HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Old
01-31-2013, 02:35 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Or for some idiot to mistake a follow through for a high stick....

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:46 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
As a PacNW citizen, I can honestly say that if the NHL wants to succeed in that region, they're better off going to Portland, rather than Seattle. At least, at first.
Why do you say that? There's no money or hockey culture in Portland. I'm not saying Seattle is an easy choice for a franchise, but it's got a better chance that Portland of giving a team traction.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Poor Kansas City. All this talk about expansion/relocation and I don't see them getting much press at all. They have an arena already built and I'm not sure they have any tenants at all.
Just discussed this morning on XM radio with Paul Kelly, ex-NHLPA exec.. He mentioned that two years ago Pens and Kings played an exhibition game in KC and they couldn't sell out the place.

Kelly's three critical ingredients for an area acquiring a team.
1. Need to have a state of the art facility/arena
2. Area demographics need to support the team
3. Strong ownership/interest

He used those items in his presentation to the Markham City council the other night. Kelly believes that Markham and Quebec City are the two strongest areas for either expansion or relocation, though the disucssion did touch upon Seattle (however indications were that their facility may not be up to snuff to support a NHL team at this time). He pooed pooed KC because of the demographics not being there to support a team (Florida sounds a lot like this to me, the demographics are not just there, too reliant on snow birds).

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Teds Take on Tickets
Quote:
Speaking about digital ticketing:

So, it was a very cold night that opening night. We had two things going on, one was the security system, and it was cold. And someone tweeted a picture of the lines, and the lines were 7 minutes long, but it felt like 20. It was a combination of cold weather and security and implementing the new system. The world is going digital, we want to be digital. The card allows us to do all sorts of good things, like pre-loading money and gifts, we want fans to be able to move tickets more easily to other people. Someone said you're so cheap you didn't wan to print tickets, but we spend the same money and a lot more to implement the digital structure. But I understand, again, why fans, what was right in front of them was that it seemed like they were waiting a long time, and for that, I apologize.
Anyone that can offer up an answer, I am curious, is the wait about 7 minutes? I bet that is on the low end.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just discussed this morning on XM radio with Paul Kelly, ex-NHLPA exec.. He mentioned that two years ago Pens and Kings played an exhibition game in KC and they couldn't sell out the place.

Kelly's three critical ingredients for an area acquiring a team.
1. Need to have a state of the art facility/arena
2. Area demographics need to support the team
3. Strong ownership/interest

He used those items in his presentation to the Markham City council the other night. Kelly believes that Markham and Quebec City are the two strongest areas for either expansion or relocation, though the disucssion did touch upon Seattle (however indications were that their facility may not be up to snuff to support a NHL team at this time). He pooed pooed KC because of the demographics not being there to support a team (Florida sounds a lot like this to me, the demographics are not just there, too reliant on snow birds).
Seattle's getting a new arena.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:57 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Teds Take on Tickets

Anyone that can offer up an answer, I am curious, is the wait about 7 minutes? I bet that is on the low end.
Seems about right actually. Wonder if it's any smoother now.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Teds Take on Tickets

I haven't had to wait yet, but I can see how any little glitch with their equipment could mess it all up.

Im not a fan of the new system. I liked having tickets in my hand. That said, HUGE HUGE cost savings for the team by not printing out those fancy tickets. Sure Ted, there are some initial outlays for the new system, but please don't try to fool us, this will save tons over time. I remember it being brought up by Ted himself in a past season ticketholder advisory board meeting, saying how expensive printing those nice tickets out was....

It is nice that there's no longer a fee to transfer tickets. Used to be just under $2.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The lines were definitely longer when I showed up at the Buffalo game. And it definitely took longer to get through them. That was showing up 10 minutes before puck drop. I'm sure the lines would be minimal if you went earlier.

The digital ticketing system is clearly a money-grab to save on printing and shipping costs. But they print tickets on site anyway. I don't understand why they just wouldn't have printed up similar cheap versions for STH and shipped them out. I doubt anyone would care nearly a much if they'd gotten the generic printed tickets instead of the embossed ones with graphics. And it's beyond annoying that there's only one card per account, rather than one per seat. Make it like a Smarttrip card and have an RFID chip that can be scanned for each seat. Then the system might actually be more convenient.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Only things I can see against an RFID card are that they're more fragile (a bent smartrip card is incredibly annoying to deal with) and the current setup synergizes well with the ability to put a ticket onto a credit card.

Don't like the system though. But I get to games early enough that it doesn't really matter.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The lines were definitely longer when I showed up at the Buffalo game. And it definitely took longer to get through them. That was showing up 10 minutes before puck drop. I'm sure the lines would be minimal if you went earlier.

The digital ticketing system is clearly a money-grab to save on printing and shipping costs. But they print tickets on site anyway. I don't understand why they just wouldn't have printed up similar cheap versions for STH and shipped them out. I doubt anyone would care nearly a much if they'd gotten the generic printed tickets instead of the embossed ones with graphics. And it's beyond annoying that there's only one card per account, rather than one per seat. Make it like a Smarttrip card and have an RFID chip that can be scanned for each seat. Then the system might actually be more convenient.
Did you see you can actually make a normal credit card a temp ticket card? So if your wife is going to the game and she can't print the tickets out, you can temporarily make a CC she has act as a season ticket card to be swiped at the arena.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Did you see you can actually make a normal credit card a temp ticket card? So if your wife is going to the game and she can't print the tickets out, you can temporarily make a CC she has act as a season ticket card to be swiped at the arena.
Right, but I'd have to do it for each game individually and would have to do it in advance. So if I don't know in advance that we'd have to arrive separately and/or don't have internet access to manage the account, it would be quite a hassle.

Having a card for each seat just seems to make a whole lot more sense to me. Have an RFID chip, magnetic strip and barcode on each card in case one of the methods malfunctions. You'd have the seat number printed on the card, so no need for the ushers to print out tickets upon scanning. It just seems the system wasn't really thought through.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:59 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a slight hassle, but also as long as her name is on the account, she can just go to guest services and have them print up the tickets at will call.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
HunterSThompson

The gifting the tickets to an email is a nice way.

Last edited by HunterSThompson: 01-31-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Wasn't paying attention
HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Would it really be that difficult to build a smartphone app for season ticket holders with scannable qr codes and a function to email/text qr tickets to anyone you want?

Yes not everyone has a smartphone but I'd guess that more than 60% of sth do. The remainder could use this card system that doesn't work.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Would it really be that difficult to build a smartphone app for season ticket holders with scannable qr codes and a function to email/text qr tickets to anyone you want?

Yes not everyone has a smartphone but I'd guess that more than 60% of sth do. The remainder could use this card system that doesn't work.
Just like my airline tickets that come to my email and I can scan them at the gate with my phone, but on an app. I like that idea.

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you'll see an app as an option down the road. Right now they have to pick a solution that works for 100% of their fanbase.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's a slight hassle, but also as long as her name is on the account, she can just go to guest services and have them print up the tickets at will call.
They always say that they're not going to do it anymore. Maybe one of these days they'll mean it.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
SlappaDaBass

So what's with the new process? I have tickets that I purchased through stubhub for next Saturday that are the printable type. Do I have to do anything special or can I still go through the line with the printouts and be scanned like a normal ticket?

SlappaDaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappaDaBass View Post
So what's with the new process? I have tickets that I purchased through stubhub for next Saturday that are the printable type. Do I have to do anything special or can I still go through the line with the printouts and be scanned like a normal ticket?
You're fine. The new thing is for Season Ticket Holders.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
sunnydaycrash

Is it just me or is Teddy's monumental website for pre and post game videos complete garbage?
Videos take a bloody long time to load.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
SlappaDaBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Is it just me or is Teddy's monumental website for pre and post game videos complete garbage?
Yes, it's atrocious, why anyone would think redirecting fans from the Capitals actual site to a ****tier site featuring more than just hockey is a good idea, is beyond me. I guess it's just a way for that ****tard to make another penny or two.

SlappaDaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappaDaBass View Post
Yes, it's atrocious, why anyone would think redirecting fans from the Capitals actual site to a ****tier site featuring more than just hockey is a good idea, is beyond me. I guess it's just a way for that ****tard to make another penny or two.
Friggin Teddy, what a putz

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:10 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Don't like it - AT ALL. I'm a little surprised the NHL allows it. If it was duplicated on the NHL site and it was just another place to go to I could understand it. But it's like THE place to go - as someone said away from the Caps web site.

Yes, garbage.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
They always say that they're not going to do it anymore. Maybe one of these days they'll mean it.
What? Really? I've gone there a handful of times over the years to get my tickets printed out (after I forgot them at home). NEVER once have I had an employee suggest it was a favor and was frowned up. That's a service they should and do offer with regularity as far as I know. Show your ID, prove you've got season tickets and presto chango...fresh tickets...

Old
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Zach Hamill traded for Casey Wellman.

Hershey move, AHL vet problem.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote