HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'm really intrigued to see what Manuel translates to in the NFL game. He needs some coaching but he's got incredible desire and passion for the game. Just makes too many boneheaded throws at times.

I really don't want to take a RB in the draft and ship out McGahee. McGahee is the fall back "safe" option in that backfield. If Moreno stumbles or gets injured, there would be no one to turn to. I see that Broncos backfield as McGahee/Moreno 1A/1B and Hillman as the third option and the third down running back. It's pretty clear they couldn't trust Hillman as much as they thought they could in his first year. I see him making big improvements next year, but I'd keep McGahee until I see it actually happen.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'm really intrigued to see what Manuel translates to in the NFL game. He needs some coaching but he's got incredible desire and passion for the game. Just makes too many boneheaded throws at times.

I really don't want to take a RB in the draft and ship out McGahee. McGahee is the fall back "safe" option in that backfield. If Moreno stumbles or gets injured, there would be no one to turn to. I see that Broncos backfield as McGahee/Moreno 1A/1B and Hillman as the third option and the third down running back. It's pretty clear they couldn't trust Hillman as much as they thought they could in his first year. I see him making big improvements next year, but I'd keep McGahee until I see it actually happen.
I would not touch Manuel with a 10 ft pole as a QB. I watched a lot of ACC football because Clemson is my team, and EJ Manuel isn't a pro QB.

The only NFL quality QBs in the ACC were Tajh Boyd and Mike Glennon. Manuel is a borderline 5th or 6th rd pick at best, if he is taken earlier its a reach. If Manuel were to not get drafted, I'd consider him as a free agent as he might be better than Hanie but I wouldn't spend a pick on him.

If the Broncos are looking at bringing another QB in there are much better choices in the middle rounds. Like a Landry Jones or Tyler Bray. Honestly I wouldn't look at QBs in this draft if I were Denver, its a very weak QB class.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I'm an FSU fan, and EJ Manuel just makes too many mistakes. He's got good talent and tries hard, he just doesn't have it. He's a guy who should sit for a while behind someone and refine his game, although I doubt he ever becomes anything.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Bonzai12

OK maybe I'm biased as a FSU fan, but Boyd really doesn't translate to a NFL QB for me either.

Manuel will be a backup in the NFL. That's definite. I just think he could be a pretty stable one.

Anyways, this QB draft class sucks. I hope the Broncos completely ignore the QB position. I'm still on the Osweiler bandwagon.

Alex Jones - curious, but do you go to Lodos or The Spot? Probably have seen you at one of those places if you've been there. I was at the FU-FSU game this year too. what a disappointment. I hate the $*$(@*# gators.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
LOL. I've been talking about Ty Warren and you've been talking about Gerard Warren.

That said, I want an upgrade at DT that is capable of collapsing the pocket and putting pressure on the QB.
That's funny - I actually thought Ty Warren would be a beast for the donkeys, but oh well. That guy is washed up.

Will be interesting to see what they do. The 2 DT's and MLB spot are all going to be interesting spots to watch. I'm with Habro that I've had it with DJ Williams. If there was any guy to trade on this team I'd ship out DJ for a pick. The guy is just unreliable with all of his off field problems, and I always thought he was really overrated by the Denver media.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
anleva

Quote:
That's funny - I actually thought Ty Warren would be a beast for the donkeys, but oh well. That guy is washed up.

Will be interesting to see what they do. The 2 DT's and MLB spot are all going to be interesting spots to watch. I'm with Habro that I've had it with DJ Williams. If there was any guy to trade on this team I'd ship out DJ for a pick. The guy is just unreliable with all of his off field problems, and I always thought he was really overrated by the Denver media.
Yeah I agree on DJ. Wesley Woodyard was outstanding and has now replaced DJ as the starter. DJs contract and off the field issues are a problem. I'm sure they will first try and restructure his deal and he will probably refuse so they will ship him out. They need to try and restructure Mays as well. Both those move will free up even more cap space to improve the defense up the middle.

I'd love the to draft Ogletree but they would have to trade up to get him. Minter is also intriguing and has been impressing some folk and he might be around by the time they pick in the first round. Or maybe Arthur Brown in the 2nd. I want nothing to do with the Manti Te'o circus.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
I'd love the to draft Ogletree but they would have to trade up to get him. Minter is also intriguing and has been impressing some folk and he might be around by the time they pick in the first round. Or maybe Arthur Brown in the 2nd. I want nothing to do with the Manti Te'o circus.
I want Minter, but this whole Te'o junk is driving up Minter's value which is a bad thing for us.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
OK maybe I'm biased as a FSU fan, but Boyd really doesn't translate to a NFL QB for me either.

Manuel will be a backup in the NFL. That's definite. I just think he could be a pretty stable one.

Anyways, this QB draft class sucks. I hope the Broncos completely ignore the QB position. I'm still on the Osweiler bandwagon.

Alex Jones - curious, but do you go to Lodos or The Spot? Probably have seen you at one of those places if you've been there. I was at the FU-FSU game this year too. what a disappointment. I hate the $*$(@*# gators.
Neither one. I usually watch games at my house. Once every great while I'll watch a game up at Benders by the Promenade or the Lazy Dog in Boulder.

I have a dislike for the Gators, but generally I just hate the Canes. Other than Nebraska, they are the last team I ever cheer for.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:29 PM
chet1926

Quote:

Boyd is significantly better than Manuel. Manuel has a shot a being a career backup type. Boyd has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL especially with the way more and more NFL teams are going to the up tempo, read option style offenses.

I think you might have you're FSU blinders on a bit on this one. Boyd will be a 1st or 2nd round pick next year, assuming he doesn't completely blow it like Barkley did this year. Boyd will put up big numbers though as he still has a good run game and some real talented WRs. Clemson will be a national title contender next year, with the players they have returning. They only have 3 tough games Georgia at home, FSU at home and S Carolina away. The two home games I give them a good shot at winning because they play well at Memorial Stadium, S Carolina on the road will be difficult but not impossible. The ACC will come down to FSU and Clemson again.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah I agree on DJ. Wesley Woodyard was outstanding and has now replaced DJ as the starter. DJs contract and off the field issues are a problem. I'm sure they will first try and restructure his deal and he will probably refuse so they will ship him out. They need to try and restructure Mays as well. Both those move will free up even more cap space to improve the defense up the middle.

If we can get a box of used jock straps for DJ and/or Mays I'd take I'd consider it theft. I'm okay if both are cut ($10 million combined) and would rather not deal with a restructure. It'd just be prolonging the inevitable.

What do you Free Shoes fans think of Vince Williams?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post

I think we should go after Stevan Jovetić.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
anleva

Quote:
If we can get a box of used jock straps for DJ and/or Mays I'd take I'd consider it theft. I'm okay if both are cut ($10 million combined) and would rather not deal with a restructure. It'd just be prolonging the inevitable.

I'm not a fan of either DJ or Mays so that would be fine with me. My guess is DJ is released and Mays restructured.

Actually another guy who is overpaid given his erratic production is Doom. Love Doom when he is on, but a lot of money for a one dimensional player who disappears for stretches. That's a guy I would like to see restructured to give more roster flexibility.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:57 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
If we can get a box of used jock straps for DJ and/or Mays I'd take I'd consider it theft. I'm okay if both are cut ($10 million combined) and would rather not deal with a restructure.
Agreed, but who is going to play MLB? Irving hasn't looked the part. I want no part of Brooking again. Aside from Woodyard (who was simply terrific this season), there isn't a LB on the roster who can cover.

And does anyone besides me think that Tony Carter sucks? Chris Harris I'm on board with, but Carter can neither jam receivers nor tackle worth a crap. If/when Bailey gets too old (or he gets hurt), having Carter being a potential starter isn't going to work, IMO. Hopefully, Bolden is ready for at least nickel duty next year.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Agreed, but who is going to play MLB? Irving hasn't looked the part. I want no part of Brooking again. Aside from Woodyard (who was simply terrific this season), there isn't a LB on the roster who can cover.

And does anyone besides me think that Tony Carter sucks? Chris Harris I'm on board with, but Carter can neither jam receivers nor tackle worth a crap. If/when Bailey gets too old (or he gets hurt), having Carter being a potential starter isn't going to work, IMO. Hopefully, Bolden is ready for at least nickel duty next year.
They have to get a MLB in the draft or free agency. It's a critical need. There are a couple free agents that could fill the part as a short term solution. See who is there in the draft and players like Brooking would probably still be available if worst came to worst after the draft.

Tony Carter had some good moments, but I don't like him as a starter either. Nickel back OK, but not a starter. Our future starting CB alongside Harris is not on the roster yet. Also need to grab a free agent at CB too I think.

Honestly the Broncos need the most help and improvement right up the middle of the defense. DT, MLB and S.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

New Rox BP cap per Troy Renck...I really like it...

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

The only thing more depressing than the current state of the Avs is the fact that the Rockies season has yet to start.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

You never know the Rox could shock...aw who are we kidding. They'll trade Cargo or Tulo by the ASG.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
EJ Manuel is a bum. Please no one mention him as a legit pro prospect. The only qb in the acc that was worse was that scrub from Vagina Tech.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I would not touch Manuel with a 10 ft pole as a QB. I watched a lot of ACC football because Clemson is my team, and EJ Manuel isn't a pro QB.

The only NFL quality QBs in the ACC were Tajh Boyd and Mike Glennon. Manuel is a borderline 5th or 6th rd pick at best, if he is taken earlier its a reach. If Manuel were to not get drafted, I'd consider him as a free agent as he might be better than Hanie but I wouldn't spend a pick on him.

If the Broncos are looking at bringing another QB in there are much better choices in the middle rounds. Like a Landry Jones or Tyler Bray. Honestly I wouldn't look at QBs in this draft if I were Denver, its a very weak QB class.
Landry Jones has terrible footwork and will need a full rework by a qb coach and Bray is a flat out quitter.

With the read option surely seeping into more nfl teams, there will be teams looking for qbs that can run and throw. Since guys like rg3 are rare, I expect them to go after qbs in the late round or ones who go undrafted and use them as disposable qbs and guys won't be able to take the pounding of a full season. Accuracy won't matter when wrs are wide open off of play action. Just keep 3 of them and rotate them as each gets too beat up.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:18 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Draft or free agency. The fact that the Broncos wheeled out Brooking's cadaver to play MLB should tell you how much better than nothing those two were.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Bonzai12

I actually would like to see the Broncos grab a pass coverage LB. They haven't had a good one for a while. When you don't have a pass coverage LB and your safeties are average at best, it's an issue.

Mays sucks - supposed to be a run stopper but Brooking outplayed him - that's how terrible Mays is. As much as I can't stand DJ, he at least wraps up his tackles. Joe "Shoulder" Mays is the worst tackling run-stopper I've seen on the Broncos. ever. You could saw off Joe Mays forearms and hands and not notice a difference in his play - he never uses them anyways.

I don't like Vince Williams BTW...I thought he was too injury prone. Smart guy and good work ethic but I don't think he'll be good in the pros. I thought the Broncos should have taken a flier on Burfict last year and now he's Cincy's starting ILB. We could have had him as an unsigned FA.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:29 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Landry Jones has terrible footwork and will need a full rework by a qb coach and Bray is a flat out quitter.

With the read option surely seeping into more nfl teams, there will be teams looking for qbs that can run and throw. Since guys like rg3 are rare, I expect them to go after qbs in the late round or ones who go undrafted and use them as disposable qbs and guys won't be able to take the pounding of a full season. Accuracy won't matter when wrs are wide open off of play action. Just keep 3 of them and rotate them as each gets too beat up.
Agree on Landry Jones and Tyler Bray, they both suck but would be better options than Manuel. I personally wouldn't touch a QB from this draft.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think we should go after Stevan Jovetić.

I really think hes a quality player who can make a difference. Signing a good left back is good but there not game changes which is what Arsenal need.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
I actually would like to see the Broncos grab a pass coverage LB. They haven't had a good one for a while. When you don't have a pass coverage LB and your safeties are average at best, it's an issue.

Mays sucks - supposed to be a run stopper but Brooking outplayed him - that's how terrible Mays is. As much as I can't stand DJ, he at least wraps up his tackles. Joe "Shoulder" Mays is the worst tackling run-stopper I've seen on the Broncos. ever. You could saw off Joe Mays forearms and hands and not notice a difference in his play - he never uses them anyways.

I don't like Vince Williams BTW...I thought he was too injury prone. Smart guy and good work ethic but I don't think he'll be good in the pros. I thought the Broncos should have taken a flier on Burfict last year and now he's Cincy's starting ILB. We could have had him as an unsigned FA.
I thought Woodyard did a pretty good job in coverage.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
The only thing more depressing than the current state of the Avs is the fact that the Rockies season has yet to start.
I'm largely done with the Rockies for now. I've watched that team mire in absolute incompetence for a decade and a half, I'll still watch some but I'm done following them closely for a while.

Closed Thread