HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sergei Zubov Hall of Famer

View Poll Results: Zubov, Hall of Famer?
Yes, no brainer 16 27.12%
Yes, but he's a weak inductee 14 23.73%
No, Hall of very good 26 44.07%
No, no brainer 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Sergei Zubov Hall of Famer

Here's a guy i think has been underrated in time. IMO he was an elite defenseman and the player i was always most scared of when he was on the PP against the Oilers. One of the best puck movers of his time IMO he doesn't get his due. I think he had a solid if not very good defensive game yet it's often cited as a weakness. So i ask, is Zubov a Hall of Famer or just a very good player?

Last edited by Eskimo44: 01-31-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Crease

Hall of Very Good. There are defensemen with better resumes that aren't in the HHOF. Two Cups but only a single 2nd Team NHL All-Star nod, and almost no Norris consideration (finalist once in 2006). Zubov is lumped in with a group of guys like Adam Foote, Kevin Hatcher, and Eric Desjardins.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Hall of Very Good. There are defensemen with better resumes that aren't in the HHOF. Two Cups but only a single 2nd Team NHL All-Star nod, and almost no Norris consideration (finalist once in 2006). Zubov is lumped in with a group of guys like Adam Foote, Kevin Hatcher, and Eric Desjardins.
Interesting, thanks for the input.

Zubov was far far better than these guys IMO. Foote is tough to compare though. Zubov was a way more dangerous offensive player than either Hatcher or Desjardins, and i don't think Desjardins was all that better defensively (if at all). Hatcher may of had some terrific seasons too but he didn't have the sustain and many of his best offensive seasons were during some high scoring seasons. Hatcher also never won a cup, Zubov won 2 as a key player. Desjardins i don't think is close to Zubov at all to be honest, he was always a very mediocre #1 while Zubov was a top 10-15 dman for many many years. Zubov was just so good for so long. He scored 89 points in 94 and as you said over a decade later was still top notch, hence the Norris nomination. I would say a more appropriate comparision to his talent level for a guy not in the Hall would be Gary Suter, or to a current NHLer Gonchar. Zubov was just pure magic on the PP. I think being a Russian probably hurt him in terms of accolades, i do think that has an impact on a players reputation at times.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Crease

Zubov is certainly a different type of defenseman than the other three I mentioned but as far as historical rank goes, he's on the same plane as them, maybe on the top end. I like the Suter comparison too.

He was a great passer, but an average defender for many years. What's interesting about him is that as he got older his defensive game improved. He was a plus defender after the lockout when the game sped up. I'll give him that.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
He's my pick for the most underrated player since I started watching hockey as a kid in the late 80's. Was a monster and was fun as hell to watch but never got any recognition.

Hall of Famer in my books.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
I agree. He had a couple amazing seasons but his resume just isn't strong enough to warrant the HHOF spot. He was 2nd only to Lidstrom in scoring among defensemen throughout his career, which is pretty good, but again he doesn't have incredible career stats, doesn't have any hardware, only 3 All-Star appearances, 1 2nd-team All-Star and 0 1st-team. That kinda stuff is huge in making it into the Hall and Zubov just doesn't have it.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
kcunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
but again he doesn't have incredible career stats, doesn't have any hardware, only 3 All-Star appearances, 1 2nd-team All-Star and 0 1st-team. That kinda stuff is huge in making it into the Hall and Zubov just doesn't have it.
I don't know. TSN says he was named to 5 all star games, 2 Stanley Cups. Olympic Gold, WJC Gold. 771 points in 1068 games. Think he's pretty underrated.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=432

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is a great question. Zubov is a true borderline candidate who could very well go in either direction.

Comes down to what you think makes someone a Hall of Famer.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

No HOF, but very good.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
I don't know. TSN says he was named to 5 all star games, 2 Stanley Cups. Olympic Gold, WJC Gold. 771 points in 1068 games. Think he's pretty underrated.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=432
Playing in the all star game is not the same as being named to the all star team.

The all star game is for ***** and giggles and means nothing. The all star teams are named by the league at the end of the season and recognize the top 2 goalies, 4 defenseman, and 6 forwards (hence 1st and 2nd all stars).

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Senor Catface

As an Oiler fan, I could fully appreciate Zubov as a player.

I would vote yes, but like someone said, it's a close one.

And christ, 117 points in 164 playoff games for a D-man is really...really good.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

No. Hall of very good. If anything I would put Desjardins or Doug Wilson in over him. Plus some long overlooked players like Carl Brewer.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I would say he'd have a lot more fame if he was a Canadian player..just being honest.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Hall of Very Good, his lack of a Norris, IMO, prevents him from entering the Hall of Fame.

01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

Could go either way. As a Stars fan I really was spoiled getting to watch him every night as he was a great puck mover and his defensive game is underrated because he wasn't flashy about it.

The craziest thing about it is that he performed this well even though he was known to smoke during the game between periods.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
I would say he'd have a lot more fame if he was a Canadian player..just being honest.
This works both ways in terms of the question if Zubov is hall of famer. In some regards being a player who was born and grew up playing hockey from Russia is in some regards look higher upon because he'd be lumped in with other European or Russian hockey players which is a smaller # of players so his stats and accomplishments would look better. But like the poster said his ethnicity goes against him as well because he is Russian so he has unfortunate stigmas attached to him and less fans/support in NA where the Hall of Fame is. Not to mention even though it is called the Hockey Hall of Fame, its more like the NHL Hall of Fame, but with Zubov he isn't effected by that much because he did play a majority of his career in the NHL

I think he is a hall of famer because if you compare players in his era in terms of scoring hes top 5 im pretty sure of it

off top of my head players ahead of Zubov in scoring in his era are Lidstrom, Chelios, and Leetch. He's played a lot less games than them too

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
GuineaPig

Zubov is waaaay underrated.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Zubov is definitely better than all 3 of them.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Regal

I think he was underrated in his career which leads to underrating when you look at Norris and All Star voting. He's certainly borderline. In that Doug Wilson level IMO. If he was a forward he'd definitely be in but the defenseman standards have been higher. There might be a bit of a euro bias as well. Rob Blake will likely get in in the next couple years, and I would put them on a pretty similar level.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

It's interesting that Modano is a sure lock and Zubov is borderline when I'd argue their level of play was just about equal, at least in their time with Dallas.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
glovesave_35
Name

OP before I even read a single response I predict that Zubov will get very little love here. During his prime (and his prime lasted a long time) he was the best player on a team that was at the top of the league year in, year out. He also played a monster role in that team's Stanley Cup. He was pretty easily better than Niedermayer but is always ranked behind him for some reason.

I can't claim objectivity but I did watch him a hell of a lot and feel justified in saying that his brilliance was both subtle and spectacular; people tend to only recall the latter. He was much better defensively than most give him credit for (it was absolutely not a weakness of his game, far from it). His scoring consistency and the Stars' team success during his time in Dallas speaks for itself. The Stars dropped off a cliff the moment he started missing too many games and subsequently retired. He dictated the pace of games like few others.

I'm not sure if he'll get in but he should.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
It's interesting that Modano is a sure lock and Zubov is borderline when I'd argue their level of play was just about equal, at least in their time with Dallas.
I see it like this too. Mondano may have been a hair better

Edit: Wow it's tied 25 to 25 so far. With 14 no brainer votes the edge does go to yes so far. I'm actually a little suprised it's this close.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 01-31-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I see it like this too. Mondano may have been a hair better

Edit: Wow it's tied 25 to 25 so far. With 14 no brainer votes the edge does go to yes so far. I'm actually a little suprised it's this close.
My heart says he's a no brainer but I understand he's missing some of the things people look for in their Hall of Famers, i.e. All Star selections, etc. But, as someone mentioned above he was pretty underrated during his career which really effects voting for Norris, All Star selections and so forth. Because of this I voted "weak inductee" (though I was hoping it would be worded more like "borderline yes").

Also, Modano was great and should be in the Hall of Fame. I still feel pretty confident that Zubov was the better player.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I don't see how he's better than Doug Wilson.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
pdd

Personally, I rank Zubov above Niedermayer; Zubov was an elite defenseman for nearly a decade and was a very good defenseman for a decade before that. If you were to look at it on a year-by-year comparison, Zubov was better than Niedermayer most seasons. And during Niedermayer's peak, Zubov still should have had a first-team selection (2006, specifically).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote