HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks fall to Wild in Shootout (3-2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm starting to lose interest in Bolland as a 2nd line center.

He's not the worst player you could put there, but he's clearly looking like the 3rd wheel on that line to me.
Anybody you put at #2C, outside of acquiring top line talent, will look out of place playing with Kane and Sharp. He looks better than anything we had there last year, including Kane.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:11 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Yeah it's last years data. We haven't had enough of a season for teams to really separate themselves. And of course there are outliers like Montreal, but the fact remains that the teams that go far are always up there. Your LA's, New Yorks, New Jerseys, are all up there.
You need more than one year of data showing a very loose correlation if your analysis is goign to be worth a damn.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
You need more than one year of data showing a very loose correlation if your analysis is goign to be worth a damn.
I would imagine that there has been a correlation over the years. Generally PK and GAA are correlated with success, but I do not think one would have to do an in-depth study to confirm that.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:38 AM
BobbyJet

Oooops wrong thread. About last night’s game:

This was one of those games where you lose but there were a some positives that we can take away (and at least we grabbed a point). Besides the good puck possession we had for most of the game, I think the best parts were Shaw’s improved play and more solid penalty killing. Crawford looked awkward at times but he kept the puck out of the net, when he needed to, late in the game. I hope that continues. On the other hand, a concern that we faced a vulnerable Wild team in the midst of a busy schedule and couldn’t get the 2 points. The 2nd line didn’t have a great night and we made Backstrom look good by our lack of finish… and we took some dumb penalties.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 01-31-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Let him gloat, I measure our performance based on whether or not we could beat a team in a 7 game series. From what I saw tonight we take the Wild in 5 if we have home ice.
Give the Wild some more fresh legs last night and I am not so sure that prediction comes true. Fresh legs would mean the second half of that game looks a lot like the first half.

I thought it was a really good game though. Tough to contain those top lines of the Hawks.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I would imagine that there has been a correlation over the years. Generally PK and GAA are correlated with success, but I do not think one would have to do an in-depth study to confirm that.
The R-squared value of the correlation between PK% and pts from last year's data is 0.146. Would take more work to incorporate more data.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifer View Post
It's good to see you guys doing so well in the season this year, i'm a vancouver fan and i look forward to my team's first real test so far and hopefully we make sure your team loses 2 in a row lol see you on friday
I don't consider a skills competition a loss. It is a tie with the bonus point going to the winner of the SO
I view OT differently.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I ask all of you this: How does it feel to be the least interesting board on HF?

C'mon, Marauder, BobbyJet, Martini - this is what you guys were looking for, step up and take the credit, you've earned it.
What's more interesting about other boards compared to ours?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
What's more interesting about other boards compared to ours?
If anything, the other boards are far more crowded than ours and more cluttered. I like that we have fewer posters, so it's easier to recognize one another.

But that's just me.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Illinihockey

If they are going to do shootouts, regulation/OT wins need to be 3 points, SO 2 points, OTL 1 point.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Pretty much. You don't need to be a statistician to see the relationship. Just showing some supporting evidence on why this Hawks team is a big improvement over the past two years.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
If anything, the other boards are far more crowded than ours and more cluttered. I like that we have fewer posters, so it's easier to recognize one another.

But that's just me.
I agree with you. The only thing I do like about a lot of other teams boards are there GDTs. We still have the best team board though!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

I find this board functions much better when I do not have to read the M-man's posts. It saves a great deal of frustration.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
I don't consider a skills competition a loss. It is a tie with the bonus point going to the winner of the SO
I view OT differently.
Yeah....it's 1 extra point. But not even a ROW.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
hockeydoug

I liked the pt, I really liked the pk, and I liked the 3rd period play overall. Losing a shootout didn't bug me too much, especially on the road. Hawks did the same thing to Wings on their 3rd game in 4 days.

Not too many things that bugged me last night. I was a little concerned about seeing all the minutes by Keith and Seabrook again. I thought there were a few more opportunities to get the 3rd pair out there. As Bolland continues to get killed in the circle, I'm starting to get a little more impatient with him at center. He was 1-8 against Koivu and Cullen. Too many wasted shifts for his wings skating around without the puck.

Overall, things still looking better than I had hoped 7 games in. Still very early.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
puterwiz53

The only thing that really bugged me last night was the fact that the Hawks lose far too many face offs in their own end. The Hawks need a 3rd or 4th line center who can win a decent amount of face offs. Shaw is much better suited on the wing. The Hawks two biggest weaknesses are at center and grittiness.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Terrible games by Kane, Sharp, Bolland, and Frolik. .
Outside of his penalty not sure what your talking about

Another great night on PK and had a few chances late (One setup by Saad in OT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm starting to lose interest in Bolland as a 2nd line center.

He's not the worst player you could put there, but he's clearly looking like the 3rd wheel on that line to me.
Totally agree

Not to mention that line gets trapped in there own zone often

And really outside of game vs Coyotes the line hasn't been all that impressive

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 01-31-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Totally agree

Not to mention that line gets trapped in there own zone often

And really outside of game vs Coyotes the line hasn't been all that impressive
Kings game...

Old
01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If they are going to do shootouts, regulation/OT wins need to be 3 points, SO 2 points, OTL 1 point.
You mean shoot out loss-1 point, not overtime loss-1.

Since you've given 3 points for an overtime win, you can't give a 4th point for an overtime loss.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Kings game...
Had no real impact on that game at all

Hossa line was big as was 4th line that day

Old
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I ****ing hated when there were like 4 or 5 columns for the standings. I'm fine with it the way it is. If teams want to be good at the shootout, they can acquire a player or two that specializes in them. If not, well, you made your choice.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Had no real impact on that game at all

Hossa line was big as was 4th line that day
From what I remember they were flying all over the place and spent a lot of time in the Kings zone. I could be wrong I suppose.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
clydesdale line

Backstrom is still pretty terrible in shootouts (All three guys beat him, Kane just couldn't elevate the puck and Sharp was an inch away from tying it) but it shouldn't of come that far. Still though you take a point out of this and move on. I'll give props to the Minny coach who made the goalie change. I was shocked he pulled Harding so quickly, but obviously it was a good move.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Outside of his penalty not sure what your talking about

Another great night on PK and had a few chances late (One setup by Saad in OT)
Thought Frolik had a good game, as well.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
Backstrom is still pretty terrible in shootouts (All three guys beat him, Kane just couldn't elevate the puck and Sharp was an inch away from tying it) but it shouldn't of come that far. Still though you take a point out of this and move on. I'll give props to the Minny coach who made the goalie change. I was shocked he pulled Harding so quickly, but obviously it was a good move.
2 goals on 4 shots, with both goals being pretty basic textbook saves is reason enough to pull a tender. Harding was having a real tough time against you guys right off the bat.

I have to say, Crawford's desperation save while diving to his right was very nice. From what I saw before and after our series 2 years ago, Crawford seemed very robotic and stoic in his movements/save selections. Glad to see he's getting the fight into him.

I'm guessing you guys are going to be starting Crawford on Friday? Were still not too sure who we're starting.

Closed Thread