HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny

Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 AM
hockeyviking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
As a Devils fan, Stastny intrigues me. We have plenty of solid defenseman that we could send the other way.
Larsson ???

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
Larsson ???
Naaaaaaa

I'm thinking something along the lines of Greene+decent pick or Tallinder++

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
As a Devils fan, Stastny intrigues me. We have plenty of solid defenseman that we could send the other way.
We have the same problem as you guys, plenty of 'solid' defenders and not enough top pairing defenders.

I can't see a trade to be made with NJD that's fair for both sides to be honest.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, because Phaneufs been playing to his capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The exact same thing can be said about Dion Phaneuf. Your argument is flawed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Yes, because Phaneuf has practically played to his capabilities for the last couple years, right?
If you're going to engage in such a discussion, it would probably be a good idea to actually watch games. Dion Phaneuf has been playing very well for the past couple of years at both ends of the ice. He may not be living up to his rookie year expectations but he is still a number one d-man and those usually aren't traded for forwards that have experienced a slow but steady decrease in production and general abilities for the past three or four years now.

I was watching Stastny last night. I'm just not impressed.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
You sound like a fellow Avs fan

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
If you're going to engage in such a discussion, it would probably be a good idea to actually watch games. Dion Phaneuf has been playing very well for the past couple of years at both ends of the ice. He may not be living up to his rookie year expectations but he is still a number one d-man and those usually aren't traded for forwards that have experienced a slow but steady decrease in production and general abilities for the past three or four years now.

Hopefully you didn't key in on him too much, because no one was impressive. In fact I thought our best forwards were Olver and Sgarbossa. In an environment like that - pure unstructured chaos - Stastny will not do well. He's a cerebral player that depends on excellent anticipation. What the hell is supposed to be anticipated.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Grimlore

I would really be hesitant to trade for Stastny, in the even he cant turn it around. I mean he has one assist in 6 games this year so far.

For the Blues, he certainly makes too much money and would he really be an upgrade over Berglund on the second line? If the Avs kept 1.5-2 mil of his salary, I might trade something like Cole + Rattie, + 2nd round pick.

Paul Stastny (@5.1mil / yr)

Ian Cole
Ty Rattie
2nd Round pick (2013)
1.5mil (Stastny remaining salary)

Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadanny View Post
I would really be hesitant to trade for Stastny, in the even he cant turn it around. I mean he has one assist in 6 games this year so far.

For the Blues, he certainly makes too much money and would he really be an upgrade over Berglund on the second line? If the Avs kept 1.5-2 mil of his salary, I might trade something like Cole + Rattie, + 2nd round pick.

Paul Stastny (@5.1mil / yr)

Ian Cole
Ty Rattie
2nd Round pick (2013)
1.5mil (Stastny remaining salary)

Horrible!
Stastny is playing Bad right now.
So are the Avs As a whole.
We have larger Problems than Paul.
We desperately Need a New Coach for Years now.

And I want to See Paul under him.
Avs don't have a System and are pure Chaos on ICE.
Stazz is probably suffering the Most because of this given His cerebral
Playmaking Kind of style

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Horrible!

Playmaking Kind of style
Could not agree more. IF the Avs FO refuses to fire Sacco, then a trade to StL would make me happy. I love Statz, but its hard watching him under Sacco. I think many hockey people can see that Statz's decline started under Sacco's "system" and that its not all on Statz's skills or effort.

StL has a few pending RFA defense that are interesting, and although Pietrangelo is surely untouchable, Cole or Shatty + makes sense. The Avs really do owe Statz the chance to be happy elsewhere if they keep going with this coaching plan. Eating some salary would be fine (yet against the cheap nature of ownership) but getting a top 4 Dman and a wing prospect and/or decent draft pick would be worth it to the Avs fan base I think.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
When Avs lock up O'Reilly they have to make a decision about Stastny. I suspect that will happen this summer. They'll see if he wants to re-sign and if he doesn't, they probably have to move him at some point.

I don't expect to see anything happen during this season but there are of course many unknowns at this point.

Stastny was probably the best forward for Avs last half of last season. He just needs his wingers to score. I'm sure McGinn and Jones will start hitting the net sooner rather than later. Stastny needs to pick up his game too. He's been really poor the last two games.
This coming off-season the following teams should be on the hunt for a top two line center:

Toronto, Florida, Columbus, St Louis, Washington, Edmonton, Anaheim, Nashville, Columbus, Calgary, and Phoenix

Getzlaf, Weiss, Stastny (O'Reilly), Berglund (potentially), Gagner (potentially), Ribeiro are the most high profile players available. Assuming D and wingers are the desired return, I could see a deal between Columbus or Phoenix and Colorado. Toronto is a good destination as well but I am sure they want to see what happens with Weiss and Getzlaf before they make a move.

Phoenix makes the most sense for Stastny.

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I'm looking forward to the day Paulie gets back to his glory days when he's released from the curse that goes by the name of ''Joe Sacco''.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
miser

Given Spezza's surgery - Statsny could be a reasonable option for the Sens.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

David Desharnais
Yannick Weber

for

Stasny
+ Prospect

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

But Stasny to Buffalo will be the more logical transaction

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
David Desharnais
Yannick Weber

for

Stasny
+ Prospect
I think it would make more sense if it was Eller + Weber + their choice of a 2nd or Kristo.

Kristo has been one of the better players in college, he needs to grow up and the spotlight in Montreal probably isn't the best place for him.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Could not agree more. IF the Avs FO refuses to fire Sacco, then a trade to StL would make me happy. I love Statz, but its hard watching him under Sacco. I think many hockey people can see that Statz's decline started under Sacco's "system" and that its not all on Statz's skills or effort.

StL has a few pending RFA defense that are interesting, and although Pietrangelo is surely untouchable, Cole or Shatty + makes sense. The Avs really do owe Statz the chance to be happy elsewhere if they keep going with this coaching plan. Eating some salary would be fine (yet against the cheap nature of ownership) but getting a top 4 Dman and a wing prospect and/or decent draft pick would be worth it to the Avs fan base I think.
There's no way we could afford Stastny, and I'm honestly doubtful about his ability to regain form. I know Sacco is god awful, but from my viewings (albeit limited) of Stastny, he's been unnoticeable and ineffective. His passes haven't been crisp and his hockey sense seems to have diminished, things you can't really blame on your coach. I hope he proves me wrong though, guy had an insane rookie season, and god knows the Avs could use some scoring with their depleted lineup.

I'd be very interested in ROR though, but obviously a huge overpayment would be needed. Unless you guys will accept some form of combination of Schwartz/Cole/Rattie/D'Agostini

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Rhaego

If we were to trade him, I really hope we get a 1st back

#tankingproblems

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
There's no way we could afford Stastny, and I'm honestly doubtful about his ability to regain form. I know Sacco is god awful, but from my viewings (albeit limited) of Stastny, he's been unnoticeable and ineffective. His passes haven't been crisp and his hockey sense seems to have diminished, things you can't really blame on your coach. I hope he proves me wrong though, guy had an insane rookie season, and god knows the Avs could use some scoring with their depleted lineup.

I'd be very interested in ROR though, but obviously a huge overpayment would be needed. Unless you guys will accept some form of combination of Schwartz/Cole/Rattie/D'Agostini
I've watched half of the Av's games this year and last and I'm content with his skill level and ability. Some games he seems almost invisible but overall I like his game. Stastny and Pacioretty have good chemistry together.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
IceyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
David Desharnais
Yannick Weber

for

Stasny
+ Prospect
Why would we downgrade to someone less proven at the cost of a prospect?

IceyDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Cullen Bohannon

It doesn't matter how poorly Stastny has been playing recently.

It's clear he doesn't want to play for Sacco the scrub so he's just cashing it in.

Given a change of scenery with a somewhat competent coach and wingers that can finish on a somewhat regular basis, I guarantee he will flourish.

He's too good not to.

I'd love for the Avs to keep him and see how he plays under a new coach, but since they seem to be inexplicably enamored with a coach that couldn't even win in the AHL, I see Stastny leaving before Sacco.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Grimlore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Horrible!

Playmaking Kind of style
Cole could challenge for a top 4 dman spot on the Avs and Rattie is a good prospect who plays wing. Realistically, I wouldn't be hesitant to include the Blues 1st rounder.

What kind of return do you expect for Stastny?
Carter returned Jack Johnson and a 1st.
Stastny for Cole, Rattie and a 1st shouldn't be too far off.

Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
really interested to hear how you've seen those 2 games.
You can find DEL streams on the internet.

Legal or...otherwise.

Plus I have family just outside of Hamburg and some in Frankfurt. Obviously I hear and get less from those in Bremen. I have converted some to Jets fans, so there's some level of success I feel in that though. Are you located in Germany?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadanny View Post
Cole could challenge for a top 4 dman spot on the Avs and Rattie is a good prospect who plays wing. Realistically, I wouldn't be hesitant to include the Blues 1st rounder.

What kind of return do you expect for Stastny?
Carter returned Jack Johnson and a 1st.
Stastny for Cole, Rattie and a 1st shouldn't be too far off.
If im the avs management, id rather do what youre trying to do.

That is, id rather combine multiple parts to get one better one.

Id rather trade Stastny for a Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Enstrom, etc. And if I had to add a bit to Stastny to do it, id rather do that than trade him for a package of smaller pieces.

Simply, the avs shouldnt be trading 4 quarters for their dollar but rather trading their quarters for the dollar...if that makes sense.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
If im the avs management, id rather do what youre trying to do.

That is, id rather combine multiple parts to get one better one.

Id rather trade Stastny for a Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Enstrom, etc. And if I had to add a bit to Stastny to do it, id rather do that than trade him for a package of smaller pieces.

Simply, the avs shouldnt be trading 4 quarters for their dollar but rather trading their quarters for the dollar...if that makes sense.
The problem with what getting what you want is asset management.

A year and a half ago I remember talking to Av's fans and saying the longer you keep Stastny the more he'll lose value and eventually he'll become valued as a rental and the Av's fans didn't want to hear that then. We are getting close to that point and most rentals end up going for two or three pieces, not a really good piece coming back in trade.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The problem with what getting what you want is asset management.

A year and a half ago I remember talking to Av's fans and saying the longer you keep Stastny the more he'll lose value and eventually he'll become valued as a rental and the Av's fans didn't want to hear that then. We are getting close to that point and most rentals end up going for two or three pieces, not a really good piece coming back in trade.
Absolutely agree that the longer they wait, the more he becomes a rental.

But thats why you piece him together with valued assets.

Or, at least you target players with similar contracts, JBo, Pitkanen, M Staal.

Or, depending on what OEL gets next season, perhaps Phx doesnt want to keep so much salary tied up on defense, and may want to move Yandle.

The point is, if you trade Stastny for small pieces that are essentially the same of what you have already, you're never improving.

As of this off-season, the avs can sign him to an extension, so it could become a moot point either way.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote