HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
First game with the Widow tonight. I had a hat trick but strangely I am not liking the stick lol. I think I may have gone overboard with trying a lower flex. I usually go with 85 flex SR sticks, but wanted to try an Int and see if it improved my shooting. Went with the 70 flex Int Widow, and it definitely has some crazy pop. I think it is just too whippy for me though, about 90% of the passes that came to me just popped right off my blade, when normally they would stick. I could literally feel the stick flexing just while stickhandling...probably not a good thing. Guess I need to break the crap out of it and ask for an 85 flex SR replacement?
Might just take some getting used to. I know when I went to an 85sr I literally felt the stick flex almost I half just from one touching a hard pass. Still holds up though and I haven't had any problems

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Ruhnie

It is probably a combination of a huge flex difference and moving from a mid-kick to a low-kick. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get used to it, but when it comes down to making a stick choice, I'll go with one that doesn't force me to have to think about how to shoot/flex properly, but just works. I may just be a stiffer flex mid-kick kind of guy...but I WANT to be a low-kick guy after seeing how snappers fly off this thing. Only problem is they fly OVER the net lol.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is probably a combination of a huge flex difference and moving from a mid-kick to a low-kick. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get used to it, but when it comes down to making a stick choice, I'll go with one that doesn't force me to have to think about how to shoot/flex properly, but just works. I may just be a stiffer flex mid-kick kind of guy...but I WANT to be a low-kick guy after seeing how snappers fly off this thing. Only problem is they fly OVER the net lol.
You do realize they make a sr. 75 flex right?

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
You do realize they make a sr. 75 flex right?
Yeah I do, but I wanted to try an Int stick at least once in my life, thought the sale price was as good a time as any to do it. I can't imagine a whopping 5 flex would make much of a difference though. As I found out from MSH forums (after I bought the stick of course), Warrior puts their flex zone on their sticks in a way that only spans the bottom 42" of the shaft. So basically you'd have to cut over 10" off to have any affect on flex. I was originally banking on my 3" cut upping the flex a bit, but yeah not so much.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
I'm ordering a Warrior Widow, but I can't decide between grip or clear, which would you guys recommend?

I previously had the stick'um grip on a Bauer x:40 and got really used to that.

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:01 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
I'm ordering a Warrior Widow, but I can't decide between grip or clear, which would you guys recommend?

lol are you going to ask us to help you choose color too?

go with whatever you want

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post

Lol just get the grip. TBH I find the nipple grip to be about the same or a bit less grippy than the grip tac.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Man Bear Pig

Bought an Easton Stealth a week ago. Played one game, went out for warmups the next game, broke it. Safe to say I'm not buying a Stealth again. They're known for this apparently.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
AIREAYE

Easton Stealth doesn't mean anything, they've had good product lines and bad ones. Just goes to show how important it is for a company not named 'Bauer' to put out good product consistently.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Yeah I do, but I wanted to try an Int stick at least once in my life, thought the sale price was as good a time as any to do it. I can't imagine a whopping 5 flex would make much of a difference though. As I found out from MSH forums (after I bought the stick of course), Warrior puts their flex zone on their sticks in a way that only spans the bottom 42" of the shaft. So basically you'd have to cut over 10" off to have any affect on flex. I was originally banking on my 3" cut upping the flex a bit, but yeah not so much.
Intermediates are rated 70 flex at ~3" shorter than a senior 75 flex.

So if you cut the senior sticks down to the same length as the 70, it would be somewhere around (completely ballpark):

55 flex = 55 flex
70 flex = 70 flex
75 flex ~ 85 flex
85 flex ~ 95 flex
100 flex ~ 110 flex

Give or take of course, and it depends on a bunch of things.

The only people who really get bugged are the ones who are in that gap between 65-70 flex intermediates and 75-77 flex senior.

And yes changing 1" in flex, even in "free flex zones" does seem to have a noticeable impact, maybe not night and day, but noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Bought an Easton Stealth a week ago. Played one game, went out for warmups the next game, broke it. Safe to say I'm not buying a Stealth again. They're known for this apparently.
Which Stealth model?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Intermediates are rated 70 flex at ~3" shorter than a senior 75 flex.

So if you cut the senior sticks down to the same length as the 70, it would be somewhere around (completely ballpark):

55 flex = 55 flex
70 flex = 70 flex
75 flex ~ 85 flex
85 flex ~ 95 flex
100 flex ~ 110 flex

Give or take of course, and it depends on a bunch of things.

The only people who really get bugged are the ones who are in that gap between 65-70 flex intermediates and 75-77 flex senior.

And yes changing 1" in flex, even in "free flex zones" does seem to have a noticeable impact, maybe not night and day, but noticeable.

Which Stealth model?
Well the Warrior rep on MSH seems pretty insistent that it doesn't make a difference, but ofc I'll take other people's anecdotal evidence into account and trust it a bit mroe. So probably next time I go Warrior I'll try the 85 SR.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Widow is very low kick which means the shaft is stiffer until just above the blade, so the shaft doesn't flex as much as a mid kick, so there's less flex effect. But it's still there.

Maybe for the Widow it's closer to 5 flex stiffer than 10. But then the original 70 flex rating is stiff. My Diablo at 70 flex (fused Widow) was one of the stiffest intermediates I've used.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

@ the guy who bought the lower flex Widow

That's completely normal to feel like the stick is too whippy or will break. I used to use a very high flex and when I made the switch it was awful.

Especially since some of my old sticks were virtually unbreakable. Don't put too much thought into it. If it breaks, it breaks. Just use it normally.

Don't break it on purpose. That's like 160 dollars down the toilet. I don't care who bought it, that's not right.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Man Bear Pig

Shoulda mentioned it before, it was a stealth s14(Hall curve with an 85 flex). Sportmart is going out of business so it was on sale. I've been using Eastons since before the original synergy and cannot remember having an issue with one so soon. I've broken other brands quickly before but never an Easton.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
OpenIceHit42

Any input on the Bauer Supreme One60? Broke one of my AK 27's last night and going to pick up a couple of sticks. I've felt the Supreme in store and liked it but just wanting some feedback from anyone that has used it

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

I have recently learned that the Ai9 75 flex Datsyuk has by FAR the best backhand of any stick I have used, great wrist and snapper as well, but a HORRIBLE (compared to my Warriors/Bauers) slapshot, although one timers can be great when I catch them right.

Leo Trollmarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Just broke my old Vapor XXX and I'm looking for a similar stick (low kick, stiff, etc) in the $100-160 price range. Any suggestions?

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Looking at purchasing the new Easton Mako II's. Can't decide between the M3 ($150) or the M5 ($200). Comparing them on Total Hockey, they're the same weights, but the M5 is made of 'kevlar wrapped composite' while the M3 is made of '3k woven carbon'. Is the M5 just more durable and is it worth the extra $50?

M5: http://www.totalhockey.com/product/M.../itm/11632-41/
M3: http://www.totalhockey.com/product/M.../itm/11634-41/

Kermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
AIREAYE

Well whether or not the extra $50 is worth it is up to you. The weight and balance on both are absolutely astounding. The M3 II is perhaps the lightest and best balanced stick out there at the regular $150 pricepoint. What makes the M5 II a 'step up' is in addition to weight, you get a performance increase. The big thing about the M5 II is that it is built to stronger specifications, thus being very durable. It's heritage comes from the old Easton ST generations but at a reduced weight; it's supposed to be the same weight as the 2011 flagship Mako.

If you have some extra cash floating around or need the extra durability, I would go M5. If not or if you don't break sticks often, the M3 is an excellent choice.

This entire Mako II line has been amazing; the M1 II and M2 II also feel like the lightest and best balanced sticks in their respective pricepoints. However, there hasn't been enough feedback and I haven't shot with them personally, so I don't know how well they perform. Only going by weight and balance.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
Just broke my old Vapor XXX and I'm looking for a similar stick (low kick, stiff, etc) in the $100-160 price range. Any suggestions?
Either stick to Vapor if you want a close approximation (though you are unlikely to find something that's very close to the XXX). Maybe a closeout X:60/X:50 if there are any left. In the current lineup, the X4.0 or X6.0 are pricepoint sticks in that range.

Reebok's Sickick series could work for you. Perhaps an old 10K or 11K/9K.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Well whether or not the extra $50 is worth it is up to you. The weight and balance on both are absolutely astounding. The M3 II is perhaps the lightest and best balanced stick out there at the regular $150 pricepoint. What makes the M5 II a 'step up' is in addition to weight, you get a performance increase. The big thing about the M5 II is that it is built to stronger specifications, thus being very durable. It's heritage comes from the old Easton ST generations but at a reduced weight; it's supposed to be the same weight as the 2011 flagship Mako.

If you have some extra cash floating around or need the extra durability, I would go M5. If not or if you don't break sticks often, the M3 is an excellent choice.

This entire Mako II line has been amazing; the M1 II and M2 II also feel like the lightest and best balanced sticks in their respective pricepoints. However, there hasn't been enough feedback and I haven't shot with them personally, so I don't know how well they perform. Only going by weight and balance.
Thanks for the advice! I haven't seen one in person yet as none of the shops around here have them yet, but after seeing the first gen Mako, I can imagine they're nice. A definite upgrade coming from my wooden Reebok!

Old
02-10-2013, 02:48 PM
AIREAYE

And you're not averse to spending 150-200 on a stick?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Well I got just a little bonus from work so I figured I'd spend it on something!

Old
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
AIREAYE

Aha indeed Though if you're willing to spend $150-$200, there are plenty of other options as well.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Aha indeed Though if you're willing to spend $150-$200, there are plenty of other options as well.
Yeah, I looked at Reebok's Ai and K series but I just liked the feel of the Mako's better. Not a big Bauer fan, although the new Vapor APX is probably the best I've held. Little over my price-range though!