HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Whoa wait...

Am I to understand the Penguins are not the only team that simply doesn't hand out primo playing time to scorers who when given a chance, never actually score?

In fairness, almost all of his chances in the NHL were under Maurice, whose idea of "giving them a chance" was prove yourself on the 4th line, then I might give you a chance in the top 9. He did get some top 6/9 chances, though, so it's not all due to "lack of chances". It did seem to me that the Canes had a very short leash with him though.

He's only played 4 NHL games under Muller (1 this year) so almost all of his chance in the NHL came under Maurice who without a doubt favors playing defensive minded veterans.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
But did Boychuk ever tie up a guy's stick while someone else made a nice offensive play? And what about center drive? CENTER. DRIVE.
Center drive - the ability to skate in a straight line towards the goal - and tying up another player's stick is something you don't learn.

They are God given abilities. Either you can do them, or you can't.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Jag68Sid87

I disagree with those suggesting he's going right back to waivers if he doesn't score. Boychuk is WAY more of a Bylsma type than Tangradi or Jeffrey, to name two.

I think Boychuk will stick. But as I said earlier, to me this is a move for the third line and for Brandon Sutter. What that means for the rest of the lineup is anybody's guess.

Old
Jaded-Fan

So in effect we traded Brian Strait for Boychuk.

I can live with that.

Though it could also be a move toward our quest for the first pick in the upcoming draft. A defenseman is the top rated prospect and we know how Shero loves his defensemen.

Old
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I'm thinking that's what we witnessed during last year's playoffs. The entire Pens team "giving up hole" all over the ice.
Lol. For some reason that typo cracked me the hell up. The audacity of hole.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
So in effect we traded Brian Strait for Boychuk.

I can live with that.

Though it could also be a move toward our quest for the first pick in the upcoming draft. A defenseman is the top rated prospect and we know how Shero loves his defensemen.
Now. Cut. That. Out.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Dupree13

Yeah but Seth Jones isn't a smallish "puck mover" so I highly doubt that.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
gafel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I disagree with those suggesting he's going right back to waivers if he doesn't score. Boychuk is WAY more of a Bylsma type than Tangradi or Jeffrey, to name two.

I think Boychuk will stick. But as I said earlier, to me this is a move for the third line and for Brandon Sutter. What that means for the rest of the lineup is anybody's guess.
Explain?

Old
01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post

In fairness, almost all of his chances in the NHL were under Maurice, whose idea of "giving them a chance" was prove yourself on the 4th line, then I might give you a chance in the top 9. He did get some top 6/9 chances, though, so it's not all due to "lack of chances". It did seem to me that the Canes had a very short leash with him though.

He's only played 4 NHL games under Muller (1 this year) so almost all of his chance in the NHL came under Maurice who without a doubt favors playing defensive minded veterans.
Yea we're used to that philosophy. You'll welcome him back to the organization in a month.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Terrapin

This is awesome news. A smaller, less talented version of Tyler Kennedy! I say we reclaim Richard Park, and put the two of them on a line w/ Cal O'Reilly. Just go all out into making the smallest, softest lineup in the history of hockey. In Shero We Trust!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Ugene Malkin
BŁck Dich Baby!

Free wings are the best-est ever!

Seriously, the Pens probably could use his spark on and off the ice. *Chirpy* with enthusiastic tendencies. Don't hate it, but when Niskanen gets back someone is being sent down, (Despres) or a trade/waiver is going to have to happen. I also heard somewhere, but we should see something else happen in the 10/15 game range as far as roster movement goes.

Lets hope he can charge up the team with his speed/chirping.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
You should follow hockey, drafts, junior etc.....then maybe you would have heard of him.
I do. I just don't know much about him.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
This is awesome news. A smaller, less talented version of Tyler Kennedy! I say we reclaim Richard Park, and put the two of them on a line w/ Cal O'Reilly. Just go all out into making the smallest, softest lineup in the history of hockey. In Shero We Trust!
OR we go forward with what clearly isn't working and don't even attempt to fix anything...even if it is a free 2 week trial essentially.

I think I'd rather try something, even if it isn't much, it's worth a shot.....better than sitting on our hands and doing nothing.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Jaded-Fan

I don't care if he looks like this for us.

In two weeks you send Lovejoy down and keep this guy.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
OR we go forward with what clearly isn't working and don't even attempt to fix anything...even if it is a free 2 week trial essentially.

I think I'd rather try something, even if it isn't much, it's worth a shot.....better than sitting on our hands and doing nothing.
If we're (the Stanly Cup favorite) resorted to picking up 5'7" scrubs off the waiver wire to play on our top line w/ Malkin, then Shero should be fired immediately.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Dupree13

Now watch Jeffrey go out there and pot 2 tonight wih Malkin.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post

Sweet Jesus!!!

You know that people here are clamoring for Maurice to be pried out of Russia to come coach the Penguins.

I don't know anything about anything anymore.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
Explain?
He's a speedy, straightahead type. He'll fit in with what Bylsma likes to do.

Think when Chris Kunitz was not yet established in the NHL, and was waiver fodder. Same deal with Boychuk.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
If we're (the Stanly Cup favorite) resorted to picking up 5'7" scrubs off the waiver wire to play on our top line w/ Malkin, then Shero should be fired immediately.
We should NEVER have been the Stanley Cup favorite to begin with.

We lost Sullivan, Park, Asham, Staal, Michalek.
We added Sutter, Vokoun, Glass.

That doesn't make us any better, in fact it makes us worse. Why the hell would we be the Stanley Cup favorites? Especially after our struggles down the stretch last year and into the playoffs.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post

Edit: I guess we won't be needing this anymore either:

Hilarious.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Gooch

This is an islanders type waiver claim and I don't say that in a bad way, I like it.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Guins71

I hope this does not mean Jeffrey is off the line with Malkin and Neal. I really think he could excel there if given the chance. What will probably happen is he will have 2 shifts where he doesn't produce and Boychuk will be placed on the line. Niskanen will return in a few weeks and Jeffery will be waived.

I think Jeffrey could be a 20-25 goal winger in this league.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Jaded-Fan

All kidding aside do you think that Boychuk even if he totally blows, means the end of Lovejoy? After all even if Boychuk blows he at least will be blowing at a position we are short on instead of blowing on defense like Lovejoy, a position we are up to the ears in.

I would rather keep the guy who blows in a position of need and see what happens than the guy who blows on defense, a position we have so much we are giving away guys who get a 4 year contract two weeks after leaving here for nothing.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Never give up hole.
Giggity

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Gotta love how he went from 5'10 on TSN, to 5'9 to a 5'7 scrub.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Closed Thread