HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Inform me of the Avalanche

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Inform me of the Avalanche

It's very possible that after tomorrow, the Coyotes are going to move somewhere after this season finishes. I have decided to make the Avalanche my next favorite team due to the fact they are in close vicinity to where I live, as well as not being a division foe right now.

What about the Avalanche are positives, negatives, etc. What does the future hold, what is the plan from management.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 AM
boz
Altitude Fan

where's someone with wit? it's right here on a platter..

Old
01-31-2013, 02:56 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
It's very possible that after tomorrow, the Coyotes are going to move somewhere after this season finishes. I have decided to make the Avalanche my next favorite team due to the fact they are in close vicinity to where I live, as well as not being a division foe right now.

What about the Avalanche are positives, negatives, etc. What does the future hold, what is the plan from management.
You're better off sticking your head into meat grinder than becoming a Avs fan.

Crappy team with a crappy coach, no light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:07 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
You're better off sticking your head into meat grinder than becoming a Avs fan.

Crappy team with a crappy coach, no light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps.
Can't be bad forever though. And I've been through it, I'm a Coyotes fan for crying out loud. Gretzky killed us.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:11 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
where's someone with wit? it's right here on a platter..
I understand the Avs probably won't make the playoffs anytime soon, but give me credit for wanting to look at a team, and know a team that is close to home.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:31 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 50
Quote:

were hurting right now, and management and their plans is not made public, although they would lead you believe we are going for the stanley cup, but take a look at our defence and you would think otherwise.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:33 AM
boz
Altitude Fan

Quote:
I understand the Avs probably won't make the playoffs anytime soon, but give me credit for wanting to look at a team, and know a team that is close to home.
Fair enough..the Avs do sound like the logical choice and we already took care of banishing Mueller.

The latest blog of our beat writer can update you..

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...-denial/12428/

Old
01-31-2013, 03:43 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Positives:
Good, young players with character that the organisation has decided should be the core of the team and drafted/traded for (Duchene, EJ, Varly, Landeskog, O'Reilly). Seems to be a policy they've committed to and they all seem to be likeable young chaps (unlike Marchand, Kane, etc.)
The front office usually does a pretty decent good job at the draft. They're not afraid to take a player who they deem to be the BPA and this can lead to pretty good results (e.g. O'Reilly, Hishon pre-concussion.)
Not too many bad contracts, general concensus is that Stastny's is the worse right now (it is) and Jones is looking like he may well have been overpaid right now.

Negatives:
Sacco - makes bewildering decisions concerning lines and doesn't often seem to have a plan or tactics. He has a doghouse and he's not afraid to use it. Fond of a bag skate now and then.
The club itself is in somewhat of a slump and has been on the downswing, despite play-off appearances, for quite a while. The glory years of Sakic, Forsberg and Roy will most never be repeated while the front office/ownership keeps on with its current policies, unless the core can all live up to their potential.
A massive negative is the mandate from ownership that everything has to be positive. Read this latest article from Adrian Dater of the Denver Post that sums it up beautifully. We are all grown ups, we can deal with some negativity but it would appear that the delicate flowers that are the Avs can't.
The bulk of the D corps is pretty bad right now and seem to be incapable of a transition game.

What the future holds:
Looking on the bright side, the front office do appear to have a plan of building from within and drafting/trading for players who play a good two way game with leadership qualities and some skill who will evolve and grow together as a team that can compete on a yearly basis (similar to the Hawks.) I'd say that Landeskog and O'Reilly are prototypical 'Avs' in that respect.
Unfortunately, in the short term future things aren't so rosy. This could be a 'long' season if we keep playing the way we did in the first 2 periods against the Oilers and the last 52 minutes against the Nucks.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:44 AM
shadow1

Denver Post

Quote:
But the Avs feel different. They feel that if you just keep it all nice and positive, that all that pesky negative stuff – like non-playoff showings in four of the last six seasons and what looks more and more like a fifth in seven – won’t be noticed by the people. That the people would rather live in a company-line bubble of denial than, you know, the real world.

Only one problem with that in 2013: it doesn’t work. There is just way too much history with this team’s fan base by now to get fooled by any Altitude spin-based baloney. The team stinks right now, and has very often in four of the last six years. Just say it. Truth begets respect. Spin and denial begets anger eventually from those who wanted to buy in to the propaganda.
Colorado is a team spinning it's tires. You see the Avalanche go out and acquire all kinds of talent (Johnson, Varlamov, Parenteau) but surround them with rubbish (Kobasew, Zanon, O'Brien). It's even more painful to watch considering '06-'09 saw them blow huge wads of money on fading veterans (Tucker, Smyth, Raycroft, Foote, Turgeon, Salei, Theodore) in the hopes of reclaiming past glory.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 800
"Have them bathed, and bring them to my chambers."

The Avs glory days are far behind them and the current rebuild has taken its toll, with certain questions left unanswered but a sense that a corner is about to be turned. That depends, of course, on how well things go with the current crop and if they can be the foundation that the team needs.

Right now it is easy to despair being an Avalanche fan, but I think it was worse 5-6 years ago when they were on a slide and mediocre at best. Even if they might suck most nights, there's at least the hope that it's for a reason and might soon be at an end. And an expectation that this rebuild come to fruition soon.

Being a Colorado fan, you've got a short history but a lot of tradition packed into it, whether or not you go back to the Nordiques. And, speaking of which, that is something the Avs have in common with your current (and I hope future) team - they both stole from Canada.

For players that our two franchises have had in common (and that I can remember) - Morris was made redundant by the rise of Liles. Most of us have already forgotten about Vaananen. Claude Lemiuex is about as well-liked in Colorado as anywhere other than New Jersey. Aebischer played one game for your team. Vrbata showed some promise but is mostly remembered as trade-bait. Chris Gratton made a lot of money. We knew Ricci when he was young and ugly, not just old and ugly. Kurt Sauer actually played defense for both of our clubs. Wolski, eh? Winnik was well-liked in his time here, couldn't be re-signed, got a good return. Mueller, eh?

Colorado fans on this board are mostly laid back. Prone to theatrics after a loss. I drunk post about once or twice a year and regret it.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:08 AM
jfisher6
Get dunked!

I'll admit they are fun to watch sometimes. And our goalie is underrated and awesome.

But so far this season they are just making me not want to watch

Old
01-31-2013, 05:52 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Positives:
Good young core already established (Landeskog, Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Downie, McGinn, Johnson, Varlamov).

Slightly above average at drafting and developing.

Cap space to keep the core of the team together.

Negatives:
Too much inexperience everywhere on the team, this includes the coaching.

The defense is terrible, aside from Johnson the rest of the defense is composed of third pairing guys. There is some help on the way in Siemens, Barrie, and Elliott, but even when they make the NHL they are still inexperienced and going to be making mistakes.

Management has not shown they are willing to spend money to improve the on ice situation, yet.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 1665
The positive is that when we're on, we're on. It's a joy to watch.

The problem is that this rarely happens and when it doesn't it is utterly brutal.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Welcome to Avs territory!

We're currently under construction right now, so don't mind the mess. We have expectations to finish renovation by 2013 2022. Where we'll be led by several young stars currently not in the NHL.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:33 AM
benzino

We are so bad right now that even our beat writers that are supposed to be "neutral" is ripping their hair off. We apparently have some exciting young players though.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
agentblack

vCash: 70
I have no clue whats going on

Now is a crappy time with the injuries and holdouts but..
We have some nice pieces here and there
I think we need a new coach , a new voice and philosophy
Mgmt is going to have to make a decision soon on some key positions
Center and D
Our Jersey needs to be redesigned

Old
01-31-2013, 08:44 AM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
I have no clue whats going on

Now is a crappy time with the injuries and holdouts but..
We have some nice pieces here and there
I think we need a new coach , a new voice and philosophy
Mgmt is going to have to make a decision soon on some key positions
Center and D
Our Jersey needs to be redesigned
Yes please, our jersey is just lame, the old Avalanche design was better by a mile....

Old
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

Why what is going on with Yotes?

If you can withstand these following issues,

- We are rebuilding
- We cannot play a full 60 min game
- When we dominate we normally lose
- When we suck we normally win
- We are probably the most bi-polar fan base
- I think we are one of the more funnier fan bases
- We all hate throwball and know football is superior to it in every aspect
- We will hate every coach that Avs will hire
- Oh and hockey gods hate us every year because we seriously have some of the worst injury luck.

The day is darkest before the dawn is basically what describes the Avs.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

Don't forget, our players are all nothing compared to the gods on skates in Toronto.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

If you can withstand these following issues,

- We are rebuilding
- We cannot play a full 60 min game
- When we dominate we normally lose
- When we suck we normally win
- We are probably the most bi-polar fan base
- I think we are one of the more funnier fan bases
- We all hate throwball and know football is superior to it in every aspect
- We will hate every coach that Avs will hire
- Oh and hockey gods hate us every year because we seriously have some of the worst injury luck.

The day is darkest before the dawn is basically what describes the Avs.
You forgot one.

We can't get a power play on blatent violations, and don't know what to do when we actually get the man advantage.

McLeod gets a high stick to the face and a nice cut as a result, he gets a 2 minute penalty for complaining about it. This is Avs hockey.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Positives:
Good young core already established (Landeskog, Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Downie, McGinn, Johnson, Varlamov).

Slightly above average at drafting and developing.

Cap space to keep the core of the team together.

Negatives:
Too much inexperience everywhere on the team, this includes the coaching.

The defense is terrible, aside from Johnson the rest of the defense is composed of third pairing guys. There is some help on the way in Siemens, Barrie, and Elliott, but even when they make the NHL they are still inexperienced and going to be making mistakes.

Management has not shown they are willing to spend money to improve the on ice situation, yet.
The interesting part is, Im pretty sure out of that young established core, I only see Landeskog and Varlamov still wearing an Avs jersey in about 5 to 10 years from now or maybe even sooner than that.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 108
Lets see...
Positives... Well, nothing.
Negatives... Everything!
Future... Probably moving the team to Gary, Indiana within a year or two.

May I suggest another team instead.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Throwball>>>>>>>>>>soccer

Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Another deadline. If Jamison doesn't have the money the lease agreement expires. It isn't a deal-killer, but it does mean starting much of the process over again. And at this point the entire thing already looks like a joke. The league is obviously desperate to keep a franchise in Phoenix, but I'm not sure how much more time they'll give Jamison to get his act and funds together.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Aerolanche

The Avs have a decent set of forwards when healthy. The line of Landeskog, O'Reilly, and Downie was a great luxury last season. Obviously right now all three are sitting out for various reasons, and it is of course extremely noticeable. However, a top nine consisting of Duchene, Parenteau, Landeskog, Stastny, Jones, McGinn, Mitchell, Hejduk, Downie, and sometimes O'Reilly is in my mind pretty good. Jones is heavily overpaid, but he can get you a couple of goals in a 6-2 type victory (as rare as those are), but seemingly he'll never score in a close game. Stastny is overpaid, but I still consider him a good setup centerman. Hejduk is getting older but still has a great shot. The problem is he can never get in position to get a shot off. Mitchell is a pleasant surprise, he plays Tortorella type energy shifts, but Sacco will soon wreck that. Amazing how a hardworking 4th liner can look good when you compare him to Sacco's terrible existing system. O'Reilly is a punk and Lacroix will probably never allow Sherman to sign him after this charade. McLeod can provide a rare spark, but his frustration (at least he cares) usually outweighs this and results in dumb penalties. Bordeleau and Olver are simply not NHL players.

The defense is laughable, and this is partly the fault of Sherman and partly the fault of Sacco. Sacco doesn't have much to work with, but the fact that he uses Hunwick at all is incomprehensible. Hunwick is nothing more than an overpaid guy off the street that wears an NHL jersey. He adds absolutely nothing to the team. He can't hit, he is constantly out of position, his gap control is off, and he hasn't even shown anything offensively in recent memory. Hejda is good, Johnson is good but very good when he plays with a chip on his shoulder. O'Byrne has some rare physical games but is mostly mediocre. Zanon has a sweet beard but should only be used as a number 7 or even 8. Barrie needs to have a better partner to develop. O'Brien seems like a good guy to have around (though I've never been in the room) but helps the team most as a healthy scratch.

No complaints about Varlamov or Giguere. They're an excellent tandem. Varlamov needs a better team to stay more confident, though. When the Avs play like they deserve to win, he is excellent.

It absolutely boggles my mind how Sacco has a job as a head coach in the NHL. He has completely lost the attention of the players, or at least, I hope he has, as I can't conceivably see any coach intentionally telling his team to play so uninspired. He has no clue who is even on his roster. He has the ultimate dart board lineup. He has no set plays, he thinks 3-4 is a good record, and he is out coached almost every single game. It absolutely blows my mind that he hasn't been fired. I've had coaches is junior that are far, far superior to him. I don't personally know if the players even like him, but both Craig Anderson and Kyle Quincey seemed to be very bitter towards him and were happy to leave. I think both of these players seem like amateur whiners, but where there is smoke, there is fire. Even a good team guy like Galiardi seemed happy to leave. When's the next bag skate?

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Closed Thread