HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

vCash: 500
Things have changed alot since last year. ALOT.

Markov is back and healthy.
Gionta is back and healthy.
Gomez is gone.
Campoli is gone..thank ****.
Emelin and diaz have a year of NHL experience under their belts.
Gallagher, prust, galchenyuk additions have been superb...bouillon has been rock solid as well.

and most of all...the coach knows how to coach. bourque actually gives a ****, and plekanec has him and gionta on his wings.

Price is even better too.

I am very optimistic about this team and about the direction of the team with this deep draft and how well timmins did last especially having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

i hope this thread gets pushed waaay down and we never look at it again.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post

Gomez is gone.
Gallagher, prust, galchenyuk additions have been superb...bouillon has been rock solid as well.

and most of all...the coach knows how to coach. bourque actually gives a ****, and plekanec has him and gionta on his wings.

I am very optimistic about this team and about the direction of the team with this deep draft and how well timmins did last especially having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

It's a marathon, not a sprint and not a roller coaster. Teams will have ups and downs. Folks that change their opinions based on hot or cold starts don't really have any real convictions towards their beliefs.

Yes there have been some changes and we'll see if we can keep winning games. But Markov is still an injury risk. We've had the easiest schedule of any team in the NHL. Its going to be a weird year no matter what. Right now clubs like the Rangers and Canucks are failing. I don't think that's going to hold true the whole season but unlike regular years where things equal out in the long run a slow or hot start can kill or make you.

Right now we're playing great hockey. If that continues, then sure forget about rebuilding for the time being. I honestly do believe that we have three or four players that actually might be good enough to lead us to a cup one day. And maybe our march up the standings begins this year. Maybe it's the case but we'll need more the five games against easy pickings to believe this. And the fundamentals haven't changed, Markov is still a huge injury risk. We still don't have great forwards in our lineup. Every year we look like champs one night and chumps the next. With PK and Markov in the lineup maybe this changes but let's wait longer than 5 games to say that we don't need to continue with the rebuild.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's a marathon, not a sprint and not a roller coaster. Teams will have ups and downs. Folks that change their opinions based on hot or cold starts don't really have any real convictions towards their beliefs.

Yes there have been some changes and we'll see if we can keep winning games. But Markov is still an injury risk. We've had the easiest schedule of any team in the NHL. Its going to be a weird year no matter what. Right now clubs like the Rangers and Canucks are failing. I don't think that's going to hold true the whole season but unlike regular years where things equal out in the long run a slow or hot start can kill or make you.

Right now we're playing great hockey. If that continues, then sure forget about rebuilding for the time being. I honestly do believe that we have three or four players that actually might be good enough to lead us to a cup one day. And maybe our march up the standings begins this year. Maybe it's the case but we'll need more the five games against easy pickings to believe this. And the fundamentals haven't changed, Markov is still a huge injury risk. We still don't have great forwards in our lineup. Every year we look like champs one night and chumps the next. With PK and Markov in the lineup maybe this changes but let's wait longer than 5 games to say that we don't need to continue with the rebuild.
I agree, anybody who changes their mind on things 5 or 6 games into the season had a hollow perspective in the first place. If your opinions are grounded on solid bedrock, it should take substantial evidence to change them.

Los Angeles is in 9th place.
Pittsburgh is in 10th place.
Philadelphia is in 13th place.
and... Tampa Bay is in 2nd place.

We shouldn't be taking the standings too seriously. In particular, we've played 4 homes games and 2 road games, and our team has scored 18 goals on 167 shots, implying opposing goalies have had a .892 save percentage against us. That won't last, typical around the league might be .910, which would be a ~15-20% reduction in goal scoring.

I don't expect the team to stay in 5th place.

What I'm worried about however, is that we might be an 8th place team at the deadline. That would encourage the GM to stay put. If your best-case scenario is correct, and Galchenyuk-Subban-Price-Pacioretty has an outside shot at being a cup contending core, then that is all the more reason to sell, sell, sell at the deadline, as we just need to add a bit more fuel to the fire to light a championship flame.

I note that we have three offensive smurfs, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, and Brenden Gallagher. On that basis, I think that one of Gionta or Desharnais should be traded at the deadline, preferably Gionta.

If Bourque and Kaberle are swapped for 4th rounders we will clear enough cap space to go after Corey Perry.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I agree, anybody who changes their mind on things 5 or 6 games into the season had a hollow perspective in the first place. If your opinions are grounded on solid bedrock, it should take substantial evidence to change them.

We shouldn't be taking the standings too seriously. In particular, we've played 4 homes games and 2 road games, and our team has scored 18 goals on 167 shots, implying opposing goalies have had a .892 save percentage against us. That won't last, typical around the league might be .910, which would be a ~15-20% reduction in goal scoring.

What I'm worried about however, is that we might be an 8th place team at the deadline. That would encourage the GM to stay put. If your best-case scenario is correct, and Galchenyuk-Subban-Price-Pacioretty has an outside shot at being a cup contending core, then that is all the more reason to sell, sell, sell at the deadline, as we just need to add a bit more fuel to the fire to light a championship flame.

I note that we have three offensive smurfs, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, and Brenden Gallagher. On that basis, I think that one of Gionta or Desharnais should be traded at the deadline, preferably Gionta.

If Bourque and Kaberle are swapped for 4th rounders we will clear enough cap space to go after Corey Perry.
the rebuilding thing are grounded on thin air, nothing solid there...

That's what Ottawa did, staying put, and yet they have one of the youngest teams in the whole league.

DD has no trade value, Gionta has a NTC

Bourque has a NTC and 3 more years on his contract, Kaberle has negative value as he's barely good enough to play 3rd pair and he also has another year on his contract.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post

Gomez is gone.

add Ryan White (healthy) & Prust also...

still we will probably be fighting for a playoff spot

Old
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

What I'm worried about however, is that we might be an 8th place team at the deadline. That would encourage the GM to stay put. If your best-case scenario is correct, and Galchenyuk-Subban-Price-Pacioretty has an outside shot at being a cup contending core
, then that is all the more reason to sell, sell, sell at the deadline, as we just need to add a bit more fuel to the fire to light a championship flame.

I don't expect us to finish in 5th, but it doesn't look like we are going to finish last either. I thought whole idea of a surgical tank was do nothing and we would end up at the bottom of standings again. Then after adding this top-5 pick we could turn everything around in 2-3 years and be a contender. Now you're saying if we don't suck enough we should start trading Gionta, Bourque & Kaberle in the hopes that we end up as bad as you thought we were. Do you think losing those 3 will make us drop that far in the standings that we can get a coveted top 5 pick?

And I'm sure Perry would love to sign with a team that was in playoffs and decided to sell a bunch of players. It's not like he would want to be on a team that actually tries to make the playoffs or anything

By the way if 2 1st line forwards, a 1st pairing D, and a top 5 goalie only give you an outside chance at being a contender, then what exactly is a cup contender?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Et le But

This thread might come in useful.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Undertakerqc

The official 2013 Tank thread!!

Seing how we have played in the last 3 games, i tough it was fitting to start the Tank thread. This year being such a special deep draft, finishing low in the standings would set us well for the long term. We could also start trading likes of DD, Cole, Bourque, Markov, Plekanec and Gionta and get draft picks for this years draft.

Anyway with those players we will never win a cup.

Get the TANK ON!!!

Old
02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 266
Jesus Christ... As ugly as it is tonight, we'll be 6-4-1. That's above .500!!!

Old
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Jesus Christ... As ugly as it is tonight, we'll be 6-4-1. That's above .500!!!
With a home heavy schedule and facing some of the worst teams in the league so far for the most part. Not too mention OTT without Spezza and Gonchar.

This is a team that may still make the playoffs, but it's far more because of how bad the East is than anything else.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Only 4 points away from the coveted bottom 6!

Old
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Only 4 points away from the coveted bottom 6!
YEAHHH!!!

Old
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
coolasprICE

"feels a lil like 2012"

Old
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Et le But

You aren't making the playoffs if you are getting beat around by all your division rivals, sorry. It would be nice to face the Caps, Jets, Panthers in Montreal every game, but sadly it doesn't work like that.

Old
JesusBouillon

Weak.

Tonight sucks but I want some playoffs.

Old
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
"feels a lil like 2012"
Get that rapper on the phone, we can't waste a another minute - there's music to be made.

I use the term "music" very liberally.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Dharvey33

6-4-1 yeah right we suck let's tank.

When we are below 500 by a fair margin we will talk about tanking.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
"feels a lil like 2012"
LOL, someone should make a song about it

Old
02-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
6-4-1 yeah right we suck let's tank.

When we are below 500 by a fair margin we will talk about tanking.
Dont worry, it will come, the way we are playing. The beginning of the season was a mirage. We are way to small.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
With a home heavy schedule and facing some of the worst teams in the league so far for the most part. Not too mention OTT without Spezza and Gonchar.

This is a team that may still make the playoffs, but it's far more because of how bad the East is than anything else.
The East just sucks this year. It's sucked for a while actually.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
You guys are pathetic...
BTW last year TANK brough the guy on your avatar btw...

Old
02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Dagistitsyn

Trade Cole and Gio, sure.. Why the **** do people still want to trade Pleks and Markov?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Undertakerqc

Thanking this year would make of team much better in the future. Short term suffering for long time pride and joy!

Old
02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Trade Cole and Gio, sure.. Why the **** do people still want to trade Pleks and Markov?
They will bring assets that will help us rebuild. They are both in their 30'S, they value will soon drop.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
rockjngo

Imagine PK Subban and Seth Jones back there? No prisoners.

Closed Thread