HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Ya I feel as if our roster is filled out now, once everyone is back we have a surplus.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Malhotra-Lapierre
Weise, Volpatti, Ebbett

Garrison-Bieksa
Hamhuis-Edler
Ballard-Tanev
Barker, Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

In our bottom 6 F, we essentially have 3 guys that could step into our top 6. Our entire 4th line consists of legit 3rd liners, if you ask me. Then on defense, if Tanev and Ballard continue their play, we have 6 top 4 defensemen. Back that up with two #1 goalies and I'd say our depth is more than adequate.

Unless Gillis is going to make a big splash to acquire an upgrade in the top 6 F, I don't want him trading picks this year. It's a deep draft, I'd sure love to find some gems in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
dave babych returns

Bleach Clean I was more using your comment as an opportunity to point out just how little Gillis has squandered at the deadline (unlike his predecessors) than disagreeing with the point you were(n't ) making.

And really before Pahlsson we'd never truly 'rented' a player at the trade deadline.

I think this is going to be a difficult time for the Canucks in that the cap ceiling might well cost them the depth they've built up over the past three or four seasons (and there isn't a large group of prospects in the cupboard).

That being said I'm not expecting the Canucks organization to fundamentally change their expectations about on ice performance; I think the Luongo trade is probably being planned on to address some organizational shortcomings (either the small number of NHL-ready prospects for next year or the lack of a sure thing type of gamebreaker in the system .. probably the former) and then Gillis will have to find a way to address the rest over the next couple of seasons.

In my opinion he hasn't given us much reason to expect that he won't, although I am aware that a few posters are only too happy to disagree.

Anyway I'm now veering sharply away from subject matter appropriate to the "prospect thread" so I'll leave it there.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
based on what i seen from him on for the wolves. I say so. Connauton for sure ahead of him. Suave has been crap this season though but i still have him with better potential. either way all these guys are 6-7 at best when it comes to NHL and have small margin to make the Canucks any time soon.
Connauton has been awful. Not sure what you're seeing that makes you think he'll be an NHL player.

His shot is good, but that's it. He's not going to make it as a top4 with only a good shot, and the Canucks will be more likely to give a chance on the bottom pairing, or as a 7/8, to D who are more rounded overall.

Last edited by 14s incisor: 01-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
but.. but... it's Torsdag
Now it's Torsdag!! How's Jensen's shoulder I wonder?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
YogiCanucks

It's Torsdag, Torsdag, Jensen's gonna score on Torsdag..

Old
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Now it's Torsdag!! How's Jensen's shoulder I wonder?
Still not good, he won't play in todays game either.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Son of a b!

Old
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Has 15 goals. Just left his team (or will leave his team in the near future) for like 3 days to play some games for Denmark to try and help them qualify for the Olympics.
Feels like he's been playing everywhere in the past year. The OHL, Denmark, AHL, Sweden, Denmark again... good for the experience though! Hope his shoulder recovers soon.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You sure? There wasn't much of an epic meltdown on the 2007 draft by the Canucks, which is one of the worst i've ever seen by any team.
I seem to remember there was, not that I ever read those threads too carefully. The White pick was almost universally disliked, both due to passing on Perron and not really ever hearing about him as a prospect before the draft. He was a huge unknown.

I definitely recall that the Ellington selection was absolutely loathed by everyone. It may not have mattered anyways as 2007 looks like a weak draft in hindsight, but Ellington was a disaster of a pick as an early second rounder. No upside whatsoever.

After that it is hard for the majority of fans to judge anything in the later rounds.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:50 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Bring him home! Bubble wrap him.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Tiranis

The K-Wings seem to have a bit of trouble scoring lately, but Mallet has started to shoot more which is a positive since the goals should start coming soon as a result. Had 5 shots in the game last night and also a quick fight:

Don't think anyone really landed any punches, maybe a few small ones by Mallet and then the takedown.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
The K-Wings seem to have a bit of trouble scoring lately, but Mallet has started to shoot more which is a positive since the goals should start coming soon as a result. Had 5 shots in the game last night and also a quick fight:

Don't think anyone really landed any punches, maybe a few small ones by Mallet and then the takedown.
Looks like the punch before the takedown gets the guy in the temple

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Looks like the punch before the takedown gets the guy in the temple
Definitely landed.

He's a skilled fighter. Let's see some production now.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:43 PM
BerSTUzzi

I think we'll sign Honzik, the kid is getting peppered every night (40 shots in 2 periods tonight) and has been improving his numbers.

With Victoriaville he was a 3.50 GAA .885 on a team that had an average D but was top 4 in the league. This year he's 3.76 and .884 now on a team that cannot even start a full lineup( only 11 forwards).

Old
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Iceberg Slim

According to a report today, Canucks 2012 6th round pick Wesley Myron has left BU to pursue professional hockey:

Quote:
Freshman Wesley Myron has left the BU hockey program, according to a report.

According to a report on the Boston Hockey Blog by Kevin Dillon, and confirmed by a release sent out by the school freshman forward Wesley Myron has left the Boston University hockey program to pursue professional hockey opportunities.

The Victoria, BC native is a 2012 sixth round draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks. He had been in and out of the line-up this year, scoring 2 goals and 1 assist in 21 games for the Terriers.
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ersity-program

Old
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
jigsaw99

^ He going to WHL?

Old
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
^ He going to WHL?
He can a few months as an overager, but that doesn't seem that likely this late in the year. More likely ECHL or something like that.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I think we'll sign Honzik, the kid is getting peppered every night (40 shots in 2 periods tonight) and has been improving his numbers.

With Victoriaville he was a 3.50 GAA .885 on a team that had an average D but was top 4 in the league. This year he's 3.76 and .884 now on a team that cannot even start a full lineup( only 11 forwards).
I was so happy when I looked at the Q box scores last night and he wasn't in net for the 8-0 loss to PEI.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I was so happy when I looked at the Q box scores last night and he wasn't in net for the 8-0 loss to PEI.
No he's kept it to a 2-1 game so far...38 saves after 2 periods is ridiculous.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
thefeebster

Wow, he would have gotten a good chance in the top 6 next season!

Here's some more info:

Quote:
Myron, who had recorded two goals and an assist in 21 games with the No. 9/11 Terriers, was a healthy scratch for two games before returning to the lineup against Providence College Saturday. BU coach Jack Parker said he did not plan on having Myron in the lineup for Friday night’s game at the University of Massachusetts or the first round of the Beanpot Monday night.

“I don’t think Wes has distinguished himself as ‘He has to be in the lineup.’” Parker said Thursday. “He hasn’t made the jump that, say, [freshman forward Matt Lane] has … He hasn’t played at the pace we need him to play at.”

The Victoria, British Columbia, native had impressed Parker earlier in the season, though. Parker consistently praised his performance and even started him on the first line against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Jan. 4 when senior captain Wade Megan was injured.

“He’s a smart player,” Parker said on Jan. 17. “He can play wing or center. I wanted to give him a chance to play with some better players and play with some different players, play on some power play. Actually I thought he played the best when he was there.”
http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...ckey-team.html

Old
02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Iceberg Slim

Here's the blog entry (The Boston Hockey Blog) with a bit more info on Myron's departure:

Quote:
Wesley Myron leaves BU hockey team
By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

Yet another player has left the Boston University men’s hockey team, as the team announced Friday afternoon freshman forward Wesley Myron left the program.

According to the team release, Myron will attempt to begin a professional career in hockey. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound forward was drafted in the sixth round (177th overall) of the 2012 NHL draft by the Vancouver Canucks.

Myron, who had recorded two goals and an assist in 21 games with the No. 9/11 Terriers, was a healthy scratch for two games before returning to the lineup against Providence College Saturday. BU coach Jack Parker said he did not plan on having Myron in the lineup for Friday night’s game at the University of Massachusetts or the first round of the Beanpot Monday night.

“I don’t think Wes has distinguished himself as ‘He has to be in the lineup.’” Parker said Thursday. “He hasn’t made the jump that, say, [freshman forward Matt Lane] has … He hasn’t played at the pace we need him to play at.”

The Victoria, British Columbia, native had impressed Parker earlier in the season, though. Parker consistently praised his performance and even started him on the first line against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Jan. 4 when senior captain Wade Megan was injured.

“He’s a smart player,” Parker said on Jan. 17. “He can play wing or center. I wanted to give him a chance to play with some better players and play with some different players, play on some power play. Actually I thought he played the best when he was there.”

Myron is the third player to leave the program by choice in the middle of the season over the past two seasons. Forward Yasin Cissé left the program in December to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and forward Charlie Coyle left the team for the QMJHL in December 2011.

Myron is also the third forward to leave BU in six months. In addition to Cissé, Justin Courtnall decided to forgo his senior season and sign with the Providence Bruins.

The departures leave BU a bit short up front. Walk-on Jake Moscatel, who has dressed in four games this season, could be forced into action again. Parker said senior assistant captain Ryan Ruikka will be the fourth-line right wing Friday vs. UMass.
http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/

EDIT: looks like "thefeebster" was quicker on the draw ^ ^

Last edited by Iceberg Slim: 02-01-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: duplicate quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
He can a few months as an overager, but that doesn't seem that likely this late in the year. More likely ECHL or something like that.
Maybe back to the BCHL?

Glad he's not leaving in the same vein as the last few guys to leave.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim View Post
According to a report today, Canucks 2012 6th round pick Wesley Myron has left BU to pursue professional hockey:

forgot this kid is 20

Old
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim View Post

Wow, what a terrible decision.

There's no way we sign him right now, and he only has like 20 games of CHL eligibility as an overage player, at a point where all teams pretty much have their overage slots sorted. So probably has no options there.

As a guy who is a fringe-y college player right now, he won't even be able to compete in the ECHL. Headed for some rung lower than that.

Absolute idiocy. He might not have been playing much right now, but would have had 4 years at a great college program to develop, with an NHL team overseeing the process. Now he's cast himself into the hockey wilderness and is a total write-off. Career suicide.

Disappointing. Doesn't speak much for his character, either.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Wow, what a terrible decision.

There's no way we sign him right now, and he only has like 20 games of CHL eligibility as an overage player, at a point where all teams pretty much have their overage slots sorted. So probably has no options there.

As a guy who is a fringe-y college player right now, he won't even be able to compete in the ECHL. Headed for some rung lower than that.

Absolute idiocy. He might not have been playing much right now, but would have had 4 years at a great college program to develop, with an NHL team overseeing the process. Now he's cast himself into the hockey wilderness and is a total write-off. Career suicide.

Disappointing. Doesn't speak much for his character, either.
Tell us how you really feel.

University isn't for everyone.

Closed Thread