HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
How does calling up Sill/Farnham/Payerl fix the hole in the top 6?
How does claiming Boychuk?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I don't have any issue with claiming Boychuk. How could you? No risk involved. I know very little about him, though. Sort of sounds like a near-bust. Oh well... hopefully one of those magical, cliched changes of scenery will do him good.

I just think it's a little sad that we're all clamoring to see how he'll do in our top six. So that's where we're at now, huh? Is there even any indication that that's where he'll be tried?
Possibly. But reading the Cane's board, it sounded more like he was blocked there by their depth at left wing. Their GM also seemed to want him back and is hoping the Pens put him back on waivers so looks more like a no room and needing time to develop issue than actual bust:

@ice_chip

Rutherford on what kept Boychuk from being NHL player: "With us, his consistency."

Rutherford said if Pens at some point this year decide to put Boychuk back on waivers, Canes would claim him.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
He's only played wing in Carolina and the AHL. He hasn't played center since Junior hockey.
Good to know thanks. At least he will fill a need on our roster as we are extremely thin at LW.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
haha I feel like I am getting boned in the hole every time I watch this terribly coached and handled hockey "team" that is known as the Pittsburgh Penguins.
I am sure that I am not the only one who thought of this picture when I saw that typo.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
How does claiming Boychuk?
Because he at least projects to be a top 6 winger. It's worth a shot. How anyone can find fault in this move is beyond me. We ***** and moan because we don't have any skill in the top 6 wingers and then we take a small risk on a guy and people ***** and moan.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Good to know thanks. At least he will fill a need on our roster as we are extremely thin at LW.
Yeah, think of him as Brain Strait with more upside. The Pens did not think that Strait did not have skill, he merely was blocked because we had so much talent ahead of him in the position he played. Move aside that we kept Lovejoy over him, he likely never would have played for us because we have better options. Now on the Isles he was gold. Boychuk is that for us because of how stacked Carolina is on wing that they could not give him a spot to develop on the NHL team, and how weak we are organizationally at wing. It does not mean that the Canes do not want him back and will not claim him the second that he would go back on waivers. It sounds like they still have high hopes for him developing down the road.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Rutherford said if Pens at some point this year decide to put Boychuk back on waivers, Canes would claim him.
Sounds like this kid has value in Rutherford's mind. We can trade The Golden Boychuk, Dumoulin and a 2nd to Carolina for Skinner.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Gees, At worst he's another Chris Bourque trial, and he didn't exactly cost them anything in terms of roster keeping anyone who deserved a shot from getting it.

His possible + is that he could end up being a supporting role guy for almost any line but number 4. I still want Jeffrey on line two so....maybe he can spell Kunitz or play some shifts on Sids RW. But we all are sure he'll bounce around a bit until they see he either fits somewhere or he gets put on waivers back to the, Canes.

Buys time.

Old
MtlPenFan

Jesus, outplayed on the depth charge by Tlusy?

Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
So you would rather give two guys with 3 goals combined a chance to play in our top 6 before taking a free chance on a kid who was drafted in the 1st round, has considerable wheels and offensive skills that maybe, just maybe needs a fresh start and could mesh with Sid or Geno?

You would rather pass on that free chance and never know? A chance that costs the team nothing?

As I said before, the WBS guys aren't going anywhere. If Boychuk doesn't work out, then anyone from WBS can get a shot. Why would you pass up the opportunity to give him a 2 week tryout while Niskanen is hurt, just to bring up someone from WBS that is there anytime you want to try them?

Sorry, I disagree, it makes no sense. Yes let's pass up a free opportunity in Boychuk in order to bring up guys that can't score in the AHL, that will be there all season if we want to try them.
Nick Johnson "wasn't going anywhere" either when they were claiming and signing other peoples' dead-end bums instead of giving him ice time. Johnson's no prize, exactly, but he's a multifaceted player who's still kicking around the league. Where are Bourque/Sterling/Pesonen now?

Strait "wasn't going anywhere" until he finally got his chance elsewhere and stuffed us the other night.

Believe what you want, but, in my opinion, Boychuk's a dead end. Not gonna be a contributor on a winner in any sense, in any year of whatever NHL career he has in front of him. Do I know Sill/Farnham/Payerl can't be a bottom 6 forward on a winner? Nope.

Any game that a dead ender like Boychuk, Bourque, Lovejoy or Cal O'Reilly dress for is one less game you have a chance to find out about someone who might be able to contribute in some capacity.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Because he at least projects to be a top 6 winger. It's worth a shot. How anyone can find fault in this move is beyond me. We ***** and moan because we don't have any skill in the top 6 wingers and then we take a small risk on a guy and people ***** and moan.
I'm not exactly the one "*****ing and moaning" the loudest about our young guys not getting ice time, but the reason they don't get ice time and we end up losing them for nothing is moves like this one.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

My first reaction when I read NHL.com was Johnny Boychuk from Boston.

Whatever. I think he'll end up like Cal O'Reilly. Be ineffective for the big club, then get sent down to WBS.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Sounds like this kid has value in Rutherford's mind. We can trade The Golden Boychuk, Dumoulin and a 2nd to Carolina for Skinner.
To clarify for those who don't understand, even with the sarcasm.

You can't trade recent waiver pickups.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post

Whatever. I think he'll end up like Cal O'Reilly. Be ineffective for the big club, then get sent down to WBS.
If you send him down then the Canes get first crack at him, and their GM said that they would take him back.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Jesus, outplayed on the depth charge by Tlusy?

Tlusty has played well in most games I saw.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:

You mean sent back to the Canes VIA, *waivers.*

Old
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
If you send him down then the Canes get first crack at him, and their GM said that they would take him back.
I was unaware of this. How does that work?

EDIT: wouldn't Florida (30th) have first crack at him?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

If you claim a player on waivers, then try to send him down, the team you claimed him from gets first crack.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:04 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
If you claim a player on waivers, then try to send him down, the team you calimed him from gets first crack.
Oh, okay.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:

Just how it sounds.

Player gets put on waivers and a team picks him up. Now that player hasn't worked out for said team and they would like to free up that spot, they now have to reintroduce him to waivers once more. The ruling is that the original team has first crack at sending him back down to the minors without having to place him on waivers a second time.

Now if they or no other team claims him he can be sent down to, WBS.

All other teams would have to have him up in the NHL other than the Canes unless he passes through waivers.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:

Johnny B is who I thought of as well, I was pretty pumped....and than I saw Zach Boychuk, and I was a bit disappointed, but I think he'll do fine with Sid and Geno, maybe give him a bit of time on the PP too

Old
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
You do realize who you are arguing with right? It's hopeless, haha.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
To clarify for those who don't understand, even with the sarcasm.

You can't trade recent waiver pickups.
That's the old CBA. The new one has special "Penguin Provisions" that allow this sort of option. Besides, I was thinking in a month or two (that's not "Recent" in Joe's book -- 2 months is like a decade in hockey player years). You didn't think all those "The Penguins are Gary's team" comments were baseless did you?

WE ARE SPECIAL.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

So someone explain to me how given the description of how he plays, smallish, skilled, quick, good wheels, could be a sniper, he fits anywhere but with Sid. He sounds like a terrible fit for Malkin or Sutter.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

as long as he's better than tyler kennedy, which isn't asking much, I'm happy.

Closed Thread