HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of E.Johnson?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I was thinking about him the other day. When he was drafted he looked like he could be one of the best D man in NHL history. Seems like the NHL world has forgetten about him, yet he still looks dam good every time I see him. Do you guys stillt think he has tons of upside?
EJ is good. No doubt.

But his trade value is miles higher than people can imagine. Why? Simply because Avs doesn't have anyone else who can even be considered a top 4 defenseman. Avs have the 30th best defenseman-core in the league according to me.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
cgf

I still think that EJ can be as dominant as any dman in the NHL if he ever gets a good, smart and reliable partner that frees him up. We see glimpses of it when EJ gets mad or just says **** it we need some offense, he's incredible then and a force all over the ice. As he keeps maturing and gets some help we'll see that dominant side more regularly where he's not just a great defensive guy, but an all around force. If it ever gets to the point where we're seeing that side regularly he'll win a couple norris' but I doubt he ever gets to that point.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
If he had a good big shot instead of a bad big shot, more people would like him. Now most of his obvious fumbles comes when he tries to shoot.

He shoots hard, but he shoots awful. Often he shoots into a blocking player or high and wide.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
finds71

EJ with the Sharks or even the Wings would be a Norris contender.

finds71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If he had a good big shot instead of a bad big shot, more people would like him. Now most of his obvious fumbles comes when he tries to shoot.

He shoots hard, but he shoots awful. Often he shoots into a blocking player or high and wide.
He has a pretty good shot in my opinion, but we rarely get to see it because he's always rushed. No one knows how to make space for him to unwind. That and of course the ever popular shot into the shins of the opposing player.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:35 AM
bradrich99

I personally think that we might be at a place where we need to remove the thoughts of his potential from the discussion. Yes, I know all about his earlier injuries and less than stellar D partners, but he has now surpassed the 300 GP mark for his career. I think what we see is what we get. This is the player he is, and will be.

He is a very good player - not a guy to be in the Norris discussion. Best D on Avs roster? Yes by a long shot. Waiting for him to break out based upon some potential partner is false hope. The other GMs around the league would no longer do a similar trade as the one that brought him here.

Just my worthless 2cents...

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Avs71

How is EJ being surrounded by Hejda/O'Byrne/Wilson/Zanon/O'Brien any different than a skilled forward being surrounded by 3rd liners? I don't think the line of reasoning that if you put someone like Yandle (or even Liles/Carle) next to him that he would look like a much better defenceman. No one thinks he is going to be 50+point player anymore. there is no reason to think he can't be a Seabrook type player.

Look who the other top defencemen in the NHL get/got to play with or had on the roster:
Keith-Seabrook
Suter-Weber
McDonagh-Giradi
Staal-Del Zotto
Enstrom-Byfugline
etc

Playing with a bunch of 3rd pairing defencemen, under the reign of Sacco is not an environment that inspires success. I love EJ, but I agree we won't see him ever being nominated for a Norris. I don't think that means he can't become one of the better defencemen in the league though, with some help.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

I have literally NEVER seen him shoot it high. I would LOVE to see him shoot some sweet chin music at the net.

When he does get it through, not often, the goalie almost always fumbles with it. His shot is very heavy, and hard to handle for goalies. Put McGinn in front, and EJ on his off side. Don't give EJ the puck to quarterback it. Use Stastny or Parenteau on the half wall to dictate play. Then free EJ up for the shot. Our PP is way too predictable.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I feel sorry for him and Varlamov.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have literally NEVER seen him shoot it high. I would LOVE to see him shoot some sweet chin music at the net.

When he does get it through, not often, the goalie almost always fumbles with it. His shot is very heavy, and hard to handle for goalies. Put McGinn in front, and EJ on his off side. Don't give EJ the puck to quarterback it. Use Stastny or Parenteau on the half wall to dictate play. Then free EJ up for the shot. Our PP is way too predictable.
EJ is TERRIBLE on his offside. That's the spot he always shoots it into the opposing players shins and always looks uncomfortable in when he has to make a play because he's very strong along the boards. Without the boards to use his body to shield off the other player, he's less effective.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I feel sorry for him and Varlamov.
Same and duchene as well. They have terrible support around them.

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
EJ is TERRIBLE on his offside. That's the spot he always shoots it into the opposing players shins and always looks uncomfortable in when he has to make a play because he's very strong along the boards. Without the boards to use his body to shield off the other player, he's less effective.
If you read the rest of my post you would have read that I don't want him to carry the puck, shield it, or hold it. He should be touching it for seconds at a time on the PP. Be open for a shot. That is it.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
If you read the rest of my post you would have read that I don't want him to carry the puck, shield it, or hold it. He should be touching it for seconds at a time on the PP. Be open for a shot. That is it.
EJ seems to be the only guy on the team that can carry the puck into the zone on a PP. Furthermore he's quite excellent shielding the puck.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
EJ seems to be the only guy on the team that can carry the puck into the zone on a PP. Furthermore he's quite excellent shielding the puck.
I am talking about when we are set up, in our zone.