HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
  #176
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
the thing with homer was dumb was that he should have never went after zach p and suter because there were hints that they didnt want to come here yet he still went after them thinking that money would change their minds and it didnt, it backfired, and they were other good players out there that would make this team better instead he was wasting time trying to get an answer. the smart thing was he should have just dropped out and fill in the pieces.
Like who? After Suter and Carle, Jason Garrison was the next big free agent defenseman and he had one good year. If Holmgren signed Carle for over 5 mil, he would have been slammed by the very same fans who are complaining he didn't resign him. Holmgren went after definitive upgrades and missed. You cant criticize a man for not adding pieces that weren't available.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 PM
  #177
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
the thing with homer was dumb was that he should have never went after zach p and suter because there were hints that they didnt want to come here yet he still went after them thinking that money would change their minds and it didnt, it backfired, and they were other good players out there that would make this team better instead he was wasting time trying to get an answer. the smart thing was he should have just dropped out and fill in the pieces.
You also have to remember, the Pens were the favorite to land Parise and Suter...Homer was the one who entered the bidding war and pushed the Pens right out of it. Minny was willing to match the Flyers offer, the Pens werent. I personally dont think Homer ever expected to land Parise or Suter, I think their whole offseason was planned around getting Weber. I think Homer raised to market value to make Weber want more, and then swooped in with the offer sheet designed to screw Nashville over if they matched. It was pretty ingenious, the only problem was Nashville did match it, which I think surprised everyone since it was such a risky move financially.

The way I see it, if the Flyers asked themselves "would we rather be safe and sign Carle knowing we can get him for sure, or do we role the dice and go after a top 3 defenseman in the league knowing its a 50/50?" They chose the latter, I think most of us would have picked that too if asked it at the start of the offseason.

Mota is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
  #178
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 500
Hate to admit it, but I think we're missing old toddler wrists right now...

orange is better is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
  #179
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If only that was the truth. It's not.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...rs-that-costly

Numbers can be bent and shown in a way where you can show them in anyway you want to make an argument. I'm in school for IO psychology. Hence, stats, hence, I really don't think "ryanl" is a credible anything.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 PM
  #180
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Holmgren went after definitive upgrades and missed. You cant criticize a man for not adding pieces that weren't available.
Can you criticize a man for failing to at least maintain the status quo of the year before?

I won't, unless it gets the coach fired. Then all bets are off.

Qyburn is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
  #181
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Can you criticize a man for failing to at least maintain the status quo of the year before?

I won't, unless it gets the coach fired. Then all bets are off.
Failing to maintain a status quo is a direct effect of swinging for the fences and foul-tipping until you eventually strike out in the last at bat.

Holmgren tried EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get a relevant defenseman in here. If Nashville hadn't balled up and accepted what is potentially a franchise-crippling contract, then he would've gotten away with it.

Is it your fault if you work 4 straight years to get your diploma and on graduation day the school burns down?

Come on, man.

The potential of this team plus Weber far exceeds your need to keep Carle and Jagr around. We can replace Carle and Jagr down the road if not relatively immediately. We can't replace Weber.

CS is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:19 AM
  #182
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Failing to maintain a status quo is a direct effect of swinging for the fences and foul-tipping until you eventually strike out in the last at bat.

Holmgren tried EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get a relevant defenseman in here. If Nashville hadn't balled up and accepted what is potentially a franchise-crippling contract, then he would've gotten away with it.

Is it your fault if you work 4 straight years to get your diploma and on graduation day the school burns down?

Come on, man.
You're referring to the general manager position as if it's a simple science, as if all you need to do to be successful is sit in front of your laptop, crunch numbers, and make the most prudent and the most intelligent moves.

That's probably about 0.1% of it.

The remainder is about being a shrewd, conniving, persuasive, lying, dastardly businessman, and if you don't think so you're incredibly naive.

If our scum bag doesn't beat out other scum bags at scum baggery, he's not being a good enough scum bag and ought to be held accountable.

Qyburn is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:19 AM
  #183
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
You're referring to the general manager position as if it's a simple science, as if all you need to do to be successful is sit in front of your laptop, crunch numbers, and make the most prudent and the most intelligent moves.

That's probably about 0.1% of it.

The remainder is about being a shrewd, conniving, persuasive, lying, dastardly businessman, and if you don't think so you're incredibly naive.

If our scum bag doesn't beat out other scum bags at scum baggery, he's not being a good enough scum bag and ought to be held accountable.

So tell us about the world of GMing, since you know so much.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:24 AM
  #184
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Holmgren has his faults but hes a pretty good GM. He has made some mistakes, but most GMs do. He tried to make the team better this year but was just outbid.
what can you do.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 AM
  #185
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Fire Lavy!

ninetynine* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:26 AM
  #186
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
The remainder is about being a shrewd, conniving, persuasive, lying, dastardly businessman, and if you don't think so you're incredibly naive.

If our scum bag doesn't beat out other scum bags at scum baggery, he's not being a good enough scum bag and ought to be held accountable.
You mean like creating an offersheet contract that could still potentially bankrupt the Nashville Predators as a means to force them to hand over the best young defenseman in the NHL for pennies on the dollar?

You're the naive one.


Last edited by CS: 01-31-2013 at 04:37 AM.
CS is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:40 AM
  #187
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You mean like creating an offersheet contract that could still potentiall bankrupt the Nashville Predators as a means to force them to hand over the best young defenseman in the NHL for pennies on the dollar?

You're the naive one.
I'm confused. I thought Shea Weber was still in Nashville and we were still without a #1 defenseman. Did I miss something?

A shrewd GM doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket, let alone one incredibly long shot of a basket. The fact remains that if Homer had not submitted that offer sheet, Shea Weber probably goes to the lockout without a contract. After the lockout, he's got roughly 6 months to free agency, so he would only sign a 1 year deal and then this summer, we would've been free to bid whatever obscene price we wanted for Weber and he likely becomes a Flyer, provided that the price is right.

Instead, we've now essentially guaranteed that Shea Weber is a Predator for life. Yet still, some people act like Homer is a genius of a GM and that the offer sheet was the most intelligent thing.

If Homer was working for the Preds, I'd say he did an excellent job. But as the GM of the Flyers? LOL NO. Impatience cost us a legitimate chance @ landing the best defenseman in the league.

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:55 AM
  #188
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I'm confused. I thought Shea Weber was still in Nashville and we were still without a #1 defenseman. Did I miss something?

A shrewd GM doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket, let alone one incredibly long shot of a basket.
Eggs in one basket? In what world do 4 baskets equal 1?

We stewed on Carle.
We went after Suter.
We nearly got Weber.
We settled for Schenn.

Do you know how many GMs failed to get a number one defenseman last offseason? 28. Only Nashville and Minnesota "won," if you could even call it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
The fact remains that if Homer had not submitted that offer sheet, Shea Weber probably goes to the lockout without a contract. After the lockout, he's got roughly 6 months to free agency, so he would only sign a 1 year deal and then this summer, we would've been free to bid whatever obscene price we wanted for Weber and he likely becomes a Flyer, provided that the price is right.
Weber would've been traded long before any organization gave him this fabled "1-year deal."

The team he was traded to would've wanted to re-sign him. They would've known what they were getting into when they traded for him. Most importantly, he would've never made it to the market therefore he would've never been a Flyer.

Keep telling yourself he would've, but he wouldn't have. Or we would've given up Couturier + Schenn + 1st + 1st + other ****. I'm not cool with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Instead, we've now essentially guaranteed that Shea Weber is a Predator for life. Yet still, some people act like Homer is a genius of a GM and that the offer sheet was the most intelligent thing.
Shea Weber can be a Predator for life. I don't care. I'm happy he got his money. Even if he doesn't want to play there, he can get consolation in the fact that he's rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
If Homer was working for the Preds, I'd say he did an excellent job. But as the GM of the Flyers? LOL NO. Impatience cost us a legitimate chance @ landing the best defenseman in the league.
No. Acting swiftly ensured that we had a chance at him at all without giving up far more than he was worth.

CS is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:30 AM
  #189
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Eggs in one basket? In what world do 4 baskets equal 1?

We stewed on Carle.
We went after Suter.
We nearly got Weber.
We settled for Schenn.

Do you know how many GMs failed to get a number one defenseman last offseason? 28. Only Nashville and Minnesota "won," if you could even call it that.
All that really matters there is that we came up empty. We are a contending team desperately in need of a #1 defenseman and we came up empty. You can say 28 other teams failed, but how many of them were really trying? And how many of them can honestly say a #1D might've put them over the top? When you're the GM of a big boy team, you're held to higher standards and deservedly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Weber would've been traded long before any organization gave him this fabled "1-year deal."

The team he was traded to would've wanted to re-sign him. They would've known what they were getting into when they traded for him. Most importantly, he would've never made it to the market therefore he would've never been a Flyer.

Keep telling yourself he would've, but he wouldn't have. Or we would've given up Couturier + Schenn + 1st + 1st + other ****. I'm not cool with that.
This is your opinion. It isn't substantiated in any way/shape/form. Zach Parise was allowed to walk for nothing. Ryan Suter was allowed to walk for nothing. Upper Echelon players are allowed to leave for nothing every single year. It's a possibility that Weber would've been traded, but unless it was to Weber's ideal location, I doubt he agrees to a sign and trade, and thus his trade value would be nowhere close to Schenn + Couturier + +. No team is giving anything close to that up for a player 1 year away from FA. By giving Shea Weber that offer sheet, we actually increased his trade value. We essentially made any trade a "sign and trade". Weber's value shot through the roof the second we offer sheeted him. If the Preds ever decide to trade him, his value will be so much greater than what it would've been as an RFA or with a 1 year bridge deal to UFA.

And oh by the way, this 1 year deal wasn't a fable. It was a binding offer given by the Preds to Shea Weber. Shea Weber could've signed a 1 year, 7.5M contract w/ the Preds any time he wanted prior to August 1(it was the qualifying offer the Preds had to extend him to keep him as an RFA) and then he could've refused to sign any type of extension and he would've been a UFA this season, no questions asked. Or he could've gone overseas and played there for a handsome sum of money and when the lockout ended, he could've told Poile to either trade him to the team he desires or to "take a hike". Either way, Weber ends up on the team of his dreams with a fat contract going into 2013-2014.

He signed our offersheet because it promised him an obscene amount of money very quickly. It was clearly his best offer. And with the risk of the lockout, etc. it made tremendous financial sense to sign it, but had we never extended that offer, I think there's no chance he and Nashville agreed to terms on a contract for more than 1 year.

Of course, you'll never admit this because you think you know more about hockey than everyone here, but I could really care less about your opinions. You're flat out wrong here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Shea Weber can be a Predator for life. I don't care. I'm happy he got his money. Even if he doesn't want to play there, he can get consolation in the fact that he's rich.
Well, that's good. I'm happy that you're happy for Weber. And I'm glad that Homer's idiocy could help bring about that happiness. Unfortunately, I'm not happy because I have to watch the crap product that the Flyers are icing each and every night and also because we still don't have a #1 defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No. Acting swiftly ensured that we had a chance at him at all without giving up far more than he was worth.
No. Acting swiftly and showing no patience ensured that we had no real chance at Shea Weber unless we overpaid and met their demands of Couturier+Schenn++. Without an offer sheet, a team was trading for an unsigned RFA Weber w/ 1 year till unrestricted free agency and a lockout looming (whereby a fullly cancelled season would result in Weber being a UFA without ever playing a single game for your team). After the offer sheet, we were trading for 14 years of Shea Weber. Homer upped the price on himself, the hallmark of a truly excellent GM

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:20 AM
  #190
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I'm confused. I thought Shea Weber was still in Nashville and we were still without a #1 defenseman. Did I miss something?

A shrewd GM doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket, let alone one incredibly long shot of a basket. The fact remains that if Homer had not submitted that offer sheet, Shea Weber probably goes to the lockout without a contract. After the lockout, he's got roughly 6 months to free agency, so he would only sign a 1 year deal and then this summer, we would've been free to bid whatever obscene price we wanted for Weber and he likely becomes a Flyer, provided that the price is right.

Instead, we've now essentially guaranteed that Shea Weber is a Predator for life. Yet still, some people act like Homer is a genius of a GM and that the offer sheet was the most intelligent thing.

If Homer was working for the Preds, I'd say he did an excellent job. But as the GM of the Flyers? LOL NO. Impatience cost us a legitimate chance @ landing the best defenseman in the league.
I didn't know Weber's dream was to play for the Flyers and no other team that Holmgren could of waited to he was a UFA. I mean where else would he want to play. Not his hometown of Vancouver or a place like Detroit.

Alls this eggs in one basket thing is ridiculous because it is all based on incomplete knowledge. Maybe Carle didn't want to stay in Philly. Holmgren could of been trying to sign him all year but maybe Carle wanted to go somewhere he was appreciated by the fans. There was a maudlin article about just that this past weekend. Maybe Garrison wanted to play in his hometown of Vancouver. Said so himself. Maybe no free agents want to come here because of Laviolette? Because of Bryz? Because of the Philly Media? Because of he fans and pressure to win? When you say Holmgren spent to much time on Parise, Suter, and Weber, he are assuming Philly is a destination spot in the NHL yet it is never in the top 5 of places to play in players polls? Maybe the Flyers pay out big contracts because players don't want to play in this town.

unrestricted free agency has changed in that just about every is offering similar contracts and it is on the players prejudice to play where they want to. A GM should not be bashed for not signing a UFA because you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. The only real control a GM has is on drafting and trades. Holmgren has missed on some trades, like Carcillo, Eminger and Versteeg, but has done great as well on Coburn, Carle (who was an overpriced one year wonder at the time), and Leino. Holmgren also has a good eye for talent as demonstrated by not missing on a 1st round pick in over a decade plus some hidden gems, like Matt Read and Bobrowski, as well. The GM's is to provide the team with talent and the Coaches job is to find he best way to use that talent. Compare the rosters of the Devils and the Flyers, especially the defenseman core. Which roster would you think would be leading the division?

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 AM
  #191
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Holmgren cannot be criticized for a lack of trying -- maybe for goalies (in the past), but he goes hard for the people they target as FAs.

What he can be criticized for is asset management. For every traded pick, there is a ripple effect that affects the management and outlook of the team later on down the road. I'm thinking about wasted 2nd rounders that could be traded for goalies at deadlines. I'm also thinking about the Flyers not drafting defensemen. Wouldn't d-men drafted 2-3 years ago look good on this roster right about now?

Hey, maybe that's a club philosophy, I don't know. But relying on free agency/trades/offer sheets to have a shot at getting extremely important players is a huge gamble and, I think, a losing strategy. It takes us out of the driver's seat and leaves too much to chance. Draft and build internally. The resistance (impatience) the Flyers show to doing that is definitely something that can be blamed on management.

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:16 AM
  #192
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
It was long rumored that he would've accepted a big home town discount to stay In Philly, but he eventually got tired of waiting to hear back about the Suter sweepstakes and found out that other teams were willing to break the bank for him.

Btw, Our complete inability to break into the offensive zone with any consistency this season should really be proving to you all just how valuable your scapegoat had been for the past few seasons.
I know it was amazing how much he helped us move the puck in the NJ series last year.....oh wait.

Carle's ability to move the puck is missed, but let's not go overboard.We'd be in the same position with him here.

Protest is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
  #193
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
A shrewd GM doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket, let alone one incredibly long shot of a basket. The fact remains that if Homer had not submitted that offer sheet, Shea Weber probably goes to the lockout without a contract. After the lockout, he's got roughly 6 months to free agency, so he would only sign a 1 year deal and then this summer, we would've been free to bid whatever obscene price we wanted for Weber and he likely becomes a Flyer, provided that the price is right.
Holmgren threw the offersheet at Weber when he couldn't agree on a trade with Nashville and Nashville began speaking with other teams about Weber. The more likely scenario was that Weber was traded to a competitor (NY Rangers) and signed long-term there.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
  #194
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Chris is right on this one.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:25 AM
  #195
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Is this a fire Holmgren thread or a fire Laviolette thread. I seem to be confused.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 AM
  #196
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Holmgren threw the offersheet at Weber when he couldn't agree on a trade with Nashville and Nashville began speaking with other teams about Weber. The more likely scenario was that Weber was traded to a competitor (NY Rangers) and signed long-term there.
I assume you have a link to go with this? Forgive me for not taking you at your word, I just happen to have years of experience in deal negotiation, and I've never actually seen someone negotiate in this way (unless another company has paid for exclusive negotiating rights).

I highly doubt that Nashville began speaking with other teams only after Philly wouldn't match what they asked for. And beyond that, Weber's agent is quoted as saying his client had no desire to play for the Rangers / to live in Manhattan. So, sorry, I'm not buying the whole "Homer did it to prevent him from going to the Rangers" angle.

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
  #197
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I assume you have a link to go with this? Forgive me for not taking you at your word, I just happen to have years of experience in deal negotiation, and I've never actually seen someone negotiate in this way (unless another company has paid for exclusive negotiating rights).

I highly doubt that Nashville began speaking with other teams only after Philly wouldn't match what they asked for. And beyond that, Weber's agent is quoted as saying his client had no desire to play for the Rangers / to live in Manhattan. So, sorry, I'm not buying the whole "Homer did it to prevent him from going to the Rangers" angle.
I used the Rangers as an example, but Vancouver was very much in the mix for Shea Weber. Not sure what other teams were either.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
  #198
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I didn't know Weber's dream was to play for the Flyers and no other team that Holmgren could of waited to he was a UFA. I mean where else would he want to play. Not his hometown of Vancouver or a place like Detroit.

Alls this eggs in one basket thing is ridiculous because it is all based on incomplete knowledge. Maybe Carle didn't want to stay in Philly. Holmgren could of been trying to sign him all year but maybe Carle wanted to go somewhere he was appreciated by the fans. There was a maudlin article about just that this past weekend. Maybe Garrison wanted to play in his hometown of Vancouver. Said so himself. Maybe no free agents want to come here because of Laviolette? Because of Bryz? Because of the Philly Media? Because of he fans and pressure to win? When you say Holmgren spent to much time on Parise, Suter, and Weber, he are assuming Philly is a destination spot in the NHL yet it is never in the top 5 of places to play in players polls? Maybe the Flyers pay out big contracts because players don't want to play in this town.
You can play this game any time to defend a GM. It's an absolutely ridiculous defense. Maybe Weber did want to play in Vancouver or Detroit, but it's clear he also wanted to come here and there's tons of soundbites from his agent about how Philly was his first choice. Maybe that's all lies, maybe it was all about the money to Weber, I don't know, but what I do know is that we would've at least had a shot at Weber if we didn't offersheet him. I also feel fairly confident that no team in the NHL, especially not the Rangers, would've put together a package rivaling the "Couturier + Schenn + +" that the Preds were asking for for an RFA Shea Weber, who could've simply decided to sit out 1 lockout-shortened season to get to UFA status.

At the very least without the offer sheet the Preds price would've had to come down or else there would've been no trade of Shea Weber. And if that happened, perhaps the Flyers are the highest bidder via trade and they get Weber. We actually matched up very well w/ the Preds in terms of having players that fit their needs. I would argue that we were in a better position than most of our competitors, with our large amount of young talent @ the forward position. Instead, Homer got impatient (a hallmark of his tenure as GM is impatience) and he pulled the trigger on a dumb offer sheet and he cost us a legitimate chance @ Shea Weber.

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  #199
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I used the Rangers as an example, but Vancouver was very much in the mix for Shea Weber. Not sure what other teams were either.
Vancouver + salary cap = Cannot land Weber.

And let's assume for a second they did have the cap room, what were they going to offer via trade that could trump a Flyers offer? Kessler?

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
  #200
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Vancouver + salary cap = Cannot land Weber.

And let's assume for a second they did have the cap room, what were they going to offer via trade that could trump a Flyers offer? Kessler?
The Flyers offered Read, Mezsaros and 1st. Hardly a great package.

I'm sure the Vancouver package would have probably contained Edler. Probably some combination of multiple prospects like Zach Kassian, Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce or Jordan Schroeder. And draft picks.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.