HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI] Brian Strait signs 3-year extension ($775k cap hit, one-way)

Old
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Isn't it a little too quick?

I mean the money is very cheap, but what has he played five or six NHL games?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
He's playing on their top pairing and getting over 19 min a night. Hard to suggest that he'll only ever be a bottom pairing guy after what we've seen to date.

Good for Strait. Still bitter that we waived him instead of Lovejoy. Hope he plays great for the Islanders - just not against us.
Top pairing on the Islanders isn't top pairing everywhere else in the league. I could see him developing into a 2nd pairing (on a playoff team) by year 2 or 3 of his contract but he wont be anything more than a solid bottom pairing this year or next.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Top pairing on the Islanders isn't top pairing everywhere else in the league. I could see him developing into a 2nd pairing (on a playoff team) by year 2 or 3 of his contract but he wont be anything more than a solid bottom pairing this year or next.
More importantly, being on the top pairing doesn't mean you are a top pairing guy. For example, the Blues' top pairing over the last two years has been Pietrangelo and Huskins/Colaiacovo/Redden/Cole. The Blues' third pairing has Roman Polak, who could be a #3 probably, and Shattenkirk is on the 2nd pairing, even though he could be a 1st pairing guy

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Jaded-Fan

This does illustrate the problem with Shero's team building philosophy. It was not that Pittsburgh had no clue that Strait had talent, they knew. But we now have the deepest defensive talent pool in the NHL. No bad thing, except it has been at the expense of drafting and developing forwards. The idea floated was 'look what Goligoski got us, Neal and Niskanen. We can trade all this surplus for forwards.' The truth is that only at HF do prospects have much value. There have to be spots for them to play and go through the growing pains of developing before you can actually trade them for anything.

So you end up losing guys for nothing like this.

I do not care about losing Strait, the Pens have a lot like him or better in the system which is why he is gone. But I do care about Shero's flawed plan of being so unbalanced in the system to lose guys like this for nothing while having the forward cupboard be pretty bare.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He isn't on our top pairing (MacDonald-Hamonic). But he has outplayed Streit on the 2nd pairing. He is very good partner for a player like Streit. I don't think it's fair to write him off for the next couple years. Everything he has shown so far has been exceptional, and he doesn't have an offensive instinct to throw him off his game.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
This deal is pretty laughable. I guess 6 games gets you 3yr 1-way contract now. Ridiculous.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
He isn't on our top pairing (MacDonald-Hamonic). But he has outplayed Streit on the 2nd pairing. He is very good partner for a player like Streit. I don't think it's fair to write him off for the next couple years. Everything he has shown so far has been exceptional, and he doesn't have an offensive instinct to throw him off his game.
It would be pretty rare for a defenseman of Strait's type (positional defensive dman, ok skater, decent first pass) to become a top 4 guy that quickly after breaking into the NHL. Guys like him usually need to gain experience of playing against NHL players every night to get better so it will take him time. I'm not writing him off by saying it's highly unlikely that he becomes a top 4 guy within the next two years (and again I mean top 4 in the sense of a playoff team). 6 games is a very small sample size.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

There was a Newsday article from several days.
Cappy and Brent Thompson (Sound Tigers ex-headcoach), say they did a lot of scout of opposing AHL players during the lockout. They were looking for possible waivers pickups.

I would guess their opinions carried some weight, when deciding whether to offer him a contract.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
wej20

I'm sure they'll have seen Strait a fair amount, he's been consistent in the AHL for 3 years.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

I wouldn't put too much weight into this argument, the Islanders (especially the coaching staff) scout the AHL very deeply. This might be one of those guys Snow and Co have been looking at for a while.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Well done Shero, well done!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This deal is pretty laughable. I guess 6 games gets you 3yr 1-way contract now. Ridiculous.
I wonder what kind of deal he would have received if he played 12 games. After 144 games Rick DiPietro got a 15 year contract

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Haters gonna hate.

Got the AMac deal. Good for Strait.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
laughable? It's not even a million dollars.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Obviously a small sample size, but pretty much all Isles fans can agree this was well deserved. He has played like a top 4 shutdown guy so far. At the worst, he's an everyday #5. Could be a very good contract for the Isles.
Yupp, THANK THE ****ING LORD WE KEPT BEN "IM THE MOST USLESS ****ING PLAYER IN THE NHL" on our roster.... ughhh

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Please make a rule on max waiver claims a year, all I ask.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Quote:
yeah. i'm with you these contracts being thrown around are outrageous. a little over league minimum to a 25yr old AHL Vet defenseman who's played great and is playing great.

Owners shoulda locked the players out longer..

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Well done Shero, well done!
Don't worry this useless waist of skin is still around...

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
laughable? It's not even a million dollars.
How many 25 year old guys with 18 games experience do you see get 1-way deals? Its laughable but its not so bad at the same time. I wish Strait the best of luck. Always nice to see guys who pay their dues get their chance.

The Leafs have had lifetime AHL-er Mike Kostka up for 6 games and he looks like a guy who'll stick in the NHL. I just hope they're not preparing to offer him a multi-year, 1-way deal after a week

Old
01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
How many 25 year old guys with 18 games experience do you see get 1-way deals? Its laughable but its not so bad at the same time. I wish Strait the best of luck. Always nice to see guys who pay their dues get their chance.

The Leafs have had lifetime AHL-er Mike Kostka up for 6 games and he looks like a guy who'll stick in the NHL. I just hope they're not preparing to offer him a multi-year, 1-way deal after a week
Somewhere in hf archives, are the posts from NYI fans with mini rants aimed at Snow, after both the Frans Nielsen and Andrew MacDonald signings: they hadn't done enough to deserve multi yr deals, what was snow doing

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Streit to Strait.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Somewhere in hf archives, are the posts from NYI fans with mini rants aimed at Snow, after both the Frans Nielsen and Andrew MacDonald signings: they hadn't done enough to deserve multi yr deals, what was snow doing
Those guys worked out real well for you guys. Snow is doing the most with the resources he has available but that doesn't mean this move shouldn't be open to criticism, even if the criticism is a tad-bit petty

Old
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This does illustrate the problem with Shero's team building philosophy. It was not that Pittsburgh had no clue that Strait had talent, they knew. But we now have the deepest defensive talent pool in the NHL. No bad thing, except it has been at the expense of drafting and developing forwards. The idea floated was 'look what Goligoski got us, Neal and Niskanen. We can trade all this surplus for forwards.' The truth is that only at HF do prospects have much value. There have to be spots for them to play and go through the growing pains of developing before you can actually trade them for anything.

So you end up losing guys for nothing like this.

I do not care about losing Strait, the Pens have a lot like him or better in the system which is why he is gone. But I do care about Shero's flawed plan of being so unbalanced in the system to lose guys like this for nothing while having the forward cupboard be pretty bare.
I think the philosophy is more "we develop Dmen well and are better at picking them late."

Either way I am glad this thing worked out this well for Strait.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
kasper11

Quote:

There is risk, but it is pretty low risk with a potentially good reward. If he doesn't pan out, the Isles are paying a little over the league minimum for a #7-8 dman. If it does pan out, then the Isles have a $3M or so player for $775k.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Quote:

$775K a year really isn't much to a team that's teetering close to the salary floor anyway. I'd rather pay him $775K a year and have him (at worst) be a scratch vs someone who carries a $4+ million cap hit and salary and have them being a scratch.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote