Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Winter 2013 Transfer Rumors & Moves II

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Evilo

vCash: 500
The coach being a manager (that includes transfers) is typically english.
In France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc... someone handles transfers, and that someone works hand in hand (at least on paper) with the coach.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
villevalo

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david
Arsenal working hard to sign left-back before deadline. Likely to happen. Never say never on David Villa, but unlikely #bbctransfernews #afc

Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

It's not that hard to understand.

For Arsenal's case, it's down to the fact that the manager doesn't really want to spend. He's also a bit tied by the board who are probably dipping into his pockets a bit. He also is concerned with wage structure, and getting players who might block the development of players on the club now. I could also see some idea that the manager spent a bit in a past window or two, and didn't get a lot out of it. So being gun shy does play into it.

For other clubs, it comes down to the idea that in Winter, you pay more than a player is usually worth (though some of the Newcastle deals are proving that otherwise) in a reactionary sense, more so than a logical sense. There's also wage structure to consider. While the transfer fee itself might not be large, you might be giving a guy international level money, and he's only a squad player for you down the road. That's what puts teams in difficult spots.

As for a GM/Coach style, like North American sports, it's not as traditional, especially in the English game. Only a few clubs have ever done it, though they've often had chief scouts/financial guys. It's a bit more common on the European continent, but still not traditionally done at a bigger club. The manager almost always has the final say, unless you're talking about silly money buys. If you're a big manager, you don't want guys buying players you may not want or can't use. That leads to bust ups and managers getting fired. How anyone could survive at Chelsea where the owner is picking the players is beyond me. (It's why most won't last, and many won't go there other than for a truckload of cash).

It is a lot of work for a manager to do, and I do think at times some can't cut it doing both jobs. But it's a bit less like the manager doing all the scouting. Usually they have a scouting department that goes and looks at 4-5 targets that could fill a need, and then the manager, with consultation, can make the final pick. But even that could come down to whether or not they fit in the budget. To give an example, if Brendan Rodgers says, "I need an attacking midfielder", then the LFC staff would probably go out and find 4-5 targets for players who fit in the budget. He might have a player in mind, but usually, they'll make a few calls, see who's available, make some reports on the players that they could fit into the system. Then Rodgers would make the choice of the player he thinks would best suit his needs, or not, pending on what they want to do. Then, the deal is usually done by the scouting/finance people. Though, someone with a lot of clout like SAF could come in and push a deal through if need be. That more depends on the power of the manager, and his control of the board. It also has to do with budget and resources.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I think this is what has me (as a relative newcomer to following football) so confused. If it's apparent to me that this team needed help defensively and in the midfield, how does Arsenal management, be it Wenger or whoever, not see this? And if they are supposedly such a big club, how can they not go out and spend a bit to help out here? Isn't 10 million Euros what they spent on Park just 2 seasons ago?

Maybe I'm missing something. Someone above suggested that Wenger should focus on coaching and give someone else the job of handling transfers. Is it common to have a coach/GM model like we see in most North American sports in European soccer? It didn't seem that way to my newbie eyes, but I'm all for being enlightened.
England is different, in the EPL teams usual have one guy who fills both roles. The Bundesliga is different, there all teams have their coaches just coach, with someone else in charge of transfers.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Can't live without this image on transfer day.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Good old Redknapp.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Mbiwa, Sissoko. Total spent : 10M€.

Those 10M€ would have done wonders for Arsenal.
Or even better, Mbiwa+M'Vila, total 20M€.
Exactly my point.

Both players were targets of ours, both players ended up being transfered on bargain deals and both players would've solidified positions that need to be strenghten.

When you add everything together, you can't do anything else but scratch your head and wonder why we didn't swoop up a combo of Mbiwa+M'Vila or better yet, the trio of Mbiwa+M'Vila+Sissoko.

All 3 players would've covered 3 areas of our squad that need reinforcement. As much as Villa would help, the 3 frenchmens would've made our team much better and much deeper versus the single signing of David Villa.

It's like if Wenger is doing it on purpose not to solidify our biggest weakness, by wasting valuable time trying to add someone we don't really need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david
Arsenal working hard to sign left-back before deadline. Likely to happen. Never say never on David Villa, but unlikely #bbctransfernews #afc
I don't want to sound harsh, but thank god Gibbs went down with a injury BEFORE the window shuts down. I can only imagine if his injury would've occured after the transfer window, wich would've left us with Santos as our #1 LB.

If Wenger is known to be a penny pincher, he'll have to swallow his pride cause opposing teams will raise their demand since Arsène is doing some last minute shopping and they know we're stuck with a turd at LB for god knows how long.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
villevalo

Various sources quoting Nacho Monreal to Arsenal on a 10 million Euro deal.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
have not a clue with that guy? anyone know anything? rather than he is spanish

Old
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Foppa

Haha, look at Nacho's wiki page:

Ignacio "Nacho" Monreal Eraso (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈnatʃo monreˈal eˈɾaso]; born 26 February 1986) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Málaga CF as a left defender. He is currently flying to London, to sign for Arsenal, and even on a plane he is more useful than André Santos

Gotta love the internets

I dunno much about him but he's 26, a full Spanish international and us and other big EPL sides have sniffed around him in the past. So...yes, I agree with the wiki page.

But let's ask ourselves this...would we even be signing him (if in fact this is legit) had Gibbs not gotten hurt yesterday?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 0
Danny Graham to Sunderland for £5m.

Ha!

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

^^^ LOL... that's hysterical and oh so true.

Anything but Santos is fine by me. Like I said, we couldn't land someone with less talent even if we tried.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
have not a clue with that guy? anyone know anything? rather than he is spanish
He's very good in my opinion. Good defensively and he's been getting better at going forward the last few seasons. He's better than both Gibbs and Santos.

Felipe Anderson to Lazio a done deal I heard now.. Could be a very good buy for them I think. I like that they are adding some depth this window, if they had done the same thing last season in January they probably wouldn't have lost out on the Champions League spot.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

It's just comical that Wenger has to react due to a injury to bolster our club. Kind of wish that Mertesacker would've suffered the same faith on that Gerrard tackle yesterday, maybe we would've signed someone that can actually help us or give us more options then what we have atm.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
It's just comical that Wenger has to react due to a injury to bolster our club. Kind of wish that Mertesacker would've suffered the same faith on that Gerrard tackle yesterday, maybe we would've signed someone that can actually help us or give us more options then what we have atm.
It appears we tried to sign Fernando Amorebieta as well (a centre back).

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Foppa

You know who we should get who would be perfect? Mbiwa. Full French international yet only 23, plays centre back, left back, right back...has leadership qualities and good intangibles. Would be relatively cheap.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
It appears we tried to sign Fernando Amorebieta as well (a centre back).
We've tried to sign almost everyone we've been rumoured with, yet, we don't sign anyone we're rumoured with.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Mbiwa...Mbabu...Mhappy

Hopefully we can steal a pt or more from Chelsea on the weekend.

Wait a minute? Mbabu isnt French? Ahh ****. What the hell is Pardew thinking?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Monreal is good, but when you pay 10m for a left back you expect something close to world class or potentially world class and he's not that.

Re: Pacheco, it's a mystery why he's stagnated. Every time I've seen him play a senior match he's worked hard, he might be bad in training.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Monreal is good, but when you pay 10m for a left back you expect something close to world class or potentially world class and he's not that.
When you wait till the last few hours of the transfer window and you starting LB is injured and your back up is Andre Santos...then I guess you do pay 10m for a good but not world-class left back huh?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Brek Shea will get a work permit and sign for Stoke. BOO!

Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
When you wait till the last few hours of the transfer window and you starting LB is injured and your back up is Andre Santos...then I guess you do pay 10m for a good but not world-class left back huh?
Bingo.

I don't know one club that wouldn't try and screw over Wenger given the situation he has put us in and the time frame he has to work with.

Here's the conversation between Wenger and "whoever"...

Wenger: Hello, this is Arsène calling for your left back, cause our #1 guy just got injured yesterday
Whoever: Ah yes, well we can let go of player x, y, z for about 10M£
Wenger: WHAT !!! Last time we spoke, you were asking for 6M£ or 7M£ ?!?!?
Whoever: I'm hanging up in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
Wenger: Ok, ok... 10M£ it is. Now fly him out here ASAP.
Whoever: done deal (with a smile in his voice)

And voilà, there you have it. The inside scoop on how Wenger does business.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
wenger has talked to Málaga before gibbs injury regarding nacho.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Looks like Monreal to Arsenal is close. He's cup tied in the Champions League though.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Looks like Monreal to Arsenal is close. He's cup tied in the Champions League though.
Santos gets the starts there then

Closed Thread