HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS new website (BETA)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
  #1
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
RDS new website (BETA)

http://beta.rds.ca/



I didnt like the old one.

It's better but I still prefer to go on TSN to see stats, standings, scores...

Thoughts?

(I didnt see any discussion about this)

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
  #2
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,812
vCash: 500
Barely fluid and not responsive.

Failure.


Last edited by Jee: 01-31-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
  #3
Teamwork
Registered User
 
Teamwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
  #4
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,514
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense
Agreed...my first reaction is that they need to shrink everything down a bit.

It looks like a site that was made more for mobile browsing than for reading on an actual monitor.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
  #5
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed...my first reaction is that they need to shrink everything down a bit.

It looks like a site that was made more for mobile browsing than for reading on an actual monitor.
But it's not. No responsivness whatsoever.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
  #6
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense
No, I agree! I find the text too big and the main picture too big also.

At first glance you only get to read 4-5 lines which is IMO bad because I always liked being able to read 7-8 news right when I got on the website.


I guess we'll get used to it, but I don't like my first impression...

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
  #7
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,837
vCash: 500
I hope they change their mobile version as well because it sucks.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
  #8
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Fluid but not responsive.

Failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed...my first reaction is that they need to shrink everything down a bit.

It looks like a site that was made more for mobile browsing than for reading on an actual monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
No, I agree! I find the text too big and the main picture too big also.

At first glance you only get to read 4-5 lines which is IMO bad because I always liked being able to read 7-8 news right when I got on the website.


I guess we'll get used to it, but I don't like my first impression...

On the left of the site you can submit your opinion.

Hopefully they can still improve the site

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
  #9
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
On the left of the site you can submit your opinion.

Hopefully they can still improve the site
Already did. Also tweeted them.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
  #10
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen
 
HabsProspectsExpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Good job RDS, look very good!

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
  #11
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
Here is what I sent them.

"Je trouve le site un peu mieux que l'ancien, mais il faudrait réduire un peu le format de tout.

Il images sont grosses et on peut seulement voir quelques nouvelles à la fois au premier coup d'oeil.

Si je vais sur le site de TSN par exemple, on peut voir 13 manchettes (Headline).

Il faut compacter l'information.

Je vous invite à lire les critiques de votre site sur le plus gros forum de hockey qui existe.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post58747175

L'opinion des membres penche tous dans la même direction"

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:17 PM
  #12
Windymind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
It is an improvement IMO. Although it needs some fine tuning. I'm happy the site will evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
No, I agree! I find the text too big and the main picture too big also.
True. The site size too wide which increases the font size and images. The same structure a bit smaller wouldn't make your head to back off the screen to be able to read.

The font narrow is hard to read.

The shadow on top of pictures doesn't make the text to stand out enough.

It's hard to find the video content...

But overall I like it a lot. Thank you for taking the time to attack that task.

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
  #13
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Here is what I sent them.

"Je trouve le site un peu mieux que l'ancien, mais il faudrait réduire un peu le format de tout.

Il images sont grosses et on peut seulement voir quelques nouvelles à la fois au premier coup d'oeil.

Si je vais sur le site de TSN par exemple, on peut voir 13 manchettes (Headline).

Il faut compacter l'information.

Je vous invite à lire les critiques de votre site sur le plus gros forum de hockey qui existe.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post58747175

L'opinion des membres penche tous dans la même direction"
I doubt they'll come and read this. Are you an anglo? Your message to them was weirdly structured (no offence bro!)

Anyway I agree it's too big. I'm not on an iPad I'm on a computer.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
  #14
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,433
vCash: 500
It's a beta guys chill out. For those that don't know: A beta is a little test environment to work on issues with the product before actual release.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  #15
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
Meh, they did a decent job to make the site a little less cluttered, the ergonomics of it are still total garbage... Réseau des BS at it's best again.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
  #16
Bob Cole
Registered User
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 500
My eyes hurt after looking at for more than 10 seconds. Way too much going on. It looks like it was designed by a high schooler lol

I think ESPN has by far the best format when it comes to sports sites.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
  #17
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Better. Really better. I used to never go on their site because it was painful to get what you wanted.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
  #18
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,514
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It's a beta guys chill out. For those that don't know: A beta is a little test environment to work on issues with the product before actual release.
And generally, feedback is expected when you allow members of the public to test out your beta product. That's the entire point of making it public. And people are sharing their feedback here too. No one needs to "chill out" because no one is freaking out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
  #19
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I doubt they'll come and read this. Are you an anglo? Your message to them was weirdly structured (no offence bro!)

Anyway I agree it's too big. I'm not on an iPad I'm on a computer.
No Im not anglo I guess I didnt take the time the make something clear like their website.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
  #20
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
My eyes hurt after looking at for more than 10 seconds. Way too much going on. It looks like it was designed by a high schooler lol
Looks like you don't know much about Web Design if you think so.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 PM
  #21
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
The choice of fonts along with their ridiculous size is pretty terrible as well. I think it's set to "blind as a bat".

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
  #22
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Looks like you don't know much about Web Design if you think so.
Whoever made it doesn't know much about web design either.

Nowadays it's all about esthetics, ergonomics and intuitivity, none of which are even remotely present in this site.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
  #23
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Whoever made it doesn't know much about web design either.

Nowadays it's all about esthetics, ergonomics and intuitivity, none of which are even remotely present in this site.
And the beta is all that.

We all agree that it might be too big (they could potentially save a lot of space so we can see more information in a smaller range).

But... The design itself is a standard html 5 / jQuery style, which has been the trend the last few years. It's beautiful, has nice colors and easy to read.

Ergonomically, the site is well done. It's like a hamburger and not confusing... Seriously very straight to the point and intuitive:
-scores-
-navbar-
-headlines-
-editorials-
-blog-
-interactivity (concours/poll)-
-vids-
-schedule-
-social networks-
-footer-
Whereas the current site is all mixed up, your eyes don't know where to go and there is way too much information condensed.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
  #24
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,803
vCash: 500
Wow, that site looks awful. I don't know what JF is saying about how it looks like a hamburger, or whatever, it isn't pleasing to the eye.

It looks like it's trying to look like Windows 8's Metro UI. I hope the final product looks completely different, or I'll visit the site even less than I do now.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
  #25
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
And the beta is all that.

We all agree that it might be too big (they could potentially save a lot of space so we can see more information in a smaller range).

But... The design itself is a standard html 5 / jQuery style, which has been the trend the last few years. It's beautiful, has nice colors and easy to read.

Ergonomically, the site is well done. It's like a hamburger and not confusing... Seriously very straight to the point and intuitive:
-scores-
-navbar-
-headlines-
-editorials-
-blog-
-interactivity (concours/poll)-
-vids-
-schedule-
-social networks-
-footer-
Whereas the current site is all mixed up, your eyes don't know where to go and there is way too much information condensed.
I guess we have very different standards, I think it's far from beautiful and easy to read. That triple nav bar is just way too much, they could keep it hidden when you don't go over (like it is on the home page). There is very little breathing room, the gutters are tiny and everything else is HUGE. I will agree that the site is better in all three aspects I mentioned, but it is nowhere near optimal. I could go on and on, but I'll end it there, not like I would ever want to be an art director for the RDS account.

Also, releasing their site as a BETA is a complete marketing failure IMO. I don't know any designers who like to deal with a backseat design committee, imagine if that committee is Québec sports fans at large... Wouldn't wanna be working on this project and I most certainly wouldn't wanna witness the results.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.