HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

McDonald to have hearing for hit on Lovejoy (2 GM Suspension)

Old
01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
i thought there'd be a 1 game suspension. 2 games is a bit much.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
So what are we thinking 2 games for McDonald? 1 for the hit, 1 for being an Islander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i thought there'd be a 1 game suspension. 2 games is a bit much.

Look above. He got the Isles suspension special.

01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Look above. He got the Isles suspension special.
I wonder what would happen if Pronger came back as an Islander and took one of the Sedins out? Shanahan might have a heart attack from the dilemma it would cause.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Tavaresfan91

Well deserved nasty and stupid hot by McDonald

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Strummergas

I finally saw Brown's hit on Kaleta and it was as bad as the hit McDonald laid on Lovejoy AND Kaleta was injured on the play, yet Brown is not scheduled to go before the Shanahan committee. WHAT A BUNCH OF ********!!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I finally saw Brown's hit on Kaleta and it was as bad as the hit McDonald laid on Lovejoy AND Kaleta was injured on the play, yet Brown is not scheduled to go before the Shanahan committee. WHAT A BUNCH OF ********!!
I just watched a completely disagree for two big reasons.

1. You can see Kaleta glance over his shoulder and see Brown coming. He purposely turns to shield the puck and puts himself in a terrible position. This has been happening a lot, players turn to face the boards to protect the puck and sure they are going to get creamed. He was a dumbass for doing that.

2. Secondly, Kaleta was virtually stationary. He had no momentum at all. This hit wasn't egregious in anyway.

The problem with the McDonald hit is that he forced the player into the boards while his momentum was headed in that direction and blindsided him because the player had his head down and was trying to take the puck behind the net. McDonald also used his arm to assist driving the player into the boards. The two hits were completely different. Watch it again...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:01 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
The NHL is not out to get the Islanders. Whenever this type of thing happens-go to the other team's boards and you'll see they all think the same thing.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I just watched a completely disagree for two big reasons.

1. You can see Kaleta glance over his shoulder and see Brown coming. He purposely turns to shield the puck and puts himself in a terrible position. This has been happening a lot, players turn to face the boards to protect the puck and sure they are going to get creamed. He was a dumbass for doing that.

2. Secondly, Kaleta was virtually stationary. He had no momentum at all. This hit wasn't egregious in anyway.

The problem with the McDonald hit is that he forced the player into the boards while his momentum was headed in that direction and blindsided him because the player had his head down and was trying to take the puck behind the net. McDonald also used his arm to assist driving the player into the boards. The two hits were completely different. Watch it again...
1. That may be the case that Kaleta turned at the last moment, as he's been know to do this to draw a penalty, but it's not a stretch to say that Brown was gunning for him anyway based on what happened the last time these two teams met. Whether Kaleta turned or not, Brown was taking him out no matter what. There was malice involved and that needs to come under consideration.

2. Kaleta may also have been stationary, but Brown checked him from behind, causing his head to go into the boards as he was not standing flush up against them. Kaleta was taken to the hospital to have his neck looked at from the hit.

So what we seem to have is a premeditated incident that results in a player being injured NOT going before the league because the call on the ice did not cause the play to be automatically reviewed. Shouldn't the disciplinary committee be looking at ALL these types of plays and not just the ones that are thrust in front of them due to the calls on the ice?

The league wants to crack down on this stuff and suspend McDonald for 2 games? Fine, but be consistent about it for ****'s sake. THAT'S my real complaint here. Different set of rules for different teams/players.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The NHL is not out to get the Islanders. Whenever this type of thing happens-go to the other team's boards and you'll see they all think the same thing.
Not sure if this comment is directed at me, but I never stated that they were. What the the league is, however, is inconsistent with it's rulings. This is not strictly anti-Islanders bias, but there does seem to be a different set of rules for different teams/players.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
steveat

They prolly donut want another Richard case on their hand. Top players get lesser sentences like rich peeps 8-)

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran journeyman

Right when the hit happened, I figured it would be a suspension. That's a textbook example of what the league is cracking down on, and Shanny's explanation pretty much sums it up. Are there other missed calls around the league? Sure, but when they get it right, they get it right. The easy way to avoid this is to...not run someone from behind into the boards all the way from the faceoff circle. The only person to blame is McDonald. He had a pretty nasty boarding suspension in the AHL earlier this season too...guy got taken out on a stretcher. McDonald's generally a smart player that sets a good example with hard work and an honest game. But he can't do things like that...it was pretty blatant.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Not sure if this comment is directed at me, but I never stated that they were. What the the league is, however, is inconsistent with it's rulings. This is not strictly anti-Islanders bias, but there does seem to be a different set of rules for different teams/players.
It wasn't directed at anybody, just the Isles fans on HF in general. I agree they are inconsistent. But I think it's more towards star players (or really non-star players)-and not the actual teams.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Right when the hit happened, I figured it would be a suspension. That's a textbook example of what the league is cracking down on, and Shanny's explanation pretty much sums it up. Are there other missed calls around the league? Sure, but when they get it right, they get it right. The easy way to avoid this is to...not run someone from behind into the boards all the way from the faceoff circle. The only person to blame is McDonald. He had a pretty nasty boarding suspension in the AHL earlier this season too...guy got taken out on a stretcher. McDonald's generally a smart player that sets a good example with hard work and an honest game. But he can't do things like that...it was pretty blatant.
See, I was not aware of this prior to the incident. So, I humbly rescind my "no prior record" argument as to why he shouldn't have been suspended. I now think 2 games is fair for the hit.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Any word on whether or not he called the boards to apologize for hitting them with Lovejoy?

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote