HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Fire Sherman Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Avs71

vCash: 500
I don't get what firing Sherman would do. Is a new GM going to bring a bigger budget in and just make Kroenke open up the wallet and purchase Perry and Getzlaf this summer? Or is he going to be just such a great GM that other GM's will willingly bend over for him and just send the Avs their best players?

Some of the biggest names that have been traded since a year ago:
Brad Stuart
Lubomir Visnovsky
Mike Ribiero
Jordan Staal
JVR
Derek Roy
Rick Nash
Jack Johnson
Jeff Carter

Which of these players would seriously be helping the Avs, or that the Avs could have realistically aquired? Visnovsky sitting in Russia, JVR is a player who is another "potentially" good player, there is no need for any of the centermen there. Would Jack Johnson have been nice? Hell yeah. Would Avs fan have been happy if it was Stastny going the other way? I really doubt it. Wasn't Duchene supposed to the basis if Colorado wanted Nash?

What do you guys expect Sherman to do when there is 29 other organizations trying to do the exact same thing, most of which can gladly outspend the Avs. Seriously, find a trade from the last two seasons that would be helping the Avs to this day. There is next to no young players with star potential being traded, no middle aged players on good contracts being traded, and the Avs have no purpose in acquiring a guy in the twilight of his career.

My biggest gripe with Sherman is that Sacco is still here. Just make the damn change already. Were getting no where with him, and it's just time to take a new direction.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I'd have done a deal centered around JMFJ for Staz. I'd also give a lot for JVR.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Avs71

Team prior to Sherman:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Wolski-Arnason-Jones
Galiardi-Hendricks-Stewart
Durno-McCormick-Tucker

Hannan-Liles
Foote-Leopold
Salei-Clark

Budaj
Rycroft

Sold high:
Stewart
Smyth
Hannan
Wolski
Galiardi
Leopold

Sold low:
Shattenkirk
Liles
Boychuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I'd have done a deal centered around JMFJ for Staz. I'd also give a lot for JVR.
I don't keep tabs on who hates/likes Stastny, but that is pretty easy to say today. That is something you would have done a year ago when it looked like Stastny could still rebound, and JJ was considered a puck mover who is a defensive liability?

What would you have given for JVR? I'm not asking to rip your response, I'm just genuinely curious. To me he seems a lot like what's already wrong with this team. Underachieving potential.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I've always thought JMFJ had all the skills, and wanted to move Staz for him for several years. I understand JMFJ likes to go on his own adventures sometimes, but I think he's always been a top four, and will eventually be a number one.

I have always been willing to pay for outstanding talent, and without question that is what jack Johnson is.

I'd consider Staz for JVR as well. I understand that JVR can go invisible at times, but he has every conceivable skill for a forward. He is already a second liner at worst, and has the ability to be a top five forward in the league. He sucked last year although he was injured, but he's still a guy who scored 20 goals at 20 years old as a power forward on a third line, and in my mind in Toronto will score twenty goals in just the 48 game season. Last year I would have moved Duchene for JVR. probably not now, but I think that JVR could easily have the better career. He can shoot and works in front of the net to find goals in a way Duchene simply can't or won't.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
I've always thought JMFJ had all the skills, and wanted to move Staz for him for several years. I understand JMFJ likes to go on his own adventures sometimes, but I think he's always been a top four, and will eventually be a number one.

I have always been willing to pay for outstanding talent, and without question that is what jack Johnson is.

I'd consider Staz for JVR as well. I understand that JVR can go invisible at times, but he has every conceivable skill for a forward. He is already a second liner at worst, and has the ability to be a top five forward in the league. He sucked last year although he was injured, but he's still a guy who scored 20 goals at 20 years old as a power forward on a third line, and in my mind in Toronto will score twenty goals in just the 48 game season. Last year I would have moved Duchene for JVR. probably not now, but I think that JVR could easily have the better career. He can shoot and works in front of the net to find goals in a way Duchene simply can't or won't.
Watching this team play...Id love for you to tell me how JVR would get any opportunites for shots and to be in front of the net when we can barely get into the offensive zone. And even if we do get into the zone, theres is absolutely no sustained pressure.

Our guys cant do anything while rushing into the zone. JVR would be just as useless on this team as McGinn and Jones have been.

The avs play defense for 30 seconds in their own zone, finally skate up ice, dump, chase, work it around the boards for a few seconds, lose it, line change. Repeat.

We need a blood coach, and fast.

The biggest mistake this team ever did was fire joel quenneville.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
The biggest mistake this team ever did was fire joel quenneville.
It was a mutual parting, not sure he was interested in staying anyway. Worked out for him in any event.

Sadly, the reason Granato got the job is because he was the only guy who said he could win with that roster. And he was dead wrong.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
It was a mutual parting, not sure he was interested in staying anyway. Worked out for him in any event.

Sadly, the reason Granato got the job is because he was the only guy who said he could win with that roster. And he was dead wrong.
It wasnt mutual.

I remember at the time, Pierre McGuire was doing his segment in montreal, as he does every day. After he had spoken to quenneville, he essentially ripped into avs management for letting him go.

There was an apparent disagreement between Quennville and Avs brass. At the time, McGuire said that the AVS would regret letting this guy go.

We havent had a coach since. We've just had guys wear suits, who stand behind the bench.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Cullen Bohannon

The only problem with Q was his goalie merry-go-round.

Although looking back, can't really blame him for the garbage management dressed in goalie pads and told him to use every night.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 0
Firing Q wasn't that big of a problem. Hiring Granato was.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
The only problem with Q was his goalie merry-go-round.

Although looking back, can't really blame him for the garbage management dressed in goalie pads and told him to use every night.
Quenneville never had an Avs team with less than 95 points. With some of those teams, that was a pretty big accomplishment. Made the playoffs twice and missed them by 1 point once, last game of the season, iirc.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I don't agree. I think that if you look at individual trades, there are a couple that look OK, and a couple that don't, but overall I don't see any real team improvement. If you assume the same FA signings and not-signings - is the current team they're icing any better than the 'traded-players-inserted-into-the-lineup' could-have-been team? I don't think it is.
* I personally think that Varly is better than anything we HAD or would have had we not traded for him. Sure, we have Giggy and he could have done an admirable job filling in but who knows what he does over the course of a full season with ? Desjardins ? as his backup?

* I think that the EJ trade was a big risk but it paid off. People will always point to the fact that Shattenkirk is doing well and putting up points in St-Lou, which is all fine and good but pretty sure the determination was made that he was NOT going to develop as a #1 D-man. That's the reason for the trade. As for Stewart, his consistency issues are well documented and were the Blues problems, at least last season. We'll see how he does this year...my guess is pretty good since it's a contract year.

* Downie is injured so I guess right now, you're right, he doesn't make our team better but last year played very well for the Avs. I think you're also under estimating the Quincey HATE:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335005

* Maybe the McGinn-Galiardi trade is a wash but anytime you can snag a 20 year old, 1st year pro out of the deal and he's actually an ALL-STAR, his first year, that's impressive. Time will tell just how good Sgarbossa will be but just on what he's done so far, I'd say that's a win.

Perhaps these trades don't make us a better team RIGHT NOW but some of these moves were designed for further down the road. When we acquired EJ 2 years ago and sent 2 young, already developed assets their way in exchange for him and a 1st round pick, that's not making a trade for the immediate, that's for sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Q was always a very good coach, and getting rid of him was by far one of the worst moves this organization has made.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
* I personally think that Varly is better than anything we HAD or would have had we not traded for him. Sure, we have Giggy and he could have done an admirable job filling in but who knows what he does over the course of a full season with ? Desjardins ? as his backup?

* I think that the EJ trade was a big risk but it paid off. People will always point to the fact that Shattenkirk is doing well and putting up points in St-Lou, which is all fine and good but pretty sure the determination was made that he was NOT going to develop as a #1 D-man. That's the reason for the trade. As for Stewart, his consistency issues are well documented and were the Blues problems, at least last season. We'll see how he does this year...my guess is pretty good since it's a contract year.

* Downie is injured so I guess right now, you're right, he doesn't make our team better but last year played very well for the Avs. I think you're also under estimating the Quincey HATE:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335005

* Maybe the McGinn-Galiardi trade is a wash but anytime you can snag a 20 year old, 1st year pro out of the deal and he's actually an ALL-STAR, his first year, that's impressive. Time will tell just how good Sgarbossa will be but just on what he's done so far, I'd say that's a win.

Perhaps these trades don't make us a better team RIGHT NOW but some of these moves were designed for further down the road. When we acquired EJ 2 years ago and sent 2 young, already developed assets their way in exchange for him and a 1st round pick, that's not making a trade for the immediate, that's for sure.
Bender,

First, appreciate the detailed discussion. Good stuff.

Next, please follow me on my path here. I don't necessarily have a problem with a number of the players that Sherman has put on the roster via trade: I like EJ (good at many things, though his play near either net still needs improvement), I like Varlamov (his rebound control is the only thing that keeps him from elite status, IMO), and I like McGinn (who doesn't have the hands people think he does, but he does a lot of things well). So, I'm not totally down on the players Sherman has pulled onto the team via trade, but I still don't believe they are really better off as a team.

So. What I'd like to do here is this: let's look at the team they have now (I'm going to go off the lineup from the other night in Edmonton), assume all FA signed and let go remain the same, but plug in the traded players in place of the players that are now here, and make an assessment. Cool? BTW, I'm going to bag the Hannan and Wolski trades, since no one from those trades are still with the team. And I'm going to also assume a current healthy team with everyone signed to contracts.

Forwards first. Which of these two lineups is appreciably better?

Parenteau-Duchene-Landeskog
Jones-Stastny-McGinn
Downie-O'R-Hejduk
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau

Jones-Stastny-Hejduk
Stewart-O'R-Winnik
McLeod-Mitchell-Galiardi

Net difference: McGinn/Downie/Bordeleau vs. Stewart/Winnik/Galiardi

I don't see a whole lot of difference really, except that the older crew could kill penalties better.
-----------
Next, defensemen/goaltenders. Which is better?

Wilson/EJ
O'Byrne/Hejda
Hunwick/Zanon
Varlamov/Giguere

Quincey/Shattenkirk
Liles/Hejda
Wilson/O'Byrne
Anderson/Giguere

Net difference: EJ/Hunwick/Zanon/Varlamov vs. Shattenkirk/Quincey/Liles/Anderson?

To me, there's no great difference here either. The current set of defensemen may be a bit better defensively, but they gave up a ton of blueline offensive ability. And Anderson/Varlamov? I don't see much production/play difference there either. I really don't.

------------
Next, prospects:
I don't think they really improved the prospect pool terribly much. Which is better?

2011 1st (11th pick)
Sgarbossa
Connolly

2012 1st (11th pick)
2012 2nd (32nd pick)
2012 2nd (54th pick)

Net difference: The 1sts are a wash, then we have two prospects vs. two 2nd round picks.

I'm not a great person to judge prospects (as I don't get to see them play regularly), but is this some kind of huge advantage? Even given how much prospects get overvalued in this forum? This doesn't seem like a whole lot of improvement either.

-----------
Finally, the team didn't save all that much money or get all that much younger either. The combined (current, after resigning with other teams) salaries of the traded players is around $18M. The combined salaries of the traded-for players is around $15M. Just $3M difference.

And the average age of the traded players is 27.something. The average age of the traded-for players is 26.something.

-----------

Sherman has consistently propped up one part of the team, while weakening another. He hurts the blueline offensive capability and helps the prospect pool with the Liles trade. Then, he solidifies the blueline defense while hurting the blueline offense with the EJ trade, plus he loses his only physical scoring forward. Then he weakens the blueline defense while trying to solve the physical forward issue with the Quincey trade. Then he finally replaces the physical forward problem with the McGinn trade, but hurts the PK. Then he helps the goaltending situation and hurts the prospect pool. Etc, etc, etc.

So in the end, my friend - in my opinion there have been lots of moves, but this is really a treadmill. The team isn't a whole lot better, if they're better at all. It looks very similarly mediocre to me.

Last edited by ABasin: 01-31-2013 at 04:30 PM.
ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Bender,

Next, please follow me on my path here. I don't necessarily have a problem with a number of the players that Sherman has put on the roster via trade: I like EJ (good at many things, though his play near either net still needs improvement), I like Varlamov (his rebound control is the only thing that keeps him from elite status, IMO), and I like McGinn (who doesn't have the hands people think he does, but he does a lot of things well). So, I'm not totally down on the players Sherman has pulled onto the team via trade, but I still don't believe they are really better off as a team.

So. What I'd like to do here is this: let's look at the team they have now, assume all FA signed and let go remain the same, but plug in the traded players in place of the players that are now here, and make an assessment. Cool? BTW, I'm going to bag the Hannan and Wolski trades, since no one from those trades are still with the team. And I'm going to also assume a current healthy team with everyone signed to contracts.

Forwards first. Which of these two lineups is appreciably better?

Jones-Stastny-McGinn
Downie-O'R-Hejduk
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau

Jones-Stastny-Hejduk
Stewart-O'R-Winnik
McLeod-Mitchell-Galiardi

McGinn/Downie/Bordeleau vs. Stewart/Winnik/Galiardi

I don't see a whole lot of difference, really.
-----------
Next, defensemen/goaltenders. Which is better?

Wilson/EJ
O'Byrne/Hejda
Hunwick/Zanon
Varlamov/Giguere

Quincey/Shattenkirk
Liles/Hejda
Wilson/O'Byrne
Anderson/Giguere

EJ/Hunwick/Zanon/Anderson vs. Shattenkirk/Quincey/Liles/Varlamov?

To me, there's no great difference here either. The current set of defensemen may be a bit better defensively, but they gave up a ton of blueline offensive ability. And Anderson/Varlamov? I don't see much production/play difference.
I understand what you mean. You're right for the most part, I guess the only exceptions I'd throw out there are:

* the 1st round pick we got from the Blues which doesn't factor into this since he's still in junior (depends on what he turns into, if he's a top-3 guy, that's pretty huge)
* Sgarbossa, who could turn out to be a pretty good top-6 or top-9 forward. (it's still early but the kid shows a lot of promise for 20 years old)

So with that in mind, IF we're able to add a solid D-man (Siemens) and a top-9 forward to these lineups, all the while getting much younger when you think of AGE trade-offs like Anderson vs Varlamov, it's STILL a positive, in my mind at least.

PLUS, I for one firmly believe that if we don't make the EJ trade or the Anderson-Elliott trade, we probably don't finish 29th and we don't get Landeskog. We end up with a Zibanejad or something like that.

I still get what you mean though. For the short term, we're basically treading water and it's still very possible that neither Siemens or Sgarbossa do anything significant at the NHL level but I wouldn't leave them out completely.

By the way, I'm not trying to be 'right' just further expanding my point of view.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I understand what you mean. You're right for the most part, I guess the only exceptions I'd throw out there are:

* the 1st round pick we got from the Blues which doesn't factor into this since he's still in junior (depends on what he turns into, if he's a top-3 guy, that's pretty huge)
* Sgarbossa, who could turn out to be a pretty good top-6 or top-9 forward. (it's still early but the kid shows a lot of promise for 20 years old)

So with that in mind, IF we're able to add a solid D-man (Siemens) and a top-9 forward to these lineups, all the while getting much younger when you think of AGE trade-offs like Anderson vs Varlamov, it's STILL a positive, in my mind at least.

PLUS, I for one firmly believe that if we don't make the EJ trade or the Anderson-Elliott trade, we probably don't finish 29th and we don't get Landeskog. We end up with a Zibanejad or something like that.

I still get what you mean though. For the short term, we're basically treading water and it's still very possible that neither Siemens or Sgarbossa do anything significant at the NHL level but I wouldn't leave them out completely.

By the way, I'm not trying to be 'right' just further expanding my point of view.
No problem at all. The discussion is appreciated.

I hear what you're saying, but one could say the exact same things about the 11th overall pick they gave up, or the two 2nds, etc. So to me, that's simply a wash. At this point, they're prospects, nothing more. As are the picks that went to the other teams via trade.

I edited my original post, btw, and added stuff at the end.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Have we improved under Sherman?? No?? What year is this with him at the helm?? he should be done.
What GM is going to improve the team when Kroenke wasn't allowing him to spend until the terms of a new CBA were made? Why do you think the team is full of cheap rejects from other teams?

Management has said they would start spending again once the new CBA is in place, so I'm waiting for this off season to make any judgments on moves. Waiting for the CBA may turn out to be the wisest move the Avs have made in the past decade.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Drizzt1

For me, it's weird. On paper, we have what I believe to be a better roster right now. In the standings, it just doesn't seem to compute?

I put that down to:-
+ Better and more improved opposition
+ I LIKE Sacco, but some of his lines / decision making is lets say interesting. Sgarbossa on the 3rd and 4th lines for example. PFFFFT.
+ Lack of chemistry
+ Injuries to key players every year !
+ Unbalanced squad maybe? Maybe a lack if skill? Maybe inexperience?

The positive is, that we DO have an improved roster, and I really believe we need:-
+ O'Reilly to return
+ An awesome Puck Moving defensemen
+ A true blue consistent goal scorer
+ Hejduk retires, and replaced by someone of his class and ability (but of a few years ago).
+ One of our rookie D-man, lets say Elliott to come in and excel.
+ Sgarbossa to excel.
+ Play some D-men that can bring energy, and passion/enthusiasm to the role (Gaunce for example)

Here's my example. I'll be crazy and use say Green, Semin & Hemsky

Semin - Stastny - Hemsky
Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
Sgarbossa - O'Reilly - Downie
Mcginn - Mitchell - Jones

Subban - Johnson
Elliott - Wilson
Gaunce - O'Byrne

Varlamov
Giguere

Now I know we couldn't get the above players, and they were used as excamples, but swap them out with whoever. How do you do that? I have no idea. That's what Sherman is supposed to do. I know this isn't EA's NHL13.

Put aside salaries for a minute. We need those extra three piece to be competitive. I'd actually like one of those new wingers on Stazz wings to be a power forward. Heck maybe a realistic trade could be one involving Penner. I think he'd suit this team much more than LA, who I think he struggles with.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:34 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Management has said they would start spending again once the new CBA is in place, so I'm waiting for this off season to make any judgments on moves.
A very important issue. If the Avs continue to be frugal this offseason, then we all know for sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
A very important issue. If the Avs continue to be frugal this offseason, then we all know for sure.
Whilst my above post is what I would LOVE to occur, this is my honest feelings on what WILL happen will be:

We need to think much, much smaller, as it is more likely. Example (This is what I think we may do next season).

+ Sacco remains
+ We draft (we'll likely finish bottom 2-3) say Seth Jones for this example.
+ We re-sign O'reilly this season
+ Kobasew / O'Byrne isn't re-signed, and Hejduk retires
+ We remain firmly at minimal cap spend
+ IF Sgarbossa does well, we MIGHT move Stastny for a pick, or even to move up in the draft (reduces cap hit to floor)
+ I think the club will over rate Mitchell, and have him perched on our 3rd line, and he along with his line mates won't score
+ No-one will pick up the ridiculous contracts of Hejda, O'Brien or Hunwick, so we are stuck there
+ I think Barrie will flounder, and Elliott will get a chance and do well
+ I think Sacco will love Zanon, because he's an average player, like Sacco was in his years, and he'll start - Hunwick 7th D-man.

Team:-
Landeskog - Duchene - Pareanteau
Sgarbossa - O'Reilly - Downie
Mcginn - Mitchell - Jones
Mcleod - Olver - Bordeleau

Jones - Johnson
Wilson - Elliott
Hejda - Zanon

Varlamov
Giguere

This team, even with a reduced cap, would be close to the cap floor, which will make the Kroenke's happy. Sherman will still think he's doing an A-Class job, and we will continue to get very good, very high draft picks.

This scenario, is much, MUCH more likely

Old
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

I wouldn't fire Sherman, think he have done a fine job. Look at the state of the team he took over.

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
I wouldn't fire Sherman, think he have done a fine job. Look at the state of the team he took over.
Look at it now. We are a basket case. Almost laughable.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I'm a firm believer in that a GM should be able to survive one bad coach and get a second chance hiring one before you cut the plug on the GM. Now if this season continues to be terrible and Sacco is still the coach, I will probably change that opinion. If Sacco is fired in the offseason I am willing to give Sherman another year or two. He hasn't done terrible overall, but he hasn't done great either.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Bender,

So. What I'd like to do here is this: let's look at the team they have now (I'm going to go off the lineup from the other night in Edmonton), assume all FA signed and let go remain the same, but plug in the traded players in place of the players that are now here, and make an assessment. Cool? BTW, I'm going to bag the Hannan and Wolski trades, since no one from those trades are still with the team. And I'm going to also assume a current healthy team with everyone signed to contracts.
I think this is what set back this organization. Wolski was a decently valuable piece at the time and brought back Mueller who had the talent to be a core piece. If we traded for say Bryan Little instead, that does add alot to our team. It would give Stastny a legit top 6 player instead of 4th line Mitchell and David Jones(barely a passable scoring line player). Unfortunately the Fleischmann trade went down the same road and the Downie trade appears to be headed there as well. Some big losses considering their skill levels and the amount skill on our roster today. Does Sherman deserve the blame for that?

Not a fan of what he has done to our defense though. It seems we relied on Barrie/Elliott to be ready for the jump for the past 2 years when they clearly aren't.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Look at it now. We are a basket case. Almost laughable.
Take away any teams 2 best players(referring to RoR and Landeskog) and tell me how they look.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
I've been silent about this team for a long time now. I used to post here regularly. I don't see a lot of familiar faces I previously recognized. Where is Jori_DSF? Where is RoyIsALegend?

Anyhow, I have to gripe about this team. This organization is a complete failure from top to bottom.

First off, ownership has failed to show a significant interest in this team. Where is Josh Kroenke to answer for this team? Who is to answer for if this team fails to make the playoffs again? Is it Greg Sherman? He's as silent as it gets. is it Pierre Lacroix? He's supposed to be retired by now. Who is accountable for this team failing again if it does?

Second, why is there a lack of veteran leadership on this team? Do we really expect Matt Duchene to be the face of the franchise at this point? He's made significant strides in his game. He's much more physical than he ever was. He can be a treat to watch. But, he can't lead this team. Neither can Paul Stastny. Landeskog tries to lead by example. But, he's injured and is still in his sophomore year.

The more I watch this team, the more I realize this roster doesn't believe in itself. Why are the players so timid to start off games? Why is there no killer instinct? The game against The Canucks is a good example. McGinn can't score into an empty net to save his life. Matt Duchene rushes his shot on the break away and gets stoned five hole. No sustained offensive pressure. Team goes into a shell after letting in the first goal. This failure isn't on the collection of players we have. They simply don't have the confidence they can get it done. This failure is on ownership and the GM. There's no one to guide our young talent.

But, our young players can't be completely absolved either. Barrie's got quite a set of hands. But, he's as weak as it gets. He's got no leg strength and can be beat one on one easily.

Coaching is sometimes suspect too. Why is John Mitchell on left wing? Why does Tyson Barrie play the PK?

I have never been so discouraged to watch this team so far. As Sakic said it himself, we were supposed to see progress this year. Instead, I see more of the same. Slow out of the gate. Soft play. Multiple turn overs. Lack of scoring touch in key moments. Is it Groundhog Day yet?

I dare to make a bold proposal though. If I was Greg Sherman, I would offer up O'Reilly, McGinn and Barrie for Ovechkin. Washington needs more heart and soul players and O'Reilly fits the bill of what they're looking for. He's a Dale Hunter type of player who can play with them for many years. Ovechkin is playing on the fourth line and continues to fall out of favour in Washington. He needs a change of scenery. We need a true sniper to bring some confidence to the team. Washington and Colorado have a good relationship. I think a deal like this makes sense. What do you guys think?
I think in the greater picture of things, the Avs have some tough questions to ask themselves. The biggest thing IMO is whether they have the top end players to make a successful cup challenging team. Duchene has looked great this year, but is still a bit of a question mark long term, and even if he is good all year, it's basically half a season, so there's no proof that he can carry it for a full year.

Stastny, who I've always supported, and finally chipped in a couple tonight, is just not a guy to carry a team offensively. He doesn't have the tenacity, and the capability to raise his game in big moment situations. He's a quiet go about his business type, that excels when the focus isn't on him. If they're building a team with him in mind, he'll have to be the #2 center.

O'Reilly well, all other arguments aside, I think we can all agree he'll never be a #1 guy. I'm mildly concerned that he'll hover around the 60 points he got last year on a consistent basis in his career, especially with two other offensive centers taking possible line mates from him. In fact, if I were forced to bet on whether he'll increase his offensive numbers, stay the same, or drop just a bit to around 35-40 points or so most years, I'd probably bet on the latter.

Basically the Avs will probably need to re-evaluate whether they want to build a 3 line team the way they were going. Especially when IMO a guy like Duchene just won't work on that type of team. He needs ice time, he needs top linemates, and he needs to have that role. Otherwise I think we could continue to see the same issues of inconsistency plague him, and he'll for sure never reach his potential.

This all goes without addressing the Avs desperate need for another top pairing defenseman, and someone who can provide some offense, and a good transition game. It's becoming fairly clear that while EJ is a very good all around defenseman, his top end offensive production probably isn't very high, and if he's being relied upon as the only real offensive defenseman on this team, they're in big trouble. If they had another guy like Yandle, which isn't very likely, I think you'd see a whole new team, and even some of the other problems that dont' have anything to do with offense wouldn't kill them in games, because they'd be playing more on their toes than their heels.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote