HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rogers Arena is a MORGUE

Old
01-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Upper bowl is awesome.

Lower bowl is not.

End of story.
Seriously is a night and day difference. Usually I sit in the lower bowl and I'm surrounded by old guys in ties but today it was great sitting in the upper bowl with rowdy fans all around.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 AM
Prototype1x

Yeah it can be a drag at Rogers Arena sometimes.

the worst instance I've experienced was a game went to overtime against the Avs
I was wearing my Raymond jersey(dont ask), he scores right off a faceoff. the usual Wooos! start going off
We make our way out, still happy, i give a Woooo! on the concourse, and some guy in a suit turns around glares at me and tells me to be quiet.

so, because ive had a few beers i once again Woooo!, but as loud as i possibly can, within a few inches of his face. he scoffed and turned away all annoyed

I can understand a subdued crowd it a dull game, but it was a good game and an overtime win

Prototype1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

While being loud is awesome during a live game, i found the problem with being in the upper bowl is all the drunk idiots. The lower bowl is sometimes too quiet, its hard to find a balance, you either sit with the families or with fans who cheer louder but might be wasted lol.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype1x View Post
Yeah it can be a drag at Rogers Arena sometimes.

the worst instance I've experienced was a game went to overtime against the Avs
I was wearing my Raymond jersey(dont ask), he scores right off a faceoff. the usual Wooos! start going off
We make our way out, still happy, i give a Woooo! on the concourse, and some guy in a suit turns around glares at me and tells me to be quiet.

so, because ive had a few beers i once again Woooo!, but as loud as i possibly can, within a few inches of his face. he scoffed and turned away all annoyed

I can understand a subdued crowd it a dull game, but it was a good game and an overtime win
He thinks the lower bowl is for the more refined fan while the mouth breathers are regulated to the upper section.

I wouldn't be careful not spilling my beer in that section, that's for sure.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
Vancouver has to have the least-rowdy fans of any Canadian team.

Calgary can be bad at times also.

Also how bad are the Avalanche this year...it seems like no matter how good the North West teams can get (Wild, Oilers) at least two of them are destined to suck. (Avs-Flames)
They seem to be going along the same road as Toronto is here with the ACC.

Businesses/suits/snobs get all the lower bowls or it's too expensive for regular fans to even afford.

It's a sad state of affairs when teams do this.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
That photo is section 324, row 14 almost centre ice. (2nd last row) and they are great seats. For what you pay at RA< these are pretty good.

Also I refuse to buy food at rogers arena now. Instead I go to costco across the street and get a giant hotdog for 1.50. You can also get entire meals for 5 bucks, instead of that idiotic gouging inside the arena. Smart smart move by costco. They were getting hundreds of people eating there and lining up. Hell if you're with a buddy, order a huge costco pizza for 13 bucks and eat it before you go in.
I noticed the entrance to Costco as my buddy and I were leaving the game and couldn't help but pick something up before I headed home. The pricing inside the arena is ridiculous. It's a major reason why the arena has such a terrible atmosphere.

I agree next time I'll eat before I enter the arena. Costco's a good idea, especially considering the prices are in such contrast to those inside the arena.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 AM
JetsAlternate

Having been in both the upper and lower bowls, I've noticed there are more families in the upper bowl as well. This makes sense, considering the tickets are cheaper, and more tickets need to be purchased to accommodate every family member.

This sometimes causes clashes as families and drunken young adults end up sitting quite near each other. One time, one rowdy fan was mouthing off at the opposing players from the upper bowl, and an older lady yelled at him to "watch your language." Sometimes, one audience member from the upper bowl will shout a taunt at the opposing player, i.e. "Hooooooowwwaaaard!" or "TURCO SUCKS!" Most fans seated around him will chuckle, though you may hear another fan somewhere on the other side of the rink echo the taunt.

It's an awkward dynamic.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:09 AM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Having been in both the upper and lower bowls, I've noticed there are more families in the upper bowl as well. This makes sense, considering the tickets are cheaper, and more tickets need to be purchased to accommodate every family member.

This sometimes causes clashes as families and drunken young adults end up sitting quite near each other. One time, one rowdy fan was mouthing off at the opposing players from the upper bowl, and an older lady yelled at him to "watch your language." Sometimes, one audience member from the upper bowl will shout a taunt at the opposing player, i.e. "Hooooooowwwaaaard!" or "TURCO SUCKS!" Most fans seated around him will chuckle, though you may hear another fan somewhere on the other side of the rink echo the taunt.

It's an awkward dynamic.
I just tell my 8 year old son before a game that he's going to hear some bad words, and that if I ever catch him repeating them he's toast. I'm there to have fun and watch a game, not to be some sort of profanity watchdog.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Hammer79

Were you actually at the game? If not, you don't know how loud it is or isn't. They use a lot of noise filtering on the broadcasts.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:36 AM
frivolousz21

Gotta love being in a cheap small-mid American market.

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Edit: That being said I still try and get to a few games per year and I have been told numerous times to "keep it down", from people in my section. And its rarely ever profanity either
I would flip out on that person and make it my goal to be as loud and obnoxious as possible.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:31 AM
DingoAteMyBaby

We're just waiting for the playoffs.

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I think any team can be like this. Yeah, I can afford excellent seats in club level or lower level for a Lightning game. But sometimes it's more fun to sit with the crazy people upstairs. Lower level people are not bad by any means and can get rowdy too, but the club level folks are boring.

Leave it to the yuppie types to ruin anything fun. Figures.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Reign Nateo

Canucks used to be one of the rowdier arenas, as they got better it got quieter and quieter. There is a lot of money and corportate sponsorship in Vancouver and only one pro sports team. Most of the lower bowl is suits on phones unfortunately. But as has been said, the upper bowl is a bit more exciting. It's kind of too bad, but it all goes away in the playoffs.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Rocko604

I worked at GM Place/Rogers from 04-08. Some nights were indeed quiet, but others were pretty rowdy. It really depended on the night of the week, and who they were playing. Back then games vs the Calgary, Edmonton and Detroit were gongshows.

The one time I remember sitting in the lower bowl as a spectator was in 08/09 vs. Dallas. Was a few rows behind the Stars bench and it actually was pretty loud. Lot of people heckling the Stars players, standing up for big hits, big plays etc. Sat in the upper bowl numerous times, and by far the rowdiest and most fun time I had was the regular season game vs. Boston in 2011.

As a non-Canucks fan, trust me when I say that while it may be a quiet building during the regular season, it can be very loud during the playoffs.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
MilanKraft

How empty would these arenas be without all these corporate tickets....

Go from a morgue to a ghost town.

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Its become a "place to be seen" for the cities rich. The rink is mostly filled with extremely wealthy casual fans, or people getting tickets as corporate handouts. Its just become too expensive for your average hardcore hockey fans to get into games in Vancouver.

Edit: That being said I still try and get to a few games per year and I have been told numerous times to "keep it down", from people in my section. And its rarely ever profanity either
"GO CANUCKS GO!"

"Hey, hey, calm down. What, do you think you're at a hockey game or something?"

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Its become a "place to be seen" for the cities rich. The rink is mostly filled with extremely wealthy casual fans, or people getting tickets as corporate handouts. Its just become too expensive for your average hardcore hockey fans to get into games in Vancouver.

Damn that sucks.
Luckily a lot of wealthy fans that go to games are just rig pigs.

So we always get a rowdy, profanity filled evening.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Canucks used to be one of the rowdier arenas, as they got better it got quieter and quieter. There is a lot of money and corportate sponsorship in Vancouver and only one pro sports team. Most of the lower bowl is suits on phones unfortunately. But as has been said, the upper bowl is a bit more exciting. It's kind of too bad, but it all goes away in the playoffs.
Yup. As others have mentioned, it's a place to be seen for the trendy and nouveau riche of the city. Vancouver has a lot of 'those' people.. but of course, because I'm a 'suburban fan who doesn't actually go to games,' (I've been to plenty) I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter, right, craigcaulks?

Last edited by Free Torts: 01-31-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanKraft View Post
How empty would these arenas be without all these corporate tickets....

Go from a morgue to a ghost town.
Would still sell out no question.

A city like Vancouver could probably sell 40,000+ tickets to an NHL game. The problem is sight-lines and price.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
CoopALoop

I've always noticed that the mics/acoustics at Rogers arena doesn't transfer well onto tv.

Was at the Columbus game last year on St. Patty's Day. Lower bowl (company tickets).

Was fairly loud overall and everyone was having a good time. Hell it was st patty's day.

Next day, parentals mentioned how quiet the crowd was during that game while my ears were still ringing.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
I've always noticed that the mics/acoustics at Rogers arena doesn't transfer well onto tv.

Was at the Columbus game last year on St. Patty's Day. Lower bowl (company tickets).

Was fairly loud overall and everyone was having a good time. Hell it was st patty's day.

Next day, parentals mentioned how quiet the crowd was during that game while my ears were still ringing.
Production crews have a big influence as well. A certain political candidate was trotted out in Philadelphia some years ago to a sustained and loud chorus of boos which was inaudible in the broadcast.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
theripper

everytime I've gone to a canucks game,and tried to cheer, i'd have a lot of people around me give me the look. please,if you don't like cheering and loud noise then stay and watch the game at home. I'm not talking about being obnoxious, just having a good time.

theripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
It seems to me that the only Canadian team that has a good crowd are the habs....other Canadian arenas are so quiet...though if the Leafs start doing something ,I would imagine that could be a pretty lively crowd!
Winnipeg?

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Same thing at the Dome. As an Avs fan I get chirped at a lot when I have seats up top. Down below was pretty quiet.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote