HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 116
Dreger: Avs not entertaining any trade offers, no negotiations going on between the parties.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Dreger: Avs not entertaining any trade offers, no negotiations going on between the parties.

Both sides with their thumbs up their butts great.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Both sides with their thumbs up their butts great.
Yea it's like we're waiting on two five year olds to kiss and make up. How can either side in this call themselves professionals? This is pathetic.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Goulet17

Good news that management is taking such a proactive approach.

I call this the "ostrich" management style.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Or he wants out of the organization and is therefore unwilling to compromise.

I mean, it may be as simple as a guy trying to utterly maximize his payday after by far his best season.

However, the O'R camp has to know what the rest of us know - that any player who doesn't sign offered contracts (especially those who miss training camp time, let alone regular season time) get shipped out of PL's sandbox very quickly. Which is precisely what they've done. In spades. This, after the guy rocks the boat by signing a two year KHL contract. On top of that, they've (evidently) turned down a couple of seemingly fair contract proposals that would have made O'R a very wealthy young man at age 21.

It seems a bit extreme to me. I can't help but wonder if he simply wants out. For whatever reason.
I agree that's ultimately his goal, but I was addressing TPS's assertions about how he loves this place.

I think from O'Reilly's persepctive, he felt was never going to get a fair shake here after they committed to Duchene. He'd always get 3rd class minutes and linemates to some degree, behind Duchene and Stastny. He wants to either force the Avs to commit to him as a top player in some fashion (and how better than forcing a big contract?) or to get traded to a place he will get those minutes/linemates.

But TPS is pitching the O'Reilly camp line that he a) deserves his demands in some way (lol) and b) this is just business, he doesn't want a trade or to leave. Bull-****ing-****, I say. He would have gotten those minutes/linemates if he'd continued to show consistency in those situations, and I bet he would have ultimately forced out Stastny if he'd stayed the course. But he's not willing to prove himself because he knows he deserves these things NOW. He's ALL about himself. That's what this drama has shown me.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Foppa2118

Meanwhile, what hasn't really been pointed out is O'Reilly's 21, and he's risking losing a year of NHL development in this whole thing. That doesn't bode well for growing his offensive game the way he's insisting will happen.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Avs71

Damn, I wanted that 2nd round pick.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Meanwhile, what hasn't really been pointed out is O'Reilly's 21, and he's risking losing a year of NHL development in this whole thing. That doesn't bode well for growing his offensive game the way he's insisting will happen.
Which is why he will sign at some point. The Avs know this, which is why they are holding steady on their offer. Probably not the best way to negotiate, but it is what they do.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
ThunderBird

If ROR signs an offer sheet then the Avs could match and he could not be traded for a year and I think the amount of money a team would offer for ROR would be low enough that the Avs would match. I think this means he is willing to take less money with another team, and I suspect that he raised his asking price to the Avalanche only. This guy wants a trade to another team.

So while I hate this idea. I think it is best if we trade him to the highest bidder hopefully an Eastern conference team.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
No surprise there. The Avs can't keep low-balling ROR when the PK looks atrocious and it is obvious that we need him. And ROR isn't going to cave for the same reasons.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I think from O'Reilly's persepctive, he felt was never going to get a fair shake here after they committed to Duchene. He'd always get 3rd class minutes and linemates to some degree, behind Duchene and Stastny. He wants to either force the Avs to commit to him as a top player in some fashion (and how better than forcing a big contract?) or to get traded to a place he will get those minutes/linemates.

I don't think this whole situation has anything to do with Stastny or Duchene, unless ROR has a really low self-esteem. Last year he outplayed than both, and if he managed to do that again this year, i'm pretty sure the Avs would gladly find another team for Stastny.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I don't think this whole situation has anything to do with Stastny or Duchene, unless ROR has a really low self-esteem. Last year he outplayed than both, and if he managed to do that again this year, i'm pretty sure the Avs would gladly find another team for Stastny.
I agree with the latter, but what's your alternate explanation for O'Reilly's behavior? It really comes down to he's a) a greedy assmunch, b) wants out, c) can't handle "losing" a negotiation, or d) wants to play in Russia. I literally can't think of any other halfway reasonable explanations, and none of those are flattering in the slightest.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

ROR Barrie for Fowler Holland please

Old
01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I agree with the latter, but what's your alternate explanation for O'Reilly's behavior? It really comes down to he's a) a greedy assmunch, b) wants out, c) can't handle "losing" a negotiation, or d) wants to play in Russia. I literally can't think of any other halfway reasonable explanations, and none of those are flattering in the slightest.
e) wants a guaranteed top 6 role.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
== wants out.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
No, I'm sure he'd get that either way. It's not about the role, this is clearly about paying what he and his agent feel he is worth, and the Avs not budging an inch. Problem is, they're bluffing, and their cards are all on the table. They painted themselves into a corner this offseason and have been left completely unprepared for this. They don't have the luxury to play hardball with him.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
No, I'm sure he'd get that either way. It's not about the role, this is clearly about paying what he and his agent feel he is worth, and the Avs not budging an inch. Problem is, they're bluffing, and their cards are all on the table. They painted themselves into a corner this offseason and have been left completely unprepared for this. They don't have the luxury to play hardball with him.
Bluffing? Can't play hardball?

I don't see where you get this from. ROR would not magically solve our scoring problem. I know it, you know it, and Avs management knows it (ROR might think otherwise, but whatever). The FO isn't bluffing, and won't be giving in to ROR's demands. They can play hardball for as long as they like -- unless you believe AD's report that ROR would be UFA after next year. Until I see some substantiated proof of that, I think it's BS.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
You're assuming Avs feel they have to win this year. I'm not so sure. Keeping Sacco, keeping and even adding transitional stiffs on defense says to me that the organization isn't particularly bothered. The Downie and Landeskog injuries and O'Reilly holding out, in addition to this being a short season has given them whatever mental ammo they needed to treat this as a throwaway year.

Que sera sera. Whatever will be, will be.

Last edited by Freudian: 01-31-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 264
The Avs can lose every game from here on out and it won't make a lick of difference in regards to what they're willing to pay O'Reilly to stop being a primadonna.

And, as I've said before, they'd look pretty stupid giving in to ridiculous demands out of desperation, then continue losing with O'Reilly. As good as he can be, he isn't Batman. Not to mention, if the Avs set a precedent with his contract, he could just as well be the Joker.

He's been offered a fair contract. I fully expect the Avs to stick to it come hell or high water. There's a lot less incentive for them to blink than there is for O'Reilly.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Old
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
LOL I was thinking about this guy literally YESTERDAY and wanted to post his pic here!!

Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966

Old
01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I now understand why ROR wants more money he has a part-time job. I wonder if his dad forced him into it.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
EdAVSfan

At this point, with Downie gone the year, Landeskog's injury unknown and ROR unsigned, it almost seems like an even better reason to not sign ROR.

If he does get signed, we would get a marginal on-ice improvement from the team.

The longer he remains unsigned, the closer we get to a top 5 pick.

So his value to the team is somewhat increasing, but to other teams, decreasing....

Old
01-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:

d'oh! Been a loooong day...I totally misread that last word and said, "WHAT???"

Closed Thread