HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
  #351
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
It's a ****ing joke. I would bet nearly, if not every team in the league would take him on their roster at his salary.
Credit where credit is due - Smyth played fantastic last night. Also featuring skating!

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
  #352
Da McBomb
Registered User
 
Da McBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
When I saw the puck bounce into the air and Yakupov standing in position to bat it in, I was thinking in my head "no way he can do it again".. and booooom he does it again. Oilers should have Yaks stand there all the time and lob passes into the air or look for rebounds for him to bat a few more in

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
  #353
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 500
Smyth is doing fine.

Hes not a young guy any longer. He isnt going to carry this team on his back, but if the coach can keep his icetime down, when it really counts he can be there to make the difference.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
  #354
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,339
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post


And Dan O'Toole keeps moving up in my books.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
  #355
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
When I saw the puck bounce into the air and Yakupov standing in position to bat it in, I was thinking in my head "no way he can do it again".. and booooom he does it again. Oilers should have Yaks stand there all the time and lob passes into the air or look for rebounds for him to bat a few more in
unsustainable batting percentage

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
  #356
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
So does Doan get away scot free?

Hockey Nightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
  #357
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,339
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
So does Doan get away scot free?
Not a suspendable hit, should've been a penalty on the play.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
  #358
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
So does Doan get away scot free?
He's the star player in a crappy market where the NHL owns the team. He could have taken off his skate and thrown it at Horcoff's head and there wouldn't be a suspension.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
  #359
SchultzSquared*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I really want Yak's next "celly" to be where he skates painfully slow to the bench, eyes at his feet, hands stiff at his sides... and just like bumps into everyone else on the way there...

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
  #360
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not a suspendable hit, should've been a penalty on the play.
Any hit is a suspendable hit.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
  #361
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,624
vCash: 500
With Doans suspension history I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned it. A few musings on twitter but that's about it, if Horcoff has a concussion there should definitely be disciplinary action on a hit from behind.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
  #362
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,283
vCash: 50
I hope my boy Ben Eager is ready to rock on saturday, free reign, just grab OEL and kick his ass all over the ice, you take out our high priced players we take out your stars.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
  #363
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,339
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Any hit is a suspendable hit.
That one wasn't suspension worthy is what I meant

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:25 PM
  #364
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
I hope my boy Ben Eager is ready to rock on saturday, free reign, just grab OEL and kick his ass all over the ice, you take out our high priced players we take out your stars.
We play the Avs on Saturday.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
  #365
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That one wasn't suspension worthy is what I meant
interference
from behind
unsuspecting player
significant injury
from a player with a suspension history

I disagree.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
  #366
Slatsmsg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
interference
from behind
unsuspecting player
significant injury
from a player with a suspension history

I disagree.

This. Definitely worthy of suspension. Furthermore, I do believe in the eye for an eye under these circumstances. Mr. Doan better have his head on a swivel next time they play or it may end up on a platter.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
  #367
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsmsg View Post
This. Definitely worthy of suspension. Furthermore, I do believe in the eye for an eye under these circumstances. Mr. Doan better have his head on a swivel next time they play or it may end up on a platter.
I certainly wouldn't be upset if OEL had to walk (or be helped) down the tunnel at some point next time we meet.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
  #368
SnooPac
Registered User
 
SnooPac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Anyone have Yakupov's interview with Gene after the game?
I didn't get a chance to see it.

Even if you PVR'd it and can record it with your cell phone and post it that'd be fine .

Thanks

SnooPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
  #369
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Obviously this probably won't apply but could it in this case?
It might be able to but I think when they look at the whole scenario, Whitney did throw the first shot that started the big tussle. I think it gets thrown out.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
  #370
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Last year:

Doan- 22 goals and 50 points
Smyth- 19 goals and 46 points

I'd say its pretty close. And Smyth is his equal in intangibles, even if Doan is more physical.

I agree with what you're saying in general about Doan... But I'm just tired of the ridiculous pile-on Smyth is getting on this board. He's still a solid depth player for us. You'd think he was ECHL calibre going by this board.
They're nowhere close to being equal in the toughness department, and Doan is better offensively. Both Smyth and Horcoff would get their ass kicked by Doan so bad it is just laughable.

When we played LA, posters on this board were predicting LA's big tough forwards would run us out of the rink. When PHX plays LA, Doan totally dominates them physically:



As I said, he would look awfully good in our top six.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
  #371
Worraps
Registered User
 
Worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,074
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
They're nowhere close to being equal in the toughness department, and Doan is better offensively. Both Smyth and Horcoff would get their ass kicked by Doan so bad it is just laughable.

When we played LA, posters on this board were predicting LA's big tough forwards would run us out of the rink. When PHX plays LA, Doan totally dominates them physically:



As I said, he would look awfully good in our top six.
I guess it's a good thing for LA, that games aren't settled by fist fights.

Doan sure dominated LA last spring:


Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:55 PM
  #372
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I guess it's a good thing for LA, that games aren't settled by fist fights.

Doan sure dominated LA last spring:

He was one of the best players in that series, while Horcoff and Smyth were watching from the golf course, which has been the pattern here for years now.

I like the player. He won the Mark Messier Award last year, lead his team to the final four, and generally kicked ass the whole way.

Next time we play the Coyotes, maybe somebody from our team should challenge him. Nobody did a thing last night ...

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #373
sepHF
Patreeky
 
sepHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
He was one of the best players in that series, while Horcoff and Smyth were watching from the golf course, which has been the pattern here for years now.

I like the player. He won the Mark Messier Award last year, lead his team to the final four, and generally kicked ass the whole way.

Next time we play the Coyotes, maybe somebody from our team should challenge him. Nobody did a thing last night ...
Well as long as the coaching staff has their heads up their ***** and keep dressing guys like Corey Potter over guys like Fistric they're not going to have people on the ice who can bring that element.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
  #374
DisgruntledGoat*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
He was one of the best players in that series, while Horcoff and Smyth were watching from the golf course, which has been the pattern here for years now.

I like the player. He won the Mark Messier Award last year, lead his team to the final four, and generally kicked ass the whole way.

Next time we play the Coyotes, maybe somebody from our team should challenge him. Nobody did a thing last night ...
You seem to be confusing the NHL with the UFC. No one's going to argue that Doan isn't a better fighter than Smyth.

And don't go back to the, 'made playoffs' well for a guy that was 35 before he saw the second round of the playoffs.

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
  #375
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Well as long as the coaching staff has their heads up their ***** and keep dressing guys like Corey Potter over guys like Fistric they're not going to have people on the ice who can bring that element.
You're right. Here's how real leaders stick up for teammates:



If Doan was "dirty", which has been repeatedly posted in this thread, he could have continued pounding on Dustin Brown after once again ragdolling him to the ice.

I just looked on the Wikipedia page for "The Mark Messier Leadership Award" and found this:
The Mark Messier Leadership Award is a National Hockey League (NHL) award that recognizes an individual as a superior leader within their sport, and as a contributing member of society. The award is given to a player selected by Mark Messier to honor an individual who leads by positive example through on-ice performance, motivation of team members and a dedication to community activities and charitable causes.
Didn't realize it is Messier himself who selects the winner. I think I'll take his opinion of Doan over the nonsense being posted in this thread.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.