HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Around the NHL 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Huh? They had great management considering they never had an owner.
Maloney and Tippet are darn good. I won't deny that. Before them, ownership of that team has done downright terrible things, moving that team out of the city of Phoenix and into Glendale for one. Making Gretzky a head coach is another. Trading off all their talent at the turn of the century was another.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

The funny thing about this deal falling through is that Doan signed a deal with the Coyotes thinking the ownership situation was finally stable. Now he's locked up with, and the team's future is back up in the air.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Down go the Hawks.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I feel bad for the Phoenix fans.

01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
Hope you don't mind me dropping by, but Bolland felt the same as Marchand during our playoff wars with them. They're easy to play against and it's just not in their DNA to stick up for themselves. With those guys at the helm it's never gonna change either but it sure as hell is fun to watch.
This is my concern about Zetterberg/Kronwall leadership.
If I was playing the Red Wings in a playoff series, first thing I'd do is cheapshot Zetterberg at center ice in front of the Wings' bench... and see if the Wings even react.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
The funny thing about this deal falling through is that Doan signed a deal with the Coyotes thinking the ownership situation was finally stable. Now he's locked up with, and the team's future is back up in the air.
Not real funny if you're Quebec and land this team. Lost in all the euforia of landing the team back, is that Doan who is over 35 will demand a trade or retire. His cap hit will stay on your books if he does retire, otherwise he will have a hammer in negotiations with a NTC.

I know just getting the team back will be awesome, but that is going to be a sticky situation almost instantly, because I see no way that Shane Doan does actually go to Quebec. Doan might go to Seattle, cannot see him doing the same if this team winds up where most people think it will.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Not real funny if you're Quebec and land this team. Lost in all the euforia of landing the team back, is that Doan who is over 35 will demand a trade or retire. His cap hit will stay on your books if he does retire, otherwise he will have a hammer in negotiations with a NTC.

I know just getting the team back will be awesome, but that is going to be a sticky situation almost instantly, because I see no way that Shane Doan does actually go to Quebec. Doan might go to Seattle, cannot see him doing the same if this team winds up where most people think it will.
If they disbanded Phoenix, could they then cancel the contracts? Give QC an expansion team w/ an expansion draft and start from scratch.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:42 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Wasn't it Doan who had something against Quebecers/francophones and was all over the media, some years ago?

Old
01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post

I have a hard time seeing a relocated team spend up towards the cap in the first three years.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Osgood As It Gets
Tatar Sauce

vCash: 651
Random thought, but with the way that Ovechkin is playing, could we have a Rick Nash-type situation very soon? He could fetch the same amount and Washington still has the tools to compete without him.

Someone like the Maple Leafs, Red Wings heck 29 other would be interested, I think.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
Random thought, but with the way that Ovechkin is playing, could we have a Rick Nash-type situation very soon? He could fetch the same amount and Washington still has the tools to compete without him.

Someone like the Maple Leafs, Red Wings heck 29 other would be interested, I think.
Would've been intriguing if he wasn't looking worse for each day and had his albatross of a contract. There's no excuses for him anymore, he declined under Boudreau, he declined under Hunter and he's still declining under Oates. It's not about scenery IMO, he's simply not the player who can beat guys to the outside and put it top shelf anymore. He's maybe a 35-40 guy right now and you don't pay 35-40 guys $9.5M no matter his past achievements.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I want no part of Ovechkin on the Wings. Overpaid prima donna.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Would've been intriguing if he wasn't looking worse for each day and had his albatross of a contract. There's no excuses for him anymore, he declined under Boudreau, he declined under Hunter and he's still declining under Oates. It's not about scenery IMO, he's simply not the player who can beat guys to the outside and put it top shelf anymore. He's maybe a 35-40 guy right now and you don't pay 35-40 guys $9.5M no matter his past achievements.
$9.5m is a lot of money, and probably overpaid a bit, but 75 points puts him in the top20 for scoring last season, and the majority of guys ahead of him make a good chunk of money. unless scoring picks up and we start seeing more guys put up 100+ points, I don't think his contract is far off - if he can be a 75 point guy on a consistent basis.

the problem is the guy is signed for eight or nine more years, and even if he's a 75 point guy for the next three or four, he's probably going to start falling into that 55-65 range at some point and then that $9.5m goes from a little overpaid to albatross overpaid. For signing a 13 year deal, that guy didn't give Washington a break at all.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
$9.5m is a lot of money, and probably overpaid a bit, but 75 points puts him in the top20 for scoring last season, and the majority of guys ahead of him make a good chunk of money. unless scoring picks up and we start seeing more guys put up 100+ points, I don't think his contract is far off - if he can be a 75 point guy on a consistent basis.

the problem is the guy is signed for eight or nine more years, and even if he's a 75 point guy for the next three or four, he's probably going to start falling into that 55-65 range at some point and then that $9.5m goes from a little overpaid to albatross overpaid. For signing a 13 year deal, that guy didn't give Washington a break at all.
He actually only scored 65 points last year, but I think that's taking it a little to the extreme and Washington had a horrible season. Ovechkin has a superstar contract but is "only" a star goal scorer. His cap hit is 800k more than the second highest. More downside than upside on his deal to matter how one slices it.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to want to take on that contract.

This is Ricelund speaking, but I've heard from a certain connected individual that Ovechkin has partying and thus fitness issues. He even spoke with Ovechkin about toning it down and AO apparently blew him off.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

So with Florida probably having to be sold and Phoenix likely being moved next season... Where do they go? I know Seattle and Quebec have been bantied about, but it seems none of the proposed relocations have an NHL ready arena yet.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
So with Florida probably having to be sold and Phoenix likely being moved next season... Where do they go? I know Seattle and Quebec have been bantied about, but it seems none of the proposed relocations have an NHL ready arena yet.
Portland, OR?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:

Why do you say that Florida will probably have to be sold?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Why do you say that Florida will probably have to be sold?
I thought I read somewhere that Florida has run into serious financial problems and wouldn't be able to sign Weiss, and likely have to be sold as well.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Moving Florida to Seattle isn't going to change a thing, as they'probably be moved 10 years later.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that Florida has run into serious financial problems and wouldn't be able to sign Weiss, and likely have to be sold as well.
Weird. Their owner made even money last season because of all the concerts etc. they had at the arena. They just signed pretty long lease, too iirc.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
joe89

Quote:
Sold =/= relocated. Sunrise has shown they can support a team and they've built a steady fanbase there. If NHL tries this hard to keep Phoenix in the desert, they'd probably try very hard to keep the Panthers in Florida.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Sold =/= relocated. Sunrise has shown they can support a team and they've built a steady fanbase there. If NHL tries this hard to keep Phoenix in the desert, they'd probably try very hard to keep the Panthers in Florida.
Ah... You're right.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

In terms of actual salary, Ovechkin is 9th or 10th or something. There's no backdiving in Ovie's contract.

I can't think of many teams who could justify Ovie's contract. If the Wings didn't already have Z, Franzen and Kronwall signed to contracts that are going to cost this team dearly down the road - I'd consider taking Ovie.

But even then, the cap is about to drop. So short term or long term, Ovechkin is unaffordable.

The awesome thing about this is that Leonsis was considered a "hawk" on the owners' side in the CBA and he he's essentially saddle himself with this contract forever.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Columbus... Fine job wearing out St. Louis for us... not...

Closed Thread