HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
  #276
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I could see him getting traded at some point, but it is pointess until Galchenyuk is ready to play top 6 minutes(18-20) full time. I think DD still has at least 2 years left here.

People overlook a 60 point season over 82 games becuse of 6 struggling games...gotta love panicking posters.
6 games is enough. DD is not 20, and he is not 37.

Get real. A top 3 center on a contender performs, every game, with any wingers.

That is what defines a contending NHL team. No excuses. Jeez. Did you even see the Habs win cup after cup in the seventies? Or any team win one since?

You cannot carry any player, not one, every single player on the team must be excellent in their position to win cups. ****in hell. I ****in despair.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  #277
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
It's all well and good to try Eller at C with DD on the wing but the prospect of that line working is fairly slim.
At least DD has actually produced at one time in his NHL career...well, in his ONLY full season. Actually he even produced in his rookie half season.
Eller has yet to produce period. I hope to the hockey Gods that he'll start producing but he's looking more and more like those players with tons of potential who never puts it all together.
Now, with DD struggling (it's only been 6 games...really, don't need to start panicking yet), Eller never producing, the idea that it would just work is overly optimistic at best.

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
  #278
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
6 games is enough. DD is not 20, and he is not 37.

Get real. A top 3 center on a contender performs, every game, with any wingers.

That is what defines a contending NHL team. No excuses. Jeez. Did you even see the Habs win cup after cup in the seventies? Or any team win one since?

You cannot carry any player, not one, every single player on the team must be excellent in their position to win cups. ****in hell. I ****in despair.
I don't think cups are won in game 6 of a 48 game season with no training camp.

I'm sure the Habs team in the 70's never had anybody go through slumps?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  #279
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
6 games is enough. DD is not 20, and he is not 37.

Get real. A top 3 center on a contender performs, every game, with any wingers.

That is what defines a contending NHL team. No excuses. Jeez. Did you even see the Habs win cup after cup in the seventies? Or any team win one since?

You cannot carry any player, not one, every single player on the team must be excellent in their position to win cups. ****in hell. I ****in despair.
Umm...we are no where near a contending team. Even if we get rid of DD and Kabs, we are still far away from being a contending team...
Fact of the matter is, there are several players besides DD that is struggling.
Besides, other than this year (of only 6 games), DD HAS produced with all wingers he played with.

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 AM
  #280
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think cups are won in game 6 of a 48 game season with no training camp.

I'm sure the Habs team in the 70's never had anybody go through slumps?
DD had more or less 30 games played in Switzerland, it's not like he was out of shape or anything.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
  #281
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think cups are won in game 6 of a 48 game season with no training camp.

I'm sure the Habs team in the 70's never had anybody go through slumps?
Uh, actually, no, Lemaire, Mahovlich and Risebrough never had 'slumps'. One of them had the occasional mediocre game, in otherwise superb seasons. That is why the Habs won cups. Keep making excuses for your little buddy and enjoy it when the 'Ducks' and the 'Wings' and the 'Pens' or whoever win cups. Good on ya mate.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
  #282
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
This convert DD to wing thing. Please. Give it up. In two years, the following wingers have a chance to make this team:

Kristo: Fast as hell, skilled, spirited, decent size,and performing.
Collberg. Playing in the Swedish pros, and performing at 19. Or is it 18.
Hudon: Burning the Q, very good player.
Bozon: Burning the W, very good player.

2 of these guys have a good chance of cracking the top 6 in 2014-15.

Habs will have no room for DD at wing in two years, he is too small to play there, and he will be outperformed by youth at that position.
What difference does it make if 2 years from now some prospect MIGHT be better. If he gives us 2 good years at wing then go for it and make a decision in 2 years when those guys might be ready.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
  #283
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
DD had more or less 30 games played in Switzerland, it's not like he was out of shape or anything.
16 games, still not the same as the NHL game. Plus one of his wingers is on IR and the other didn't play at all during the lock out. No matter how you slice it it's still a month too early to panic on anybody unless they are "mailing it in" which he isn't doing.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
  #284
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,080
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think cups are won in game 6 of a 48 game season with no training camp.

I'm sure the Habs team in the 70's never had anybody go through slumps?
Andrei Kostitsyn went through a 400 game slump with us and people still bent over backwards to make excuses for him, up until the moment we traded him. Some are still doing it.

The amount of people who can barely contain their elation now that they can finally bash Desharnais is pathetic.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
  #285
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Uh, actually, no, Lemaire, Mahovlich and Risebrough never had 'slumps'. One of them had the occasional mediocre game, in otherwise superb seasons. That is why the Habs won cups. Keep making excuses for your little buddy and enjoy it when the 'Ducks' and the 'Wings' and the 'Pens' or whoever win cups. Good on ya mate.
Still ridiculous to quote the 1970's. It was freaking over 30 years ago, there are no comparable powerhouses now because all teams are stronger. There are no "easy" games in the 70's the Habs would win by playing 20 minutes and coasting the rest of the way against weak teams like Colorado,St.Louis and KC/Cleveland. With free agency and the cap there is 500% more parity thean back then when players staed with one team their whole careers. No point in comparing.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
  #286
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn went through a 400 game slump with us and people still bent over backwards to make excuses for him, up until the moment we traded him. Some are still doing it.

The amount of people who can barely contain their elation now that they can finally bash Desharnais is pathetic.
Nobody ever proposed that Kostitsyn was an untouchable first liner and wanted to trade every other winger on the team to make room for AK. A team can afford streaky wingers on the 3rd line when nobody else on the team can even dangle the puck. Merely proposing Desharnais experiment with playing on the wings last year was akin to blasphemy.

So if there's an over the top reaction (I wouldn't call it "elation" even from the haters that our so called first line is useless), it comes from a previous one.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
  #287
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...we are no where near a contending team. Even if we get rid of DD and Kabs, we are still far away from being a contending team...
Fact of the matter is, there are several players besides DD that is struggling.
Besides, other than this year (of only 6 games), DD HAS produced with all wingers he played with.
In fact, beginning next year, we will be turning the corner toward contention. If you want to carry weak players and make excuses for them during the next 5 years, the Habs next window to win the cup after 20 years of failing, the 25th Cup, in a 30 team league where the odds of winning the cup every year are 5-1 at best, go right ahead. I don't.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
  #288
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Uh, actually, no, Lemaire, Mahovlich and Risebrough never had 'slumps'. One of them had the occasional mediocre game, in otherwise superb seasons. That is why the Habs won cups. Keep making excuses for your little buddy and enjoy it when the 'Ducks' and the 'Wings' and the 'Pens' or whoever win cups. Good on ya mate.
Umm...if we go with no excuses where no one slumps, then we'll need to get rid of EVERYBODY on this team. EVERYONE. Well, I guess the rookies need to go through a slump of 5 games or so before we can make a decision on them. Oh wait, no excuses right? Darn, they slumped last game. Oh well. Guess they must go as well.
Well, guess we should start the fire sale.
Happy now?
No excuses!
Roar!

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
  #289
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn went through a 400 game slump with us and people still bent over backwards to make excuses for him, up until the moment we traded him. Some are still doing it.

The amount of people who can barely contain their elation now that they can finally bash Desharnais is pathetic.
I'm not bashing DD, I'm talking about our weakness at center, which is blindingly obvious. Way to bring emo to the discussion Thanks for your contribution.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
  #290
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
What difference does it make if 2 years from now some prospect MIGHT be better. If he gives us 2 good years at wing then go for it and make a decision in 2 years when those guys might be ready.
That is true. Has the discussion then come to keep DD for two years, then dump him? OK, fine. I agree. No need for this thread.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
  #291
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...if we go with no excuses where no one slumps, then we'll need to get rid of EVERYBODY on this team. EVERYONE. Well, I guess the rookies need to go through a slump of 5 games or so before we can make a decision on them. Oh wait, no excuses right? Darn, they slumped last game. Oh well. Guess they must go as well.
Well, guess we should start the fire sale.
Happy now?
No excuses!
Roar!

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
  #292
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Still ridiculous to quote the 1970's. It was freaking over 30 years ago, there are no comparable powerhouses now because all teams are stronger. There are no "easy" games in the 70's the Habs would win by playing 20 minutes and coasting the rest of the way against weak teams like Colorado,St.Louis and KC/Cleveland. With free agency and the cap there is 500% more parity thean back then when players staed with one team their whole careers. No point in comparing.
Like a 747 flying over your head.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
  #293
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nobody ever proposed that Kostitsyn was an untouchable first liner and wanted to trade every other winger on the team to make room for AK.

Merci.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
  #294
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
16 games, still not the same as the NHL game. Plus one of his wingers is on IR and the other didn't play at all during the lock out. No matter how you slice it it's still a month too early to panic on anybody unless they are "mailing it in" which he isn't doing.
I'm not panicking. Please don't say that I am.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
  #295
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
In fact, beginning next year, we will be turning the corner toward contention. If you want to carry weak players and make excuses for them during the next 5 years, the Habs next window to win the cup after 20 years of failing, the 25th Cup, in a 30 team league where the odds of winning the cup every year are 5-1 at best, go right ahead. I don't.
We may be turning the corner towards contention but that doesn't mean we are any where near contention. DD has been weak for 6 games. We have way more players who have been weak for a lot longer than that.
This has nothing to do with making excuses. The fact of the matter is, we don't have too many good choices right now, and it's only been 6 games. What can we do? Trade DD? Well, that would mean trading last years #1 C for peanuts because he struggled for 6 games. Does that make sense? Err...no. Make Eller C and move DD to the wing? Err...Eller's been struggling for now 150+ games, let alone how many games he played this year, what is the likelihood of that working? ... So...do we just get rid of DD? For nothing? After 6 games? Yeah, sounds like a sound solution to me!
No excuses!

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
  #296
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Like a 747 flying over your head.
Your posts are somewhere in space and have little releavancy to the Habs in the NHl in 2013.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
  #297
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
Let's wait until Pacioretty returns. He's not getting much support from Cole and Eller.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
  #298
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's wait until Pacioretty returns. He's not getting much support from Cole and Eller.
He played 3 games with Patches and it wasn't any better. This is not a question of who he is playing with it's a question of how he is playing and it's not been good for him so far

Hopefully he can turn things around and last season wasn't simply a fluke year

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
  #299
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He played 3 games with Patches and it wasn't any better. This is not a question of who he is playing with it's a question of how he is playing and it's not been good for him so far

Hopefully he can turn things around and last season wasn't simply a fluke year
He's too smart for that. If he can't do it here, he will produce somewhere else. I just don't see anyone now who is ready to replace the offensive minutes DD is getting. This would have been the perfect time for eller to step his game up, but he has actually regressed from what we saw last season.

Swapping their positions only means that we get worse in the faceoff dot (do we even? Everyone sucks at FO on this club). I'd go for it anyways to see if Eller can actually produce offensively with two offensive wingers, but honestly I don't see it working.

What surprises me a lot is that DD is getting pushed around way more than I ever saw last season. It might be the style of game we are playing, or DD has forgotten how to evade checks! His size never seemed to be an issue last season...

Ghetto Sangria is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:28 AM
  #300
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,080
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I'm not bashing DD, I'm talking about our weakness at center, which is blindingly obvious. Way to bring emo to the discussion Thanks for your contribution.
I must have struck a nerve, since I wasn't even talking to you. I think your response to my general comment reveals plenty about your position on the subject (not to mention your maturity).

hototogisu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.