HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
This clown has to go.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Seems like a really bad idea... but Stastny played great at the WC.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627305

Can anyone confirm or deny how decent of a coach Gordon might be? I never watched him in NYI.

My top two still are John Anderson and Jon Cooper.
LW, why are you setting your hopes so high? Is it just to have the inevitable feeling of being "downtrodden" when the Avs finally can Sacco and promote Quinn?

BTW, I would agree with you, this team needs a breath of FRESH air...fresh being the key word, someone from OUTSIDE the organization

Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Truth of the matter is, the minute he feels some kinda of pain regarding the AVs attendance the first move would be to limit the number of games available on TV....say hello to blackouts for all games not sold out.
Wouldn't that hurt in regards to the advertisers?
Fewer games televised = fewer people seeing my ad = I'm pulling my ads or at least paying less.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Would any other team in the league hire Sacco as their head coach... probably not.
Can any other team in the league say that about their coach... probably not.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Wouldn't that hurt in regards to the advertisers?
Fewer games televised = fewer people seeing my ad = I'm pulling my ads or at least paying less.
I can't imagine he's getting much for advertisement with the sad **** show he's got going on the ice.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

This team needs Dave Tippett. Maybe we can trade ROR + Barrie + 1st + offer to retain max amount possible of ROR's new contract for Tippett and Yandle.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
Claude Lemieux isn't coaching? ;-)

I honestly feel a tough coach would be best for this young team. Players fearing but respecting the coach and our opponents hating us.

Roy, Keenan... ok I'm no totally serious with the last one, things could actually get worse.

I'm a swede damnit, give me the names of the toughest coaches on NHL and AHL level, please.

Hmmm, Ulf Samuelsson is doing well in Sweden right now coaching Modo, the home team of Peter Forsberg.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
LW, why are you setting your hopes so high? Is it just to have the inevitable feeling of being "downtrodden" when the Avs finally can Sacco and promote Quinn?

BTW, I would agree with you, this team needs a breath of FRESH air...fresh being the key word, someone from OUTSIDE the organization
Like i said b4 , i wouldnt mind Jacques Martin, he would bring a lot of exp and a good def system that would make everyone on the ice look better. Plus his used to coach good off forwards ( From his time in Ottawa ) he knows how to handle them .

Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
This team needs Dave Tippett. Maybe we can trade ROR + Barrie + 1st + offer to retain max amount possible of ROR's new contract for Tippett and Yandle.
you're dreaming it's impossible , the Avs wont be able to do this ... but that's a great dream , i can give you this .

Old
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I wonder if we made a huuuuuuuuuuuuge online petition then printed it and sent multiple copies of it to Avs mgmt. Preferably with examples of the mistakes that Sacco continuously makes and the problems with this team.

It might not do anything but maybe the problem is that the accountant just doesn't know that Sacco's a bad coach and needs someone to point it. out?

Old
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Gretzky

Old
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Like i said b4 , i wouldnt mind Jacques Martin, he would bring a lot of exp and a good def system that would make everyone on the ice look better. Plus his used to coach good off forwards ( From his time in Ottawa ) he knows how to handle them .
Jacques Martin is the last person you would want coaching this hockey club, would not mesh well with Matt Duchene, he'd try to force him to change his style and become more of a defensive forward and not let him go. Remember what happened with Jason Spezza during his time in Ottawa? There was a rift there because Spezza is not the kind of player Martin likes, so he wouldn't use him much. Also in Georges Laraque's book he stated that Jacques Martin is by far the worst and most non-trustworthy coach he has ever played for.

I would rather this team hire Mike Keenan or Patrick Roy. If Keenan could get the most out of JR I see no reason for him to not get the same out of guys like Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Johnson etc

Old
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Jacques Martin is the last person you would want coaching this hockey club, would not mesh well with Matt Duchene, he'd try to force him to change his style and become more of a defensive forward and not let him go. Remember what happened with Jason Spezza during his time in Ottawa? There was a rift there because Spezza is not the kind of player Martin likes, so he wouldn't use him much. Also in Georges Laraque's book he stated that Jacques Martin is by far the worst and most non-trustworthy coach he has ever played for.

I would rather this team hire Mike Keenan or Patrick Roy. If Keenan could get the most out of JR I see no reason for him to not get the same out of guys like Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Johnson etc
Exactly, this young team need a tough coach, honest in your face leadership. I have mixed feelings for Keenan though.

My favorit NHL coach right now is Paul McLean, I'm not really sure about his toughness but I like and respect his leadership.

Last edited by 21: 01-31-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I just want Sacco gone at this point, I don't care who we bring in for the time being.

Seriously, I was thinking today about all the problems this team has had the last few days and no matter what every thing I thought about was brought back to Coaching.

Our teams utterly disastrous PK - Poor coaching and strategy on the PK. Putting Hunwick on the PK.

Our teams disaster PP - Sacco, putting the likes of Duchene on the point, and EJ off the PP entirely.

Our teams inability to score - Sacco has no offensive system at all, dump chase lose the puck, repeat again and again.

Our Inability to play from behind - Sacco cant motivate the team to want to win games, he cant fire the guys up.

Our terrible turnovers - We have no system or decent transition game that the players understand to move the puck where it should go, causing turnovers all the time.

I mean these are just a few of the issues right now, and they all come from poor coaching and a lacking ability to understand the game from Sacco.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

We need a offensive system coach. With the defense we have, we have to outscore our opponents and we have the talent to do it IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
We need a offensive system coach. With the defense we have, we have to outscore our opponents and we have the talent to do it IMO.

A Tampa Bay type of system would be fun.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
iceberg

Quote:
I want Sacco gone as much as every one, but i don't think we have that much talent.

I think a couple o players are really overrated here, McGinn especially. Reading our boards someone would think he is a 50 goal scorer going through a slump.

With the injuries and ROR out, we need a coach that can actually make this team play well defensively, teach the basics like clearing the puck out of the zone.

Someone (i think it was Freudian) mentioned how it's easy to gain the zone on us, be it 5x5 or on the PK. Other teams set up with minimal trouble while on the PP. There's where a good coach could make a diference.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

You can't teach a NHL to clear the puck right that's on the player. If the offense stays stagnant another week or so I can't see him staying. Defense is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Defense has been improving noticeably over the years.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
I actually agree with this. Sacco is coaching like were the B's or coyotes. Not doing a bad job either the style just doesn't work with the team.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
You can't teach a NHL to clear the puck right that's on the player. If the offense stays stagnant another week or so I can't see him staying. Defense is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Defense has been improving noticeably over the years.
I think over the last couple seasons this is more a result of the play of Varlamov/Giguere than it is Sacco's system

Old
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
So, you're saying that our players will never learn, then???

Why can't you teach it in the NHL? Clearly our team doesn't do a very good job at that. And its not a one man's job, by the way, as we saw yesterday.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Um...you do realize Sacco employed a pretty good offensive system when he first got here, right?

I just want the system that best fits this team. Granato tried employing firewagon hockey when he got the reins again only to realize the Avs were too old, slow, and not talented enough to play such a system, so he employed a quasi-trap (that I'm not sure he knew how to implement) instead. Right now, this team doesn't have enough speed/puck savvy on the blueline to implement an offensive-minded system.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:37 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Um...you do realize Sacco employed a pretty good offensive system when he first got here, right?

I just want the system that best fits this team. Granato tried employing firewagon hockey when he got the reins again only to realize the Avs were too old, slow, and not talented enough to play such a system, so he employed a quasi-trap (that I'm not sure he knew how to implement) instead. Right now, this team doesn't have enough speed/puck savvy on the blueline to implement an offensive-minded system.
While I agree to it at an extent, i'm sure we can play better than this dump and chase garbage with no breakout and no system. It went from a run and gun to this current setup, none which give us any type of puck control.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
While I agree to it at an extent, i'm sure we can play better than this dump and chase garbage with no breakout and no system. It went from a run and gun to this current setup, none which give us any type of puck control.
Part of that is because the guys who can skate the puck out of the zone and make crisp outlet passes (i.e., Liles) are mostly gone. Also not here at present are guys whose bread and butter are taking the puck away from the opposition (i.e., O'Reilly).

Also, part of playing a puck possession game is speed, the ability to win those races to the puck and use speed, passing, and skill to get space between you and the opposition. Right now the Avs are a little on the slow side (especially on defense) to do anything like this.

There's a reason we don't "run and gun" anymore. The elements that made us a run-and-gun type team aren't here anymore. A big reason we were so successful offensively was because of a defense that not only could skate/pass the puck to the forwards, but could jump into the play and did so quite often. You honestly don't think guys like Wilson, O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hejda can do something like this, do you?

A more offensive system could be employed if we had a defense that could implement it. We don't, so yeah, like it or not, we're a dump-and-chase team until the Avs make a move to acquire a puckmover or one of Barrie/Elliott finally make the team full-time and make an impact.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Worst coach in the NHL, and even worse than Granato.

I would be all for this guy getting fired if I didn't know we'd just promote Quinn or Army.

Closed Thread