HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The TANK Thread

View Poll Results: Which future superstar do you want replacing Stastny?
Drouin 3 5.66%
Mackinnnon 11 20.75%
Jones 33 62.26%
Mackinnon is the only one who can actually replace Stastny, and you can vote here too 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
it's true that watching a team, who has a chance to finish last and draft first overall is not fun. But on the bright side if you take for granted that it's only a 48 games season, it makes it less painful .

As for the coaching and GM move , i think that it's been obvious for a long time now that Sacco has to go . As for Sherman , in my book, he's making a good job ever since he's with us .
the 48 game season makes it easier to tank in some ways, I guess, but it makes it harder, too. I waited sooo long for hockey this year, that it causes even more pain this time to accept a tank.

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

It's only tanking if you try to lose.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
No Bozak option?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Freaky Styley

No reason for this thread to exist, as even if we miss the playoffs by 1 point we still have a slight chance at getting the #1 pick.. I will not stand for Sherman to sit by and let the team lose without 1. A coaching change, 2. A signed O'Reilly 3. Some move to upgrade our D/get offensive dman

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
the 48 game season makes it easier to tank in some ways, I guess, but it makes it harder, too. I waited sooo long for hockey this year, that it causes even more pain this time to accept a tank.
believe me i know how you feel , but for me it's not that hard to watch the team and accept the tank... idk maybe it's because i was a Nords fan and i saw them finish dead last 3 years in a row.

On the bright side , maybe an old fashion dead last tank will bring us a great player at the draft AND we'll finally get rid of Sacco once and for all.

Plus , tomorrow is Feb , so you only 3 months left to go of the atrocities on the ice .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
believe me i know how you feel , but for me it's not that hard to watch the team and accept the tank... idk maybe it's because i was a Nords fan ansaw them finish dead last 3 years in a row.

On the bright side , maybe an old fashion dead last tank will bring us a great player at the draft AND we'll finally get rid of Sacco once and for all.

Plus , tomorrow is Feb , so you only 3 months left to go of the atrocities on the ice .
I don't have problem with this if that means we will win cup or two in next 10-12 years

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Varly

guys im just getting back into the hockey scene

How does MacKinnon stack up against recent top NHL prospects?

Varly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varly View Post
guys im just getting back into the hockey scene

How does MacKinnon stack up against recent top NHL prospects?
I think RNH and Yakupov are better.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
and how do those two stack of against Crosby,Stamkos and Ovechkin when they were top picks?

Haven't really followed hockey since the lockout in 04-05

Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varly View Post
and how do those two stack of against Crosby,Stamkos and Ovechkin when they were top picks?

Haven't really followed hockey since the lockout in 04-05
Those are franchise players, the closest franchise player from them is RNH and he will probably even out to a really good #1 centre.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
I disagree. RNH will be a very good #1C, an 80-85 point sort of player that is an elite playmaker. IMO MacKinnon has 100 point potential (with 35-40 goals). MacKinnon is much more willing to go into the dirty areas to get goals.

Now Yakupov should be a 40g 1st line wing, but may never reach that with Hall in his way.

Like a lot of people, I think that Jones is the best player in the draft. If he lives up to his potential he will be a top 5 defensemen in the league. If I had a choice I would pick him over everybody, especially since we have Duchene and theoretically ROR as our top 2 centers.

That said, anybody in the top 5 is going to be a great player. This is the best top 5 since 2006 (Johnson, Staal, Towes, Backstrom, and Kessel).

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

I don't know if being very good team down the middle is the answer. We've had 3 good centers for 3 years now. What we need is a supporting cast. Duchene and Staz are good but they're not the type of players that make their wingers exceptionally better. They need players to feed off and vice versa. A 1-2 punch of Duchene and MacKinnon sounds real good but who do we have to compliment them? Jones is awful. I'm not sold on McGinn. Hejduk is done. PAP looks alright and of course Landeskog is a special player but we need more.

The D is just awful on paper. We need someone who can do it all and someone who can shut players down. I'm 100% on board for drafting Jones. Do we play him with Johnson or give him his own pairing?

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
I don't know if being very good team down the middle is the answer. We've had 3 good centers for 3 years now. What we need is a supporting cast. Duchene and Staz are good but they're not the type of players that make their wingers exceptionally better. They need players to feed off and vice versa. A 1-2 punch of Duchene and MacKinnon sounds real good but who do we have to compliment them? Jones is awful. I'm not sold on McGinn. Hejduk is done. PAP looks alright and of course Landeskog is a special player but we need more.

The D is just awful on paper. We need someone who can do it all and someone who can shut players down. I'm 100% on board for drafting Jones. Do we play him with Johnson or give him his own pairing?

LOL, they're even worse on ice!

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
LOL, they're even worse on ice!
Agreed, but our GA has gotten better since 10/11 when we were dead last. Attribute that to what you will.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
anleva

Since the probability and excitement of having a high draft choice is building, someone remind me on how they are doing the lottery again. Did they change that with the latest CBA?

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

He would get his own pairing, Jones is a right defensemen. At that point, we would only have to hope that one of the other RD turns out (Barrie or Elliott).

Ristolainen would also be another great choice if we are in the top 5 again (also a RD). For defensemen I am also a pretty big fan of Darnell Nurse.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I disagree. RNH will be a very good #1C, an 80-85 point sort of player that is an elite playmaker. IMO MacKinnon has 100 point potential (with 35-40 goals). MacKinnon is much more willing to go into the dirty areas to get goals.

Now Yakupov should be a 40g 1st line wing, but may never reach that with Hall in his way.

Like a lot of people, I think that Jones is the best player in the draft. If he lives up to his potential he will be a top 5 defensemen in the league. If I had a choice I would pick him over everybody, especially since we have Duchene and theoretically ROR as our top 2 centers.

That said, anybody in the top 5 is going to be a great player. This is the best top 5 since 2006 (Johnson, Staal, Towes, Backstrom, and Kessel).
LOL 100 points, 40 goal winger, 85 point centre? Whatever you're having I would like it.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

MacKinnon is putting up just as good of numbers as either of RNH or Yak did in their respective leagues. Now I know the Q is known for being a much higher scoring and open league than the other two but why can't Mac be just as good as the 2 in Edm? Is it something about his game specifically?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:39 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
MacKinnon is putting up just as good of numbers as either of RNH or Yak did in their respective leagues. Now I know the Q is known for being a much higher scoring and open league than the other two but why can't Mac be just as good as the 2 in Edm? Is it something about his game specifically?
Picture a more physical version of Kessel. Basically a useless player except if he has the puck.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

SEPH can you give me some insight on Jones. I know you're a dub guy.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
LOL 100 points, 40 goal winger, 85 point centre? Whatever you're having I would like it.
How exactly are any of those outrageous? MacKinnon I could possibly see, as I am higher on him than most. I think he will be the next superstar. The others seem about like the consensus.

RNH as an undersized and oft-injured center on a bad team put up 52 points in 62 games. It isn't out of the realm that he becomes a PPG player. He had a better rookie season than Tavares. Also playing next to Hall and Eberle will allow him to just rack up assists. By the time he is 21 he will be a PPG player (read 80-82 points).

Yakupov easily has the shot and overall skill to score 40 goals. The issue will be that he will get 2pp and 2nd line mintues while Hall gets 1st line minutes. I could see it being ridiculous if I said he would be a 50 or 60 goal scorer, 40 just puts him in the top 10ish in the league. If he becomes a 40 goal player it will be because either himself or Hall are on a different team.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
SEPH can you give me some insight on Jones. I know you're a dub guy.
Beast.

Amazing skater for size
Great shot
Great first pass
Great vision (especially on the PP)
Great reach
Great with stick defensively
Good decision maker (could improve in this area as well)

- Watches the puck too much defensively
- Relies on his athleticism too much defensively
- Could be more physical
- Could improve his defensive positioning

Old
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Varly

whats up with Siemens?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Beast.

Amazing skater for size
Great shot
Great first pass
Great vision (especially on the PP)
Great reach
Great with stick defensively
Good decision maker (could improve in this area as well)

- Watches the puck too much defensively
- Relies on his athleticism too much defensively
- Could be more physical
- Could improve his defensive positioning
Sounds like EJ's scouting report in 06

Old
01-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote: