HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I would call it a #1 goalie starting 3 games in a row. Nothing more. In the season, you could very well run into a scenario where Schneider starts 3 in a row, what then? Are we going to anoint him the #1 and Lu the back up again?

Luongo staying for the year has nothing to do with long-term implications for the Canucks. Situation hasn't changed a bit.
Bleach, i know you think i'm just arguing, but be honest, did you think Luongo was going to get 5 starts in your first 8 games?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Man, the media is hilarious on this. I'm sure AV and Gillis are getting a good chuckle out of all of this.
Luongo basically said it's time to move on, next year happens he starts 3 in a row, including one against the blackhawks.

How things change

Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Bleach, i know you think i'm just arguing, but be honest, did you think Luongo was going to get 5 starts in your first 8 games?
It's technically only 4, though. Schneider started in Anaheim the first time.

Luongo played half of that game, Edmonton, LA, Colorado, and now Chicago. So 4.5 to be exact.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I thought they would split games, as much as they could. It would be stupid to have a player like Luongo and not fully utilize him during the season. Pure meritocracy.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. AV is a bottom line coach, he'll play who gives him the best chance to win. I'm sure it will even out over the course of the season. I think you are blowing this well out of proportion, but let's see.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
So Vancouver won the Luongo sweepstakes!
I don't know what's funnier. Your post or your avatar. LOL!
In any event Vancouver offers Schroeder and Tanev for Luongo. That's as high as we can afford to go.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Luongo basically said it's time to move on, next year happens he starts 3 in a row, including one against the blackhawks.

How things change

Change? Is Luongo the GM?

Time to move on does not equal immediate trade.

Nothing has changed. Long-term, the situation is still the situation.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I thought they would split games, as much as they could. It would be stupid to have a player like Luongo and not fully utilize him during the season. Pure meritocracy.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. AV is a bottom line coach, he'll play who gives him the best chance to win. I'm sure it will even out over the course of the season. I think you are blowing this well out of proportion, but let's see.
I'm just having a hockey discussion...not trying to stir the pot. I totally agree with running Luongo, just seems like Cory should be given the opportunity to be a #1 if that's what they think he is. I truely thought that Cory would be getting a bulk of the starts.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I don't think anyone thought he would start three in a row against LA, Coloardo and Chicago. Our morning radio sports station was shocked he got the start against Colorado. They will be buzzing all day today and tomorrow with this announcement of the start vs Chicago.
The funny thing is though that this is typical Vigneault. He does what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win and to hell with the politics of it. I'm not really surprised by this at all.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I'm just having a hockey discussion...not trying to stir the pot. I totally agree with running Luongo, just seems like Cory should be given the opportunity to be a #1 if that's what they think he is. I truely thought that Cory would be getting a bulk of the starts.

Last year, in some of the biggest games, Schneider got the start over Luongo. If they didn't think he was #1 capable, they would not have done that. In fact, people were incensed when Schneider started against Boston (I was one).

Nobody is "given" anything on this team. It's all been earned. Whoever wins, that's who plays. At the end of the year, the starts should end up pretty comparable, which is just what this Canucks fan expected all along.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't think anyone thought he would start three in a row against LA, Coloardo and Chicago. Our morning radio sports station was shocked he got the start against Colorado. They will be buzzing all day today and tomorrow with this announcement of the start vs Chicago.
The funny thing is though that this is typical Vigneault. He does what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win and to hell with the politics of it. I'm not really surprised by this at all.
I think AV is making the absolute right call.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Skead

Listening to Mike Gillis on Team1040

Gillis officially confirms Luongo approached them about options in a trade.

Q: Would you consider trading Cory Schneider?
A: I would consider trading any member on our team if it made us better; that being said I have not considered trading Schneider. A

Q: Have teams contacted you about Schneider?
A: GMs aren't reactionary as you guys, no GM has called me for Schneider just because Luongo has started 3 games in a row and plays well.

Q: Damian Cox said Ryan Kesler is about 2 weeks away; is this true?
A: That may or may not be true, Kesler is coming along very well and very positive about it but I don't want to give dates because hell will break loose if he's early or late.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Exactly. Most people saw this coming. Ferraro even commented on this on the Team1040: AV is ruthless with how he runs the team. If he thinks he can win with you, you're in.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Last year, in some of the biggest games, Schneider got the start over Luongo. If they didn't think he was #1 capable, they would not have done that. In fact, people were incensed when Schneider started against Boston (I was one).

Nobody is "given" anything on this team. It's all been earned. Whoever wins, that's who plays. At the end of the year, the starts should end up pretty comparable, which is just what this Canucks fan expected all along.
I agree, which is why i was surprised Cory didn't start against the Avs, after Luongo's loss to LA. Now, Luongo was great in that game, but with giving up the 2 goal lead, i was sure Cory would start next.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Should have traded Luongo before the season. This will not end well Nucker's!

Old
01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I think AV is making the absolute right call.
I agree. I don't see it as an issue short term although the Vancouver media (much like yours in Toronto) loves controversy. I may be in the minority of Canuck fans but I think that for Schneider to truly be the number one Luongo needs to be traded. You can't emerge with one of the best goalies of over the past decade still on the team. Luongo is a notorious slow starter but this year he looks so relaxed playing with no pressure and just having fun.
This reminds me of football where you have the elite veteran starting quarterback and the up and coming young guy. It could probably work for this year but at some point the young guy needs to be handed the reins.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Co Ho*

I wouldn't be quick to label this a controversy.
Who knows what's happening behind closed doors. Maybe this is just to showcase Luongo in his present form, and the team interested wants to see a decent sample size.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I agree, which is why i was surprised Cory didn't start against the Avs, after Luongo's loss to LA. Now, Luongo was great in that game, but with giving up the 2 goal lead, i was sure Cory would start next.

That should read, whoever AV thinks gives him the best chance to win. There's a difference. Luongo could win, but look shaky doing it, while Schneider could lose while looking really good doing it. It's the projection of the next game. This time, AV projected Luongo to give him the better shot against CHI.

Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

2/3 weeks until kesler. My god that is good news

Old
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Old
StringerBell

Quote:
I don't know what's funnier. Your post or your avatar. LOL!
In any event Vancouver offers Schroeder and Tanev for Luongo. That's as high as we can afford to go.
Holy overpayment! Have you seen his contract? If Vancouver really wants him they should just wait until the Canucks buy him out and claim him off waivers.

Old
Reign Nateo

Canucks kept both goalies because they didn't get anything worth wasting their enviable goaltending depth for. They have a strong team without scraps from the Leafs or Panthers or whoever. Now they're utilizing that depth. No one in Vancouver is, or should be, worried about who's starting. It's not going to automatically change things.

They decided they were better off having both goalies rather than what was offered. So far looks like a good move. That's the bottom line. People shouldn't be reading too much into it. It's what Gillis and the team has said they were going to do since day one.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I wouldn't be quick to label this a controversy.
Who knows what's happening behind closed doors. Maybe this is just to showcase Luongo in his present form, and the team interested wants to see a decent sample size.
Speaking for myself, his carreer would be sample size enough. I think might be a bigger contraversy if you DIDN"T start him after how he has played.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Exactly. Most people saw this coming. Ferraro even commented on this on the Team1040: AV is ruthless with how he runs the team. If he thinks he can win with you, you're in.
Is that ruthlessness or honesty?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
mavstar
No expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
2/3 weeks until kesler. My god that is good news
No doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing Kesler & Burrows reunited.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Should have traded Luongo before the season. This will not end well Nucker's!
What a problem having two solid goalies! I long for the good old days when we jsut had Dan Cloutier and none of these issues.

Closed Thread