HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs lose 5-1, I watched the UFC at TVA Sports instead of half of the game.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
The game was ruined by the refs.

1-1 until they called the 4 minutes on White. I know some people are blaming White but ****, Phillips was holding his stick against the board, White push him to loose his stick and got a penalty for that. And I understand his frustration that got him the extra 4 minutes.

Amstrong roughing penalty was a ****ing joke... and Bourque goalie interference aswell.

No excuse yes, but it sucks that the refs making an impact in the game
I have no problem with calling a spade a spade, but to pin it on the refs is lame. The calls were bad for both teams.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post

Anyway, the tale of the night was efficiency on the special teams and it's that simple. Other than that neither team was particularly impressive as a whole. Some individuals looks alright.
Agreed. Habs PK was brutal. Sens PK was in fine form, and vice versa on the PP.

The refs were terrible, but Montreal couldn't execute. That's about it.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Agreed on the part about White, but regarding Anderson - I'm not sure why people underrate him so much. He was absolutely brilliant in Florida, where he made 50+ saves almost every game. In Colorado, he struggled with the new system and it hurt his game a bit but in Ottawa, he's picked up his game again. Anderson is a solid starter for the Sens and is one of the bigger reasons why Ottawa made the playoffs last year.
Agree about Anderson. He's had that skill level for quite some time. I can remember him absolutely stealing games while in Florida - a lot. Like any goaltender he can get in a rut but stealing games is nothing new to him.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
I think Cole should play with the 2 Gally's until Patches gets back. Whenever he's been on the ice with those 2 they dominate in the offensive zone and create chances.

Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Desharnais-Prust
White-Eller-Armstrong

At least until Patches gets back, IMO!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:16 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
If you say so. I saw it live, and watched the replay multiple times. Armstrong made no effort to avoid the collision and threw himself into Smith. That was a clear penalty.
I have to agree. It looked like Armstrong realized he was about to run into Smith, and then decided to follow through since he was going to hit him anyway. If he had left it at just a little contact he might have gotten away with it, but I think the extra "oomph" he put into the collision is what got him busted.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:19 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Have the Habs been playing a passive PK system all season?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that style of penalty killing.

With Price back there, it probably works quite well, as he's stellar, but otherwise you're often giving up free uncontested shots.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Have the Habs been playing a passive PK system all season?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that style of penalty killing.

With Price back there, it probably works quite well, as he's stellar, but otherwise you're often giving up free uncontested shots.
I wouldn't say so. Last night the Sens were just quicker than the Habs. Habs had "concrete in their skates" so to speak.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I wouldn't say so. Last night the Sens were just quicker than the Habs.
Fair enough.

I thought I had caught them playing "passive box" earlier this season but maybe I was mistaken.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Fair enough.

I thought I had caught them playing "passive box" earlier this season but maybe I was mistaken.
We've been playing some brutal PK all year. Not quite sure that it's a passive box, aggressive 1-2-1 diamond or a 2-2 collapsing scheme.

It's been a mess frankly, tough to characterize. Subban should really help in that aspect.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the PK is pretty average this year. Lots of bad "couverture". But they can work on it in the next weeks.
I don't know which coach is working our PK but he needs to be reminded of how good Lars Eller was on the PK for Montreal.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
haburger

i been sayin it for the last few games,we need to stay outta the box.white cost us the game last night plain and simple.surprised he saw the ice after that.this has been going on all year,but our pp has bailed us out most nights.now that markov and diaz have come back down to earth ,its time to start playing disciplined.and getting our best d man back wont hurt either.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
i been sayin it for the last few games,we need to stay outta the box.white cost us the game last night plain and simple.surprised he saw the ice after that.this has been going on all year,but our pp has bailed us out most nights.now that markov and diaz have come back down to earth ,its time to start playing disciplined.and getting our best d man back wont hurt either.
Plain and simple a 5-1 score is not explained by a double minor. The battle of the goaltenders was as lopsided as it comes. Anderson is on fire, Budaj understandably was all over the place and not sharp from inactivity.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Plain and simple a 5-1 score is not explained by a double minor.
What? Yes it is. Score was 1-1, White gets a double minor and the Senators score on both penalties. The last two goals was just sugar on a poopcake.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
haburger

it was 1-1 and we were holding our own.a stupid and selfish double minor made it 3-1 then they get alucky one right after.game over.it ll be interesting to see how therrien's "accountability" theme comes into play.i say sit whitey and send the message now.waaay too many selfish penalties lately ,actually every game we been takin them.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
zzoo

Please do not blame White nor Budaj, neither the refs for the loss.
If you want to blame someone, blame Subban. He was so invisible yesterday, can't even make a pass or a shot.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Fair enough.

well if im not wrong, under JM and cunneyworth, they used to play a high slot, very aggressive PK, now they seem to be playing a collapsing game on the pk. i dont like it one bit. its possible im wrong, but our pk's been bad this year - and it usually never is

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I don't see how a coaching staff can come into a team where the PK was already so good, and think that radically changing it would be a good idea.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't see how a coaching staff can come into a team where the PK was already so good, and think that radically changing it would be a good idea.
"Hey, that Lars Eller did great on the penalty kill last year, let's take him off the PK"

Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
well if im not wrong, under JM and cunneyworth, they used to play a high slot, very aggressive PK, now they seem to be playing a collapsing game on the pk. i dont like it one bit. its possible im wrong, but our pk's been bad this year - and it usually never is
take a look around the league.a lot of teams are struggling on the penalty kill bigtime.much too early to worry.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Price 89

I know you shouldn't separate something that is working but why don't they try

Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Pleks-Cole
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Prust
White-Desharnais ( or a cone)- Armstrong

Price 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Via Team 690.

We now have Top-2 penalty-minutes leaders in the NHL. White + Prust.
We also have the league leader in hits, blocked shots, and defenseman, points, goals, and assists.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
All part of the plot to give Eller less ice time, duh.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalock View Post
I think I hate the Sens more than the Leafs and Bruins now.
I was at the game last night...

They are not gracious winners.. yeah the Leafs and Bs fans are obnoxious, but there's more substance to it.. there's a lot of hateful commentary and jabbing from Sens fans that doesn't come from the heart.. it's passive-aggressive to the max and it's like they're saying it but they don't really believe what they're saying..

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
I was at the game last night...

They are not gracious winners.. yeah the Leafs and Bs fans are obnoxious, but there's more substance to it.. there's a lot of hateful commentary and jabbing from Sens fans that doesn't come from the heart.. it's passive-aggressive to the max and it's like they're saying it but they don't really believe what they're saying..
You mean there were fans left with 10 minutes to go in the game? Don't they usually leave to beat traffic?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM
dutchy29

well it was bound to happen, we ran up against a hot goalie, first real good team we faced all season, the boys didn't have their best. Our overall defensive game was to blame for this one IMO, defensman making low percentage pinch plays trying to force the forecheck, i think that style works against teams with less talent but when you meet a strong offensive team it can kill you....not too mention no Price to bail you out. Lets move on, at least the door is wide open to get PK back, and Patches get well soon. go habs.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote