HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blues Shot Differential is Off the Charts

Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I'm confused at how the Blues' goalies having high save percentages has much of anything to do with the team allowing less shots than their opponents (last season).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Bad News Bears
LISTEN TO LIFETIME

vCash: 500
They're a really good team. I wish the Leafs would start to use a system based approach.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
hardrim
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
I was skeptical of St. Louis being a contender this season because last season they relied too much on their goaltending.
Except this isn't true at all because they were #1 in the league in fewest shots against last year too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Quote:
Yet the Blues have picked up right where they left off with a 5-1 start, but how they've done it is a complete reversal from how they won last year. Their goaltending svp is 7th worst in the league so far (it was 1st last year), but unlike last year they are completely dominating the play between the goalies (and behind the net).
Not really...not at all actually. The Blues were scoring by committee last year, it's just that their committee had fewer members. 3 of their top 6 forwards were out for extended periods of time (MacDonald, Perron, Steen), so just by roster, they weren't going to score as many. The guys who were in scored as they should. This year (so far, they are healthy) and their scoring matches their committee.

Quote:
No doubt that 13.7 will come down, but it's still an impressive display of dominance in the early season. How are they doing it?
The same way they did last year, but they are scoring more so poor goalie performances aren't causing them losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Mclellan often institutes the exact same system...

...also, we're 5th in goals...what's not exciting?
You are right. SJ, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Nashville all play a very similar system.

hardrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
They're a really good team. I wish the Leafs would start to use a system based approach.

It all starts with drafting.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Then again, national commentating as far as I've seen is the least informed.
How dare you, Pierre McGuire knows the junior team of every single player on the ice at any given time....

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
ZamboniZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
It all starts with drafting.
Thank You Jarmo Kekelainen.

HM: John Davidson

Last edited by ZamboniZombie: 01-31-2013 at 12:26 PM.
ZamboniZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
don't have the players to do that

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
don't have the players to do that

The talent level is not even close

Old
01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
bunjay

Remember last year when the Blues finished with 109 points, scored 45 more goals than they allowed, and went to the conference finals?

People who don't realize that the Blues are good haven't been paying attention.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
I was skeptical of St. Louis being a contender this season because last season they relied too much on their goaltending. Namely, Brian Elliott gave them a half season's worth of a .940 svp and there's no way that was sustainable going into this season.
I would wager you didn't watch many, if any, blues games last year if you really think that was the case. Based purely on Elliott's save percentage.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Remember last year when the Blues finished with 109 points, scored 45 more goals than they allowed, and went to the conference finals?

People who don't realize that the Blues are good haven't been paying attention.
I sure as hell don't...

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
I sure as hell don't...
Sorry, semis. Where they got crushed by the team that lost a total of 4 games on their way to the cup. You get my point.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Sorry, semis. Where they got crushed by the team that lost a total of 4 games on their way to the cup. You get my point.

And were without Pietrangelo and Halak.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Most of it has to do with our forwards being very good two-way players that buy into the system. All seem to take it personally when the other team gets a shot on net.

Backes, Oshie, Steen, Sobotka could all be finalists for the Selke. Schwartz could be as well when he adds NHL strength. He is still just a bit undersized. Tarasenko could also be a finalist in time. The kid works hard in his own end. He never coasts.

Perron and Berglund have become solid defenders thanks to Andy Murray. Murray really beat it into Perron that good defense equals winning.

There is only one team that I've seen play better hockey this season and that is the Chicago Blackhawks. This is based more on their game last night against Minnesota than the game against the Blues when St. Louis was playing the 2nd of a back-to-back.
I missed the 1st period, but the Wild got nothing going offensively against Chicago after the 1st(15 shots in period 1). It was one weak shot from 30 feet out and then back the other way.

I really hope the Western Conference Finals come down to St. Louis and Chicago.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Most of it has to do with our forwards being very good two-way players that buy into the system. All seem to take it personally when the other team gets a shot on net.

Backes, Oshie, Steen, Sobotka could all be finalists for the Selke. Schwartz could be as well when he adds NHL strength. He is still just a bit undersized. Tarasenko could also be a finalist in time. The kid works hard in his own end. He never coasts.
I agree that the Blues are a very, very good team (who doesn't?) but you seem to have too generous an understanding of the word "finalist."

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Wouldn't be surprised if Elliot and Halak changed their names to Cechmanek and Mason.

Blues fan btw

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I agree that the Blues are a very, very good team (who doesn't?) but you seem to have too generous an understanding of the word "finalist."
Backes has already been one. It is just a matter of having a good enough offensive season for Oshie(funny how that works) . Steen probably the same. Sobotka probably will never be one but I was more making a point of how good these guys are in both ends. Have a drink and loosen up!

It would also help if Datsyuk retires or regresses soon. He is going to be a finalist for the next few years.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm confused at how the Blues' goalies having high save percentages has much of anything to do with the team allowing less shots than their opponents (last season).
I'm confused at how saying Elliott's .940 svp is unsustainable is the same thing as saying the Blues were outshot by their opponents (last season).

David McConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Phu

The blues are a flat out scary team. It's one thing to play well and win, but another thing to play a gameplan so well as to not even give the other team a chance.

Phu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrim View Post
Except this isn't true at all because they were #1 in the league in fewest shots against last year too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary
Having one of the lowest shots against per game is sustainable, Elliott's .940 svp isn't. If Elliott's svp was merely .920 (which is still good) the Blues record wouldn't have been anywhere near as good, regardless of the good team defense. So yes, Elliott's phenomenal (and unsustainable) play did in fact have a huge positive effect on the Blues record last year (and their appearance of being a contender).

Quote:
Not really...not at all actually. The Blues were scoring by committee last year, it's just that their committee had fewer members. 3 of their top 6 forwards were out for extended periods of time (MacDonald, Perron, Steen), so just by roster, they weren't going to score as many. The guys who were in scored as they should. This year (so far, they are healthy) and their scoring matches their committee.
You quoted me but I don't see how this disagrees with anything I said. Last year the Blues generally outplayed their opponents and had amazing goaltending. So far this year they are completely dominating their opponents and have had poor goaltending. "But last year they scored by committee"... what?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
I would wager you didn't watch many, if any, blues games last year if you really think that was the case. Based purely on Elliott's save percentage.
You've misinterpreted what I said.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

unsustainable?

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
LetsGoBLUES91

Quote:
Having one of the lowest shots against per game is sustainable, Elliott's .940 svp isn't. If Elliott's svp was merely .920 (which is still good) the Blues record wouldn't have been anywhere near as good, regardless of the good team defense. So yes, Elliott's phenomenal (and unsustainable) play did in fact have a huge positive effect on the Blues record last year (and their appearance of being a contender).

You quoted me but I don't see how this disagrees with anything I said. Last year the Blues generally outplayed their opponents and had amazing goaltending. So far this year they are completely dominating their opponents and have had poor goaltending. "But last year they scored by committee"... what?
So you don't believe they are cup contenders...

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
You've misinterpreted what I said.
If what you said is not what you meant, that's cool. But what you said is very, very clear. You said it's a "complete reversal" from how they won last year, and "unlike last year" they are dominating the play between the goalies.

They were dominant between the goalies last year, too. It's not a complete reversal - only two things have changed: their save percentage is lower and their shooting percentage is higher. Everything about their control of the play is the same as it was last year - not reversed from or unlike last year.

Those are the comments to which people were reacting, and I don't know another way to interpret them.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
LetsGoBLUES91

Oh I get it now. I see your passionate hatred for all things "Blooze" from other threads. Move along people.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote