HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
RattleYourSabre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post

IMO, Don't judge how a player is looking at stats only, and don't be high or low on a player when comparing to another player especially if in another league level altogether.
Which is why I asked the question and prefaced it with: "I haven't seen him play".

But although stats aren't the end all be all, they always help to tell a story within context. I'm a football fanatic. I know statistics don't tell the entire story. They can't. Support systems come into play as well... And that's not to mention context within the statistics.

But still, IF he has taken 170 shots (Which I very much doubt) that production isn't very good.

I'm glad to hear, though, that you've seen him play a bit and think he's solid. That makes me feel quite a bit better.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Which is why I asked the question and prefaced it with: "I haven't seen him play".

But although stats aren't the end all be all, they always help to tell a story within context. I'm a football fanatic. I know statistics don't tell the entire story. They can't. Support systems come into play as well... And that's not to mention context within the statistics.

But still, IF he has taken 170 shots (Which I very much doubt) that production isn't very good.

I'm glad to hear, though, that you've seen him play a bit and think he's solid. That makes me feel quite a bit better.
I agree. Stats do tell a story.

In the league Armia plays in they measure total shots taken (they can go wide or over the net and be counted). In the AHL and NHL they measure shots on goal (a shot that will enter the goal if not stopped by the goaltender).

Old
01-31-2013, 08:52 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I agree. Stats do tell a story.

In the league Armia plays in they measure total shots taken (they can go wide or over the net and be counted). In the AHL and NHL they measure shots on goal (a shot that will enter the goal if not stopped by the goaltender).
Phenomenal insight. That actually helps out quite a bit. I'm guessing that's what the asterisk is for.

That actually makes his production at least a bit better. That coupled with the previous poster's comments on his skill makes me feel better about him as a prospect. Can't judge a book by its cover

Thanks!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Makarov and Ullmark are looking good in their respective leagues this year. Does anyone think either if these guys can be a future NHL starter? In particular, can one of them be the heir apparent to Ryan? I find it really hard to assess young goalies.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Makarov and Ullmark are looking good in their respective leagues this year. Does anyone think either if these guys can be a future NHL starter? In particular, can one of them be the heir apparent to Ryan? I find it really hard to assess young goalies.
Don't really think you can ever look at it like that, especially at the juniors level. Best you can do is analyze whether or not they seem to be NHL-calibre, and then it comes down to how elite their focus and attention to detail can be, which is probably the most typical difference between a starter and a career back-up. Even when goalies get a few seasons in the AHL it's rare to see a guy and think he's definitely going to make it as a starter.

The important thing to me is that the Sabres added two viable (if not fantastic) goaltending prospects for a very low combined cost. They'd do well to add another if not this draft then next, because that's just how it works.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Don't really think you can ever look at it like that, especially at the juniors level. Best you can do is analyze whether or not they seem to be NHL-calibre, and then it comes down to how elite their focus and attention to detail can be, which is probably the most typical difference between a starter and a career back-up. Even when goalies get a few seasons in the AHL it's rare to see a guy and think he's definitely going to make it as a starter.

The important thing to me is that the Sabres added two viable (if not fantastic) goaltending prospects for a very low combined cost. They'd do well to add another if not this draft then next, because that's just how it works.
I like taking a flyer on 1 goalie every year--be it an early or late round. Just keep bodies coming through the pipeline and something will pan out.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I like taking a flyer on 1 goalie every year--be it an early or late round. Just keep bodies coming through the pipeline and something will pan out.
With hockey, I think a good general rule is:

Draft one guy for every position that is on the ice every year... (example: 3 forward, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie)

Now, because people fall out of the system/develop differently, you might have a year where you're loaded with forwards who are developing nicely, but you're way down on defensemen... Obviously you'd change course a little in that instance.

Then again, in football I love a BPA strategy. But my formula for determining BPA combines a few factors:

1) Determine a total grade on a prospect, it doesn't matter what position they play.

2) Assign an arbitrary value to each position on your team in order of need
-IE: 4 = Highest Need, 1 = Lowest
4- D
3-W
2- C
1 -G

*PLEASE NOTE: These values don't mean anything that I assigned above. The real formula would likely be much more complicated. Just using these to show what I mean.*

3) Use this value, whatever it is, to add to each prospects value on your draft board. What that should do is increase position of need prospects WITHOUT overvaluing them and undervaluing a top flight prospect (even if that top flight prospect is at your most loaded position)

4) Draft the best player available according to this formula.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Makarov had another Shutout last night. 6th of the year. His numbers have been quite good lately.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:17 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Makarov had another Shutout last night. 6th of the year. His numbers have been quite good lately.
Great pickup by the sabres. Can't believe nobody drafted this kid, I've always been impressed with his game in the tournaments I've watched.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

McCabe injured as Wisconsin loses 4-1 to North Dakota:
Quote:
Andy Johnson ‏@AndyJohnsonB5Q
Jake McCabe has to be carried off the ice. I didn't see how he got hurt, but it looks like a leg or a knee. Looked to be in serious pain.

Link: https://twitter.com/AndyJohnsonB5Q/s...03685533589504
Quote:
Sounds like McCabe was checked over the top of Barnes & got his leg caught in the process. He was cringing as he was helped off the ice.

Link: https://twitter.com/AndyJohnsonB5Q/s...04773972234241
FYI there hasn't been a post-game update yet, so no word on any medical evaluations and/or seriousness.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

McCabe's injury is an ankle:
Quote:
Eaves told us after the game that Jake McCabe's injury was an ankle. Not sure on the level of severity at this time, but it looked painful.

Link: https://twitter.com/AndyJohnsonB5Q/s...16737343606784

Old
02-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
McCabe's injury is an ankle:
Better ankle than knee. Knee injuries can really ruin a prospect (see Schiestel).

Old
02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

A bit exited to see armia next year

Old
02-05-2013, 10:50 PM
McTank

Safe to say after USA won gold McCabe will return as captain again next year? Pretty excited for this kid, hope he gets better soon!

Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Safe to say after USA won gold McCabe will return as captain again next year? Pretty excited for this kid, hope he gets better soon!
This was his last year of eligibility.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
This was his last year of eligibility.
Really? How was cat eligible when he was drafted a year before McCabe

Old
02-05-2013, 11:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
They're both '93s, and will be 20 by the time the next tournament rolls around

Old
02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Cut off dates for the draft and WJC are different. So you could miss one but make the other, and then you're screwed (or lucky, depending on which one you miss).

Old
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
So Makarov is doing well?

Old
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
So Makarov is doing well?
Yeah, named CHL Goaltender of the Week:
Quote:
The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Andrey Makarov of the Saskatoon Blades is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending February 3 after posting a 3-0-0-0 record with one shutout along with a goals-against-average of 0.67 and save percentage of .982.

Makarov stopped 107 shots in three games backstopping the 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup host Blades to three wins last week. He picked up back-to-back first star honours beginning with a Wednesday night win over the Brandon Wheat Kings where he made 38 saves in the 5-1 victory, then picked up his sixth shutout of the season to match the WHL high on Friday with 42 saves in a 6-0 win over the Calgary Hitmen. He finished his week with a 27-save performance on Saturday as third star in a 4-1 win over the Swift Current Broncos.

Makarov, a 19-year-old from Kazan, Russia, is playing in his second WHL season with the Blades. A 2013 World Junior Championship silver medalist with Russia, Makarov has a 22-16-0-3 record with a goals-against-average of 2.61 and save percentage of .918 for the Blades who are currently fifth in the Eastern Conference with 59 points.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

The latest on McCabe's ankle:
Quote:
The University of Wisconsin men's hockey team could be without two key players for its WCHA series with Bemidji State Friday and Saturday at the Kohl Center.

UW coach Mike Eaves will know more about senior center Derek Lee (concussion) and sophomore defenseman Jake McCabe (ankle) after practice Thursday.
Quote:
McCabe, the top-scoring defenseman for the Badgers, hasn't practiced all week after suffering his injury Feb. 2 at North Dakota. Eaves said he's "almost walking without a limp'' and that it will come down to how much discomfort McCabe can handle.

Eaves said "there's a chance'' McCabe could play against the Beavers.

Link: http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...a4bcf887a.html

Old
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
SirRocko

Anyone who watches these guys regularly want to give me some projections on our "slightly" lower end prospects?

I know Catenacci has been playing well, but anyone care to guess where he or JGL, Sundher, Kea, McCabe, McNabb, etc. are going to be in 3-4 years? Is it reasonable to expect ANY of them contributing to the Sabres in the near future? McNabb hopefully, but I never watch him.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
Anyone who watches these guys regularly want to give me some projections on our "slightly" lower end prospects?

I know Catenacci has been playing well, but anyone care to guess where he or JGL, Sundher, Kea, McCabe, McNabb, etc. are going to be in 3-4 years? Is it reasonable to expect ANY of them contributing to the Sabres in the near future? McNabb hopefully, but I never watch him.
McCabe is looking good but he'll be in college for a few years, so we won't know for a while. He definitely has a future with the team if he keeps playing well and injuries don't derail him.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

So when we gonna call up Makarov cause we need a backup goalie.

I haven't heard much from Armia, when is the Finnish season over?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I haven't heard much from Armia, when is the Finnish season over?
That's because his league's been on an international break all week. It ends March 12. Then, if they qualify, there'll be some playoff games.

Closed Thread