if it is a morgue. Well lets say Friday because we are going to play the Hawks GO CANUCKS GO!!

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Here's my one and only experience with Rogers;

Went up for Stanley Cup Game 2. Being from NY and being a Jets & Knicks fan I'm used to being loud for my team and cheering for a bulk of the game. Start of the 3rd period, arena was quiet, I stood up to get the crowd on their feet and some jack off behind me grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me back down in my seat and said "I'm trying to watch the game". Was only the third time the entire game I had gotten up.

For the Stanley Cup you have no reason to be quiet/sit on your a** like its a preseason game. Maybe it's just me but I thought that was weak.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 AM
The Overseer*

The Canucks have sold out more than 400 straight home games.

It really must dampen fans' enthusiasm to have their team win all the time.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-31-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: removed quoted post
The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 AM
Johnny Tightlips

Do you know how expensive tickets are in Vancouver and any Canadian city for that matter? all the lower seats are cooperate owned, and every other ticket is ridiculously overpriced.

Johnny Tightlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 AM
canadianmagpie

I was at the game tonight, it was a pretty dull game. With the exception of the three goals, there were probably three or four potential scoring chances.

The shots were 24-23 for the Avs and most of the shots were from the outside.

There really wasn't anything that exciting to get up for. Couple of good shifts for the Sedins got cheers and the kill for the 5-on-3 got some applause.

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:02 AM
KBA4life

Same problem in LA, the upper and lower bowl split is very plebeian-patrician esque

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

the senators building tonight was a ghost house it was so quiet

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Edit: That being said I still try and get to a few games per year and I have been told numerous times to "keep it down", from people in my section. And its rarely ever profanity either
You have got to be kidding me. Keep it down, AT A HOCKEY GAME?!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Crows*

Friday night rogers arena will be rocking loud.

I was at tonights game and to be honest the hockey is still in pre season mode. People need some time to get in to it still. But during one of the tv timeouts they put up " our next home game is friday night vs the Chicago blackhawks" There was a buzz when they announced just that on the big screen. lol

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Canucks season ticket holder here. Let me explain a few things.

1) I go to about 95% of my games. Am I loud? No. Why? Because being drunk 3-4 times a week/partying is impossible. People who go once a year go all out and scream all game long. I don't have the energy to do that. I go to hang with friends, watch the game, shoot the sh*..etc

2) MANY of the fans are immigrants and i've noticed they're very reserved.

3) The fnas seem to stillbe some what bitter over the lockout and aren't really back in to it.

4) Rich people. I am in the lower bowl and yes, you will see lots of pharmacy reps, corporate people etc. They do talk shop a lot during the game.

The only solution is to lower the amount of season tickets sold and allow a higher amount of single day fans. More tuenover of once n a while fans will make it much more loud.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:16 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Same for Toronto as well actually.
It's about half the league, give or take. They fork out the money for big season ticket packages, and sometimes they aren't even used. You see it at Pens games sometimes, entire rows in premium sections of the lower bowl empty.

Common I think with Canadian teams and/or teams with recent success who then jack up the prices on tickets.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:23 AM
Crows*

I pay 70 dollars per ticket for these seats at rogers arena.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tightlips View Post
Do you know how expensive tickets are in Vancouver and any Canadian city for that matter? all the lower seats are cooperate owned, and every other ticket is ridiculously overpriced.
Tickets in Vancouver are some of the most ridiculously expensive in hockey. A decent upper bowl seat will cost about $120. Lower bowl seats are too pricey for most to even bother purchasing, especially if they're thinking of bringing company to the game. Beer and concessions are outrageously overpriced as well. Most fans, as a result, settle for going to pubs or just watching at home. An occasional game once or twice a year is what most would expect.

The waiting time for season tickets is calculated in years, and season tickets are very expensive. Some seats are corporate-owned, while others have been owned by long-time fans who have maybe become too accustomed to watching games in-person.

It's a very reserved crowd too. I would say many fans are critiquing the play as it happens, and are much too busy focusing on the actions on the ice to consider making any noise. In my opinion, it's a combination of tickets being not accessible to most fans (especially the rowdy fans), season ticket holders perhaps being not as enthusiastic about the experience, corporate seat holders, and fans having too critical an eye of the game to enjoy the atmosphere.

In contrast, CFL games next door at B.C. Place are loud and rowdy as any in Canada. Fans at Lions games just want to enjoy the atmosphere, whereas at Canucks games fans are way too busy analyzing the play and concentrating on the game to care about the atmosphere.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-31-2013 at 02:32 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I pay 70 dollars per ticket for these seats at rogers arena.

$70 will usually get you a seat at the very top row of the upper bowl, and most of the time in the corner area. I attended a game last year with a friend. Total price after tickets (~$130 each), beverages, and food was about $300.

Enough to make most people grumpy, that's for sure.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 AM
awfulwaffle

Canadians must hate me getting row 5 lower bowl tickets to Coyote games for $50.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
$70 will usually get you a seat at the very top row of the upper bowl, and most of the time in the corner area. I attended a game last year with a friend. Total price after tickets (~$130 each), beverages, and food was about $300.

Enough to make most people grumpy, that's for sure.
That photo is section 324, row 14 almost centre ice. (2nd last row) and they are great seats. For what you pay at RA< these are pretty good.

Also I refuse to buy food at rogers arena now. Instead I go to costco across the street and get a giant hotdog for 1.50. You can also get entire meals for 5 bucks, instead of that idiotic gouging inside the arena. Smart smart move by costco. They were getting hundreds of people eating there and lining up. Hell if you're with a buddy, order a huge costco pizza for 13 bucks and eat it before you go in.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

This is hilarious because yes I usually agree that Rogers Arena is too corporate and is usually dead because it's all suits at the game
BUT I was at the game tonight and it was a great atmosphere. I was in the upper bowl so maybe that's why but I was very impressed. Shows you that TV mics don't tell the whole story.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Upper bowl is awesome.

Lower bowl is not.

End of story.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote