HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.
Never been the case in all the Nords years, is it WHA or NHL.

I believe it would be nice but not mandatory at all. I'd take Tippett and co anytime.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post

I believe it would be nice but not mandatory at all. I'd take Tippett and co anytime.
The question is are Tippett and Mahoney willing to come to Quebec. Because if you guys think Montreal is nuts about hockey, you haven't seen what Quebec is like with a NHL team in town.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
The question is are Tippett and Mahoney willing to come to Quebec. Because if you guys think Montreal is nuts about hockey, you haven't seen what Quebec is like with a NHL team in town.
That question launches that speculation around you know who. Despite all his declarations, "he" wants to coach NHL and maybe in Qc city.

I don't like him, but he won everywhere he went.

One step at a time... Need a team first ;-)

Old
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
There are only 30 NHL gigs for GM and coach in the league. I don't see why not. They actually may be poached by teams that want to throw money at them, in the hopes that they don't go to QC. Maloney is easily top 3, if you look at the chronology thread on our forums and consider the conditions he has had to work under. He took our prospect pool from embarrassing to respectable in a very short period, even after the franchise whiffed on 3 top 10 picks.

Tippett is one of the winningest coaches in the league since the last lockout, IIRC. Doesn't get much better.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:57 AM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
On another topic, if there are last minute renovations to be done to the Colisee, Remparts are making sure they don't make playoffs this year thus the season could end as early as March.
Problem is, so is Shawinigan, and my Cape Breton Eagles are...ickkkk...ALL kinds of awful.

The Remparts will make the playoffs, but how long they survive after that, you'd know better.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.
I know hat at some point PKP will want a francophone coach and GM, which would really make it easyer for his media marketing plan, but he is a sensible man, and i hope he would keep the management team in place for a while at least. He could ask both Maloney and Tippett to learn french during the offseason. A little french immersion for a couple month.

BTW XX i feel bad for you man, you are a true hockey fan, a classy guy as well. The ordeal you are going thrue is horrible.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:

I know I have heard people talk about the Nords as not being like the Habs. Obviously french is important, but I have heard the Nords never had the kind of xenophobic (probably too strong a word) approach to non-french employees that the Habs have.

The Nordiques are like Inter-Milan, while the Habs are more like AC Milan. That is my understanding.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I know I have heard people talk about the Nords as not being like the Habs. Obviously french is important, but I have heard the Nords never had the kind of xenophobic (probably too strong a word) approach to non-french employees that the Habs have.

The Nordiques are like Inter-Milan, while the Habs are more like AC Milan. That is my understanding.
The natives can correct me as needed, but I always felt like the language issue was one for Montreal and the southwestern corner of the province, mostly because of the anglophone bleed into those areas. Having been east on the A-20 all the way up to Riviere-du-Loup, French is very secure once you get into the Eastern Townships, so there's no concern about English and anglophone society doing a number on the Quebecois ways because it just isn't going to happen. English isn't going to take hold, and in fact, French dominates the Trans-Canada corridor all the way into New Brunswick, with towns in Maine on the border having predominantly francophone populations. If Quebec City had the same insecurities about English that Montreal did, it'd be like Paris worrying about being too German.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:

Xenophobic is simply not appropriate.

Its more a matter of respect to hockey fans and a tradition, speaking of the Habs.

Montreal context is different then the rest of the province. In many places downtown, you cannot be served in french now, believe it or not.

You would'nt put a spanish speaking coach for the Yankees.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
The natives can correct me as needed, but I always felt like the language issue was one for Montreal and the southwestern corner of the province, mostly because of the anglophone bleed into those areas. Having been east on the A-20 all the way up to Riviere-du-Loup, French is very secure once you get into the Eastern Townships, so there's no concern about English and anglophone society doing a number on the Quebecois ways because it just isn't going to happen. English isn't going to take hold, and in fact, French dominates the Trans-Canada corridor all the way into New Brunswick, with towns in Maine on the border having predominantly francophone populations. If Quebec City had the same insecurities about English that Montreal did, it'd be like Paris worrying about being too German.
Nicely put and your comment is bang on. The french in Montreal are more insecure, with cause since the city and the suburb are anglicizing, there are also the most separatist. Quebec City is very federalist. the 1995 referendum did not pass because of Quebec city lack of support for it.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
Thats almost 100% correct.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
~65% of the city does not speak English. And many that claim they do would know little more than basic English.

It would be nearly as hard not knowing French in Quebec as not knowing English in Phoenix.
Not at all. Players would likely live in rich suburbs or in "Le Vieux-Québec" and I can guarantee that they wouldn't have any language problem in those parts. Sure, if they come to St-Sauveur (which they won't), they won't be able to speak in English, but you can get by easily by speaking English in Quebec City, it is a very touristic town.

Quote:

We loved Joe Sakic and Peter Statsny. We loved Dale Hunter and Peter Forsberg. Sure, we also loved Michel Goulet and our dear coach Bergie, but I don't think we have any problems with non-French players/personel. Sure, the new Nords will need to have a French touch, but people won't care as much as you some might think. There are no Bertrand Raymond and Réjean Tremblay in Quebec City.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Xenophobic is simply not appropriate.

Its more a matter of respect to hockey fans and a tradition, speaking of the Habs.

Montreal context is different then the rest of the province. In many places downtown, you cannot be served in french now, believe it or not.

You would'nt put a spanish speaking coach for the Yankees.
Do you know this first hand? The last time I was in Montreal I don't recall being served in English once unless I asked for it.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Not at all. Players would likely live in rich suburbs or in "Le Vieux-Québec" and I can guarantee that they wouldn't have any language problem in those parts. Sure, if they come to St-Sauveur (which they won't), they won't be able to speak in English, but you can get by easily by speaking English in Quebec City, it is a very touristic town.

We loved Joe Sakic and Peter Statsny. We loved Dale Hunter and Peter Forsberg. Sure, we also loved Michel Goulet and our dear coach Bergie, but I don't think we have any problems with non-French players/personel. Sure, the new Nords will need to have a French touch, but people won't care as much as you some might think. There are no Bertrand Raymond and Réjean Tremblay in Quebec City.
If you've ever read the Michael Farber piece about playing in Quebec it's clear some of the problems of 20 years ago wouldn't exist today.

many more people in Quebec City speak English to a reasonable standard. There's satellite TV and satellite radio and the Internet, so getting news and being entertained isn't quite the struggle it used to be.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Do you know this first hand? The last time I was in Montreal I don't recall being served in English once unless I asked for it.
You cannot have a better witness.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
That question launches that speculation around you know who. Despite all his declarations, "he" wants to coach NHL and maybe in Qc city.

I suspect "he" has been holding out for a Quebec franchise for his first NHL coaching job.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:

I cant wait to see him lead the new Nordiques!

Erhm... I mean:

Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 PM
thom

Regean Tremblay is the top man for Tva Sports and a close friend of Pierre Karl Paldeau.Once Quebec gets a team Regean Tremblay will be on tva sports every day.Trenblay is as big in Quebec City as he is in Montreal.Tremblay is a producer of many tv shows along with being a hockey reporter.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Roy is a hack, I don't want to see him anywhere our team... if we ever get one.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
JB52

I don’t know why you’re discussing which coach we should have if the Nordiques are back, based on what I heard on RDS, Seattle, Markham, Hamilton, Kansas City, Hartford and Helsinki will have a team before us. We might have an expansion team, but for the dodge ball league.

Though, I've heard that Patrick Roy will never work for Quebecor as he own the Rampart with Power Corporation and that in sports Réjean Tremblay doesn’t care for the result but the story behind the athlete.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
thom

You do no that rds is owned by Bell a arch rival of Paledeau's Quebecor chain which includes videotron and sun media

Old
01-31-2013, 03:29 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I don’t know why you’re discussing which coach we should have if the Nordiques are back, based on what I heard on RDS, Seattle, Markham, Hamilton, Kansas City, Hartford and Helsinki will have a team before us. We might have an expansion team, but for the dodge ball league.

Though, I've heard that Patrick Roy will never work for Quebecor as he own the Rampart with Power Corporation and that in sports Réjean Tremblay doesn’t care for the result but the story behind the athlete.
You forgot to mention Rio, Mexico and Santo Domingo.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
JB52

Well, I thought that 20% of RDS was owned by Disney, which was explaining why there's so many clown on air.

OT: What are you listening to, folks, since CHRC has closed? I made the switch to L'esprit d'équipe at TVA Sports but they canceled the show before chrismas. Now I watch Bob McCown and the same top 5 plays, every hour, all week long. Gee, CHOI, hire François Paquet and give him the 5 to 7 spot.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
based on what I heard on RDS, Seattle, Markham, Hamilton, Kansas City, Hartford and Helsinki will have a team before us. We might have an expansion team, but for the dodge ball league.
Horse feces. You've obviously heard wrong. Seattle MIGHT get a relocation before Quebec but that's about it. Quebec will see a team long before those other cities. Hartford, in all likelihood, will NEVER see another NHL team.....or any major league sports franchise for that matter.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Stanley Cup
Global Meowderator

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Horse feces. You've obviously heard wrong. Seattle MIGHT get a relocation before Quebec but that's about it. Quebec will see a team long before those other cities. Hartford, in all likelihood, will NEVER see another NHL team.....or any major league sports franchise for that matter.
He's kidding, RDS looks anti-Quebec most of the time - especially Renaud Lavoie.

Closed Thread