HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I could see him getting traded at some point, but it is pointess until Galchenyuk is ready to play top 6 minutes(18-20) full time. I think DD still has at least 2 years left here.

People overlook a 60 point season over 82 games becuse of 6 struggling games...gotta love panicking posters.
6 games is enough. DD is not 20, and he is not 37.

Get real. A top 3 center on a contender performs, every game, with any wingers.

That is what defines a contending NHL team. No excuses. Jeez. Did you even see the Habs win cup after cup in the seventies? Or any team win one since?

You cannot carry any player, not one, every single player on the team must be excellent in their position to win cups. ****in hell. I ****in despair.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
pepperMonkey

It's all well and good to try Eller at C with DD on the wing but the prospect of that line working is fairly slim.
At least DD has actually produced at one time in his NHL career...well, in his ONLY full season. Actually he even produced in his rookie half season.
Eller has yet to produce period. I hope to the hockey Gods that he'll start producing but he's looking more and more like those players with tons of potential who never puts it all together.
Now, with DD struggling (it's only been 6 games...really, don't need to start panicking yet), Eller never producing, the idea that it would just work is overly optimistic at best.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post

That is what defines a contending NHL team. No excuses. Jeez. Did you even see the Habs win cup after cup in the seventies? Or any team win one since?

You cannot carry any player, not one, every single player on the team must be excellent in their position to win cups. ****in hell. I ****in despair.
I don't think cups are won in game 6 of a 48 game season with no training camp.

I'm sure the Habs team in the 70's never had anybody go through slumps?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:

Umm...we are no where near a contending team. Even if we get rid of DD and Kabs, we are still far away from being a contending team...
Fact of the matter is, there are several players besides DD that is struggling.
Besides, other than this year (of only 6 games), DD HAS produced with all wingers he played with.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

DD had more or less 30 games played in Switzerland, it's not like he was out of shape or anything.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
bsl

Quote:

Uh, actually, no, Lemaire, Mahovlich and Risebrough never had 'slumps'. One of them had the occasional mediocre game, in otherwise superb seasons. That is why the Habs won cups. Keep making excuses for your little buddy and enjoy it when the 'Ducks' and the 'Wings' and the 'Pens' or whoever win cups. Good on ya mate.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
This convert DD to wing thing. Please. Give it up. In two years, the following wingers have a chance to make this team:

Kristo: Fast as hell, skilled, spirited, decent size,and performing.
Collberg. Playing in the Swedish pros, and performing at 19. Or is it 18.
Hudon: Burning the Q, very good player.
Bozon: Burning the W, very good player.

2 of these guys have a good chance of cracking the top 6 in 2014-15.

Habs will have no room for DD at wing in two years, he is too small to play there, and he will be outperformed by youth at that position.
What difference does it make if 2 years from now some prospect MIGHT be better. If he gives us 2 good years at wing then go for it and make a decision in 2 years when those guys might be ready.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
DD had more or less 30 games played in Switzerland, it's not like he was out of shape or anything.
16 games, still not the same as the NHL game. Plus one of his wingers is on IR and the other didn't play at all during the lock out. No matter how you slice it it's still a month too early to panic on anybody unless they are "mailing it in" which he isn't doing.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Andrei Kostitsyn went through a 400 game slump with us and people still bent over backwards to make excuses for him, up until the moment we traded him. Some are still doing it.

The amount of people who can barely contain their elation now that they can finally bash Desharnais is pathetic.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Uh, actually, no, Lemaire, Mahovlich and Risebrough never had 'slumps'. One of them had the occasional mediocre game, in otherwise superb seasons. That is why the Habs won cups. Keep making excuses for your little buddy and enjoy it when the 'Ducks' and the 'Wings' and the 'Pens' or whoever win cups. Good on ya mate.
Still ridiculous to quote the 1970's. It was freaking over 30 years ago, there are no comparable powerhouses now because all teams are stronger. There are no "easy" games in the 70's the Habs would win by playing 20 minutes and coasting the rest of the way against weak teams like Colorado,St.Louis and KC/Cleveland. With free agency and the cap there is 500% more parity thean back then when players staed with one team their whole careers. No point in comparing.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn went through a 400 game slump with us and people still bent over backwards to make excuses for him, up until the moment we traded him. Some are still doing it.

The amount of people who can barely contain their elation now that they can finally bash Desharnais is pathetic.
Nobody ever proposed that Kostitsyn was an untouchable first liner and wanted to trade every other winger on the team to make room for AK. A team can afford streaky wingers on the 3rd line when nobody else on the team can even dangle the puck. Merely proposing Desharnais experiment with playing on the wings last year was akin to blasphemy.

So if there's an over the top reaction (I wouldn't call it "elation" even from the haters that our so called first line is useless), it comes from a previous one.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...we are no where near a contending team. Even if we get rid of DD and Kabs, we are still far away from being a contending team...
Fact of the matter is, there are several players besides DD that is struggling.
Besides, other than this year (of only 6 games), DD HAS produced with all wingers he played with.
In fact, beginning next year, we will be turning the corner toward contention. If you want to carry weak players and make excuses for them during the next 5 years, the Habs next window to win the cup after 20 years of failing, the 25th Cup, in a 30 team league where the odds of winning the cup every year are 5-1 at best, go right ahead. I don't.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Umm...if we go with no excuses where no one slumps, then we'll need to get rid of EVERYBODY on this team. EVERYONE. Well, I guess the rookies need to go through a slump of 5 games or so before we can make a decision on them. Oh wait, no excuses right? Darn, they slumped last game. Oh well. Guess they must go as well.
Well, guess we should start the fire sale.
Happy now?
No excuses!
Roar!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I'm not bashing DD, I'm talking about our weakness at center, which is blindingly obvious. Way to bring emo to the discussion Thanks for your contribution.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
What difference does it make if 2 years from now some prospect MIGHT be better. If he gives us 2 good years at wing then go for it and make a decision in 2 years when those guys might be ready.
That is true. Has the discussion then come to keep DD for two years, then dump him? OK, fine. I agree. No need for this thread.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...if we go with no excuses where no one slumps, then we'll need to get rid of EVERYBODY on this team. EVERYONE. Well, I guess the rookies need to go through a slump of 5 games or so before we can make a decision on them. Oh wait, no excuses right? Darn, they slumped last game. Oh well. Guess they must go as well.
Well, guess we should start the fire sale.
Happy now?
No excuses!
Roar!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Still ridiculous to quote the 1970's. It was freaking over 30 years ago, there are no comparable powerhouses now because all teams are stronger. There are no "easy" games in the 70's the Habs would win by playing 20 minutes and coasting the rest of the way against weak teams like Colorado,St.Louis and KC/Cleveland. With free agency and the cap there is 500% more parity thean back then when players staed with one team their whole careers. No point in comparing.
Like a 747 flying over your head.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nobody ever proposed that Kostitsyn was an untouchable first liner and wanted to trade every other winger on the team to make room for AK.

Merci.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
16 games, still not the same as the NHL game. Plus one of his wingers is on IR and the other didn't play at all during the lock out. No matter how you slice it it's still a month too early to panic on anybody unless they are "mailing it in" which he isn't doing.
I'm not panicking. Please don't say that I am.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
In fact, beginning next year, we will be turning the corner toward contention. If you want to carry weak players and make excuses for them during the next 5 years, the Habs next window to win the cup after 20 years of failing, the 25th Cup, in a 30 team league where the odds of winning the cup every year are 5-1 at best, go right ahead. I don't.
We may be turning the corner towards contention but that doesn't mean we are any where near contention. DD has been weak for 6 games. We have way more players who have been weak for a lot longer than that.
This has nothing to do with making excuses. The fact of the matter is, we don't have too many good choices right now, and it's only been 6 games. What can we do? Trade DD? Well, that would mean trading last years #1 C for peanuts because he struggled for 6 games. Does that make sense? Err...no. Make Eller C and move DD to the wing? Err...Eller's been struggling for now 150+ games, let alone how many games he played this year, what is the likelihood of that working? ... So...do we just get rid of DD? For nothing? After 6 games? Yeah, sounds like a sound solution to me!
No excuses!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Like a 747 flying over your head.
Your posts are somewhere in space and have little releavancy to the Habs in the NHl in 2013.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Let's wait until Pacioretty returns. He's not getting much support from Cole and Eller.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's wait until Pacioretty returns. He's not getting much support from Cole and Eller.
He played 3 games with Patches and it wasn't any better. This is not a question of who he is playing with it's a question of how he is playing and it's not been good for him so far

Hopefully he can turn things around and last season wasn't simply a fluke year

Old
01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He played 3 games with Patches and it wasn't any better. This is not a question of who he is playing with it's a question of how he is playing and it's not been good for him so far

Hopefully he can turn things around and last season wasn't simply a fluke year
He's too smart for that. If he can't do it here, he will produce somewhere else. I just don't see anyone now who is ready to replace the offensive minutes DD is getting. This would have been the perfect time for eller to step his game up, but he has actually regressed from what we saw last season.

Swapping their positions only means that we get worse in the faceoff dot (do we even? Everyone sucks at FO on this club). I'd go for it anyways to see if Eller can actually produce offensively with two offensive wingers, but honestly I don't see it working.

What surprises me a lot is that DD is getting pushed around way more than I ever saw last season. It might be the style of game we are playing, or DD has forgotten how to evade checks! His size never seemed to be an issue last season...

Old
01-31-2013, 11:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I'm not bashing DD, I'm talking about our weakness at center, which is blindingly obvious. Way to bring emo to the discussion Thanks for your contribution.
I must have struck a nerve, since I wasn't even talking to you. I think your response to my general comment reveals plenty about your position on the subject (not to mention your maturity).

Closed Thread