HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Comrie To NYI Proposal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2003, 04:19 AM
  #26
IslanderCountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
If

No brainer.
Or is it?....

I think we've all found out (the hard way) how important "chemistry" is to being a successfull team...
Statistically, and on paper it may seem like improvement...

* no money lost
* potential NHL'er for a proven NHL'er
* Guaranteed 30+ point scorer

But there are other things to look at:

* What kind of point scorer is he?
* Does his style of game fit our team?
* How will he fit into the lockerroom?
* How will the other players on this very fragile team handle this trade.

On paper, getting rid of one of our younger Defenseman for a proven NHL blueliner would seem like a good idea too. Someone not experienced, (Maybe Butenschon or Pettinen) somewhat of an unknown....but if we traded him for say, Andy Delmore (just an example) it could be disasterous. The last thing this team needs is another "offensive" defenseman that lacks defesive skills or responsibility in his own zone...

But Andy Delmore is a proven NHL'er.....?

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you are giving and what you are getting.
And the last thing this team needs is another ego trip player, that is going to have contract issues down the road. We are already log-jammed with 25-30 goal 2nd line players. We are a team of second liners...
I just think if we aren't going to go out and do something big, we might as well not do anything at all.

IslanderCountry is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 07:39 AM
  #27
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Too much for a 5'9 175lb smallish centre ,hed get destroyed in the east.
and for that price mentioned above? id think Jeff Oneill would be a better fit..hes 6'1 200lbs and can play Wing
perhaps o'neill is the better fit, BUT, carolina isn't offering him up for a prospect, a first rounder, and cash like the oilers are offering comrie.

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 07:44 AM
  #28
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
If Wang would foot the bill (doubtful), and if Comrie would be happy coming to Long Island (unknown) I'd do it in a heartbeat. You are giving up a future draft pick (whoop-de-doo ) and a guy who projects as (read: has the potential to be) a third-line forward (possibly 2nd) according to scouting reports...for a bonafide #1 center, one who is 23 and has already scored 30 goals in an NHL season.

No brainer.
i agree that this is a no brainer. i'm also convinced that my proposed deal is better than anaheim's. the first round pick will be higher and bergenheim will, at the very least, become an nhl player. perry, on the other hand, could completely wash out. at least lowe would know that bergenheim could fill an oiler uniform admirably.

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:21 AM
  #29
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
I heard a call in guy on Edmonton Radio last week (TEAM 1260) say that there was an offer from NYI to Kevin Lowe that included Robert Nilsson and a roster player for Comrie.(I caught part of it and didn't get his source so this could be much utter B.S. )

Slats432 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:38 AM
  #30
NYIsles1*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
All very interesting, bottom line I do not think the Islanders are going to
pay for a player or be involved in a trade where money changes hands nor should they be because in the end if Comrie has to pay Edmonton money it's coming from his new team one way or the other.

Jeff Oneill is interesting but makes a lot and part of the price of getting him will be giving up some of the young forwards, and for now he is not available.

Also, he's another right wing on an Islander roster packed with right wings.

NYIsles1* is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:56 AM
  #31
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I heard a call in guy on Edmonton Radio last week (TEAM 1260) say that there was an offer from NYI to Kevin Lowe that included Robert Nilsson and a roster player for Comrie.(I caught part of it and didn't get his source so this could be much utter B.S. )

No Comrie to Li rumors from the ny press except a small blurp in Newsday saying the isles had inquired.No names mentioned.

as for a radio rumor...anyone who listens to the wfan knows sports radio shows get a ton of rumors that are 'my dentist's,barber's,mechanic's lawyer said...

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:06 AM
  #32
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
All very interesting, bottom line I do not think the Islanders are going to
pay for a player or be involved in a trade where money changes hands nor should they be because in the end if Comrie has to pay Edmonton money it's coming from his new team one way or the other.
Kevin Lowe has stated that he only asked for money in the one specific deal with Anaheim.. there is no reason to believe that cash would have to be a part of a deal with the Islanders.

Cerebral is online now  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:17 AM
  #33
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
You like to argue eh?
anyways considering comrie isnt coming to the island its a moot argument either way.
i made my argument & stated my points

Though oneill can probably be had alot cheaper..

and would be a nice winger for Yashin to have.
I'm not sure about him being cheaper to aquire,but I'd also rather have O'Neil.

Maybe a Hamrlik/O'Neil trade?

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:37 AM
  #34
NYIsles1*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Kevin Lowe has stated that he only asked for money in the one specific deal with Anaheim.. there is no reason to believe that cash would have to be a part of a deal with the Islanders.
This is true, however now that it's out there that Lowe wants money there is a good chance that wherever he is traded will have to pay more because of this.

All it takes is Bettman saying no cash for Comrie to stop all of this.

NYIsles1* is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:39 AM
  #35
NYIsles1*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'm not sure about him being cheaper to aquire,but I'd also rather have O'Neil.

Maybe a Hamrlik/O'Neil trade?
Isles are almost at a point now where they have to trade two forwards if they are getting one back. How much longer can Papineau sit in the stands and what happens when Bergenheim returns?

They could be out of options on Mapletoft so they are right back where they were when he was in Bgpt and Bergenheim was here.

NYIsles1* is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 11:45 AM
  #36
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderCountry
Or is it?....
Point taken. I've watched Comrie a lot since he's come into the league. Am the last person to judge players on statistics (in fact it's a pet peeve of mine). Comrie is not to forwards what Delmore is to dmen.

Your point about "a fit" is well-taken too, however, there is no current fit with Bergenheim (who is a bit player at this point), a a future draft pick and NYI. And adding Comrie to NYI without touching the current roster is a supreme talent upgrade.

If it didn't work out over time (I believe it could), you can always move the asset (Comrie).

Trottier is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 12:11 PM
  #37
IslanderCountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Point taken. I've watched Comrie a lot since he's come into the league. Am the last person to judge players on statistics (in fact it's a pet peeve of mine). Comrie is not to forwards what Delmore is to dmen.

Your point about "a fit" is well-taken too, however, there is no current fit with Bergenheim (who is a bit player at this point), a a future draft pick and NYI. And adding Comrie to NYI without touching the current roster is a supreme talent upgrade.

If it didn't work out over time (I believe it could), you can always move the asset (Comrie).
those are some very good points.

I guess what it comes down to is how good will bergenheim be?
Something about the kid, I just really like. I don't know what it is. I can't get that goal he scored out of my head, the way he hopped over the defenseman's stick and moved the puck up, and then the clincher was him turning around while still standing in the crease and pumping his fists...It just sent chills man...

I know you can't grade talent on just one moment like that...but something about that goal, put him in my good graces. I'd hate to lose him.

but again, you make some good points, and if Comrie would work out to be a good addition for us, I guess it wouldn't hurt.
I suppose I'm kind of on the fence about this one.

IslanderCountry is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 12:36 PM
  #38
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderCountry
those are some very good points.
Your's or mine?

Tell your boss to lighten up and learn to enjoy Jacko.

Trottier is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 01:37 PM
  #39
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Isles are almost at a point now where they have to trade two forwards if they are getting one back. How much longer can Papineau sit in the stands and what happens when Bergenheim returns?

They could be out of options on Mapletoft so they are right back where they were when he was in Bgpt and Bergenheim was here.

Leave Bergenheim at home,saving the rest of his salary($750,000-$800,000).I think he'd be better served playing 20 mins a night back in different situations back home,then 5-8 mins a night on the nyi 4th line.


and I think the isles could still send Mapletoft and Weinhandl back to the ahl with risking losing them off waivers.Both are still on their first pro contract with less then 3 yrs played as a pro.

I'm still wondering why Papineau is taking up a roster spot.

CREW99AW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.