HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Dagistitsyn

vCash: 500
Lol anyone catch the Phoenix announcers trying to blame Morris's roid rage rampage after the OT goal on Yakupov's "celebration"? They were going on "Oh yeah I'm not a fan of that, Yakupov better get out of there right now" ..

Morons. OT game winning goal,barely celebrated. Everyone celebrates goals. SMH.

Nice goal anyways, bats it out of the air again.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Also I really hope the Leafs lose to Washington, getting embarrassed by such a crappy team would be great after they've been chirping us about our schedule.
Actually, we should be hoping the Leafs beat the Caps. There's no way TOR makes the playoffs in my mind with their current roster, WSH still has the tools to get there. Add in the fact we want TOR to finish far away from the bottom for draft reasons.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 01-31-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A lot of it's coaching but that team always seems to take one step back as soon as it takes one step forward.

What happened to Statsny? 5 SOG today so I assume he's been decent but he's done nothing of note all season, and seems to get worse every year. To think people here wanted to trade Plekanec+ for him last year.

Also O'Byrne is not having a good year, to say the least..but the same can be said about every blueliner on that team.
Colorado was running a pure offense system for a while that inflated everyone's numbers and made them look better on a stat sheet than they actually were. Stasney, Stewart and Duchane were all notable beneficiaries.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I always liked the Oilers to be honest but their fans so far this year have been so annoying that I hope they finish 9th
Gonna be fun when they have their "big" 4 and Shultz making $6M a year in the not to distant future and they'll have to fill out the rest of their roster with scrubs..

Old
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Ottawa Senators ‏@NHL_Sens
"Jason Spezza is out indefinitely. Will have back surgery in Toronto on Friday." - #Sens GM Bryan Murray

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I always liked the Oilers to be honest but their fans so far this year have been so annoying that I hope they finish 9th
I'm not one to usually buy into stereotypes but I can tell you that I've met a lot of Canadians over the years here in Denver and could never really hit it off with people from Alberta. I'm usually friendly and eager to learn about people wherever they are from but they always left me with an impression of arrogance. They're also the most far-right people I met, on par with people from Texas. And I'm not talking about a small sample because they are here in huge numbers because of the oil&gas industry and they all bring their kids to the local rinks.

Mostly everyone else I know is either from Montreal, Winnipeg or the Toronto area so I don't know if it's an East Coast vs West Coast thing but it's always very uncomfortable for some reason. One guy made his disgust of the "rest of Canada" pretty clear to me recently. That was pretty shocking to hear and I won't get into it here because it was very political and couldn't be any farther from my values or the truth for that matter.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Ottawa Senators ‏@NHL_Sens
"Jason Spezza is out indefinitely. Will have back surgery in Toronto on Friday." - #Sens GM Bryan Murray
That's a huge blow to them, maybe they could use a Desharnais or Eller

Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Actually, we should be hoping the Leafs beat the Caps. There's no way TOR makes the playoffs in my mind with their current roster, WSH still has the tools to get there. Add in the fact we want TOR to finish far away from the bottom for draft reasons.
They're at .500 right now though and I'd rather they stay slightly below that than slightly above it. If them and BUF win tonight then our division starts to become too close for comfort.

The next 5 games will be huge for us.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Willie Mitchell's agent, Mike Luit, suggested that his client has suffered a setback in his attempt to return from a knee injury.
"…In an effort to return as soon as possible, he over-committed to his rehab and the knee did not respond in kind," Luit said. "As is the case sometimes, this causes swelling and other irritation to the joint. The result is the rehab is pushed back and the athlete has to accept that he must allow the injured area to calm down and start back at a slower pace. Of course, given the circumstances of this season, this frustrates everyone; Willie more than anyone else." What makes this weird is that Mitchell recently underwent an MRI and Kings GM Dean Lombardi said it revealed "no structural damage and no setback." Kings coach Darryl Sutter also voiced his frustration over the situation and said that he can't explain Mitchell's absence because he's not "a doctor or a psychologist."

Old
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lol anyone catch the Phoenix announcers trying to blame Morris's roid rage rampage after the OT goal on Yakupov's "celebration"? They were going on "Oh yeah I'm not a fan of that, Yakupov better get out of there right now" ..

Morons. OT game winning goal,barely celebrated. Everyone celebrates goals. SMH.

Nice goal anyways, bats it out of the air again.
It was one of the more reserved celebrations you'd see. Nonetheless, hilarious...basically him going 'Look I socre, Hugs me. Hugs me everyone.'

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Willie Mitchell's agent, Mike Luit, suggested that his client has suffered a setback in his attempt to return from a knee injury.
"…In an effort to return as soon as possible, he over-committed to his rehab and the knee did not respond in kind," Luit said. "As is the case sometimes, this causes swelling and other irritation to the joint. The result is the rehab is pushed back and the athlete has to accept that he must allow the injured area to calm down and start back at a slower pace. Of course, given the circumstances of this season, this frustrates everyone; Willie more than anyone else." What makes this weird is that Mitchell recently underwent an MRI and Kings GM Dean Lombardi said it revealed "no structural damage and no setback." Kings coach Darryl Sutter also voiced his frustration over the situation and said that he can't explain Mitchell's absence because he's not "a doctor or a psychologist."
Paging Dr Recchi

Old
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
It was one of the more reserved celebrations you'd see. Nonetheless, hilarious...basically him going 'Look I socre, Hugs me. Hugs me everyone.'
That's entertainment. I love it.

As for the muckraking media or players who get offended by such things, I look forward to the day when the last "purist" dies and we can get on with progress.

The Ovechkins, Yakupov's and PK Subbans are needed.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Pittsburgh claimed Boychuk and Toronto claimed F. McLaren.

Orr isn't enough for Toronto? Puzzling move.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
That's entertainment. I love it.

As for the muckraking media or players who get offended by such things, I look forward to the day when the last "purist" dies and we can get on with progress.

The Ovechkins, Yakupov's and PK Subbans are needed.
But not wanted, it seems. The media has already beaten the personality out of Ovechkin, and it looks like it's probably done/doing the same to Subban after all this holdout hysteria. They're both finding out that it's easier to shut up and do/say what's expected of you than to have any kind of differing personality. Yakupov will be next, I'm sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
But not wanted, it seems. The media has already beaten the personality out of Ovechkin, and it looks like it's probably done/doing the same to Subban after all this holdout hysteria. They're both finding out that it's easier to shut up and do/say what's expected of you than to have any kind of differing personality. Yakupov will be next, I'm sure.
The "media" Ovechkin mainly deals with is the Washington media, who prop him up as if he is God and loves everything he does to death; go to Capitals Insider and DC Sports Bog on the Washington Post and you won't see ANY negativity about Ovechkin from the press. Although, RGIII has quickly supplanted him now since the Redskins have a much bigger following. Guys like Don Cherry and co. are COMPLETE blips on the radar to Washington Capitals fans and mediaand dissed immediately. Ovechkin has "chilled out" because he's gotten complacent yet is still trys to play like it is 2008 (still doing 1-on-4s), not because he's been listening to Don Cherry.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
The "media" Ovechkin mainly deals with is the Washington media, who prop him up as if he is God and loves everything he does to death; go to Capitals Insider and DC Sports Bog on the Washington Post and you won't see ANY negativity about Ovechkin from the press. Although, RGIII has quickly supplanted him now since the Redskins have a much bigger following. Guys like Don Cherry and co. are COMPLETE blips on the radar to Washington Capitals fans and mediaand dissed immediately. Ovechkin has "chilled out" because he's gotten complacent yet is still trys to play like it is 2008 (still doing 1-on-4s), not because he's been listening to Don Cherry.
I think that's patently false. On a day-to-day basis, yes, but on a bigger scale, Ovechkin is easily the second most talked about hockey player in the world since the lock out, with only Crosby ahead of him. You don't think that has any effect after dealing with it for almost 10 years?

I'm not saying it has anything to do with his play - I don't think him being complacent has anything to do with it. You could argue he's "matured" but either way, I'd still hold true to my original belief that the NHL and the media covering it (and certainly some fans) don't want "personalities", they want the same quotes and interviews and on-ice celebrations they've been accustomed to for decades now. Eventually these "personalites" realize you get less negative attention and have to answer fewer stupid questions when you act like everyone else on your team.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
when having personnality is more important then producing on the ice...

Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
No, they don't. Their wingers are mostly full of suck.

From their last game.
Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb

Wolski-Backstrom-Brouwer

Chimera-Ribeiro-Ward

Hendricks-Perreault-Fehr

Alzner-Green

Erskine-Carlson

Schultz-Kundratek

Ribiero, Backstrom, and Ovechkin are their only forwards who are consistent producers, and no, you can't put all three of them together because two are natural centers. The rest of them, you can expect anywhere between grinder-like production to .5 PPG production from at best. Green produces points, but is about as stupid as Chris Campoli when it comes to defending in his own end.

With the coach throwing out lines like these, you can tell they will be lucky to make it out of the first round of the playoffs. The deadly duo of Ovechkin and Backstrom is broken up so some guy named Jay Beagle can do just enough so OV doesn't suck.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

In Soviet Russia, refs fights you!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
I think that's patently false. On a day-to-day basis, yes, but on a bigger scale, Ovechkin is easily the second most talked about hockey player in the world since the lock out, with only Crosby ahead of him. You don't think that has any effect after dealing with it for almost 10 years?

I'm not saying it has anything to do with his play - I don't think him being complacent has anything to do with it. You could argue he's "matured" but either way, I'd still hold true to my original belief that the NHL and the media covering it (and certainly some fans) don't want "personalities", they want the same quotes and interviews and on-ice celebrations they've been accustomed to for decades now. Eventually these "personalites" realize you get less negative attention and have to answer fewer stupid questions when you act like everyone else on your team.
Ovechkin will not hear or see a good 90% of what is spoken about him on Sportscenter, NHL Network, and the newspapers because I doubt he dedicates THAT much time for that.

If anyone is responsible for reining him in, it's probably his coaches and teammates because they actually interact with him on a daily basis. And he still cooked up some new celebrations, like the "belly pat" and putting his hand in a "I can't hear you" pose to Rangers fans. The swagger is still there, although not as brazen as the "stick on fire" celebration that pissed off Don Cherry.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Et le But

Ovechkin has lost a lot of his clout since the Nationals and Redskins started not sucking. He's no longer the darling of DC sports, and the public is starting to turn on him.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Ovechkin will not hear or see a good 90% of what is spoken about him on Sportscenter, NHL Network, and the newspapers because I doubt he dedicates THAT much time for that.

If anyone is responsible for reining him in, it's probably his coaches and teammates because they actually interact with him on a daily basis. And he still cooked up some new celebrations, like the "belly pat" and putting his hand in a "I can't hear you" pose to Rangers fans. The swagger is still there, although not as brazen as the "stick on fire" celebration that pissed off Don Cherry.
Funny how that was in celebration of his 50th goal.... I wonder if being himself has anything to do with playing well. Shocking discoveries!!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Pittsburgh claimed Boychuk and Toronto claimed F. McLaren.

Orr isn't enough for Toronto? Puzzling move.
Sounds to me like the Leafs are tanking and need something to entertain the fans with.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...g-overdue.html

Old
01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Best Super Bowl commercial ever