HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 01:52 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
If Zack could bury those easy tap ins he sails over the net every game, he'd have twice as many goals.
Hes come very close in a few games to having multiple goal games.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
If Zack could bury those easy tap ins he sails over the net every game, he'd have twice as many goals.
If he finished every tap ins like you said he'd be on pace to score over 100 goals in a full 82 game season.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Hes come very close in a few games to having multiple goal games.
They always seem to be in front of the net as well. Today, for instance, one of the twins set him up on a cross crease opportunity and he shot it above the net. He gets the chances, and they should be easy goals. If he could convert them more often than not, however, he may already have had 10 this year. It's a good sign that he's generating the scoring chances, but it would be phenomenal if he could turn those into goals. He's missed several tap ins with huge amounts of net to shoot at.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:56 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Still young.
Still learning.
But doing all the right things.

I say MG knows what he is doing.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:57 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Can we call Kassian "toothless agression"?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
Quote:
D'awwwwwwwww

Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
♫♪♫one of these things is not like the other♫♪♫

Old
01-31-2013, 02:45 AM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

biggest beauty on the nucks right now

Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
♫♪♫one of these things is not like the other♫♪♫
Kassian's numberless helmet?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
CpatainCanuck

...wrong thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:56 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Kassian's numberless helmet?
Cameraman doesn't need no stinkin number to know who Kassian is. He's the one that says bad mother ****er.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Now hopefully people are seeing why I have always disagreed with people saying almost as a given "CoHo will score way more but Kassian brings more overall".

I think and always have thought that Kassian has the potential to score as many or more points than CoHo and bring a more well rounded game.

We haven't even scratched the surface yet. He is scoring most of his points right now by using his body and ability to pick up the nice shot around the net. Wait until he gets more confidence in his great hands and shot and catches up more to the speed of the NHL game. Not to mention the fact that he has a lot more to bring in playmaking ability.

He is the real deal.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Now hopefully people are seeing why I have always disagreed with people saying almost as a given "CoHo will score way more but Kassian brings more overall".

I think and always have thought that Kassian has the potential to score as many or more points than CoHo and bring a more well rounded game.

We haven't even scratched the surface yet. He is scoring most of his points right now by using his body and ability to pick up the nice shot around the net. Wait until he gets more confidence in his great hands and shot and catches up more to the speed of the NHL game. Not to mention the fact that he has a lot more to bring in playmaking ability.

He is the real deal.
It's hard to get excited about powerforwards, at least for hockey fans who have been around the block. The success rate for these guys is so minimal, it almost seems like a waste to draft them in the 1st round (a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure you understand my point). Kassian from day 1 has shown flashes of being a cut above the rest, but still you wonder if he would put it all together. Cody on the other hand seemed almost like a can't miss. For this reason, I can understand the skeptiscism behind the trade by many fans. Now that Kassian is starting to put it together though, it's looking like a good deal.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
It's hard to get excited about powerforwards, at least for hockey fans who have been around the block. The success rate for these guys is so minimal, it almost seems like a waste to draft them in the 1st round (a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure you understand my point). Kassian from day 1 has shown flashes of being a cut above the rest, but still you wonder if he would put it all together. Cody on the other hand seemed almost like a can't miss. For this reason, I can understand the skeptiscism behind the trade by many fans. Now that Kassian is starting to put it together though, it's looking like a good deal.
And yet, I'm having a hard time thinking of a good PWF that was drafted outside of the first two rounds since the mid 90s. I guess Marcus Foligno might be one if he makes it but it's still too early to tell.

I'm sure I'm missing somebody obvious though. Edit: Clowe, I guess.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

I understand how you feel but then again, I think it has a lot to do with (respectfully and not directed toward you because I don't know your complete feelings on the subject) people being impatient with prospects.

Everyone has their bench marks for what a player ought to do at a certain level and if they don't they're a bust. For instance people were not writing Kassian off this year but I did sense that the fact he was not a PPG player in the AHL this year was a reason for concern for some posters. Like he had the potential to be regressing, or becoming stagnant in his development. It's a poor example compared to some more blatant fear mongering and "drops" in play but relevant because it's the person we are talking about now.

This line of thinking does not take into account the fact a given prospect might be injured, or that a player like Kassian might just be concentrating on solely improving some parts of his game that might be lacking or poor. The AHL experience is not always all about going out and trying to put up the maximum amount of points you can in any given situation to prove your worth as a prospect.

On the subject of power forwards:

I find they always develop later than many different types of players. I mean when you think about it, if your game is based around establishing physical dominance combined with hockey skill, there are going to be growing pains. The players in the NHL are big and strong and often in great shape. In junior a player can be used to having their way with the league and suddenly comparatively you aren't that big and strong and have to work hard to get where you're going.

I knew that because of his total package game that Kassian was really a can't miss prospect. What surprised me was how quickly he is showing he belongs in a top 6 role when he is on his game.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
rune74

Well very impressed with Zack, man he is a tank. 5 goals in 6 games, compared to cody's 3 in 6....every time he is on the ice you can feel a change in the opposition. Lovin it so far.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Catamarca Livin

Nice to see everyone get on board with Kassian. I am actually more hopeful for this season then most. Kesler coming back, Tanev and Ballard playing well. 4th line contributing. Hopefully a center coming back for Lu. Most importantly Kassian giving the Canucks a bonafide top 6 forward!! With Kassian playing like this the Canucks have more potential than any other year.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Nice to see everyone get on board with Kassian. I am actually more hopeful for this season then most. Kesler coming back, Tanev and Ballard playing well. 4th line contributing. Hopefully a center coming back for Lu. Most importantly Kassian giving the Canucks a bonafide top 6 forward!! With Kassian playing like this the Canucks have more potential than any other year.

In fairness, Kassian and some others were playing during the lockout. So they should be better out of the gate.

I'm anxiously awaiting the time when everyone is more or less caught up to speed. Then, I want to see what Schroeder and Kassian are doing.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
tantalum

It's not just the goals though of course they are nice. It's that he is playing a responsible positional game and being responsible with the puck. Some growing pains in that area can be seen but he is very much concentrating on those aspects of his game. Why? because it is those two things that keep him in the lineup and in the NHL at his age. You can score all the goals you want but if defensively you are hurting your team, and you are on a good team, you won't play. It's AV's philosophy and I think it is shared by a good number of coaches.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
It's not just the goals though of course they are nice. It's that he is playing a responsible positional game and being responsible with the puck. Some growing pains in that area can be seen but he is very much concentrating on those aspects of his game. Why? because it is those two things that keep him in the lineup and in the NHL at his age. You can score all the goals you want but if defensively you are hurting your team, and you are on a good team, you won't play. It's AV's philosophy and I think it is shared by a good number of coaches.
His positioning is excellent.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Soth

Quote:

Old
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Proto

I'm going to go out on a limb and say his 33% shooting percentage is probably unsustainable .

But he's a big guy that shoots from scoring areas. I don't think it's out of the question for him to be a 14-17% shooter like Lucic is. But right now Kassian is only getting about 2 shots per game. I'd like to see him get that up to about 2.5 (about a 200 shot pace over an 82 game season). I think if he does that, he's got a chance to be a consistent 30g/30a kind of player.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And yet, I'm having a hard time thinking of a good PWF that was drafted outside of the first two rounds since the mid 90s. I guess Marcus Foligno might be one if he makes it but it's still too early to tell.

I'm sure I'm missing somebody obvious though. Edit: Clowe, I guess.
Lucic, too. He went with the 50th pick.

Edit: Oops, you said first two rounds.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Soth

A big part of Kassian's success is that he parks in front of the net - "the dirty area" as they call it. This is an area that teams protect *fiercely* because they know that is where goals are scored from. A large chunk of cross-checking and roughing penalties are called by people protecting the front of the net.

Until now most Nucks have been unable to park in front of the net like that, because it is just too hard on the body to be stomped around... but it seems like people aren't so quick to get rough with ol Kassian. Funny about that.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
A big part of Kassian's success is that he parks in front of the net - "the dirty area" as they call it. This is an area that teams protect *fiercely* because they know that is where goals are scored from. A large chunk of cross-checking and roughing penalties are called by people protecting the front of the net.

Until now most Nucks have been unable to park in front of the net like that, because it is just too hard on the body to be stomped around... but it seems like people aren't so quick to get rough with ol Kassian. Funny about that.
He does park himself in front of the net but what hes also doing is not just staying there. He moving getting into open positions and also giving his linemates options for passes (behind the net, in the corner etc).

Closed Thread