Notices

Bruins Board 2013 NHL Draft Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 08:48 AM
reffree

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Nice player, not 100% sure but he wasn`t initially to be included in last night`s game until an injury occured. I have had the opportunity to watch him play with Chicoutimi when he visits and the kid has nice talent. Even more impressive is he`s tough, not in the fisticuff sense tough, but he`ll go to any dirty area for the betterment of the team and he took a real nice hit from Ryan Hartman, got right back up etc....

Hartman`s game will be remembered for the big hits, reminds me a bit of Phaneuf in that he`ll go out of his way to make that crowd pleasing hit which opens up opportunities for opponents but the kid has skill.

This was my first chance to watch Malcolm Subban, no clue what Mom and Pop Subban put in their kids water but man, had no idea this Subban had that skill. Didn`t necessarily translate onto the score sheet but....

I love this game for the intensity, the problem often with this game is some will put far too much stock in a kid`s one game performance, and others will say "his stock dropped" by a game in which he didn`t dominate or make a huge impression.
I'm studying in Chicoutimi, I saw him alot, and really want the B's to draft him. I was in class last night, I saw the boxscore but wanted to know if he was at the right place at the right time or if he was really noticeable. He has some really good skills and a non-stop motor, really good at driving to the net with the puck. Glad he had a good game. Thanks

reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
I'm studying in Chicoutimi, I saw him alot, and really want the B's to draft him. I was in class last night, I saw the boxscore but wanted to know if he was at the right place at the right time or if he was really noticeable. He has some really good skills and a non-stop motor, really good at driving to the net with the puck. Glad he had a good game. Thanks
Both, he was noticeable but it was due to the fact that he puts himself in those spots, very keen sense of what to do without the puck.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
It's an opportunity to see some of the top players go head to head, but no, this isn't make or break it for these guys. It's the total package, from the beginning of the season to the end.

I'd like to think it's over a couple of season's (going back to their pre-draft season) but if that was the case, someone would have drafted Even McEneny last year despite playing only two games Sorry, had to put that in there.

Did anyone help/hurt their stock IMO? Well I'll only speak about the players I know. (in order)

Chris Bigras (pronounced Bee-Graw BTW) really helped his cause. Great game and as you know, been pretty high on him. I think he made the strongest case for himself more than anyone else.

Spencer Martin - Thought he was good when he had to be. You can see he's great in positioning, anticipation - reading plays etc. Rumor has it he's been playing on a sore knee for the last month which is why his stats were down, but he looked in fine form last night.

Bo Horvat - Can see why the kid is on the rise... excellent game and he's basically a third liner in London

Nurse and Subban - what you saw in those two paired together is what you get every night. The fact that they did it on that stage bodes well for both of them - although Subban will have the size issue follow him no matter what he does.
I did, I did!

Bigras looked the best to me, but again, take that from where it comes. I really liked that Morin kid from the "Q" too, but he got turned inside out at one point.

I think Horvat might go top 10. Big , burly center .. dude is a load. Top notch skills were on display too.. I like him with Josh Anderson in the Memorial Cup, but he looks way more imposing on the ice this year...again, take it from where it comes.

Love Nurse, he will be long gone if we have the season we should...but Subban is very intriguing...the announcer said that he had PJ's personality over Malcolms, so not sure if that will turn the Bruins off, but he was very fluid..very quick and moved the puck immediately when under pressure... You told me about him the begining of last year..I can see why you liked him.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I did, I did!

Bigras looked the best to me, but again, take that from where it comes. I really liked that Morin kid from the "Q" too, but he got turned inside out at one point.

I think Horvat might go top 10. Big , burly center .. dude is a load. Top notch skills were on display too.. I like him with Josh Anderson in the Memorial Cup, but he looks way more imposing on the ice this year...again, take it from where it comes.

Love Nurse, he will be long gone if we have the season we should...but Subban is very intriguing...the announcer said that he had PJ's personality over Malcolms, so not sure if that will turn the Bruins off, but he was very fluid..very quick and moved the puck immediately when under pressure... You told me about him the begining of last year..I can see why you liked him.

How was Jordan's shot? PK has a bullet.

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
How was Jordan's shot? PK has a bullet.
Honestly I don't recall him shooting...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Honestly I don't recall him shooting...
Has a really good shot. Let it go once I can remember last night but just missed the net. It's not on PK's level but its good.

I disagree with the announcer. He's more Malcolm than PK. I know when I did my first rankings back in September, he sent me a really nice email through the editor correcting his size. Basically told him that until the team updates their site that's what i had to go by.

Still think he's the best of the three. How it translates to the NHL is a different story, but in Junior, I think he'll have the better career.

If you haven't seen this video on the family (two parts) I highly recommend them

and for an added bonus, Jordan from Midget and Junior

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Shaun
beauty

Can anyone give any insight on Shea Theodore? Defensemen named Shea from the Dub are usually bad mother****ers.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL draft will be June 30th. All 7 rounds.
so no 1st round the night before?

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
bruinsfan46

McKenzie released his midterm rankings (which aren't actually his, he just compiles how ten NHL scouts ranks them): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

Look at 21-30:
21. Micro Mueller
22. Zachary Fucale
23. Kerby Rychel
24. Jason Dickinson
25. Curtis Lazar
26. Jacob De La Rose
27. Valentin Zykov
28. Ryan Hartman
29. Robert Hagg
30. J.T. Compher

Guys like Lazar, De La Rose and Hartman that late. What a deep draft.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
McKenzie released his midterm rankings (which aren't actually his, he just compiles how ten NHL scouts ranks them): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

Look at 21-30:
21. Micro Mueller
22. Zachary Fucale
23. Kerby Rychel
24. Jason Dickinson
25. Curtis Lazar
26. Jacob De La Rose
27. Valentin Zykov
28. Ryan Hartman
29. Robert Hagg
30. J.T. Compher

I was quite impressed with Robert Häggs play in the WJC. Looks like a really interesting prospect for the blue line, and to me seems like a good pickup in the late first round.

Dr Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post

Look at 21-30:
21. Micro Mueller
22. Zachary Fucale
23. Kerby Rychel
24. Jason Dickinson
25. Curtis Lazar
26. Jacob De La Rose
27. Valentin Zykov
28. Ryan Hartman
29. Robert Hagg
30. J.T. Compher

Does anyone know more about De La Rose? I like his size and he's putting up pretty good numbers in the SEL for a 17 year old but what's his skating like? Is he a physical player?

What about Lazar? How's his skating and toughness?

Out of the guys listed above that I've seen play, Hartman is the guy I want the most. Just love his tenacity and fearlessness. Good offensive skills too. I think he could be a Chris Kelly level player but much feistier and a little better offensively.

I like Rychel too but in a couple of the Windsor games I've watched, I barely noticed him. He was pretty much the best player on the ice in a couple other games though. Consistency could be an issue.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Does anyone know more about De La Rose? I like his size and he's putting up pretty good numbers in the SEL for a 17 year old but what's his skating like? Is he a physical player?
Good player, although he doesn't actually play in the SEL, rather in one of the top teams in the league below.

I see him as a well rounded winger. Skates well, defensively responsible, good size, offensively skilled. The only problem is that I haven't seen one area that he's really top of the class in. He is that crazy skilled dangler nor that scorer with a monster shot. And he is not that guy that will just run around hitting everything in site. But there is definite talent there, and he should be a very solid player.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
I hope Hartman is there when the Bruins pick at 30. The guy seems like Mike Richards to me.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:55 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Seldon View Post
Good player, although he doesn't actually play in the SEL, rather in one of the top teams in the league below.

I see him as a well rounded winger. Skates well, defensively responsible, good size, offensively skilled. The only problem is that I haven't seen one area that he's really top of the class in. He is that crazy skilled dangler nor that scorer with a monster shot. And he is not that guy that will just run around hitting everything in site. But there is definite talent there, and he should be a very solid player.
Interesting, thanks.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
bobber

Kitchener Ranger fan fairly new to the board although have read it for years. Bruin fan for 50 years. Watch Subban in midget tourney here and also at the Aud. Impressed at his abilities. He is of the same mold as PK and is offensively gifted. His down side is his size. 5'9" 170 pounds. Small for D. Not sure what the Bruin's priorities are on the back end but I could see him having a problem controlling the big pro forwards. Rychel and Bo Horvat on the other hand are real decent forwards with size. around the six foot mark and 200 pounds. We have a kid here on the Rangers that I believe will rise in the draft. Justin Bailey. An American boy from the Buffalo area. 6'3" and should fill out at 200 easy. Has really picked up his game lately and is not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Good speed also. His dad went to three Super Bowls with Buffalo but we won't hold that against him.

Last edited by bobber: 02-04-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: adding D man remark.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Kitchener Ranger fan fairly new to the board although have read it for years. Bruin fan for 50 years. Watch Subban in midget tourney here and also at the Aud. Impressed at his abilities. He is of the same mold as PK and is offensively gifted. His down side is his size. 5'9" 170 pounds. Small for D. Not sure what the Bruin's priorities are on the back end but I could see him having a problem controlling the big pro forwards. Rychel and Bo Horvat on the other hand are real decent forwards with size. around the six foot mark and 200 pounds. We have a kid here on the Rangers that I believe will rise in the draft. Justin Bailey. An American boy from the Buffalo area. 6'3" and should fill out at 200 easy. Has really picked up his game lately and is not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Good speed also. His dad went to three Super Bowls with Buffalo but we won't hold that against him.
Bailey's gotta be moving up rankings with his production lately. Great physical tools and for someone considered so raw he has very impressive hands and such from what I've seen.

Button released his new top 75 list: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Very similar in the late first round range to McKenzie's list. Rychel, Lazar, Dickinson and Hartman in that mid to late 20s range.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 02-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Why can't we ever draft a swedish player? i'd kill for a swedish player in the bruins :<

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedba View Post
Why can't we ever draft a swedish player? i'd kill for a swedish player in the bruins :<
they wanted Backstrom in the 06 draft.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
they wanted Backstrom in the 06 draft.

oh **** haven't seen that before ahh **** mcphee... hope we pick some swede this year :p

Old
02-04-2013, 07:00 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:

Yup, saw De La Rose against my towns team and he impressed me a lot actually. too bad he didn't have a greater time at WJC but i definitely see potential. needs to bulk up some though

Old
02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
I think the 2000 first round of Lars Jonsson and Martin Samuelsson may have given a less than positive experience of swedish prospects.

At least there is Svedberg in the AHL to hope for. And of course the mythical Söderberg.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:56 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
I think the 2000 first round of Lars Jonsson and Martin Samuelsson may have given a less than positive experience of swedish prospects.

At least there is Svedberg in the AHL to hope for. And of course the mythical Söderberg.
Haha true, not the best picks :p hope we'll see one this year, doubt it though.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:56 AM
weaponomega

Quote:
The Bruins management and scouting staff doesn't seem too keen on drafting any players out of Europe. They've only drafted Lars Volden and Maxim Chudinov out of Europe in the last 5 drafts.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

I would love to see Barkov as ours though... Size and everything is there, production as well, just hope he can carry that over to small rinks.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
The Bruins management and scouting staff doesn't seem too keen on drafting any players out of Europe. They've only drafted Lars Volden and Maxim Chudinov out of Europe in the last 5 drafts.
Yeah, I understand that though, with Canadians and Americans being used to small rinks and the different type of play there. But there's a butt load of talent in Europe that they should take more serious