HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner

Old
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov should be a line IMHO, tons of speed and energy.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Way too soon for this stuff guys.

Oilers always start off pretty good. I'm not going to make any judgements until 15~20 games into the season.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Mr Sakich

Gagner's improved play was pretty predictable. He worked very hard on his skating last off season and started well before suffering an ankle injury.

He may look like he is working harder but he is just faster. This allows him to be more involved in all areas and his improved productivity is a natural result.

If he can keep this level of speed up, this is the real Sam Gagner and that is not too bad.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Fourier

Another very good game last night.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Way too soon for this stuff guys.

Oilers always start off pretty good. I'm not going to make any judgements until 15~20 games into the season.
That's half the season. Lol.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Gagner's improved play was pretty predictable. He worked very hard on his skating last off season and started well before suffering an ankle injury.

He may look like he is working harder but he is just faster. This allows him to be more involved in all areas and his improved productivity is a natural result.

If he can keep this level of speed up, this is the real Sam Gagner and that is not too bad.
I agree completely about Gagner. His increased speed is noticeable. Nice that he got off to a fast start this year.

The only thing that would be holding him back for the long-term with the Oilers is simply his size.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Six in O6

I like him a lot this year. He looks faster, more focused and much better defensively. I still think he has a pretty soft shot, but he is finding ways to get the puck through and it's causing a lot of trouble for opposing teams. I like his game so far! I'd love it if he finally broke 50 pts, but with the shortened season that would be really impressive.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Eskimo44

I really don't think Gagner is all that faster. I think people are just having the veil lifted from over their eyes. Most of the things people are praising him are skills some posters were arguing last season were developing. Most criticisms of Gagner were due to needing a scapegoat and impatience. The start he's having really shouldn't be all that suprising.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I like him a lot this year. He looks faster, more focused and much better defensively. I still think he has a pretty soft shot, but he is finding ways to get the puck through and it's causing a lot of trouble for opposing teams. I like his game so far! I'd love it if he finally broke 50 pts, but with the shortened season that would be really impressive.
He'll end up with 40 points and people will criticsize him as having continued to plateau'd and being only a 40 point center. I've been told many times ppg doesn't matter (right IATL), so unfortuanatly we are most likely stuck with another season of an unimproved Gagner. I really don't understand the significance of reaching an arbitrary point total like 50...

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
okgooil

He is really looking solid, I keep thinking he looks like a vet out there. I would lock him up to a 4.5 mill year long term deal. hopefully he would take a discount and go for 4 mill per year long term.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Joe Hallenback

If he ends up with 40 points in 48 games I would say that is a very successful season.

Gagners problem has been consistency over his career. We all know he can go stretches were he is producing but he also has had stretches were he completely disappears. If he couldn't play quality defensive minutes and he isn't producing then that is a pretty big liability.

So far he has come into this season with a good solid defensive approach and it hasn't really affected his offensive game at all. What I would like to see is for him to keep it up for another good stretch of games.

It is obvious to everyone the Oilers are saying this is either the year you prove you belong or we will move you. I guess he wants to stay

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I really don't think Gagner is all that faster. I think people are just having the veil lifted from over their eyes. Most of the things people are praising him are skills some posters were arguing last season were developing. Most criticisms of Gagner were due to needing a scapegoat and impatience. The start he's having really shouldn't be all that suprising.
He wasn't slow last year. People just like to parrot the myth that he can't skate. He's not fast like Hall or Yakupov, but he's quick on his feet similar to an Eberle.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
alexo

Gagner always performs this well January and beyond.. what are you guys talking about?

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:59 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
It's going to really suck if we trade him, because we'll have to put up with all the fans of wherever he goes who currently think he's on Omarks level realizing that he's a damn good player and pointing it out every 5 seconds

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Aerchon

Had his best game of the year last night. Nice to see.

He was cheating defensively too much in other games so far.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
He is really looking solid, I keep thinking he looks like a vet out there. I would lock him up to a 4.5 mill year long term deal. hopefully he would take a discount and go for 4 mill per year long term.
I think at this point I'd prefer them to re-sign Gagner long-term at something like 4M per and look either for a big 2C (Getzlaf would be ideal) or a big top 6 winger (Horton, Morrow, Clowe) and determine Gagner's position based on what kind of player can be acquired in the off-season.
Once the hole is filled, Hemsky can be traded.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Bingo. Couldn't say it better.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
alexo

Always been a big fan of Gagner, so it's good to see him off to a great start so far. As big of a fan as I am, I've never been so strong on his feet in previous years. By that, I don't mean improved skating, but I mean improved balance and strength. He's also a gritty little ******* in front of the net now, which is exactly what his line needs. Shooter... passer... gritty net guy. Now if he could just hone his defensive skills a bit more...

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
awesomo
HARD!

hes a little quicker, IMO. But i wouldnt be that surprised if he had similar quickness last year. He just had that ankle injury after spendign the entire summer working on skating.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Hoping to see him consistently put up 8 points per game

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

My wife brought up something I didn't realize.

Gagner has to work twice as hard this year to make sure he gets his 40 points.

Hahaha

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote