HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Jebro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jebro
Zach Bourquechuk

Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
So we have the canes 07, 08, and 12 first round picks.
Good point. Maybe we can wrangle Skinner from them for just about anyone in our organization.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

He'll become our Teddy Purcell or Grabner.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Stopped reading at 5 ft 9 in, 176 lbs.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
What poor asset management by Carolina!!!11!1

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Koempel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bylsma says Boychuk could get work on Malkin's line.
Getting waived and finding yourself on the line of last years MVP...Boychuk must be stunned with disbelief...

Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Stopped reading at 5 ft 9 in, 176 lbs.
You can still have success at those numbers.

St. Louis
Marchand
Roy
Sullivan
Enstrom
Savard
Cammalleri
Koivu
Versteeg
Whitney
Gionta
Briere
Recchi
Timonen
Rafalski
Kane

Just a small list of guys that are undersized that had success in the league. Am I saying Boychuk will be as successful? Not at all, but I'm simply claiming that you can't write him off sheerly because of size.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
deakka

We need a youtube highlight vid! just so our expectations go through the roof

Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koempel View Post
Getting waived and finding yourself on the line of last years MVP...Boychuk must be stunned with disbelief...
Zero to hero?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I just like the fact he's a first rounder, that had a legit first round grade.

It's not like he is some scrub that has no ability...ill just wait to see how bad we **** it up.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Other than Chad LaRose, Boychuk probably was the most polarizing player/prospect on the Canes board. Some have been saying "BUST" for years while others have been saying he just needs a fair chance and let him develop.

The plus is he has good speed and good offensive skills. He has shown in the AHL that he can score and is good on the PP. In order for a young forward to stick with Carolina, he either needs to light it up right away (like Skinner) or be sound in other aspects of his game such as defense, physical play, etc.. (such as Sutter and more recently Tlusty and Bowman).

Whether it's because he hasn't gotten a fair chance or that he just hasn't been able to make the most of his chances, Boychuk hasn't shown enough offense to overcome that he's not great defensively or very strong on the puck and on the small side. In fairness to him, he's only had 1 game this season to show that, and the Canes were terrible as a team that game, but he has had chances in previous years. Since he was once viewed as a top prospect, he has not been able to hold down a roster spot while others (Skinner, Bowman, Dalpe, Tlusty) have. IMO, Bowman, Tlusty and Dalpe don't have the offensive skills that Boychuk does, but they offer up other things (Tlusty and Bowman are very good defensively and can be used to kill penalties for instance).

I think it's a little bit that he hasn't taken advantage of his chances and a little bit that he at times doesn't seem to have gotten a fair chance (although we don't get to see what goes on in practice, team meetings, behind the scenes). I still think that in the right situation, he might be able to put it together. This is as good of a chance as any for him. I won't be upset if he happens to put it together on another team as it was clear that wasn't going to happen in Carolina.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koempel View Post
Like getting fired from McDonald's and hired as the CFO of Apple the same week.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
So we have the canes 07, 08, and 12 first round picks.
And our 2009 2nd round pick (Dumoulin).

I think it's only fair that you send back another 1st round pick to the Canes just to even things out. 2004 or 2005 will do.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Other than Chad LaRose, Boychuk probably was the most polarizing player/prospect on the Canes board. Some have been saying "BUST" for years while others have been saying he just needs a fair chance and let him develop.

The plus is he has good speed and good offensive skills. He has shown in the AHL that he can score and is good on the PP. In order for a young forward to stick with Carolina, he either needs to light it up right away (like Skinner) or be sound in other aspects of his game such as defense, physical play, etc.. (such as Sutter and more recently Tlusty and Bowman).
Oh well, guess he'll be back in Carolina soon then. No worries.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
mpp9

Quote:

Whether it's because he hasn't gotten a fair chance or that he just hasn't been able to make the most of his chances, Boychuk hasn't shown enough offense to overcome that he's not great defensively or very strong on the puck and on the small side. In fairness to him, he's only had 1 game this season to show that, and the Canes were terrible as a team that game, but he has had chances in previous years. Since he was once viewed as a top prospect, he has not been able to hold down a roster spot while others (Skinner, Bowman, Dalpe, Tlusty) have. IMO, Bowman, Tlusty and Dalpe don't have the offensive skills that Boychuk does, but they offer up other things (Tlusty and Bowman are very good defensively and can be used to kill penalties for instance).

I think it's a little bit that he hasn't taken advantage of his chances and a little bit that he at times doesn't seem to have gotten a fair chance (although we don't get to see what goes on in practice, team meetings, behind the scenes). I still think that in the right situation, he might be able to put it together. This is as good of a chance as any for him. I won't be upset if he happens to put it together on another team as it was clear that wasn't going to happen in Carolina.
He's not coming into a much better scenario here. Our coach isn't one to give extended looks for unproven players. He either produces with Geno/Neal or he's back on the waiver wire IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Who is the last waiver wire pickup to even do well with the Pens?

Straka, Lang?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Barely even heard of the guy, he's not playing tonight is he?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
I've just about given up all hole at this point... Unless there is a change behind the Bench & in "system" thinking and work ethic this will continue to be a **** joke team.
Never give up hole.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
Barely even heard of the guy, he's not playing tonight is he?
You should follow hockey, drafts, junior etc.....then maybe you would have heard of him.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Just fyi...from the Canes Beat Writer:

Quote:
@ice_chip

Rutherford on what kept Boychuk from being NHL player: "With us, his consistency."

Rutherford said if Pens at some point this year decide to put Boychuk back on waivers, Canes would claim him.
So sounds like they want to keep him, but had to put him on waivers to send him to the AHL or let him rot away in the press box which helps neither party.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Never give up hole.
I'm thinking that's what we witnessed during last year's playoffs. The entire Pens team "giving up hole" all over the ice.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:

Whoa wait...

Am I to understand the Penguins are not the only team that simply doesn't hand out primo playing time to scorers who when given a chance, never actually score?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:51 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
1) wouldn't they have to make room?

2) who is in charge of parade route planning?
Oh, so glad I wasn't drinking anything when reading that.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Whoa wait...

Am I to understand the Penguins are not the only team that simply doesn't hand out primo playing time to scorers who when given a chance, never actually score?
But did Boychuk ever tie up a guy's stick while someone else made a nice offensive play? And what about center drive? CENTER. DRIVE.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Canes fan coming in peace also...

For basically three years I've been hoping to see something -- ANYTHING -- out of Boychuk besides unmet expectations. Short of that I just hoped that he could bring some consistency and finally earn a roster spot. My worst fears have been realized as it appears his best chance in the NHL is going to happen somewhere besides Raleigh.

I believe as Boom Boom Anton said, there have probably been few players as polarizing or as frustrating in our organization as Boychuk has, at least on our board.

But as I understand it he's pretty good pals with Brandon Sutter, and you'll either have the steal of the year or we'll be welcoming him back to Charlotte when Niskanen returns.

PS: I'm kinda hoping he gets the #11 sweater too, just to satisfy the somewhat twisted sense of humor Canes fans have here on HF.

Edit: I guess we won't be needing this anymore either:

Last edited by PaulProteus: 01-31-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread