HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Tanev Appreciation Thread.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:59 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Isn't that the game Tanev played at RIT? I think Tanev is an offensive defenseman that is just playing it safe because he's made such a huge jump to the AHL level, let alone to the NHL.

What's the word on McNally's defensive game? Is there anywhere to find some quotes on his play this past season? He's like a ghost...
I don't see much similarity in McNally's and Tanev's game. Tanev is a puck mover and McNally is a puck rusher.

Tanev's strengths all stem from his hockey IQ, his ability to move to puck in a smart and efficient manner, and his skating. IMO, he is a stud defensively. Which is something I don't think i could say for McNally, based on the miniscule footage there is of him or the reports. McNally rushes the puck aggressively, often trying to out-deke opponents to the net and pushing the pace. But this does not really help his defensive game - i've read that he is undisciplined and will continually get out of position to make offensive plays. He's creative with the puck, but some say those plays won't fly in higher levels.

I liken him to a PK Subban's rushing style prior to his draft year, if anyone remembers that. I don't think his path will be smooth and fast like Tanev. A few years in College will help him adjust.

We talked about him in the prospects thread Part 6; his team won their league championship and i think he was named their MVP. He had another good year, dominated that Prep league.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
opendoor

Tanev's a pretty damn cool story. An undrafted college player who was signed at the age of 20 barely over 12 months ago who is now going to be playing in a possible cup clinching game.

You've got to wonder if his progress might make Vancouver an even more attractive location for undrafted prospects. Tanev and Volpatti both got a lot of time in the NHL (and the paycheque that comes with it) in the first year after they signed and Lack made great strides. Despite being a top team with great depth they've certainly allowed players to work their way up if their play warrants it.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
two plays really stuck out with me as far as Tanev's offensive potential is concerned. Obviously the pass to Glass was a brilliant look, especially given the context of Tanev's first ever SCF game.

the other one, not sure who it was to and it wasn't a big deal, but Tanev was skating the puck up, looked like he was going make the red line and dump it in but instead made a nice pass inside to someone streaking down the middle. Didn't lead to much but it was such a nice, simple, effective play...sky's the limit with this kid.

stop me if I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if Edler and Tanev could build some chemistry next year we could have ourselves a franchise pairing for the next ten years! Woooooo!
Me and a buddy of mine were talking about Tanev like 20 seconds before this play and how his name rarely pops up and how it's a good thing, just making all the simple plays and all that he does and then this play happens and I just go "See, that's what I'm talking about! Solid heads up pass."

I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit, but I like where your head's at. Definitely a ton of upside once he fills out that frame. I can't wait.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:34 PM
BC Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Tanev's a pretty damn cool story. An undrafted college player who was signed at the age of 20 barely over 12 months ago who is now going to be playing in a possible cup clinching game.

You've got to wonder if his progress might make Vancouver an even more attractive location for undrafted prospects. Tanev and Volpatti both got a lot of time in the NHL (and the paycheque that comes with it) in the first year after they signed and Lack made great strides. Despite being a top team with great depth they've certainly allowed players to work their way up if their play warrants it.
Exactly. The best teams, even when contending, should always be looking to develop prospects into future stars and the Canucks are doing that in spades on the blue line. I just hope we can find another Pavel Bure in the next 5 years!

BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
TheLastSedin

Rookie D-man with no PIMS? this guy is clearly cheating.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:20 PM
aum

Anyone think the coaching staff from the Moose has better patience in their players (since it's AHL and they're dealing with young players) than the Nucks'? I remember AV crediting them for helping mold Hansen. In honesty, the last couple of years Hansen didn't have a fair shake and it was only this year had he got the opportunity to be played in every game. I remember he used to be benched for Bernier or some other player who was cold on the offense yet AV kept playing him. This also applied to Grabner, and I don't think he would flourish under AV. This is where I would like to critique his philosophy of dressing your best players and not based it on salary; which seemed to apply only to Ballard this year.

No doubt that Tanev's calmness and decision-making are even above Alberts' last night. I doubt Alberts would make that play where Tanev passed it to Glass. Alberts and Rome's downside is that they've been instilled with AV's system too stringently that they tend to make only those routine plays (flipping out the d zone or off the glass) that sometimes in doing so stops potential goal-scoring chances. Tanev has showed he has high hockey IQ. I think being coached under Moose's coaching staff also helped with his development and having played several NHL games during the regular season allowed him to adapt quickly.

aum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Intoewsables

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSedin View Post
Rookie D-man with no PIMS? this guy is clearly cheating.
Just another reason to hate the Canucks. BAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:37 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

What happened to the other 'What do we have in Chris Tanev' thread? Or do we need to make another one?

Anyway, Tanev was solid and looked very poised out there when paired with Alberts. What a guy. He's looked steady in every game he's played in, kudos to him.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aum View Post
Anyone think the coaching staff from the Moose has better patience in their players (since it's AHL and they're dealing with young players) than the Nucks'? I remember AV crediting them for helping mold Hansen. In honesty, the last couple of years Hansen didn't have a fair shake and it was only this year had he got the opportunity to be played in every game. I remember he used to be benched for Bernier or some other player who was cold on the offense yet AV kept playing him. This also applied to Grabner, and I don't think he would flourish under AV. This is where I would like to critique his philosophy of dressing your best players and not based it on salary; which seemed to apply only to Ballard this year.

No doubt that Tanev's calmness and decision-making are even above Alberts' last night. I doubt Alberts would make that play where Tanev passed it to Glass. Alberts and Rome's downside is that they've been instilled with AV's system too stringently that they tend to make only those routine plays (flipping out the d zone or off the glass) that sometimes in doing so stops potential goal-scoring chances. Tanev has showed he has high hockey IQ. I think being coached under Moose's coaching staff also helped with his development and having played several NHL games during the regular season allowed him to adapt quickly.
Great post, good point about the AHL doing a great job of developing guys.

I keep clicking on this thread hoping that kidroll has made a gif of Tanev making plays with a cigarette in his mouth, but alas not yet.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:03 AM
akira604

akira604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

I really hope he gets some minutes next year, kid's potential is awesome.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
I really hope he gets some minutes next year, kid's potential is awesome.
We saw him being a human tonight but nothing major. Think it was him that lost an edge behind the net a la Ballard and got up to get back into the play.

Thought he was better at the end which is a good sign he can shake off some less than good plays.

Im surprise at well he plays the body both taking and giving hits.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

A positive in 2 periods with little to be positive about.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
solitary

Atleast Tanev is a bright spot from this run

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:49 PM
The Big Foot

I thought he was our best defenseman tonight. A real gamer.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 AM
trytobe

thought this thread is worth a necro seeing as how tanev has been our best dman 7 games into this season.

wonder how much it would take to re-sign him after this season (he will be an RFA, not sure about arb rights). here's hoping he'll take a loyalty contract a la burrows and sign for 1.5m for another 3 seasons.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:05 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
thought this thread is worth a necro seeing as how tanev has been our best dman 7 games into this season.

wonder how much it would take to re-sign him after this season (he will be an RFA, not sure about arb rights). here's hoping he'll take a loyalty contract a la burrows and sign for 1.5m for another 3 seasons.
I say 1.2 to be honest.
He has great hockey sense, and he makes good to great passes, but he doesn't have a shot.
It is harder in the last game, but it is still pretty weak.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:08 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira604 View Post
agree'd

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:09 AM
Apple Juice

Tanev is worth around 1.5 million.. anything more and he's asking for too much.. He does have a pretty hard slap shot, well recently anyways, and I hope he hits the net more often now. Probably, our best defenseman overall in terms of playing style and consistency. Hamhuis is our best D but Tanev is like a 1b imo

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Gotta love Chris, so calm and collected on defense.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:32 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

1.5m 2 years hopefully

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
1.5m 2 years hopefully
Tanev is awesome, but I doubt he gets that much as a bottom pairing defenceman who doesn't score much. Most 16-18 minute RFA defencemen who don't put up points the past two years have ended up with cap hits around $1-1.2 million mostly on 2-3 year deals (Braun, Demers, Sauer, Lee, Butler, Peckham, Alzner, etc.).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Tanev is awesome, but I doubt he gets that much as a bottom pairing defenceman who doesn't score much. Most 16-18 minute RFA defencemen who don't put up points the past two years have ended up with cap hits around $1-1.2 million mostly on 2-3 year deals (Braun, Demers, Sauer, Lee, Butler, Peckham, Alzner, etc.).
I know what you are saying but in a world where UFAs Rome gets 1.5m and Alberts gets 1.25m I'd gladly pay a guy of Tanev's ability a 1.5m RFA contract. Oilers gave up a 3rd in this ultra deep draft for Fistric and $1.45m contract. The way he and Ballard playing it's almost unfair to consider them a 3rd pairing. Getting into a fight with Tanev over a couple of hundred grand doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited by me2: 01-31-2013 at 06:47 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Tanev the head hunting boarding machine

AndyPipkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

LOL at that boarding call on him yesterday.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote