HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changing our draft strategy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
  #101
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 476
Pizza, it really is a vicious cycle. We haven't had the balance yet but we are getting there. It's not that we have no 3rd and 4th liners. It's that we have incompetent ones in Rupp, asham ... And Haley just crapped out.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
  #102
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Pizza, it really is a vicious cycle. We haven't had the balance yet but we are getting there. It's not that we have no 3rd and 4th liners. It's that we have incompetent ones in Rupp, asham ... And Haley just crapped out.
So many people complain about the 3rd or 4th line, yet have no idea what they want out of the bottom 6 forwards. I find that fascinating.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
  #103
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
A year ago there was a lot of complaining about how many bottom six guys we had. Now that we have used some of those guys to acquire a first line guy there are complaints about our depth.

Interesting.

Because you need both.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
  #104
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So many people complain about the 3rd or 4th line, yet have no idea what they want out of the bottom 6 forwards. I find that fascinating.
I'm not saying what I want or don't want. Bottom six doesn't necessarily have to be huge heavyweight haymaker throwers. Look at Ferriero. Guys like that I see as ideal bottom six guys. Speed. Strength. Some skill. I never saw guys like Rupp or Scott or Asham, to a lesser extent, to make most of the bottom six. Bottom six doesn't necessarily have to have all the skill. Just... Not all pylons or goons. It's tough because right now we have a top heavy team with less than desired bottom depth. It's frustrating, and to see Bickel now on the fourth line is annoying.

That being all said I think if we pick up or trade for or draft a few size and speed bottom 6 guys soon, a center and some wings, we will look much better. I don't want to be overloaded on the top 6 and have no bottom.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
  #105
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
A year ago there was a lot of complaining about how many bottom six guys we had. Now that we have used some of those guys to acquire a first line guy there are complaints about our depth.

Interesting.
Everybody wants to eat their cake and have it too.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
  #106
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Pizza, it really is a vicious cycle. We haven't had the balance yet but we are getting there. It's not that we have no 3rd and 4th liners. It's that we have incompetent ones in Rupp, asham ... And Haley just crapped out.
It's been six games....

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
  #107
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So many people complain about the 3rd or 4th line, yet have no idea what they want out of the bottom 6 forwards. I find that fascinating.
I do as well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
  #108
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Because you need both.
Very true.

Everything I see this organization doing is about getting both. But that's just me.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
  #109
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's been six games....
Yeah but Rupp is a waste of oxygen proven last year in the playoffs. Ashams head is up his ass. Haley is unhappy in CT so we will end up either forgetting he exists or letting him go. But with stupid stages fights picked its hard to not be annoyed by some of our bottom 6

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
  #110
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Everybody wants to eat their cake and have it too.
True.

More true is that people like a little whine with their cake.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 PM
  #111
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Yeah but Rupp is a waste of oxygen proven last year in the playoffs. Ashams head is up his ass. Haley is unhappy in CT so we will end up either forgetting he exists or letting him go. But with stupid stages fights picked its hard to not be annoyed by some of our bottom 6
I've been thru this discussion before. We will have to disagree here, but here is my 2 cents.

You would be hard pressed to find a more dedicated professional that coaches and GM's trust more than Mike Rupp. So there is that.

Asham is what he is but for a 4th liner he is better than many.

Again, six games.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  #112
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,843
vCash: 500
We don't need to draft offensive superstars. We have money.

__________________
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
  #113
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Hockey IQ doesn't do you much good if your shot can't break an egg or you can't keep up with the play .

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
  #114
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
I'm not saying what I want or don't want. Bottom six doesn't necessarily have to be huge heavyweight haymaker throwers. Look at Ferriero. Guys like that I see as ideal bottom six guys. Speed. Strength. Some skill. I never saw guys like Rupp or Scott or Asham, to a lesser extent, to make most of the bottom six. Bottom six doesn't necessarily have to have all the skill. Just... Not all pylons or goons. It's tough because right now we have a top heavy team with less than desired bottom depth. It's frustrating, and to see Bickel now on the fourth line is annoying.

That being all said I think if we pick up or trade for or draft a few size and speed bottom 6 guys soon, a center and some wings, we will look much better. I don't want to be overloaded on the top 6 and have no bottom.
Didnt mean to imply you specifically - just in general. The bottom 6 can be whatever a coach wants it to be. Torts likes a 3rd line checking unit. Boyle has accepted that role and excelled in it - that, above everything else, is why it infuriates me people bash Boyle and say the need more offense. It shows a complete lack of understanding of his this team is built.

Anyway, regarding the 4th line, I agree that Rupp and Asham look like snails out there. But they are veterans and havent done anything to hurt the team. I think Torts would get rid of 4th lines completely if he could. They can also fight.

Personally, I like the 4th line bringing energy and hitting everything that moves, which this 4th line hasnt done. Give me a guy like Ryan Hollweg (but with a brain) on the 4th line and Im happy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
  #115
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 476
Agree with you on it all. Especially Boyle. Also, the stages fights hurt us. As long as they are defensively competent ... I'll be fine With them.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
  #116
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Didnt mean to imply you specifically - just in general. The bottom 6 can be whatever a coach wants it to be. Torts likes a 3rd line checking unit. Boyle has accepted that role and excelled in it - that, above everything else, is why it infuriates me people bash Boyle and say the need more offense. It shows a complete lack of understanding of his this team is built.

Anyway, regarding the 4th line, I agree that Rupp and Asham look like snails out there. But they are veterans and havent done anything to hurt the team. I think Torts would get rid of 4th lines completely if he could. They can also fight.

Personally, I like the 4th line bringing energy and hitting everything that moves, which this 4th line hasnt done. Give me a guy like Ryan Hollweg (but with a brain) on the 4th line and Im happy.
its no coincidence that winning teams all have 4th lines that contribute.

be it 6 minutes per game or over 10, good teams roll 4 lines that all play with purpose and get **** done. the perfect 4th line has a blend of size, grit and speed. scoring ability isnt really a prerequisite for a solid 4th line. but being a sloth should disqualify you immediately.

then theres torts who plays his top 2 lines over and over rendering those players tired and useless by the 3rd period and his 3rd line plays late in games when we need a tying goal ?



the torts system

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
  #117
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
its no coincidence that winning teams all have 4th lines that contribute.

be it 6 minutes per game or over 10, good teams roll 4 lines that all play with purpose and get **** done. the perfect 4th line has a blend of size, grit and speed. scoring ability isnt really a prerequisite for a solid 4th line. but being a sloth should disqualify you immediately.

then theres torts who plays his top 2 lines over and over rendering those players tired and useless by the 3rd period and his 3rd line plays late in games when we need a tying goal ?



the torts system
Care to explain how Torts won a cup with very, very limited minutes from his 4th line?

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
  #118
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Considering the unexpected success of Lundqvist and Stepan, we should just draft the best looking player.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
  #119
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Considering the unexpected success of Lundqvist and Stepan, we should just draft the best looking player.
Sometimes I cant believe how young Stepan is. He looks like a bloated troll sometimes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
  #120
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Considering the unexpected success of Lundqvist and Stepan, we should just draft the best looking player.
Hagelin's flow probably prompted the Rangers to draft him.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:21 PM
  #121
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Under his watch, the Rangers drafted double the rate of NHLers as other teams.
I'd like to see that proven . Double huh ? so everyone else in the league is all free agent signings .... Stop it .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
  #122
Maaxse
Registered User
 
Maaxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Wait, do we need to change our draft strategy?

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
  #123
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 476
Define strategy

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
  #124
zelrio*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I want high risk high reward drafting. No more D-men in the first round for a long time. I will bang my head through a wall if we draft another D-man in the first round this year. It's super rare to get a Giroux level player late, but since the team is competitive now this is a good time to roll the dice on maybe an undersized guy with very high potential like Giroux had.

Man we ****ed the '06 draft up so bad.
Sorry, but after drafting the best ****ing goalie of all time 205th overall in 2000, we're still not due for a lucky pick.

zelrio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  #125
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Care to explain how Torts won a cup with very, very limited minutes from his 4th line?
ok really ?

vinnie
richie
marty
andreychuk
tank
freddie
stillman
cullimore
sarich
kubina
boyle
lukowich
the bulin wall

pretty freekin stacked top 9 and 5 solid dmen

he rolled 3 lines solid and with that kinda talent, the 4th just gave those guys a blow.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.