HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
  #426
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Mock Draft has the Canucks drafting Todd Bertuzzi's nephew late in the draft, lol.
I'll be pretty sad taking Rychel over Lazar and Bertuzzi over Elie and Merkley over Nastasiuk or Lee.

Lazar must be the no brainer choice!

-------

Really McCarron? I think I'll pass.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
  #427
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
i did not know we had two 3rds this year...right the Booth trade

Brett Pederson in the 5th
We don't. that site is wrong.

The only thing that site is good for is the list of names.

We got 'our' pick back in the Booth trade.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
  #428
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
We don't. that site is wrong.

The only thing that site is good for is the list of names.

We got 'our' pick back in the Booth trade.
i figured one of us would have already got giddy from having another pick in the 3rd long ago

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
  #429
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Obviously pick BPA but I think we should go for someone who's really fast and agile. To complement Gaunce, Kassian and Jensen.

Nuck This is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
  #430
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I'll be pretty sad taking Rychel over Lazar and Bertuzzi over Elie and Merkley over Nastasiuk or Lee.

Lazar must be the no brainer choice!

-------

Really McCarron? I think I'll pass.
I would cry, if the we passed on Lazar for Rychel (not a fan) and then Lazar ending up in Chicago.

I'd be so mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Curtis Lazar is the guy you pick if he's still around and don't even think about it. If not, I like Dickinson and Zykov a lot.
Dickinson has so many tools, the production isn't there, but he can and has played every forward position, skates like the wind, is extremely agile.

Late 1st if we have a shot at him of lazar I'd be so happy.

Lazar is exactly what we've all been clamouring for...WHLer, BC boy, Canuck fan, gritty with one shot scoring ability.

Dare to dream.

Zykov scares me, but he's been ripping it up the last month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Dickenson seems like a very versatile player. I wouldn't mind him at all wherever we pick.


And please waive your NTC for CLB...
Yup.

Like this guy a lot, have a feeling he's going to tear the OHL a new one next year.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
  #431
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I'll be pretty sad taking Rychel over Lazar and Bertuzzi over Elie and Merkley over Nastasiuk or Lee.

Lazar must be the no brainer choice!

-------

Really McCarron? I think I'll pass.
What puts makes Lazar such a no brainer over Rychel in your opinion.

McCarron would be a project but we are seeing how important having a power forward can be, with the play of Kassian this year. It sounds like he plays big as well, and if he can have average skating he could be an absolute beast (think Lucic in his first couple seasons). His size is too much to ignore and he should be given a good long look as a potential 2nd rd pick IMO.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
  #432
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Zykov scares me, but he's been ripping it up the last month.
Yep, 26 points in 12 games — has points in every single game in January. The guy just knows how to play NA hockey. He's so good on the puck, crashes the net, is a beast along the boards, backchecks, etc. And his shot just keeps getting better and better. He skates with a really wide base so he's not very fast but very stable, excellent lateral mobility, can turn really well, good quickness, etc.

He shouldn't scare you any more than someone like Tarasenko.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
  #433
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,767
vCash: 500
What do you guys think of Nick Sorensen or Oliver Bjorkstrand? Do you think we should try to pick up one(or both) of them in the 2nd-3rd round to add to our Danish family?

From what I've read Sorensen is a great all-round player with solid skating and vision, while Bjorkstrand is extremely smart but lacks size or great speed. Any further insight would be appreciated.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
  #434
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What do you guys think of Nick Sorensen or Oliver Bjorkstrand? Do you think we should try to pick up one(or both) of them in the 2nd-3rd round to add to our Danish family?

From what I've read Sorensen is a great all-round player with solid skating and vision, while Bjorkstrand is extremely smart but lacks size or great speed. Any further insight would be appreciated.
I haven't seen much of Nick Sörensen, so I won't comment on him, and he seems to consider himself more Swedish than Danish.

About Bjorkstrand. He is in someways similar to Nicklas Jensen, in the sense that they both have a great shot and just seems to know how to be where the puck is gonna be so they can put it in the net. But Jensen has some things going for him that Bjorkstrand don't, mainly size. Jensen isn't a powerforward, but he uses his size well in front of the net and he protects the puck really well. And I also think that Jensens overall skill level is better than Bjorkstrands. Bjorkstrand is small, and will need to bulk up considerably before he can play NHL hockey, and even then I could see him getting pushed around a lot. These are things that makes me wonder if Bjorkstrand will ever make it to the NHL full time. I haven't paid enough attention to his two-way game to know if it can evolve to a level where it can keep him in the NHL if isn't able to produce consistently, and I just don't think he has the size or playing style to become a Hansen like 3rd line grinder. If I were to pick a Winterhawks player not named Jones this year, I would pick Nic Petan, his is small, but only 4 cm shorter than Bjorkstrand, and his skills are amazing. Higher upside and the risk is probably the same.

Jevo is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
  #435
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
The more I watch him, the less I like Bjorkstrand. (Sorry Jevo!) He's a very one dimensional player that doesn't have the size, he's soft too, and his offensive skill is good but not top notch. He gets compared to Jensen because of their production in their rookie seasons, but Jensen was scoring on a much worse team and has attributes that translate so much better to the NHL.

I was pretty excited over the first few months because I saw him play a few times and he seemed like he could improve as he got used to the level of play, but the steps I expected him to take never came.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
  #436
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The more I watch him, the less I like Bjorkstrand. (Sorry Jevo!) He's a very one dimensional player that doesn't have the size, he's soft too, and his offensive skill is good but not top notch. He gets compared to Jensen because of their production in their rookie seasons, but Jensen was scoring on a much worse team and has attributes that translate so much better to the NHL.

I was pretty excited over the first few months because I saw him play a few times and he seemed like he could improve as he got used to the level of play, but the steps I expected him to take never came.
No hard feelings. As you can probably see from my reply I am somewhat cynical of his chances too, and that is with a bit of national bias in there. As time goes on I just get more and more convinced that he is gonna reach the top of his career as a good SEL player, which is not bad, under a handfull of Danish players outside the NHL can claim to be good enough for that right now. But it's just not what you are looking for in an NHL draft.

Jevo is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
  #437
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,767
vCash: 500
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sorensen I think fell off the radar a bit due to him having surgery on his ACL, but looking at his stat sheet he seems to be recovering well. And at 6'1 he might be a better fit for the direction the team is going in. If he's available in the 2nd round maybe we should try for him.

I think in general that outside the first round we should aim for more boom/bust players rather than safe bets to become bottom-6/third pairing player, which are relatively easy to acquire via UFA or as a deadline rental.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
  #438
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sorensen I think fell off the radar a bit due to him having surgery on his ACL, but looking at his stat sheet he seems to be recovering well. And at 6'1 he might be a better fit for the direction the team is going in. If he's available in the 2nd round maybe we should try for him.

I think in general that outside the first round we should aim for more boom/bust players rather than safe bets to become bottom-6/third pairing player, which are relatively easy to acquire via UFA or as a deadline rental.
If we go off the board and pick an overage player (I like Mallet not a shot) in the 2nd round this year, I will have a Van losing to Boston in the SCF meltdown again.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM
  #439
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sorensen I think fell off the radar a bit due to him having surgery on his ACL, but looking at his stat sheet he seems to be recovering well. And at 6'1 he might be a better fit for the direction the team is going in. If he's available in the 2nd round maybe we should try for him.

I think in general that outside the first round we should aim for more boom/bust players rather than safe bets to become bottom-6/third pairing player, which are relatively easy to acquire via UFA or as a deadline rental.
What radar?

He's been playing for a top Q team all season and played for Sweden at the WJC.

12 goals in the Q, playing with guys like Grigorenko, Duclar, Erne is not that great, and wasn't impressed with him at the WJC, albeit he had a limited role.

----------------

I don't really like the boom/bust picks until after the 2nd round, especially this year.

Look at the top 60 from Bobby Mac, I'd say the majority of the guys listed from 31-50 would have been 1st's or very early 2nd's last year.

Get two studs in the top 60, then start swinging for the fences.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
  #440
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What radar?

He's been playing for a top Q team all season and played for Sweden at the WJC.

12 goals in the Q, playing with guys like Grigorenko, Duclar, Erne is not that great, and wasn't impressed with him at the WJC, albeit he had a limited role.
Well most rankings I've seen Sorensen have him in the mid-second, so if we can (move up a couple of spots maybe) I would want to try and get him with our 2nd.

Quote:
I don't really like the boom/bust picks until after the 2nd round, especially this year.

Look at the top 60 from Bobby Mac, I'd say the majority of the guys listed from 31-50 would have been 1st's or very early 2nd's last year.

Get two studs in the top 60, then start swinging for the fences.
Well I guess it depends. There are a lot of guys I like who will likely be available in the 2nd that I don't consider boom/bust, but still have a high ceiling. But in general I would rather draft guys with a high ceiling but who have fallen due to injury concerns, KHL worries, etc in the later rounds.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:33 PM
  #441
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
I will say one quick thing about Sorensen before The topic moves off him. I'd say, after watching all of Swedens WJC games, there was probably no player more invisible than Sorensen (OK maybe Boyce). I watch and make note of the time players have an event of any sort. I only remember one shift where Sorensen was visible to me.

Given the way De La Rose and Wennberg started on the 4th line and worked their way into more playing time, I found Sorensen did the opposite. Didn't do jack and got his ice time cut.

I'll just say, I am wary about him ATM.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
  #442
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I will say one quick thing about Sorensen before The topic moves off him. I'd say, after watching all of Swedens WJC games, there was probably no player more invisible than Sorensen (OK maybe Boyce). I watch and make note of the time players have an event of any sort. I only remember one shift where Sorensen was visible to me.

Given the way De La Rose and Wennberg started on the 4th line and worked their way into more playing time, I found Sorensen did the opposite. Didn't do jack and got his ice time cut.

I'll just say, I am wary about him ATM.
Had a reply typed up 'outlining' the same premises as this, but I just moved on...

Was very much a passenger on that team.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
  #443
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Too much quality there to pick Sorensen, even if our pick is #60 or something. Guys like Connor Hurley, Pavel Buchnevich, and Eric Roy all represent better value to me. Adam Tambellini and Stephen Harper are also intriguing prospects, IMO. Plus there's a guy like Jimmy Lodge who is bound to be moving up the lists after his play and production the last two months.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
  #444
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 18,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I want three firsts. I assume New York and L.A will get better as the season progresses but right now mock drafts have them taking Drouin, Lindholm and Pulock........Ya safe to say they'd turn there franchise around.

I wanna get a first back in a Luongo trade.
I'd be happy if we could scrounge up a few extra seconds this year. If we can get a couple of early 2nds for our first that would also work for me.

If the Luongo deal was next years first with this years second plus good player/prospects I'd be ok with that.

Petan looks like what we need, I know we are on a size drive but we have plenty of size drafted and we will draft more and could really use some pure skill.

me2 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
  #445
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
What puts makes Lazar such a no brainer over Rychel in your opinion.

McCarron would be a project but we are seeing how important having a power forward can be, with the play of Kassian this year. It sounds like he plays big as well, and if he can have average skating he could be an absolute beast (think Lucic in his first couple seasons). His size is too much to ignore and he should be given a good long look as a potential 2nd rd pick IMO.
Now that I'm home, i can give this a good reply.

Rychel, i feel lacks the potential to be a go-to player. He struggled a bit without a good center (Koko) feeding him passes. He is a complementary winger imo at the next level. People have also labelled him as a nasty, physical, power forward kind of player. But I don't see that consistently when i've watched Windsor. He's a gritty kind of player who will stand up for himself and his team, but nasty or punishing, i don't see that in any sense of those words. And he has been hit or miss for me when i've watched. That said, he would still be a good pick for whichever team that takes him, I like the way he drives to the net, his work in front of the net and his ability to score in a variety of ways.

Lazar: I believe he has the same scoring ability as Rychel with the shot he has. Lazar is a smarter player in all 3 zones, imo, and has the ability to be a leader on and off the ice, he was the go to player in the Oilkings' playoff run last season. He has that ability although he is currently on the 3rd line, but he has embraced a smaller role and has still been able to contribute. Lazar will consistently make an impact on every game he plays, and that's something i haven't see from Rychel. I think he has a great foundation to build on.

As an aside, if you watch any interview of him, i think his enthusiasm for the game is infectious. He is always smiling, even on the ice! He has a great attitude and is very coachable.

-----------

Bolded is a drafting philosophy i simply dislike. His size is the first attribute you identified as an asset. Seems like a few here simply see height and weight and everything else blurs into the background. Kassian is far different, he was recognized as one of the toughest guys in the OHL and very skilled. McCarron has slow acceleration, but decent mobility, not consistently a mean player, does not use his size on a consistent basis and is not near the puck handler that Kassian was in his draft year. He is extremely raw and not a guy i'd choose in the 2nd with the guys currently ranked here.

I'll give you a concession, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Tyler Hill in the 3rd round or 4th (wasn't tanked even in the HM by Bobby Mac). A similar kind of player, just as raw, just doesn't have the exposure of the US NTDP to prop him up.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  #446
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
@thefeebster -

Have you watched much of the USNTDP this year? If so, do you have any comments on their players?

Also, since you seem to be quite the master of finding streams, video, etc, how can I watch them (for free), I know fasthockey streams USHL, but I'm a cheapskate.

JT Compher continues to get the Ryan Kesler comparable (in terms of skill, compete etc) and IMO that is the exact type of player we need to continually go after (inB4 shortshorts or others comment on selfishness and wrist shot into shin pads).

I've been intrigued about this guy all season, but I haven't seen him play ever.

Cheers

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  #447
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
@thefeebster -

Have you watched much of the USNTDP this year? If so, do you have any comments on their players?

Also, since you seem to be quite the master of finding streams, video, etc, how can I watch them (for free), I know fasthockey streams USHL, but I'm a cheapskate.

JT Compher continues to get the Ryan Kesler comparable (in terms of skill, compete etc) and IMO that is the exact type of player we need to continually go after (inB4 shortshorts or others comment on selfishness and wrist shot into shin pads).

I've been intrigued about this guy all season, but I haven't seen him play ever.

Cheers
Not a whole lot, mainly as you say, due to the cost of the fasthockey streams. I've only been able to catch 3, i think and two were very early in the season when Compher was injured. As such I am not much help here. Best way is to see them is when they play NCAA teams, more likely to find a stream in that case than when they play the USHL.

They are currently playing in the 5 nations tournament. It is in Sweden this year, so perhaps you may be able to find a stream.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
  #448
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Posted this in another thread, thought it could work hear as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not me, I question his 'tool box'.

He has tools, and those tools are fantastic, but he I hate to compare anyone to Mason Raymond, but Bowey's puck rushing often ends in a dead play because he is unable to make a smart decision in the offensive zone.

Struggles to make the right reads defensively too.

I personally like Jesse Lees, he's smaller and less 'toolsy' but plays an awful lot like Tanev. Definitely in the running for a pick 3rd round or later for me.

On that topic, if Shaw is your television provider you can watch Kelowna play Portland tonight at 7pm.

Tons of high end prospects for this years draft and next (as well as Severson, who most wanted to draft in the 2nd last year).

Portland:
Jones (13)
Petan (13)
De Leo (14)
Iverson (14)
Turgeon (14)

Kelowna:
Bowey (13)
Wheaton (13)
Lees (13)
Chartier (14)
Baillie (14)

These are two of the best teams in the CHL: Portland is ranked 1st and Kelowna is 4th.

Oh yeah, and obviously Mackinnon, Drouin and Fucale and the Mooseheads play Moncton on sportsnet at 4pm.


Good night for junior hockey viewing if you ask me.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
  #449
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
Petan with a natural hat-trick: 38, 39, 40. 98 points in 56 games.

timw33 is online now  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
  #450
okSourdough
Registered User
 
okSourdough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Petan

Went to the Rockets - Winterhawks game here in Kelowna last night. 5-1 Winterhawks. Was extremely impressed with Petan. The kis is a beast out there for his size. Never backed down, went to all the tough spots with no hesitation, loved his intensity, never took a shift off, scored a wicked one timer off a pass from Rattie. Woud take him over Rattie any day. Jones ony had a few moments when he dominated, actualy looked a little disnterested may be more a matter of his great size and ability in that he just played a very safe game last night. Draft Petan and you have a real sparkplug with very good hands and speed.


Last edited by okSourdough: 02-10-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
okSourdough is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.