HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
So now we are advocating making the Viktor Kozlov move again.

The Bure acquisition and Kozlov trades are the moves that set this franchise on the downward spiral from which it never recovered.

let's not go down that road again.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Honestly, no I wouldnt. Not because Ryan wouldnt be a top line forward for us but because he's only signed for another 2 yrs after this. Then he's gonna want a huge raise from his current $5.6M salary which we won't be able to pay him. So my question to you, is do you feel we could win the Cup in the next 2 yrs or not? I can't honestly say we're a Cup contender in 2 yrs just adding Bobby Ryan.

The big difference between Ryan & the situation last yr with Jeff Carter is he is signed for the next 10 yrs. If you said Bobby Ryan was signed for 7+ yrs, I would definitely take that deal in a heartbeat.
Honestly, I think it's a possibility.
I think we would have a very good chance to make the playoffs. And once you make the playoffs, it mostly becomes a crapshoot. Did anyone really think the Kings were Stanley Cup contenders last year?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
So now we are advocating making the Viktor Kozlov move again.

The Bure acquisition and Kozlov trades are the moves that set this franchise on the downward spiral from which it never recovered.

let's not go down that road again.
Yup that was kinda where I was going with this. We probably would get a slightly better player than Kozlov but then it wouldnt get us where we all want to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Honestly, I think it's a possibility.
I think we would have a very good chance to make the playoffs. And once you make the playoffs, it mostly becomes a crapshoot. Did anyone really think the Kings were Stanley Cup contenders last year?
The Kings last yr were much further along IMO than you give them credit for. Prior to the start of last yr, remember they made the trade to acquire Mike Richards (giving up a top prospect in Schenn & solid roster player in Simmonds). They already had a superstar forward in Kopitar and had a superstar d-man in Drew Doughty. Plus they had solid top 6 forwards in Dustin Brown, Justin Williams and potentially another with Penner. Their defense was solid beyond Doughty with Johnson, Mitchell, Greene, & Scuderi. And Quick was already coming off 2 yrs of winning 35+ games so they had goaltending. Most people thought the Kings were underachieving last yr and when they made that trade, it gave them the boost they needed because Penner just sucked in the regular season. We dont have the superstar players right now that the Kings had to start with last season. BTW, how did the Kings acquire those 2 superstars? Yup they had to draft them

Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yup that was kinda where I was going with this. We probably would get a slightly better player than Kozlov but then it wouldnt get us where we all want to be.The Kings last yr were much further along IMO than you give them credit for. Prior to the start of last yr, remember they made the trade to acquire Mike Richards (giving up a top prospect in Schenn & solid roster player in Simmonds). They already had a superstar forward in Kopitar and had a superstar d-man in Drew Doughty. Plus they had solid top 6 forwards in Dustin Brown, Justin Williams and potentially another with Penner. Their defense was solid beyond Doughty with Johnson, Mitchell, Greene, & Scuderi. And Quick was already coming off 2 yrs of winning 35+ games so they had goaltending. Most people thought the Kings were underachieving last yr and when they made that trade, it gave them the boost they needed because Penner just sucked in the regular season. We dont have the superstar players right now that the Kings had to start with last season. BTW, how did the Kings acquire those 2 superstars? Yup they had to draft them
And how did they get all of the other guys that put them over the top? They had to trade for them.

We have the best prospect pool in the game. It's not as if Dale is ignoring the draft, and such a trade wouldn't really change anything. It doesn't necessarily have to be Bobby Ryan either. It could be any forward who's the right fit. And if there is no right fit then we just continue with the plan.
All I'm saying is, if we can take a chance on a scoring line player who would make a difference, I think now (by now, I mean before next year begins) is a great time to do it. I think our core is pretty good even if it doesn't seem that way right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
luby3131

You build a team through the draft, and add players when you're about to make a run. This has been proven over and over again. Chicago drafted Toews, Kane, and Keith, among others, and added Hossa via free agency when they felt their window was open. LA drafted Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, and others, while trading for Richards prior to last season and Carter to start their Cup run. A team like St. Louis has drafted their entire core (Pietrangelo, Oshie, Perron, Backes, Taresenko) and will likely add a piece or two to supplant their Cup run.

It's very rare that a forward like Kovalchuk or Parise will be available in free agency. The only way to get forwards (or just players in general) of that caliber is to draft them. Tallon knows this. This team is in a long range rebuilding process that Tallon jump started by adding veterans as a bridge to the future. Our prospects will be brought along slowly, and that's the only way we'll have success.

Patience is the key to success.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Gaebriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Now guys, don't plan anything irrational..

Well, this escalated quickly.
Now it's two!

Old
01-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
One major problem guys about our epic tanking. We don't know how the new draft rules work yet, all I know is that all the 14 teams that miss the playoffs will have a chance at drafting 1st.
We finish last, and a 10th place team ends up with the 1st overall pick. That wouldn't even surprise me with our **** luck.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
One major problem guys about our epic tanking. We don't know how the new draft rules work yet, all I know is that all the 14 teams that miss the playoffs will have a chance at drafting 1st.
The odds for teams with picks #1-14 of winning the lottery are the same as they were before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
isnt mackinnon a center? Bjugstad, shore, grimaldi, and mackinnon would be down the middle not including weiss. A log jam?
Grimaldi is not a center. He plays wing. MacKinnon is listed as a center, but he's played a lot at RW this season too. I could see him ending up at any forward position, but I think he'd be best at wing because he's a much better sniper than he is a playmaker. He loves to burn defensemen to the outside and change gears on them. Once he accelerates into that top gear coming down the left side, and shields the puck with his body/arm, he's pretty much impossible to stop. And that acceleration burst happens instantly. Not many NHL defensemen could keep up with him, let alone junior defensemen. I'd like him to be the benefactor of many assists so he can do his magic on the wing. He can burn defenders to the outside or stickhandle right past them and cut to the inside.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Best case scenario IMO would be to pick 2nd with someone else picking Jones #1.

It's looking increasingly likely that Jones will go 1st overall.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

What if the #1 team picks MacKinnon?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Damn you're quick lol. Why do you say that?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Damn you're quick lol. Why do you say that?
Bobby Mac's tsn special.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Bobby Mac's tsn special.
I know, I saw it, but from viewing that it still seems it's pretty close. He only interviewed 10 NHL scouts and it was 7-3 in favor of Jones. And one scout actually switched from Jones to MacKinnon in the mid-term rankings. Somebody has to be ranked #1, but I still think it's pretty much what do you want, a forward or a defenseman. Jones probably has a slight edge among the majority, but who knows, we might be one of the teams who values MacKinnon at #1.

I'd be happy either way, but I rather we had the choice, and I especially don't want a team from 3-14 winning the lottery and bumping us to 3rd.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Knightmare

Quote:

No worries. We'll finish last and Edmonton will win the Lottery.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
FrolikFan67

if we get the #1, we pick mackinnon. its actually good that jones is now being ranked #1, because if we got the #2 pick then theres a pretty good chance mackinnon falls to us, which would be perfect.

to answer the bobby ryan question, if we cant grab a top 7 pick, meaning we get 8 or higher, and mackinnon, jones, barkov, drouin, lindholm, monahan, and shinkaruk are all taken, then yea i would trade that pick and kulikov for bobby ryan (or any proven high end forward in general).

if we draft barkov, what would it be with the panthers and our top centers being from finland

Old
01-31-2013, 04:17 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Maybe if we finish with the first we can get some extra draft picks or something from the team picking second to not pick Jones?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Boooooth10

Found a link to McKenzie's draft rankings show

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/855327/clip/0

Old
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
And how did they get all of the other guys that put them over the top? They had to trade for them.

We have the best prospect pool in the game. It's not as if Dale is ignoring the draft, and such a trade wouldn't really change anything. It doesn't necessarily have to be Bobby Ryan either. It could be any forward who's the right fit. And if there is no right fit then we just continue with the plan.
All I'm saying is, if we can take a chance on a scoring line player who would make a difference, I think now (by now, I mean before next year begins) is a great time to do it. I think our core is pretty good even if it doesn't seem that way right now.
The best prospect pool in the NHL is somewhat of a fallacy. We have an excellent group of NHL prospects, but it isn't definitely the best, and as development will show time and time again, the majority will fail.

Howden, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic, Grimaldi aren't all as special as some would lead to believe. Very good prospects, but i think maybe 1/2 will be an impact player.

Secondly, you don't trade a Top 5 pick for Bobby Ryan. Not in this draft. Certianly not combined with a player like Kulikov. All 5 elite Forwards in this draft are relatively close to the NHL. All 5 project to be excellent productive forwards. Certainly not interested in adding a significant piece such as Kulikov along with those for Ryan.

Jones is an elite prospect. Whereas i had and still do have a suspicion that Gudbranson was a definite reach at #3, Jones is the total package. I'd prefer a Forward, for obvious reasons, however Jones will be pretty hard to pass up if he's available whatever spot you are selecting at.

My preference marginally would be for Mackinnon. Largely because he's more overtly dynamic than the others. But it's close. I'd be extremely happy with Drouin, Barkov or Lindholm (and Monahan too although i think he's definitely below these 3). I think it's the top tier is 6 deep, and i'd be happy with all of them right now.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

We will be the worst team in the league this year and finish in last. Then win the lottery and get the number one overall pick. Tallon will get up on stage and draft MacKinnon.

The combo of MacKinnon (shooter) and Huberdeau (passer) is the future of the Florida Panthers.

It's our destiny.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
... time will pass and MacKinnon will turn out to be the biggest bust since Daigle.

It's our destiny.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
... time will pass and MacKinnon will turn out to be the biggest bust since Daigle.

It's our destiny.
Huberdeau will bust then, too.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Craig Button's February ranking:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
02-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Eyelanders

Two players who have impressed me lately are Alexander Wennberg and Ryan Hartman.

Wennberg plays for Djurgården in the Allsvenskan and he´s been really good. Great hands, vision and hockey sense. Plus, he has a good shot that he gets off quickly. Skating appears to have improved. He can play either wing or center, and he wins faceoffs at a good rate. More strength is needed, but he has a lot of quality skills and he just improves.

Hartman is a very competitive guy who is strong on the boards and likes to play a physical game. He does have skill too; he´s one of the leading scorers for the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL. He has dropped the gloves six times this season in that league.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta2009 View Post
Two players who have impressed me lately are Alexander Wennberg and Ryan Hartman.

Wennberg plays for Djurgården in the Allsvenskan and he´s been really good. Great hands, vision and hockey sense. Plus, he has a good shot that he gets off quickly. Skating appears to have improved. He can play either wing or center, and he wins faceoffs at a good rate. More strength is needed, but he has a lot of quality skills and he just improves.

Hartman is a very competitive guy who is strong on the boards and likes to play a physical game. He does have skill too; he´s one of the leading scorers for the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL. He has dropped the gloves six times this season in that league.
I was impressed by Wennberg in the WJC, I'd love to nab Hartman if we get a late 1st. He's played well all season long and is as gritty as they come. We need some more grit in our top 6.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I was impressed by Wennberg in the WJC, I'd love to nab Hartman if we get a late 1st. He's played well all season long and is as gritty as they come. We need some more grit in our top 6.
And it seems he's doing well with Trocheck as well.

EDIT: Of course as I type this, Trocheck scores less than a minute into today's game. Assisted by Hartman.

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 02-10-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Closed Thread