HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Corey Potter Conundrum

View Poll Results: Who should be the Oilers 6th D?
Potter 4 2.05%
Fistric 187 95.90%
Peckham 4 2.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2013, 04:59 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
The Corey Potter Conundrum

Why is this guy playing so many games?

Potter was one of the worst defencemen in the league last season, with only seven defencemen in the league (with >50 games) getting scored on more often than him at even strength. He didn't kill penalties, he wasn't tough, and he was horrible offensively (outside of a 10 game stretch at the start of the season). He also brought down every defenceman that was partnered with him.

This season, nothing has changed. Potter is bleeding goals against at even strength and making bad plays on the penalty kill. He has been on the ice for four of the six even strength goals against in the four games he has played despite playing bottom pairing minutes. He was also on the ice during the tying goal last night in which he had a chance to clear the zone but blew it. He turns over the puck too much and makes bad pinches. To go along with his horrible defensive play, he has been completely anemic offensively and isn't a physical presence at all.

In the two games that Potter sat out, our bottom pairing wasn't scored on once. Fistric was our toughest player and although he was responsible for a couple of odd man rushes against, he played much better defensively overall than Potter has in his four games. I'm sure Whitney would much rather be partnered with Fistric.

The consensus on these boards seems to be that Potter needs to go. I can't help but feel like some players on the team probably feel the same way. He injured two of his teammates last year and is continuing to bring down the team. There must be some resentment towards him.

So what's the deal?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
The only thing I can think of is that he is a RHS.

Peckham, Fistric, N.Schultz, Smid and Whitney are LHS ..

Other than this I have no idea why Kruger finds him so valuable. I dont mind the guy playing if there are injuries but this is getting stupid.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
From the sharks GDT, though it may be more appropriate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
They are trying to get Whitney going by keeping him on the side he's most comfortable with(LD).

Fistric is also a LD, and apparently is not comfortable playing the right side at all.

So Potter plays and Fistric sits.
It's odd then that Whitney playing with Fistric looked so much better than Whitney with Potter if Whitney doesn't feel comfortable on the other side.

Also if Potter is only in to keep Whitney happy, why is he seeing PK time, especially late in games?

The organization can spin this how they like, but Krueger obviously likes Potter more than Fistric.

Edit: My thought is that Potter looks better in practice because Fistric's strengths of rubbing guys out and clearing the crease aren't as evident.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Petro Points

easy solution is to split the 2 Schultz and have them both on the right side.

Whitney can be paired with one of them and the other gets Fistric..

Old
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Nobody knows the truth. He's a major liability out there. I think he's averaging about 16 minutes per game. Confusing to say the least.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
misfit

Even at the end of last year, when Schultz and Whitney were together, Whitney played RD. When Fistric has been in the lineup, Whitney played the right side.

I'm guessing a big part of the Potter deal is because they like Whitney on the left.

Either way, Potter sucks and shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Last edited by misfit: 01-31-2013 at 05:36 PM.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Apparently he was in great shape when the lockout ended. I would argue its not his physical attributes that are the problem. It's his mental mistakes that are the most frustrating right now.

An example of this was when he tried to clear the puck up the middle in the final minute against Phoenix. That bonehead play led to the tying goal seconds later.

Fistric isn't costing us any goals on the ice and he adds a physical element to the team. Whitney needs to suck it up and play the right side because he's barely useful on the left hand side right now and Potter isn't reliable enough to stay in the lineup.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Petro Points

Hey its been a while since EDM fans boo'd someone out the town.. Potter might be the next victim if he dresses a few more times at home and stinks the joint.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Added a poll so we can see what HFOil thinks.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
pretty obvious question here..
One guy sucks, the other is out of shape.

If you add Teubert as option I will pick it since I consider Fistric a #5 Dman ahead of Whitney.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Potter is such a jabroni, I honestly don't know what RK sees in him. I get it, he was in fantastic shape when he came in, good give him a game or two. But man I think he's shown quite clearly why he's a jobber. The guy sucks.

01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
easy solution is to split the 2 Schultz and have them both on the right side.

Whitney can be paired with one of them and the other gets Fistric..
We have a BINGO! I just posted the exact same thing in another thread. Fistric can clear the net for Justin.

01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Potter is such a jabroni, I honestly don't know what RK sees in him. I get it, he was in fantastic shape when he came in, good give him a game or two. But man I think he's shown quite clearly why he's a jobber. The guy sucks.
If Fistric is out of shape you sure as hell couldn't tell by his play on the ice.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
pretty obvious question here..
One guy sucks, the other is out of shape.

If you add Teubert as option I will pick it since I consider Fistric a #5 Dman ahead of Whitney.
Obvious to us lowly fans, but not so to the Oilers higher ups. I want to see exactly how large the vote goes to Fistric. Are we just very vocal complainers and a good amount of HFOil thinks Potter should have the spot? Or is 90%+ of HF mind boggled by Kruegers decision to keep playing Potter over Fistric?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Aerchon

While I can not say Potter has been great I think people are just jumping on the bandwagon rather than looking at his body of work.

He has yet to be directly responcible for a goal against. A lot of people are trying thier damnest to blame him for some of the goals against and it is just rediculas.

He is our # 6 guy. We couldn't afford a great #6 guy with the salary cap and how much our kids will cost.

He is playing at least as well as Whitney and IMO considerably better than Whitney overall. For 1/4 the cost.

Is a natural RD which is nice.

Was 100% better than Peckam last year.

Decent puck mover. Good on the PP. Good shot. Big. Fiesty. I think decent positioning. Good skater... Not a lot to complain about for a #6 guy.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
While I can not say Potter has been great I think people are just jumping on the bandwagon rather than looking at his body of work.

He has yet to be directly responcible for a goal against. A lot of people are trying thier damnest to blame him for some of the goals against and it is just rediculas.

He is our # 6 guy. We couldn't afford a great #6 guy with the salary cap and how much our kids will cost.

He is playing at least as well as Whitney and IMO considerably better than Whitney overall. For 1/4 the cost.

Decent puck mover. Good on the PP. Good shot. Big. Fiesty. I think decent positioning. Good skater... Not a lot to complain about for a #6 guy.
Chasing a guy into the corner against a 6 on 4 powerplay, makes him largely responsible for the game going into overtime lastnight.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Spawn

Quote:

As was pointed out in the OP. On for 4 of the 6 ES goals against in the games he has played absolutely is something to complain about for a #6 defenseman. And his good shot/good on the PP is irrelavant in that he gets zero PP time.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Chasing a guy into the corner against a 6 on 4 powerplay, makes him largely responsible for the game going into overtime lastnight.
Noticed that myself. I am not sure if I'd call that chasing so much as pressuring. Which is exactly what the defender directly facing the puck carrier is supposed to do in an odd man situation.

What he failed to do IMO is get his stick in the lane of the pass to the middle. He should of been cheating to the front of the net because the pass behind the net was far less dangerous.

Still not something you can blame someone for. The pass made it out front to the one of the two extra opponents and picked off an easy goal.

It's 6 on 4. Not even strength. No one played that poorly.

EDIT: Spawn response: Whitney is far more to blame than Potter on those goals and most those goals were when the seoncd line was on as well. With all the defensive responcibility, or lack there of, as support for our bottom pairing.

Realisticly speaking no team is perfect. We wont end up with Suter & Weber for our bottom pairing. And when our bottom pairing and our second line is out we can expect most our goals against will happen then. As long as we win more than we lose I am not going to be shocked or upset that the top lines of opposing teams manage to score on our weakest line up. Especialy on odd man situations.

Last edited by Aerchon: 01-31-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Horseradish

The stupidity of coaching and management sometimes astound me.

A) Fistric is SO much better than Potter, even with him at RD and his discomfort, he's still invariably more valuable than Potter.

B) Screw getting Whitney going. If he can't get it together, you stop playing him. Brett Clark has shown, even as late as last year, that he's more than capable of playing bottom pairing minutes and staying above water.

C) Wasting a roster spot on Hordichuk is stupid. It feels like they're doing it because traditionally you needed an enforcer. You don't now, and he can't play well enough to make himself useful...and when he's dressed for games, he hardly plays, so he just makes it that harder on the rest of the team. STOP PLAYING HIM. GET HIM OFF THE ROSTER.

D) If they feel they need a tough guy for a game or two, they can always pluck somebody off waivers-- enforcers are always on waivers. And then waive them after they're no longer needed.

E) Why is Peckham on this roster? 1+ million for a #8 d-man? First of all, it's stupid financial management. Secondly, he's another type, a stay-at-home fringe NHLer in his mid 20s that is ALWAYS on waivers. Can always fill that role via waivers or, logically, with Brett Clark.

F) Khabibulin. He was SO bad last year, they can't possibly have any other reason to have him on the roster other than his price tag. Well what's more important? Getting value out of somebody who no longer has any? Or winning games? If Khabibulin's 5-10 starts are terrible and cost the Oilers the playoffs, they'll lose out on more money (from playoffs revenue) than Khabibulin will cost them. Dumb.

It's all just common sense, and it's so infuriating that guys making hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to make these kinds of decisions can't see what's clear as day.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Asher

According to Stauffer we (ie. the fans) are wasting way too much time mulling over something as insignificant as this question.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Pretty close so far!

I have honestly never seen such a uniform response on this board.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If Fistric is out of shape you sure as hell couldn't tell by his play on the ice.
I've heard Fistric is very committed to staying in good shape. Nothing we need to worry about here.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Noticed that myself. I am not sure if I'd call that chasing so much as pressuring. Which is exactly what the defender directly facing the puck carrier is supposed to do in an odd man situation.

What he failed to do IMO is get his stick in the lane of the pass to the middle. He should of been cheating to the front of the net because the pass behind the net was far less dangerous.

Still not something you can blame someone for. The pass made it out front to the one of the two extra opponents and picked off an easy goal.

Not when you are down by 2 men. When you are down 2 guys you clog up the middle and try to disrupt cross ice passes and keep shots to the outside. Chasing/pressuring the puck carrier only opens up 2 on 1 situations down low cause you've removed yourself from the dangerous scoring areas. Which is exactly what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Pretty close so far!

I have honestly never seen such a uniform response on this board.
Yakupov over Murray was about as one sided as I've seen an HFOil poll. We'll see how this one goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
According to Stauffer we (ie. the fans) are wasting way too much time mulling over something as insignificant as this question.
So we shouldn't be *****ing about the guy who is primarily bleeding goals this season? Stauffer is really an apologist at this point.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

His lackadaisical effort (slow feet + wide turn) applied no pressure to Yandle and as you pointed out he completely failed to get his stick into the obvious passing lane.

Potter is dumb and Potter is lazy. If it were up to me, he'd never play another game in Blue and Orange.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:00 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Depth players win and lose games for their teams all of the time. Picking the right ones to play is definitely significant.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote