HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Isles

Old
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
TOGuy14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Flawed, potential 30 goal scorers:
Grabner: $2m-$3m
Moulson:$3m+
Kessel: $7m-$8m

One of those does not belong on a budget tight NYI team
4 years at 30+ goals and Kessel is being grouped up with Grabner and Moulson as a potential 30 goal scorer.

HFBoards logic...

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
If kessels the piece that puts the islanders into the playoffs, past the first round in the time leading up to his ufa status, the islanders will make enough money to justify raising an internal cap.

I know you're hesitant because your franchise had been screwed by bad management, leafs fans sympathize, but if you have a piece like kessel help get you into the playoffs and make you a threat, why wouldn't you want to pull the trigger?

Grabner is a free agent looking for a raise at the same time as kessel, he puts up another 30 goals he could easily ask for 6 million. Is it preferable to have him at a mill or two less than kessel?

Grabner is in the 2nd yr, of a 5 yr deal. Kessel is a ufa in 2014.

Kessel at $5.4m is fine. Kessel at $7m-$8m is an overpayment. Imo he isn't worth $7m-$8m.

Isles are showing nice improvement this season without Kessel. They may or may not stick around the playoff race all season. We'll see. Either way, not much interest in giving up top talent for short term moves.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
4 years at 30+ goals and Kessel is being grouped up with Grabner and Moulson as a potential 30 goal scorer.

HFBoards logic...
and Moulson's scored 30 goals, 31 goals and 36 goals the last 3 seasons.

HFBoards logic... kessel's 30+ goals, are somehow more appealing or valuable

Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I read an article from the Toronto Star about the possibility of Kessel being shopped. I think Kessel/Tavares/Moulson would become one of the league's most unstoppable first lines. What do Leafs/Isles fans think would be a good proposal

Niederreiter
Mayfield
2013 #1 pick

Kessel
If he was being shopped you think there might be at least one real NHL player coming back. That package is awful.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
birddog*

Quote:
and Moulson's scored 30 goals, 31 goals and 36 goals the last 3 seasons.

HFBoards logic... kessel's 30+ goals, are somehow more appealing or valuable
The assumtion is -- playing with Tavares -- they'd be 40.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Tavares needs a power forward, not a speedster like Kessel. Bobby Ryan would be a much better fit with JT and Moulson.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Tavares needs a power forward, not a speedster like Kessel. Bobby Ryan would be a much better fit with JT and Moulson.
NYI do not have the assets to trade for Kessel. Not unless Harmonic, 1st + is coming back

Old
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
So the cash strapped Isles add rough $12m in salary, for 2 players who will be ufas in 2014?
No interest, not even tempted, in taking such Milburylike short term moves.

Like the Leafs, the isles are building with homegrown talent.
Unlike the leafs, the isles won't be spending anywhere close to the cap ceiling.
A succesful team fills the arena ($), playoff home games bring in tons of revenue ($), and the Isles need to give the fans a reason to come to the rink.

This "rebuilding w/ homegrown talent" plan has been dragging for years, you have Tavares, it's time to add some real talent.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
The assumtion is -- playing with Tavares -- they'd be 40.
Moulson's coming off a career high 36 goals. Too bad the lockout occurred because I'd have liked to have seen him to build off that.

Isles and Leafs are both building with their youth.

It is kind of ironic, that fans expect the team with financial issues to be the one adding the highest priced player, to be the one to ignore it's financial restrictions.

We are more likely to see Nino or Strome on Tavares wing, then Kessel.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
A succesful team fills the arena ($), playoff home games bring in tons of revenue ($), and the Isles need to give the fans a reason to come to the rink.

This "rebuilding w/ homegrown talent" plan has been dragging for years, you have Tavares, it's time to add some real talent.
The isles rebuild started in the summer of 2008, at that draft.

Isles fans are pleased by the progress we are seeing with our young nhlers and the development shown this season from our top youngsters:Strome/Nino/Reinhart/Nelson.

No interest, not even a little, in trading top prospects for 1 and 1/2 yrs of kessel.Or in seeing the isles be the team that's foolish enough, to give Kessel $7m-$8m per season.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Nino + Strome + DiPietro + 1st

for

Kessel

There, money issues solved...

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post

You don't understand the Islanders situation and what Crew is saying.

Sell out every game the Isles still lose money, even with their shoe string cap floor budget. Adding $12 million dollars in payroll, even if they make the playoffs, will cause them to lose even more money.

Not to mention, having to resign Kessel to a hefty raise, if he would even want to resign here.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Nino + Strome + DiPietro + 1st

for

Kessel

There, money issues solved...
Isle fans would rather buyout DiPietro at $1.5m per.

And even if the isles saw RD retire tomorrow or bought him out this summer, Kessel still would not be worth $7m-$8m per.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Isle fans would rather buyout DiPietro at $1.5m per.

And even if the isles saw RD retire tomorrow or bought him out this summer, Kessel still would not be worth $7m-$8m per.
Thank goodness he's not getting paid $7m-$8m then, huh?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be a nag but you've said it too many times. Kessel and Phaneuf are UFAs in 2015.

And everyone get's the contract issues - which are speculative - but in no way is Grabner or Moulson the same player as Kessel is. Plain and simple.
Capgeek's got Kessel and Phaneuf becoming ufas, in July 2014.

And I gotta be honest, I don't care about everyone's contract issues. I care whether the player fits into my team's tight budget, whether they will be around long term.

Isles would rather have Grabner at $2m and Moulson at $3m , then Kessel at $5.4m.

Isles would be the last team in the league, to offer Kessel $7m-$8m.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Thank goodness he's not getting paid $7m-$8m then, huh?
He's making $5.4m now and the press is already asking, whether he'll be asking for $7m or $8m in 2014.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
marty111

Quote:
Capgeek's got Kessel and Phaneuf becoming ufas, in July 2014.

And I gotta be honest, I don't care about everyone's contract issues. I care whether the player fits into my team's tight budget, whether they will be around long term.

Isles would rather have Grabner at $2m and Moulson at $3m , then Kessel at $5.4m.

Isles would be the last team in the league, to offer Kessel $7m-$8m.
You are right... I edited my post.

And just out of curiosity, do you think Kessel will get 8M a year from anyone? A guy like Gaborik is worth 7m, why isn't Kessel?

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
marty111

Quote:
He's making $5.4m now and the press is already asking, whether he'll be asking for $7m or $8m in 2014.
The press in Toronto also said Schenn would get 5-6M, Kulemin 4M, Bozak 2.5M, Reimer 3M, Gus 3M... they really have no idea what they are talking about.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
You are right... I edited my post.

And just out of curiosity, do you think Kessel will get 8M a year from anyone? A guy like Gaborik is worth 7m, why isn't Kessel?

I won't even guess, who'll be willing to pay Kessel $7m or $8m per.

I just feel sure that with the isles budget issues, he's too expensive for the isles. Their top player, Tavares, will only make $4m in actual salary this yr.

So, the idea that the isles should give up some of their top youngters for 1 and 1/2 seasons of Kessel, makes no sense imo.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
He can ask, doesn't mean he'll receive. If he got in excess of 7m its because it was bid up that high. Anyway, its just speculation.

I do agree that the Isles shouldn't be on the market for Kessel or players alike. And when I say players alike I mean stars approaching the end of their contracts. NYI either need guys who are on RFA deals or on multi-year deals (3+ years), either that or they need to make the playoffs so that it makes sense going after one of these types of guys.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Strome + 2013 first would be my asking price for Kessel from the Islanders, not saying they would do it just saying if I was the Leafs GM this would be my lowest I would go.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
kasper11

The fact is the Isles are not yet in a position to make this kind of deal. They would be making the same exact mistake Toronto made, only they would have a player under team control for even less time.

You don't trade away top prospects in a deal for an established player unless that player is going to get your team over the hump. If the Isles were already a playoff team, and though Kessel could make them a contender, it may be reasonable. But I doubt anyone looks at the Isles right now and thinks they are a contender, even with Kessel.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The fact is the Isles are not yet in a position to make this kind of deal. They would be making the same exact mistake Toronto made, only they would have a player under team control for even less time.

You don't trade away top prospects in a deal for an established player unless that player is going to get your team over the hump. If the Isles were already a playoff team, and though Kessel could make them a contender, it may be reasonable. But I doubt anyone looks at the Isles right now and thinks they are a contender, even with Kessel.
Yep, I think you summed it up pretty well. I don't think there is a basis for a "fair" deal here between these two teams around Phil Kessel

Old
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Swap Mayfield for Nelson
not happening. I dont see there being enough the isles want to give up for kessel nor leafs fans wanting to take what the isles WOULD give up.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
NYI do not have the assets to trade for Kessel. Not unless Harmonic, 1st + is coming back
Great, because I don't care for Kessel and Hamonic is more important to this team anyway. We have a deal to not have a deal.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote