HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Cory Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
catbiz

vCash: 500

To be fair, Theo has been one of the few bright spots for the panthers this season. Clemmer has been horrible. Our problem isn't really in goal. It's scoring goals. Look at our goals for over the last five games. This has been the problem for this club for the past decade.
I'd love to have Lu on board but he just doesn't fit in at the moment.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I guess what we heard during the off season about Florida not needing a goalie is turning out to be spot on.

I mean:

Theodore: 3.97 GAA .904 SV%
Clemmensen 4.80 GAA .840 SV%

I guess since the goaltending situation is going so well we don't have a hope of shopping a goalie to them.

Goaltending is actually _not_ their problem right now. Injuries and rust are. Their entire team has looked terrible, can't score and can't defend. Theodore and Clemmenson have actually held them in games, for as long as they could.

If they are well out of the playoffs by the deadline, then I can definitely see them swing a deal for Lu because they could easier give up roster pieces at that point. We are very far from that point, however,

Old
01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Goaltending is actually _not_ their problem right now. Injuries and rust are. Their entire team has looked terrible, can't score and can't defend. Theodore and Clemmenson have actually held them in games, for as long as they could.

If they are well out of the playoffs by the deadline, then I can definitely see them swing a deal for Lu because they could easier give up roster pieces at that point. We are very far from that point, however,
For discussion purposes only, if they are far out, aquiring Luongo is detrimental to them. Lu would win games and hurt their draft position. In the offseason....different story.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Alflives

Quote:

Who does Florida have that would help the Canuck's current roster? Could you also explain what that player has that makes him better than the Canucks's current guys?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
For discussion purposes only, if they are far out, aquiring Luongo is detrimental to them. Lu would win games and hurt their draft position. In the offseason....different story.

At the same time, they wouldn't have guys like Weiss to potentially deal. Draft position pales in comparison to that. It will still be reasonably high because there will be less games available to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Who does Florida have that would help the Canuck's current roster? Could you also explain what that player has that makes him better than the Canucks's current guys?

Weiss. Fixes the 3rd line C spot for this year. Put him in the package with some futures and you have an excellent basis for a deal at the deadline.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Alflives

Weiss. Fixes the 3rd line C spot for this year. Put him in the package with some futures and you have an excellent basis for a deal at the deadline.[/QUOTE]

Could you give some details on Weiss?

Age, Size, skill-set??? Does he play tough like Kesler, or soft like Henrick? Would he be a candidate for the number two center as Henrick gets older and Kesler moves to #1? Can he play head-to-head against the other top centers in the league? Can he defend them? As you can tell, I am not familiar with this player.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post

Could you give some details on Weiss?

Age, Size, skill-set??? Does he play tough like Kesler, or soft like Henrick? Would he be a candidate for the number two center as Henrick gets older and Kesler moves to #1? Can he play head-to-head against the other top centers in the league? Can he defend them? As you can tell, I am not familiar with this player.

29 years old, 5'11", playmaker. Has a good two-way game as well. He does play on the softer side somewhat, but he ends up registering a lot of hits for his role. Here's his profile: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2465

He is currently playing 1C on the Panthers. Has done so for some time. He has played head to head, as the Panther's depth dictates.

I don't think VAN will keep him around after this year. He'll be in the ball-park of a 5m player (a la Zajac), and so will price himself out of the market. However, for this year, he upgrades the C position greatly. Along with a few futures, it could give VAN enough for the here and now to deal Luongo off the roster, as well as something for the future should Weiss walk.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Reign Nateo

I think Florida and Toronto fans have a much different take on goaltending than Canucks fans. I've watched a couple Panthers games and usually watch the Leafs' games that come on and a good portion of the goals that go in would result in our goalies being crucified. Yet due to each team's respective goaltending history, their fans see no issues. Just a different perception is all and not trying to take a shot at Leafs/Panthers fans. But it's almost like they forgot what All-Star caliber goaltending looks like every night and what it can mean to your team.

That "highlight of the night" goal that Theodore let in the other night is a prime example. All he had to do was stand his ground, the shooter had no time, yet he does some kind of barrell roll and gets beat low. That would have created a **** storm in Vancouver if Luongo or Schneider had ended a game like that. Yet Florida fans seem content.

Again, not a jab, just an observation.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I think Florida and Toronto fans have a much different take on goaltending than Canucks fans. I've watched a couple Panthers games and usually watch the Leafs' games that come on and a good portion of the goals that go in would result in our goalies being crucified. Yet due to each team's respective goaltending history, their fans see no issues. Just a different perception is all and not trying to take a shot at Leafs/Panthers fans. But it's almost like they forgot what All-Star caliber goaltending looks like every night and what it can mean to your team.

That "highlight of the night" goal that Theodore let in the other night is a prime example. All he had to do was stand his ground, the shooter had no time, yet he does some kind of barrell roll and gets beat low. That would have created a **** storm in Vancouver if Luongo or Schneider had ended a game like that. Yet Florida fans seem content.

I kind of see what you are saying, but I'm watching their games and on the whole, the FLA goaltenders are not the reason they lose. Their D is in shambles, and they're missing an entire line up front.

For TOR games, I dunno. Haven't caught any this year, just the highlights.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
dave babych returns

Boy, I just cannot get behind the idea of trading Luongo for a player like Weiss.

By that I mean a salary for salary deal - I just think the odds are pretty low that the Canucks are going to acquire a player good enough to justify turfing current Canucks when the inevitable salary cap crunch comes that it seems pointless.

I mean you could get a guy like Weiss and he's going to probably cost you David Booth (plus Ballard is already a goner), *hopefully* you can get him re-signed for under $5m and then what do you do with Schroeder?

If the Panthers are just going to throw him into a deal then great, but the Roberto Luongo deal needs to address some key organizational issues and compromising the return for a pretty darn good rental undercuts that.

Edit: and all this being said, with Theordore playing well, holding a NTC and expiring at the end of the season.. I see a Luongo to Florida deal taking place in the offseason. Especially now that we know Lack is out for some time.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Alflives

Quote:
29 years old, 5'11", playmaker. Has a good two-way game as well. He does play on the softer side somewhat, but he ends up registering a lot of hits for his role. Here's his profile: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2465

He is currently playing 1C on the Panthers. Has done so for some time. He has played head to head, as the Panther's depth dictates.

Considering how you described him, would coach V play that type of player as the third line center?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Nuck This

Quote:

Really? I have Theodore as my third goalie in my pool and you thought Roberto used to give up softies? My god. Theodore sucks.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

I've said this before, but that team had a ton of ties/games go into overtime last season. It tended to make the Panthers appear stronger (at least in the standings) than they were otherwise. Their solid goaltending was responsible for at least a good part of that so any kind of decline in performance might've been more of an effect on the w's/l's (margin of error is pretty small).

I'll admit I haven't watch any Panther games this season, so I'll ask this question. How badly (if any kind of effect) has the loss of Garrison hurt them? (not just in terms of offense but defense).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 01-31-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
I kind of see what you are saying, but I'm watching their games and on the whole, the FLA goaltenders are not the reason they lose. Their D is in shambles, and they're missing an entire line up front.

For TOR games, I dunno. Haven't caught any this year, just the highlights.
Ya I don't mean to imply that goaltending is killing them, just they hold their goaltending to a lot lower standard than we do in this market.

People that haven't been in a hockey lockerroom don't realize the kind of confidence a top end goalie gives you either. It's a big difference that's hard to see from the outside. But players will work harder and play better when they trust the guy in net, and conversly will give up easier and work less when they're worried about the guy in net blowing the game for them. Something that people don't realize, you put Luongo on either of those teams and their skates get lighter and the grip on their stick loosens.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Nuck This

I don't think Weiss is the answer. He's a rental. He's seeking 5+ million which the Canucks wouldn't go for.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I don't think Weiss is the answer. He's a rental. He's seeking 5+ million which the Canucks wouldn't go for.
Yeah, and I believe there's a point where you can just have too many ex Panthers.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Yeah, and I believe there's a point where you can just have too many ex Panthers.
In terms of reg players need (Bailey), lots of prospects, and a young prospect(Nino) that want out the Islanders make too much sense. It's just too bad the Islanders have the glass shooter tooter contract to deal with.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Boy, I just cannot get behind the idea of trading Luongo for a player like Weiss.

By that I mean a salary for salary deal - I just think the odds are pretty low that the Canucks are going to acquire a player good enough to justify turfing current Canucks when the inevitable salary cap crunch comes that it seems pointless.

I mean you could get a guy like Weiss and he's going to probably cost you David Booth (plus Ballard is already a goner), *hopefully* you can get him re-signed for under $5m and then what do you do with Schroeder?

If the Panthers are just going to throw him into a deal then great, but the Roberto Luongo deal needs to address some key organizational issues and compromising the return for a pretty darn good rental undercuts that.

Edit: and all this being said, with Theordore playing well, holding a NTC and expiring at the end of the season.. I see a Luongo to Florida deal taking place in the offseason. Especially now that we know Lack is out for some time.

Weiss wouldn't be retained past the year.

The offseason deal does seem more likely. My take is that _if_ a deal was to go down between these team at the deadline, Weiss would be a fixture. Going from reports, the rumoured deal in TOR was Bozak + Kadri + pick. The equivalent could be Weiss + pick + Petrovic/Shore. So there still is a future component, as well as there being a current component.

That's of course, if that TOR deal was anywhere close to what we should expect for Luongo.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
In terms of reg players need (Bailey), lots of prospects, and a young prospect(Nino) that want out the Islanders make too much sense. It's just too bad the Islanders have the glass shooter tooter contract to deal with.
I believe he goes by Glass Jesus now

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Crows*

Maybe the Canucks are waiting for the coyotes to move, then trade Lu to Phoenix/Seattle for doan.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:

We'll agree to disagree on that one. Respectfully, I tend to think that goaltending is a big part of their problem.

I don't think you win championships with average or below average goaltending which is the range where I would put Florida's situation. I consider it kinda silly that people would say Florida does not need elite goaltending. Sure they have other problems big time, but goaltending is no small part of that.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

I've tried to watch Florida games this year, and its really hard.

The games aren't close, and they're just awful. With free center ice, there is always a better game on.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Crows*

Could this have been one giant mind **** by the canucks org? Take the pressure off lu and remind everyone what we have in this guy. The best goalie we've ever had.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Maybe the Canucks are waiting for the coyotes to move, then trade Lu to Phoenix/Seattle for doan.
You mean Quebec City

Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Could this have been one giant mind **** by the canucks org? Take the pressure off lu and remind everyone what we have in this guy. The best goalie we've ever had.
I don't think it was intentional, but it seems like Luongo is going to pull a Tim Thomas and steal his net back.

Closed Thread