HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
  #726
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 665
If there is one thing we all know from the Glendale saga, its that we don't know what could possibly happen next...

From Balsille, to Goldwater and Cupcake summits, to the drunk Ice Edge guys playing games out of Saskatoon, to Mr. "But I Love Hockey!" Hulzier, to Little Logan & crazy guy in a USA flag shirt at midnight Glendale council meetings with a clueless city manager.....its a total gongshow that may never end!


Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
The new leaders want nothing of the sort.
They will not he funding anything else by the sounds of it.

mzappa is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:22 AM
  #727
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It's ridiculous. If they couldn't get it done with that dog and pony show city council in Glendale basically writing them a blank cheque, there is no way it gets done with this new council who will be trying to stop the bleeding.

It is all optics right now. Glendale, a TOWN of 250,000 spent a thousand dollars for every man woman and child building a rink for the Coyotes and maybe double that when all is said and done trying to keep the team there. The NHL just can't pack up in the middle of the night, they won't get another US city to build them a new rink ever again.

They are at the point though where the team is pretty much guaranteed in another market come September.
What's really troubling was that the COG (city of Glendale) was willing to give over $300 million to Jamison without him ever revealing his investors.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 AM
  #728
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It's ridiculous. If they couldn't get it done with that dog and pony show city council in Glendale basically writing them a blank cheque, there is no way it gets done with this new council who will be trying to stop the bleeding.

It is all optics right now. Glendale, a TOWN of 250,000 spent a thousand dollars for every man woman and child building a rink for the Coyotes and maybe double that when all is said and done trying to keep the team there. The NHL just can't pack up in the middle of the night, they won't get another US city to build them a new rink ever again.

They are at the point though where the team is pretty much guaranteed in another market come September.
This is something that has been overlooked in recent times. This has always been a major reason the NHL has fought so long and hard for the Coyotes.

But at this point, it's basically over. Jamison was the last hope. Team is dead man walking.

Hopefully the Kings (Sacremento) deal comes through for Hansen right away and Levin jumps in here and Seattle gets NBA and NHL in one fell swoop.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:00 AM
  #729
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is something that has been overlooked in recent times. This has always been a major reason the NHL has fought so long and hard for the Coyotes.

But at this point, it's basically over. Jamison was the last hope. Team is dead man walking.

Hopefully the Kings (Sacremento) deal comes through for Hansen right away and Levin jumps in here and Seattle gets NBA and NHL in one fell swoop.
Seattle is a gorgeous city. Should have never lost the Sonics. They need a new arena asap.

I would still prefer them move to QC but I think that is going to be an expansion market.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:10 AM
  #730
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Seattle is a gorgeous city. Should have never lost the Sonics. They need a new arena asap.

I would still prefer them move to QC but I think that is going to be an expansion market.
Yeah. It's all about optics. Always. Losing 2 american cities to 2 canadian cities in 3 years is just not going to fly in NHL head office or US. Optics don't work, same as letting the Coyotes go without a fight, they needed to fight the fight in Glendale to ensure possible future rinks using public money.

Plus the league will extract a heck of lot more from Quebec and Hamilton/Toronto 2 in expansion fees, since they are "safer" markets. Makes better sense to relocate to Seattle rather than Quebec, IMO.

I really think the league is going to expand in a year or two. The seriously considered it coming out of the lockout last time with few viable markets (maybe WPG and KC in 07, but neither were ready at the time, KC has no interest now, IMO), now they have several markets like Markham, Quebec, Seattle busting the doors down trying to get in it seems, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:40 AM
  #731
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
I wonder if they'll try to expand into Houstan.

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:19 AM
  #732
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 50
Nashville with 10 goals in six games.

I bet they wish they hadn't burned their bridges to Russia last year in the playoffs.

Gnova is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
  #733
mondena
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cape Town
Country: South Africa
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Yakupov sure has some amazing hand/eye coordination, not sure why Morris was so upset by his celebration. Last time he went skating towards center ice and everything gave him heck, now this time he is inviting his teammates to come celebrate with him, and he is still in trouble!

mondena is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  #734
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondena View Post
Yakupov sure has some amazing hand/eye coordination, not sure why Morris was so upset by his celebration. Last time he went skating towards center ice and everything gave him heck, now this time he is inviting his teammates to come celebrate with him, and he is still in trouble!
Whitney said something to him... Thats why he lost it

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
  #735
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Jason Spezza appears to be out 2 months. He will undergo back surgery this week. OUCH, Sens.

Guerzy is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
  #736
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Carolina's Zach Boychuk has been claimed off waivers. Waiting to see who claimed him. I am glad this kid will get out of Carolina and get a fresh start and opportunity somewhere.

And he was claimed by Pittsburgh! That's great, hopefully he gets a good opportunity there and makes the most of it. Talented kid.

Guerzy is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:56 PM
  #737
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Nashville with 10 goals in six games.

I bet they wish they hadn't burned their bridges to Russia last year in the playoffs.
Ugh...it's really getting hard to watch.

We can't cycle the puck for longer than 5 seconds at a time. Can't breakout and there are sooooo many giveaways.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:01 PM
  #738
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is something that has been overlooked in recent times. This has always been a major reason the NHL has fought so long and hard for the Coyotes.

But at this point, it's basically over. Jamison was the last hope. Team is dead man walking.

Hopefully the Kings (Sacremento) deal comes through for Hansen right away and Levin jumps in here and Seattle gets NBA and NHL in one fell swoop.
Really don't understand why you think the Coyotes should go to Seattle (unproven market) over Quebec City (proven market-would mirror Jets success), please explain. Personally as a Canadian I find it strange.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
  #739
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 297
I'd rather see Seattle. Personal preference.
I think Seattle is at worst a good market, at best a slam dunk. I think that markets potential is greater than QC's.
We also need more western teams not less, not that it's a deciding factor.

I also don't think being a Canadian has anything to do with it.

wpgsilver is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
  #740
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Really don't understand why you think the Coyotes should go to Seattle (unproven market) over Quebec City (proven market-would mirror Jets success), please explain. Personally as a Canadian I find it strange.
QC still faces the same problems they did before. It's a much more predominantly francophone population than Montreal which limits some of their outside support and marketing. Filling seats isn't the only thing that makes a team economically viable. Which is why Bettman targeted southern teams, to try and gain the TV market, which has already provided a boon to the NHL's pockets.

To quote a wikipedia article:
Quote:
Arguably, the Nordiques felt the difficulties created by the new environment more than the league's other Canadian teams. Quebec City was the smallest market in the NHL, and the second-smallest major-league city in North America, behind only Green Bay, Wisconsin, home to the National Football League's Green Bay Packers. However, the Nordiques didn't have a nearby major market on which to draw support, as the Packers do with Milwaukee. Additionally, Quebec City is a virtually monolingual francophone city. Unlike in Montreal and Ottawa (the other NHL cities with large francophone fan bases), all public address announcements were only given in French. Then as now, there were no privately owned English-language radio stations, and only one privately owned English-language television station. Then as now, the only English-language newspaper was the weekly Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph. These factors severely limited the Nordiques' marketability even in their best years, and made many non-French players (most notably Lindros) wary of playing for them. While the Nordiques had a fairly loyal fan base, it was not enough for them to be viable in the new environment.
If you think Montreal is bad for hiring only French speaking coaches and management (which is so, so dumb) wait until QC gets a team.

Seattle has a huge market from which to draw. Seattle and surrounding cities like Portland and Everett sell out junior hockey, not to mention a very large population from which to draw from. Even with 3 other major sports Seattle could easily maintain it's viability due to those surrounding markets.

I understand the whole "I'm Canadian so I think another team should go in Canada" thinking, but my thinking is "I'm a hockey fan, so I want hockey to go where it can prosper". It's in my thinking that both places could support a hockey team, but I think Seattle has the opportunity to really take off as an NHL franchise market. Whereas QC still runs the risk of stuttering.

Sweech is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
  #741
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'd rather see Seattle. Personal preference.
I think Seattle is at worst a good market, at best a slam dunk. I think that markets potential is greater than QC's.
We also need more western teams not less, not that it's a deciding factor.

I also don't think being a Canadian has anything to do with it.
Explain why Seattle was passed over in every other expansion bid, I think people are way too optimistic about Seattle, sure it is a wealthy city that may afford a lot of corporate support but I wonder if they are really into hockey. Sure Seattle may have greater potential, the city is 5 times as big, but there are 8 million hockey fans in the province of Quebec. A team in Seattle will be the 5th team in that city, NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS followed by the NHL.

Really don't see what the problem is covering the Nordiques in French or the team operating in French, I mean we have two official languages in Canada, it's not like the Flames or Oilers broadcast or make arena announcements in both official languages. The Wikipeida article is plain dumb and 20 years out of date.

Bettman tried to get the TV market with southern teams and it was an epic fail, ratings for hockey in southern cities are so bad they don't even register, in fact NBC doesn't even bother showing southern teams on their broadcasts.

We've had this discussion before, you guys know where I stand.

PS Sweech, the NHL is still pretty much a gate driven league, as the Jets have shown. Pretty tough to make a go of it in southern locations where your basically giving tickets away.


Last edited by sipowicz: 01-31-2013 at 01:41 PM.
sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
  #742
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Explain why Seattle was passed over in every other expansion bid, I think people are way too optimistic about Seattle, sure it is a wealthy city that may afford a lot of corporate support but I wonder if they are really into hockey. Sure Seattle may have greater potential, the city is 5 times as big, but there are 8 million hockey fans in the province of Quebec. A team in Seattle will be the 5th team in that city, NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS followed by the NHL.
Why was any other successful franchise passed over during any expansion (for any sport for that matter, NHL, NFL, NBA)? Maybe they didn't put in a bid? No ownership group established, No arena development plans, etc. there's plenty of reasons.

How do you wonder if they're into hockey when they sell out junior teams that aren't even doing well? Cheap tickets means nothing. People have to still want to go and watch the game. It's the same reason not every city has successful junior or AHL level hockey. Not to mention the fact that many of those people regularly cross the border to watch NHL (Vancouver) games. That shows a heavy amount of dedication.

Plus like I stated before, you have to look at secondary markets. Seattle has an abundance of them and QC has exactly zero. Montreal dominates all of them and the whole 8 million people thing is bull, not every Canadian is a hockey fan, I hate to break it to you. Not to mention how badly skewed the pie chart would be for Montreal fans to QC fans.

Sweech is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
  #743
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Explain why Seattle was passed over in every other expansion bid, I think people are way too optimistic about Seattle, sure it is a wealthy city that may afford a lot of corporate support but I wonder if they are really into hockey. Sure Seattle may have greater potential, the city is 5 times as big, but there are 8 million hockey fans in the province of Quebec. A team in Seattle will be the 5th team in that city, NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS followed by the NHL.
One major reason they were "passed over" was lack of a suitable arena. They are building an arena with the idea of luring an NHL team to play alongside an nba team. To me this affirms their desire to acquire a team. I also don't think city council would fund it, if there wasn't support from the populous (unlike Glendale, I think most city council have the ability to use their brains.)

I don't buy counting the whole province as potential Nordiques fans. The majority of that province supports the Habs, to think those people who have been Habs fans for decades will switch is silly to me.

It may be fifth to arrive but I think it can be third most popular, behind the Seahawks and the sonics. I also don't think a market that size and that wealthy would struggle supporting all five.

wpgsilver is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
  #744
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Why was any other successful franchise passed over during any expansion (for any sport for that matter, NHL, NFL, NBA)? Maybe they didn't put in a bid? No ownership group established, No arena development plans, etc. there's plenty of reasons.

How do you wonder if they're into hockey when they sell out junior teams that aren't even doing well? Cheap tickets means nothing. People have to still want to go and watch the game. It's the same reason not every city has successful junior or AHL level hockey. Not to mention the fact that many of those people regularly cross the border to watch NHL (Vancouver) games. That shows a heavy amount of dedication.

Plus like I stated before, you have to look at secondary markets. Seattle has an abundance of them and QC has exactly zero. Montreal dominates all of them and the whole 8 million people thing is bull, not every Canadian is a hockey fan, I hate to break it to you. Not to mention how badly skewed the pie chart would be for Montreal fans to QC fans.
This argument is ridiculous, how many people do you really think drive from Seattle to Vancouver to watch the average Canucks game, my guess under a 100 per game.

QC's CHL team has an average attendance higher than the two Seattle area teams and Portland combined. To think people will drive from Portland to watch an NHL team play in Seattle is about the same argument that people will drive from Tucson to Phoenix to watch the Coyotes play.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  #745
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Really don't understand why you think the Coyotes should go to Seattle (unproven market) over Quebec City (proven market-would mirror Jets success), please explain. Personally as a Canadian I find it strange.
I like it. It strengthens the NHL's West Coast presence which has just been getting better and better. It provides a great (and closer rival) for Vancouver. Seattle is a great sports city and they will do well with an NHL team. It won't be like Phoenix, they will slowly build a loyal and strong hockey fan base.

Don't worry about Quebec City. They will pay the big bucks to the NHL and get an expansion franchise. That market can sustain building a team up from nothing. It's better to put an established team in a new market so they can see a more successful product from the start.

I think Seattle will be a very solid NHL city.

Jet is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
  #746
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
I just don't understand the mentality of many hockey fans who try to create debates on who deserves a hockey team more than another city. It's just too self entitled for me. Why can't we just celebrate and support the people and cities who have teams and hope for expansion to other cities to try and grow the game.

I'm sure it happens in other sports, but nowhere near as prevalent as it is with this game. We've heard the saying before that hockey fans are the best in the world, but when it comes to topics like this I have a hard time believing it.

Just my 2 cents.

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
  #747
BennyTheJet
Registered User
 
BennyTheJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
A good friend of mine just got signed to the Leafs. I don't know how to feel. I'm happy for him, and it will be great to have him living here in Toronto. But I'm going to have to fake an interest in his team... Haha

BennyTheJet is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
  #748
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
This argument is ridiculous, how many people do you really think drive from Seattle to Vancouver to watch the average Canucks game, my guess under a 100 per game.

QC's CHL team has an average attendance higher than the two Seattle area teams and Portland combined. To think people will drive from Portland to watch an NHL team play in Seattle is about the same argument that people will drive from Tucson to Phoenix to watch the Coyotes play.
I'm just arguing your assumption that there's no hockey fans in the area. There's plenty. The difference in driving from Milwaukee to Green Bay and driving from Portland to Seattle is about 50 minutes. Not to mention I'm not saying one goes from downtown Portland straight to Seattle. My point is all the surrounding populous supports their teams, so the populous between Portland and Seattle should theoretically support the Seattle team. I think there will be plenty of people who make the trip.

Also, where are you getting these CHL attendance numbers?

Sweech is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
  #749
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Calling it now, Phoenix goes to Quebec city and Seattle and Houstan get expansion teams. Houstan then moves within 25 years. Feel free to quote me in 2037!

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
  #750
IceCapsFanNL
Registered User
 
IceCapsFanNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 995
vCash: 500
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm all for the return of the Nordiques.

IceCapsFanNL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.