HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Will do. Speaking of the Miken Z9 what curve did you end up with?

I read that you were thinking about trying the P14, did you not like the feel of it? Some say it's pretty ugly but easy to shoot with.

I practice alot on my technique and try different ways to shoot the puck, which I heard is a benefit, so I believe it should work for me.
Yep I went P14, check out that thread for my thoughts on the curve. It seems pretty good, but I keep wanting a bit more height on my shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
I think I am leaning toward the Widow for 2 reasons:

- It comes in a 70 flex Int, which is about the exact length stick I use. So not only do I not have to cut it and make it stiffer, I get to experiment with a lower flex for the first time ever.
- I really want to own a low-kick stick, if nothing else to learn how to use one and then be able to make an educated decision on what flex location I prefer.

Worst case it's only $100, plus the Nexus prices aren't going to change anyway lol.
If you're dropping down in flex, the Warrior feels stiffer than average (to me at least) because it's a low kick, so it will not be so drastic. I think you'll like it. Puck feel is great. Durability is hit or miss for some people but it's worth it for $100 I think.

Nexus is just crazy expensive. $230-250...no. They need a Nexus 800 at the $150 price point that weighs ~ 460-470g (right between the 600 and 1000).

Old
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
AIREAYE

The Widow feels as rated for me. Neither too stiff nor too whippy. The INT Widow is a stock 60" and flex will be unaffected even if you do chop down a few inches off of it.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

So, here I am with a noob question. If my research is correct, the length of the stick is determined by measuring the top of the shaft to the heel of the blade.

Basically, thanks to Jarick and a quick shootaround with the Miken Z9, I've decided to give that a go. Now I need to decide between a 70 and 80 flex because they would have to order the 70 flex. If I measured my current top of 6k 2-piece (75 flex shaft) to heel of blade correctly, I got 57 inches. The Z9 stick says it comes at a length of 60 inches, so I would need to cut off 3 inches which would add approximately 10-12 on the flex, if my calculations are correct.

My question to you Jarick, is do you have any experience shooting a 6K or similar stick and how would that compare to the Z9? Seemingly, it would turn my stick in to either an approximately 82 or 92 flex barring my calculations being somewhat accurate. I also have an AK27 shaft(85 flex), cut to the same length as the the 6k (57 inches total), that I absolutely hate because it feels way too stiff.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

6k is a standard shaft, right? 75 flex is a senior shaft as well.

How tall is your stick when you stand it up? Does it come to around your nose in bare feet, or is it taller/shorter?

I've always found Reebok sticks to play stiffer than what they are rated. Ordinarily at your height I'd recommend 65 flex (intermediate) but if you like 75 flex senior sticks, go for the 70 flex senior Z9.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

How tall is your stick when you stand it up? Does it come to around your nose in bare feet, or is it taller/shorter?

I've always found Reebok sticks to play stiffer than what they are rated. Ordinarily at your height I'd recommend 65 flex (intermediate) but if you like 75 flex senior sticks, go for the 70 flex senior Z9.
Thanks for your quick response. IIRC it's 61 inches when it is standing on its toe. It comes about even with my eyes barefoot, so it's a bit longer than other players prefer. I think I'll go with the 70 flex. Now I just have to wait.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay that makes sense. 70 flex is a good choice then.

Oh, loved Rescue Me btw.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...clear-int.html <<< This is NOT grip, it is clear composite

Go for it if you want, i've heard great things about this stick and the only reason I didn't buy it is because I went Total One.

$102 with 15 dollar shipping unless you can find it in a shop near you.

That's still 40 dollars or so less than Total Hockey is selling it.
Thx. Yeah I reeeally wished I could have found a TO w/ a P92 curve to get a true comparison to my other sticks, but closest I could find was the P91A. It's "almost" as good but it fails miserably for me on snappers, no idea why but I suspect it's due to the curve/twist being too close to the heel. So anyway, I'll keep the TO as my backup stick I guess.

Quote:
Yep I went P14, check out that thread for my thoughts on the curve. It seems pretty good, but I keep wanting a bit more height on my shots.

If you're dropping down in flex, the Warrior feels stiffer than average (to me at least) because it's a low kick, so it will not be so drastic. I think you'll like it. Puck feel is great. Durability is hit or miss for some people but it's worth it for $100 I think.

Nexus is just crazy expensive. $230-250...no. They need a Nexus 800 at the $150 price point that weighs ~ 460-470g (right between the 600 and 1000).
I apparently am unfazed by crazy expensive sticks, and it became an unfortunate obsession of mine last year. Went through 2 APXs and an RBZ in about 10 months. Ugh.

Btw does the Burrows curve = Zetterberg/PM9? Looking at grabbing a Widow for the wifey as well, she rolls with the Zetterberg. Thanks guys.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

Btw does the Burrows curve = Zetterberg/PM9? Looking at grabbing a Widow for the wifey as well, she rolls with the Zetterberg. Thanks guys.
Burrows and Zetterberg are different as the Zetterberg is more open.

If your wife is an Intermediate, you can find the Zetterberg curve here in the Limited Edition Blue and Limited Edition Red(if she can tolerate that haha)

Blue has grip:

http://redtag.totalhockey.com/produc...4-31/?mtx_id=0

Red does not:

http://redtag.totalhockey.com/produc...5-31/?mtx_id=0

If you want my opinion the blue isn't too bad if you don't mind some grip and when you tape the butt end with black tape it's not that annoying. I think it's better than a completely red stick but it always is preference. I also hate most grips, so if she does too I would just go with the red as long as she's okay with it.

Last edited by I Am Score*: 01-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I just found out that the Widow ONLY comes in Zetterberg curve with the Special Editions.

You likely will not find these in stores and will need to order it online if you want that curve.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
I just found out that the Widow ONLY comes in Zetterberg curve with the Special Editions.

You likely will not find these in stores and will need to order it online if you want that curve.
Sorry - my post was a bit misleading. She actually uses the Zetterberg Easton curve, I forgot he moved over to Warrior. I think it's now the Cammalleri curve. Good to know though! But yeah still trying to determine then, does Easton Cammalleri = Warrior Burrows?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
jsykes

Quote:

Yes, the Burrows is the same as the Bauer PM9 and the old Easton Zetterberg/new Easton Cammaleri.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

I find that that sentiment seems to be most apparent for the higher end Sickick models (10K, 11K, 9K) and the old O-Sticks (9KO, 8.0.8) ,while their respective pricepoints (6K, 5K etc.) feel true to rating. The AI series feels true to rating as well. The newer 20K line feels true to rating as well for me. I haven't heard enough feedback on that last part yet, but it's safe to say that that seemingly consistent rule of thumb regarding Reebok sticks is rather not.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Sorry - my post was a bit misleading. She actually uses the Zetterberg Easton curve, I forgot he moved over to Warrior. I think it's now the Cammalleri curve. Good to know though! But yeah still trying to determine then, does Easton Cammalleri = Warrior Burrows?
Yes, the Burrows is the PM9/Modano/Forsberg equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I find that that sentiment seems to be most apparent for the higher end Sickick models (10K, 11K, 9K) and the old O-Sticks (9KO, 8.0.8) ,while their respective pricepoints (6K, 5K etc.) feel true to rating. The AI series feels true to rating as well. The newer 20K line feels true to rating as well for me. I haven't heard enough feedback on that last part yet, but it's safe to say that that seemingly consistent rule of thumb regarding Reebok sticks is rather not.
The first generation Sickick I used (7k) was true to flex. I bought a Sickick II in 8k and 10k and both were INSANELY stiff for me, couldn't use them at all. Sickick III felt stiff to me in the store but I never bought them. Haven't bothered with the new ones either.

The AI sticks do seem like they play true to flex and that's partly why I liked the feel of them in the store.

Although if you're one of those people who wants like an 80-85 flex intermediate, find some of those older Sickick II or III stick in "65 flex". Felt like a 75-85 flex senior that had already been chopped down.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:17 PM
lilphill23

Aynone know what the the Warrior Gionta equivelent would be for a RBZ 60

Old
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
jsykes

There really isnt. The Landeskog would likely be the closest though.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Ruhnie

First game with the Widow tonight. I had a hat trick but strangely I am not liking the stick lol. I think I may have gone overboard with trying a lower flex. I usually go with 85 flex SR sticks, but wanted to try an Int and see if it improved my shooting. Went with the 70 flex Int Widow, and it definitely has some crazy pop. I think it is just too whippy for me though, about 90% of the passes that came to me just popped right off my blade, when normally they would stick. I could literally feel the stick flexing just while stickhandling...probably not a good thing. Guess I need to break the crap out of it and ask for an 85 flex SR replacement?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
AIREAYE

Probably should've tried 75 flex first...

Warrior does their warranty in-store, so I doubt any manager would let you exchange an INT SKU with a SR SKU.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
TieClark

Quote:
First game with the Widow tonight. I had a hat trick but strangely I am not liking the stick lol. I think I may have gone overboard with trying a lower flex. I usually go with 85 flex SR sticks, but wanted to try an Int and see if it improved my shooting. Went with the 70 flex Int Widow, and it definitely has some crazy pop. I think it is just too whippy for me though, about 90% of the passes that came to me just popped right off my blade, when normally they would stick. I could literally feel the stick flexing just while stickhandling...probably not a good thing. Guess I need to break the crap out of it and ask for an 85 flex SR replacement?
Might just take some getting used to. I know when I went to an 85sr I literally felt the stick flex almost I half just from one touching a hard pass. Still holds up though and I haven't had any problems

Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Ruhnie

It is probably a combination of a huge flex difference and moving from a mid-kick to a low-kick. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get used to it, but when it comes down to making a stick choice, I'll go with one that doesn't force me to have to think about how to shoot/flex properly, but just works. I may just be a stiffer flex mid-kick kind of guy...but I WANT to be a low-kick guy after seeing how snappers fly off this thing. Only problem is they fly OVER the net lol.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
thedonger

Quote:
It is probably a combination of a huge flex difference and moving from a mid-kick to a low-kick. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get used to it, but when it comes down to making a stick choice, I'll go with one that doesn't force me to have to think about how to shoot/flex properly, but just works. I may just be a stiffer flex mid-kick kind of guy...but I WANT to be a low-kick guy after seeing how snappers fly off this thing. Only problem is they fly OVER the net lol.
You do realize they make a sr. 75 flex right?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
You do realize they make a sr. 75 flex right?
Yeah I do, but I wanted to try an Int stick at least once in my life, thought the sale price was as good a time as any to do it. I can't imagine a whopping 5 flex would make much of a difference though. As I found out from MSH forums (after I bought the stick of course), Warrior puts their flex zone on their sticks in a way that only spans the bottom 42" of the shaft. So basically you'd have to cut over 10" off to have any affect on flex. I was originally banking on my 3" cut upping the flex a bit, but yeah not so much.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
I'm ordering a Warrior Widow, but I can't decide between grip or clear, which would you guys recommend?

I previously had the stick'um grip on a Bauer x:40 and got really used to that.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:01 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
I'm ordering a Warrior Widow, but I can't decide between grip or clear, which would you guys recommend?

lol are you going to ask us to help you choose color too?

go with whatever you want

Old
02-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post

Lol just get the grip. TBH I find the nipple grip to be about the same or a bit less grippy than the grip tac.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Man Bear Pig

Bought an Easton Stealth a week ago. Played one game, went out for warmups the next game, broke it. Safe to say I'm not buying a Stealth again. They're known for this apparently.

Closed Thread