HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Saundies

vCash: 500
Like I tried to say last summer... He may be good, but he's not a #1 center in the NHL. He's a #2 (at best), and we already have the ideal second line center in Plekanec in our line-up and playing well. With our future #1 center (hopefully.. knock on wood) already in our line up as well in Galchenyuk, I just don't see where he fits in if it's not on the wing. And for that, he has to outplay Gallagher and Gionta in the top 6 smurf-wing category.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:30 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
again, we're back to the problems with lack of size. where do you play him? he'll need a big center or winger because he's not big enough, fast enough or strong enough to win any puck battles down low. Don't get me wrong - great stick and skill but cannot play a north south game. so what do you do? flip him and Eller on same line?
I'd flip him with Eller on the same line. Try that out for 6 or 7 games before Pacioretty comes back.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:40 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Also, when you play on road you don't get easy matchups correct? If you're a 1st line it is very hard to protect you. Now explain why Max's road production wasn't comparable to his Home production? However, DD made more points than max on the road. hmmmm. you know, those line match ups, that QCOM you talk about, this is it.
That entire line did less well on the road. It's a correlated variable.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Like I tried to say last summer... He may be good, but he's not a #1 center in the NHL. He's a #2 (at best), and we already have the ideal second line center in Plekanec in our line-up and playing well. With our future #1 center (hopefully.. knock on wood) already in our line up as well in Galchenyuk, I just don't see where he fits in if it's not on the wing. And for that, he has to outplay Gallagher and Gionta in the top 6 smurf-wing category.
I don't think DD needs to be in the top 6 to be useful. Skilled 3rd lines are the norm now. Boston's is Bourque-Kelly-Peverley. Buffalo's is Foligno-Grigorenko-Hecht. IMO a 3rd line including DD and Eller (when/if the rookies become bonafide top 6 material) would not be the worst thing. They are certainly cheap enough to justify being used in that role.

If the issue is too many forwards to be sheltered, well, what are you going to do? I'd say the odds of trading DD straight up for a skilled tough minute forward are very low. So the debate gets shelved until it's time to talk money in the offseason, or an exceptional circumstance like a rare quantity for quality trade becomes possible. Until then, I think we can all agree that DD is more of an asset in the lineup than, say, Leblanc. As much as last season was a best case scenario that is unlikely to repeat, DD is still an NHL'er. His skills didn't abandon him when he turned 26.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Kriss E

I really think DD would be better on the wings. It was easy for him Last year getting sheltered minutes platine with our two best wingers who happened to be power forwards with a lot of speed that create a ton of room.
Eller isn't a PF, they aren't getting the same sheltered minutes and opponents are paying more attention to him.
Being to the wing where there's less responsibilities will be better for him. Also, between him and Eller, he actually played well the few times used there, Eller just looks lost on the wing, it becomes all even more obvious the second he gets to play center even if its on the 4th line.
Eller is a center. Merging him to the wing just won't work. Time to give it a try with DD.
Eller will attract more opponents driving the puck, but he can protect it well and has nice hands, Cole needs to rush in like last year to also attract attention, and then DD can come in as a trailer and find his openings. Makes perfect sense to me. I really hope we try this.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I don't think DD needs to be in the top 6 to be useful. Skilled 3rd lines are the norm now. Boston's is Bourque-Kelly-Peverley. Buffalo's is Foligno-Grigorenko-Hecht. IMO a 3rd line including DD and Eller (when/if the rookies become bonafide top 6 material) would not be the worst thing. They are certainly cheap enough to justify being used in that role.

If the issue is too many forwards to be sheltered, well, what are you going to do? I'd say the odds of trading DD straight up for a skilled tough minute forward are very low. So the debate gets shelved until it's time to talk money in the offseason, or an exceptional circumstance like a rare quantity for quality trade becomes possible. Until then, I think we can all agree that DD is more of an asset in the lineup than, say, Leblanc. As much as last season was a best case scenario that is unlikely to repeat, DD is still an NHL'er. His skills didn't abandon him when he turned 26.
Kelly is solid defensively, good enough to be a shutdown C, wich DD will never be...

if anything, think it's time to put Eller back to C and see how it goes... at the very worst Eller doesnt do any better and he can take the time to think about his future and realise that if he's not going to be an offensive guy he could very well be a GREAT 3rd line C (he's already good at it, with more experience and focus on defensive play he could be really great)

Old
01-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Ginu

We've misused Eller. He should have taken the route of Jordan Staal and been given some PP1 time with our best guys. It's the only way he gains confidence and develops.

I'd like to see DD on the wing, but Eller and DD shouldn't be on the same line.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Kelly is solid defensively, good enough to be a shutdown C, wich DD will never be...

if anything, think it's time to put Eller back to C and see how it goes... at the very worst Eller doesnt do any better and he can take the time to think about his future and realise that if he's not going to be an offensive guy he could very well be a GREAT 3rd line C (he's already good at it, with more experience and focus on defensive play he could be really great)
Bingo. If Desharnais is a 3rd line player then he doesn't belong here cause he wouldn't be able to do the defensive side of the game.

Desharnais put up over 60 pts, if he can't produce at that pace no more then Plekanec and Galchenyuk are our guys, sorry David

Old
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Milhouse40

DD is now -3.....worst on the team (minus 2 yesterday....Sens scores 3 goal 5-on-5)
DD got 3 shots on goal in 6 games...worst on the team (Equal with Armstrong & Emelin)

The only players that don't have any 5-on-5 points are DD-Kaberle-Eller-Armstrong

DD come right after White and Prust for minor penalties
No wingers of his scored a single goal

his ice time dropped drastically.
Galchenyuk - DD played exactly 14m52s..he is loosing his ice-time
Glachenyuk played more than DD on the powerplay....he is loosing his PP Time.

With less and less ice time
With less and less powerplay

There's no way in hell, DD will ever scored a 60 points season ever again.
He is not a third line center, got not defensive quality whatsoever.

3 choices for the Habs:

1- Trade him NOW , cause his value will never get higher that it is right now, and it's dropping fast. (Sell High, Buy Low)

2- Trade him later, for absolutely nothing

3- Make another trade to help that line cause putting Eller or Moen on the wings will only get things worst.

But seriously....with Gionta, Gallagher and DD....Habs are getting small.
Time for one to go....and DD is first on the list.

In my mind, it's tradeblock time before it is too late....before he get a bigger contract. DD is still one of the smallest risk/rewards players available!!

Old
01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Last year he was soft on the boards, got pushed around easily and sucked defensively but it didn't matter as much because he was putting up points.. sadly, if he's not putting up points he's not very useful. I'd rather see Eller play centre since he's way better defensively and won't get pushed around like DD.

I'd prefer to see Desharnais tried on wing but if MT wants him centre I'd try Moen - Eller - Cole as a line.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
^^^

Might only be 6 games in but those are some pretty ugly stats for Desharnais. I'm holding out hope we gets it going because this team isn't exactly deep at the centre position.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:13 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Lars Eller aurait dû s'appeler Laurent Aller.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

as Pierre Mcguire once said about Huet...

Old
01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Jakomyte

I was thinking of just switching DD and Eller on the same line, but maybe some new faces would help as well:

DD-Plekanec-Cole
Bourque-Eller-Gionta

I'm not at all afraid of Plekanec/Gionta getting cold, they are warriors, and if Bourque and Cole continue to push like they have, this might give a chance for DD/Eller to get going.

I think its time to try something new as Eller-DD-Cole isn't really doing anything.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Roulin

"3rd line" does not equal "shutdown." As long as Plekanec can do what he does, we'll be a power on power team, like most in the league. I don't see how having a high event 3rd line in this situation is any worse than one that is low event, as long as they find a way to outscore whoever they are matched up against.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Kenny Powders

Trading Desharnais would cause a cluster**** eith the media and ignorant fans

Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I've been a firm believer that in order for Desharnais to have success in this league, he will need to be converted to the wing. Not many great small centers out there because they're too easy to move and neutralize in front of the net. On the wing, he'd have more time and space to set up.
This convert DD to wing thing. Please. Give it up. In two years, the following wingers have a chance to make this team:

Kristo: Fast as hell, skilled, spirited, decent size,and performing.
Collberg. Playing in the Swedish pros, and performing at 19. Or is it 18.
Hudon: Burning the Q, very good player.
Bozon: Burning the W, very good player.

2 of these guys have a good chance of cracking the top 6 in 2014-15.

Habs will have no room for DD at wing in two years, he is too small to play there, and he will be outperformed by youth at that position.

DD has to perform as a center this year, and score goals, or he is gone next year. I said this this summer. Forget the convert to wing thing.

And expanding on this topic: I have warned and *****ed about our centers for a year. In contending terms, Habs are terrible at center. Gally is 18 FFS, do you expect him to be our number one C next year?

Habs have:

Pleks: Fantastic no. 2 C, and very good no. 1 C. Ageing, and on the small side. 82 games is a long season for Pleks. He has 3 good no 2 C years left.

Gally: 2-3 years from being a great no. 1 C.

DD: Not happening. Expected. Perform, as a center, now, with any wingers.

Eller: Not happening. At least right now. Forget DD, there should be a thread on this. I am really really disappointed at this right now. Eller has to be the most neg thing in what is a really fun start to Habs this year.

If I was Bergy and Therry, I would be very worried about Eller. We could be ****ed if he fails. He was the one guy I was watching this year, absolutely key that he develops.

Not happening so far, but we are 6 games in. If he is playing like this in 15 games, we have a bad bad problem on our hands.

Because of Eller, at least right now, Habs are in serious trouble at C. DD was fun, but he is just too small. I never considered him to be in our Cup window.

But I am really worried about Eller. I thought he was an important piece next year and in the cup window, as a third line C.

It's early. But Eller needs to perform this year. If not, it's over. And that is a huge loss to the Habs.

Given Eller's failure so far I think it is inevitable that we try to go UFA or trade for a good big C to play 3rd line next year. Which is ****, as this is almost impossible to do. Hence my disappointment with Eller.

DD? He has 42 games left to prove he is a top 3 Center on a contender, with third line wingers.

Habs cannot afford to be this **** at center starting next year. No one gets carried. Our contending window opens, and we need 3 good centers, no ****ing about.

Maybe now guys here are starting to realize why I was screaming for Carter last year.

Last edited by bsl: 01-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
it would at least distract them from inventing issues with Subban and his teammates....and would be interesting to watch.

But what if DD were traded for another francophone? then what? The talking heads on TVA and Antichambre will not be able to villify the francophone GM and then their heads explode from too much francophonie

Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I could see him getting traded at some point, but it is pointess until Galchenyuk is ready to play top 6 minutes(18-20) full time. I think DD still has at least 2 years left here.

People overlook a 60 point season over 82 games becuse of 6 struggling games...gotta love panicking posters.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I could see him getting traded at some point, but it is pointess until Galchenyuk is ready to play top 6 minutes(18-20) full time. I think DD still has at least 2 years left here.

People overlook a 60 point season over 82 games becuse of 6 struggling games...gotta love panicking posters.
we arent talking about a 19 years old with tons of upside here...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Move DD to the wing and Eller at center.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Prust

Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I was thinking of just switching DD and Eller on the same line, but maybe some new faces would help as well:

DD-Plekanec-Cole
Bourque-Eller-Gionta

I'm not at all afraid of Plekanec/Gionta getting cold, they are warriors, and if Bourque and Cole continue to push like they have, this might give a chance for DD/Eller to get going.

I think its time to try something new as Eller-DD-Cole isn't really doing anything.

Last year....remember the Moen - Eller - Kostsitsn line? Worked really well......how about Moen - Eller - Cole?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Mathias Brunet ‏@mathiasbrunet
David Desharnais n'est plus que l'ombre de lui-même. Le synchronisme n'y est pas, la forme physique ne semble pas y être non plus. Étonnant.

French media starting to doubt.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Mathias Brunet ‏@mathiasbrunet
David Desharnais n'est plus que l'ombre de lui-même. Le synchronisme n'y est pas, la forme physique ne semble pas y être non plus. Étonnant.

French media starting to doubt.
I don't think anyone can defend his play so far, regardless of what language you speak.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
So what? What does this have to do with the Montreal Canadiens?

Closed Thread